Portal achievement guide

Who has managed to do Chamber 17 (chapter 9) least steps on the 360?

I can get to 108 steps right before the stairs leading up to the button near the end, but the people in the videos are at about 85 steps here.

What kind of run/jump technique did you use if you finished it?

I tried doing the recommended jump, crouch, jump while running thing but it was no better than just running and jumping.

As far as moving about in non-Portalable areas, it's a matter of getting down timing. I myself did no crouching, running while jumping every other step (again, it's a timing thing). Referring to the second video I posted earlier, you can stand perfectly still and manage to activate all three platforms. This method is admittedly based on fair amount on luck, however, and can take a while to get (took me 25 minutes to get all three platforms up).

The video below has an alternate method of raising the third platform (probably the hardest of the three to get up), though I admit I've not tried it. It also contains the method I used for delivery of the cube to the final section (leaving it next to an open Portal, and connecting it on the floor in the button room). Note that I wasn't able to Portal jump to the second platform and bounce (jump just as you land to preserve the momentum) to the third, but rather Portal jump to the first and bounce to the second. This adds a fairly inconsequential amount of steps, but you might be able to do it better than I.

In any case, good luck!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tou_Uycv-8g&feature=related]YouTube - Portal Chamber 17 Least Steps Gold[/ame]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the timed and least portal runs for Chamber 17 it seems people use a stack the camera's then stand on the companion cube way of getting up that wall. Is that possible on the 360 version?

There aren't many different videos out there of this run that I could find and in the regular game I tried doing something similar with unlimited time and found it nearly impossible.

On the timed and least portal runs for Chamber 17 it seems people use a stack the camera's then stand on the companion cube way of getting up that wall. Is that possible on the 360 version?

There aren't many different videos out there of this run that I could find and in the regular game I tried doing something similar with unlimited time and found it nearly impossible.

Yeah I did that yesterday and managed.

For the timed one, you have to stack one camera if we're watching the same video, so do it exactly like he does it.

You can have either end up, but get the camera to stand up then put it a foot or so out from the wall and put the box in the crack.

The box will tilt, then jump up on the camera then up on the box and the ledge, turn around, crouch and pick the box up.

I tried doing the box jump glitch but after 20 minutes, could get up there no problem but without the box.

Just save every step of the way and use one camera to get up there.

Thanks for the advice Woahh. I have a tip for people who are having a problem getting the camera to stand up the right way. When you drop to the floor, take out the camera that is above the hallway to your left as you enter the room from the top, wait until you are right below it before you shoot the second portal to make it fall and catch it before it hits the floor, it will be in the perfect setup to use as a step for the companion cube.

I did this several times and each time the camera fell and I caught it at the perfect angle. Then all you have to do is space it properly away from the wall you have to traverse so the companion cube will sit properly and you can hop up, turn, and grab it. I finished the challenge with 3 seconds to spare.

Just to clarify this is for the timed challenge in Chamber 17.

I just completed Portal Chamber 17 least steps challenge and I thought I might say how I did it.

By the time you get to where they drop the companion cube I had 13 steps.

By the time I got up using the companion cube as a step where the first energy ball bounces up against the wall I had 33. Shoot a portal on the wall there. (I used orange)

By the time I got to the end of the hallway with the companion cube and I was looking down on the room where you need to shoot a portal so the energy cube can raise all the platforms I had 83.

I used a blue portal to angle the energy ball into the two rooms on the floor and the one above the room it's not easy but it's not extremely hard either just keep trying and you will get it.

Make sure you raise the platforms in the proper order or it won't release a third energy ball for you. The proper order is the one on the left as you enter the room, the easy one you bank shot that is elevated, and the one on the bottom right that is the hardest to get.

Portal the companion cube to the ground in the right corner next to the left room doorway. Then portal jump to the second platform and run and jump to the third. This should add another 7 steps or so. Then turn around and shoot a portal near the companion cube so you can get it when you are near the red button.

By the time I jumped from the 3rd platform up the stairs to the red button and placed the companion cube on it I was at 109 steps. From there you can get the gold you just have to keep trying until you get it down. I finished with 149 steps.

Anyway...that's how I did it.

Man I am so close to getting the stupid timed run on Challenge 18. I keep trying to do it with one run through because if I try and break it up into parts like I did the other ones it seems I get nowhere.

I just keep choking. So close but so far away. I hope the steps one isn't a real ball breaker.

• 3 months later...

So I just finished bronze and silver. The steps are the hardest. I have learned a trick though. Shoot a potal where you want to go (**KEEP IT ON THE GROUND**). Then shoot a portal under you. When you come out of the portal, shoot a portal anywhere else. You should be where you need to be, and shouldn't have taken any steps.

I'll edit the guide so it includes this tip

Edited by laundryman

Im really starting to get pissed off the number 16 ive tried for a day striaght and still havent done it the cube things does seem to work for me as the tureet see to push you back with there bullets. And if tried using portals like some of the other videos im going full speed not hitting anything and still only getting like 60 sec i dont no what to do. Do the cheats work on achievements because i dont think i can hack this anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is struggling with least steps test chamber 17 use this video. The guy shows you how to do a little portal glitch which cuts off most of the map. It takes a few goes to do the glitch but it makes it super easy.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=36qrygVbbME&feature=related]YouTube - Portal Chamber 17 in 138 steps[/ame]

If the video does not work search this guy in youtube FatSwinub or search this in youtube Portal Chamber 17 in 138 steps. I spent about 3mins trying to do this portal challenge due to this video. You can also use it to do the portal and time challenge aswell.

Edited by Spades12321

• 2 weeks later...

Just and update to everyone having trouble with gold medal challenges, I found a particularly useful video on youtube showing how to get the least portal gold challenges for every course :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms--UV3X9AE]All Gold Medals Video[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just and update to everyone having trouble with gold medal challenges, I found a particularly useful video on youtube showing how to get the least portal gold challenges for every course :)

Good video, but for the very first one how do I do that cube flinging thing he does? You know where he launches it onto the button, I have no idea how to do that. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I realised I have to press RT, not X.

Edited by Crimson Ridley