Do you think Limbo is a strong example for the "games are art" argument?

FrozenImplosion

Do you think Limbo is a strong example for the "games are art" argument?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Limbo is a strong example for the "games are art" argument?

• Yes, definitely. Limbo is up there with Shadow of the Colossus.
    • Yes, probably. Limbo could be an example I guess.
    • No, definitely not. Limbo is not art.
    • No, Limbo is not art and games never will be.

I think it is allthough when viewing this it would be like Dial M for Murder in the movie world. It is not for everyone and it is artsy. To be fair I think most people in the USA if they played this would not enjoy it. I am cool with knowing that only a few would really enjoy it. i think because of the different feel it has is what makes it worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I understand where you're going with that, but saying Jumper is artistically equivalent is like saying that all fine art is equal as well. Like I agree that either all games are art, or none are. But I don't agree that all games are on equal levels of artistic value.

Sorry, excuse the late reply, been a while since I'd last thought to visit this site

I'm not saying they're equal in any way other than in being good examples of art. Being a good example of art does not necessarily mean something is an example of good art (and of course, what makes something "good art" is completely subjective.)

What I was trying to imply in my first post is that a list of gaming's paragons will not do much to change the mind of anyone who denies gaming's craft (unless the dissenter is a moron, and only labels that which suites their tastes as art.) When the likes of Roger Ebert opine that they don't think games were/are/will ever be art, they aren't implying that there isn't yet a game that has reached some kind of standard or level of quality required to be considered art. They are saying they think that the elements that comprise this medium and make ALL video games unique from other art (unparalleled interactivity and immersion, control, and (probably most importantly) things like engine and logic performance(and hell, I still don't think I've listed them all)) cannot now, and never will be, considered an art form; Excellence in conception, arrangement, and execution be damned.

Edited by Cheezus Chrust

There was an article about this in Game Informer magazine issue 207, july 2010. It was a great read about a couple of games in particular; Shadow of the Colossus, Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Braid, Super Mario Bros, Little Big Planet, and Bioshock. And in the braid portion they also mention Limbo in the same retrospect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loving Limbo so far.. it's very ominous and creepy. The deaths are brutal, the puzzles are challenging, but not impossible. I hope they make a sequel!

I would also love for a Shadow of the Colossus game to come to xbox.. I played it on the PS2 and it is very serene and open. With the graphics engines of today it would be an amazing game with picture perfect backgrounds. I would buy the same game if they gave it an upgrade to the 360.

According to Wikipedia, Shadow of the Colossus is going to be re-released with 'Ico' for the PS3 in spring of 2011. Wiki also mentions a possible movie in pre-production slated for release in 2012.. which could be a visually amazing film.

Thank god I have a PS3.. that will be a must buy.

Edited by Xenolith666

• 2 weeks later...

I know I had to buy this as soon as I saw the art style. I love it, and have bought games largely on the art in the past: Blueberry Garden springs to mind, as does The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom. I place the unreleased 'The Unfinished Swan' in the same category.

Edited by radmin6666

• 9 months later...
The rule of art: If you have to question if its art, it is.

Sadly you are mistaken.

Dont get me wrong, I think the game is extremely good, very atmospheric and the ending genuinley makes you think. But in order for something to be art, it must have no purpose whatsoever other than to simply exist and be looked at. It is the reason a car can never be classed as art.

I (relecutantly) voted that games are not art and never will be.

Edited by pined5551

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Limbo conquered the concept of games as an art form, and executed it EXQUISITELY. The first time I played the game I was completely speechless at how beautiful it was, and could not find a single criticism for it. I definitely look forward to seeing the next Limbo project!

• 2 weeks later...