What's your 3v3 Strategies?

sqeaky4100

I mostly play 3v3 since I find it the most fun... But I find myself choosing a different leader and setup every time.

For me, the following works:

Cutter with ODST and Guess Hogs

Anders with 20 hawks

Arbiter/Prohpet with 25 banshees

That's pending I don't get rushed... but if I do get time to tech up to those it's usally in my favor.

However, I find that more and more people are attacking quicker, so I have to adapt to it as well. But I just have no clue what the best "rushing" strategy is in 3v3.

What build order do you follow, what leaders do you use, what time do you start attacking... etc etc in 3v3?

This is the correct answer.

/endthread

Ok.. but:

Who do you normally play as?

What do you start with?

You can't just upgrade something fully, get attacked, and then decide to "adapt" to something else while getting completely obliterated. You have to normally start off with a common goal.

Ok.. but:

Who do you normally play as?

What do you start with?

You can't just upgrade something fully, get attacked, and then decide to "adapt" to something else while getting completely obliterated. You have to normally start off with a common goal.

I normally play with "Random All"

I don't care who my leader is, I make it random so I enjoy the game more thoroughly and it gives me a challenge to adapt to a certain situation.

You NEVER have to start with a common goal.

Here's an example:

Generally people who play as Anders go straight for Hawks, if I'm Anders and I'm playing Anders, I'd scout their base to check to see what they're building. The majority of the time, I'll use Scorpions and Wolverines, kick Anders' ass every time.

Another correct answer.

A+.

/threadend

So you scout their base, by the time you can actually see what their going for, it's usually too late... I mean, ok 5min in I see Ander's is going hawks... that only gives me about another 6min to make and upgrade to a fleet of wolverines - thats not going to happen.

In 3v3 I would have each player send their scout unit to each of the opponents. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to see the base. You can select a structure being built and it'll tell you what it is. While your units are scouting, your build a reactor/temple or supply pad as they're pretty much needed no matter what. You should see their building queue (they'll most likely queue up all the pads so you'll see them all) and adapt yours. This should all happen before your reactor/temple is done (the supply one will complete quicker). You could replace the starting reactor/temple or supply pad with a something else if you're worried about time that much.

Edited by AnimeCommander

me and my 3 mates play random all. you say we need strategy i dont.

well kinda my strategy is Tech up. but not 1 unit at a time, i tech everything even if i dont use it. i build an extrememly varied army so when i get attacked i can fend off anything. then i keep to varied army but adapt the quantities depending on what i jsut got attacked by. then after i get attacked a few times i go in for the attack. when there armies just been taken out.

if they some reason dont attac i scout to find what there armies are.

in general though you can tell what human leaders build by there leader, (though not 100% of the time.

if i choose my own leader i always pick anders, as shes my fave and she just so happens to suit my play style.

but if im playing against ander i dont use my hawks at all. wolverines and Cobras..

usually i play with the same 2 players. im better than them so our 3 way plan is them 2 make a joint army and attack, while i distract, as i can almost always hole off attacks. iv even managed to hole of 3 armies at once a few times. not often but sometimes, 2 armies is easy, and its extremely rare for me to be beat by 1 guys army.

but because my armies take time to fully build/upgrade. im not very good in 1v1. as my team usually helps me in the early stages of the match.

in 1v1 i change my tactic.

and if i get rushed. im very good with my Spartans and flamers.

In 3v3 I would have each player send their scout unit to each of the opponents. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to see the base. You can select a structure being built and it'll tell you what it is. While your units are scouting, your build a reactor/temple or supply pad as they're pretty much needed no matter what. You should see their building queue (they'll most likely queue up all the pads so you'll see them all) and adapt yours. This should all happen before your reactor/temple is done (the supply one will complete quicker). You could replace the starting reactor/temple or supply pad with a something else if you're worried about time that much.

That's how I go usually as well... I build everything but the final bases ( Vehicle Depot, Air Pad, etc ) and then I tech up to whatever...

But that leads to almost everyone playing that way, and so it's pointless to scout right away - you'll only see a temple/supplies pads/reactors. You won't see an AIR PAD for Anders, a Vehicle depot for Forge right away anytime sooner than 5min. The right away scouting might only work against Cutter who will make infantry right away.

Used to create like 20 or 30 banshees but I found out they are useless. 4 turrets and a few spartans can eliminate 30+ banshees without any problems.

A Prophet and 25 Banshees completely owns. ( you can't make 30 Banshees )... Upgrade the Banshees to suicide ability and they'll take down a base in no time - a single banshees going into a turret will take it's health down 1/2 alone. 25 Banshees too from my experience has about the same firepower as 18-20 hawks, add in suicide and boost abilities and they're a force to be reckoned with. Loosing a fight? Hit 'Y' and run away to regroup and remake, you should never lose all your banshees in a single battle.

Edited by sqeaky4100

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
That's how I go usually as well... I build everything but the final bases ( Vehicle Depot, Air Pad, etc ) and then I tech up to whatever...

Building every type of production building early game is a rookie mistake. Supply pads are much more useful, assuming you've enough reactors for your current goals.

But that leads to almost everyone playing that way, and so it's pointless to scout right away - you'll only see a temple/supplies pads/reactors. You won't see an AIR PAD for Anders, a Vehicle depot for Forge right away anytime sooner than 5min. The right away scouting might only work against Cutter who will make infantry right away.

The more you type the more it seems you don't know how to play this RTS game. Considering how online matches more than likely will consist of a player rushing you with starter units, it's obviously not "pointless to scout right away". Is the UNSC base flashing and spitting out warthogs? Welp, guess they're hog rushing. Suicide grunts gathering infront of the Convenant base? Looks like the Arbiter is kamikaze rushing.

Early scouting will also give you information on whether or not your opponents are teching, steamrolling or what have you.

A Prophet and 25 Banshees completely owns. ( you can't make 30 Banshees )... Upgrade the Banshees to suicide ability and they'll take down a base in no time - a single banshees going into a turret will take it's health down 1/2 alone. 25 Banshees too from my experience has about the same firepower as 18-20 hawks, add in suicide and boost abilities and they're a force to be reckoned with. Loosing a fight? Hit 'Y' and run away to regroup and remake, you should never lose all your banshees in a single battle.

Yeah? And the moment your break away to "regroup and remake" the UNSC base will have unlocked and released all the gathering Wolverines that have been in production while the towers whittled down your aviary force. Sticking to a single unit type is and always will be a mistake.

As for my own personal strategy? Adapt to the enemy.

If the enemy is mass producting air units (aka covenant has only a summit or UNSC has an airpad), it's Wolverines [Vampires] for me with a contigency force of Scorpions [Jackals/Hunters w/ Hero] -- and if I'm up against an Anders [Forge], I'll be sure to constantly manuever my Wolverines [Vampires] around to avoid their Cryo [Carpet Bomb].

Up against marines or Covenant infantry? Tanks, air units, infantry of my own or a mixture of any will do. [Jackals with Hero and Hunters as a contingency plan for Covenant.]

Enemy vehicles? Well, depending on what you're up against (most likely UNSC, considering Covenant has shit for vehicles), it'll be Cobras with Tanks or marines as back up [Hunters with my Hero and/or jackals as backup.]

And if the enemy is coming at you with a mixture of the above unit types, I like to use what I call the 7-7-7 strategy (assuming you're Covenant).

7 jackals, 7 hunters & 7 vampires. Once I have that, I add depending on the current army make-up of my opponent(s). Upgrades are dished out equally assuming the enemy team make-up continues to be well-rounded. Grunts do wonderful against air units, you'd be surprised. A pack of 5 engineers can be a godsend as well. Many times, if you're me, you won't even need to use your army as your Hero unit will already be 3-stars from beating on the rebel bases around the map -- flying around as an all-powerful Prophet can get boring from time to time, sadly though.

But honestly, as many people have stated already, the stupid players are those who run into a match with a 'set strategy'. "Hell yeah, I'm Anders. I'm going to build nothing but HAWKS!" "Forge here, you'll get nothing but TANKS from me!" It's so goddamn predictable the game suffers because of it. 1v1's end prematurely because I meet their force of 12+ tanks with 20+ semi-upgraded Hunters. What did he expect?

And it's obvious as hell when someone plans to rush. Base is locked and/or spewing out starter units, or their enemy hero isn't garnering EXP by beating on rebel bases (and instead beaming units onto them while enroute to your base).. yeah, not very sneaky, pal. I'll just package up some flamethrowers in my base while you pound lifelessly on that supply depot of mine. You'll be gone in less than 5 minutes -- sooner if my teammates are worth their weight in support.

But the biggest factor in whether or not you win? No joke, gathering the 90-supply packages scattered around the map. And if you're a Covenant, the 200 or so supply crates littered around the rebel bases add up very quickly. You can almost always determine whether a player is a Halo Wars veteran if their scout unit is in front of your base stealing the supply crates you couldn't be bothered to touch (which is funny because at the same time they're scouting for what buildings you're pursuing initially). If in the early game I see their scout unit just idly parked in front of their base, untouched, this game isn't going to be interesting at all. It'll either be a rush or them sticking to their Hero's "special unit" more often than not.. yeah, color me surprised after they forfeit the game after I stomp their army in less than two minutes flat.

Any player worth their salt will never have an idle scout unit. It should always be either collecting supplies or scouting the enemy base and/or force. Always.

Edited by Hishoa