Announcement on Guides & Awards

THE DEADLY DOG

Howdy ladies and gents of X360A,

As you all may be seeing, X360A is currently embarked upon a huge journey encompassing many big changes to the site. There is much in the works making 2013 a truly revolutionary year for X360A and we are glad to have such a strong community. We've got a little update announcement here that should hopefully clear up some confusion/mis-communication between some of the recent updates on awards and the products we here in the guide team are receiving and sorting through.

With the new plethora of awards coming out it's an exciting time for those of us who love to write guides and roadmaps and an even more exciting time for the award collector in all of us. We've been sitting down and discussing how to handle the new awards (i.e. micro awards) and how they in respect will effect our pre-existing awards. This announcement will hit three main points, hopefully alleviating some confusion that has arisen from all of these amazing changes.

How the awards work now:

In terms of Updates/Added info/Compiled info - We've agreed to

• Each G&R submitted after January 7th 2013 (the date the new awards were announced to the community--link to announcement--) will be subject to a proactive system of guide publishing. What does this mean? It means we will not be going back and redoing how awards were dealt out prior to the 7th, but every G&R produced afterwards will be compared to the new standards for awards.
  • Credit all who make any changes (no matter how big/small) that are published as the official [G] or [R].
  • Authors will not be given an award unless it was a significant change (50% of the final publishing is theirs)
  • The updated Roadmaps will not be stickied nor receive messages.

Micro Guides:

Micro Guides

• Micro Awards stand for all DLC. 50 games included.
  • A [G&R], [G], or [R] written for DLC is awarded 1 Micro Award. A second Micro Award can be earned for the same game if more DLC [G] or [R] is written.
  • [G&R] awards earned prior to [M] implementation will not be taken away. Only the [Guide] & [Roadmap] tracking counts will be affected.

Updating Guides and Roadmaps/Co-Written/Joint Credit

• Updating G&Rs is absolutely necessary for the longevity of our community. That being said, in order to get credit for an award you will need to update over 50% of the guide or map. This will be determined by a guide team member.
  • Co-written or Joint Credit will be noted if during the publishing process another member's [G&R&M] descriptions were included. (co-wrote) denotes this and is for awards purposes.
  • DLC is counted as a separate guide from the retail and therefore it will not be taken into account
  • DLC will have only have (co-wrotten) if there was another DLC guide that was used in the publishing process.

Tracking Forums - Published Guides Only

The tracking forums are for Awards purposes and only Published [G&R&M] are taken into account.

I want to thank everyone on behalf of the guide team for their strong work in producing some of the best quality guides on the internet and challenge everyone to make this year's achievement guides and roadmaps even better than before.

Any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to voice them. Until then...

~Live Long and Prosper~

Good post. This clarifies quite a bit. However, I'm not sure I understand the logic beyond not counting Micro guides and DLC Roadmaps as separate entities. It's a roadmap in the end. Those, especially for larger DLCs, are going to be the exact same as retail.

BTW. Last bold line. "Tracking Fourms"

Good post. This clarifies quite a bit. However, I'm not sure I understand the logic beyond not counting Micro guides and DLC Roadmaps as separate entities. It's a roadmap in the end. Those, especially for larger DLCs, are going to be the exact same as retail.

BTW. Last bold line. "Tracking Fourms"

The micro award by definition includes both G&R. In essence it is a mini-me version of combining a guide and roadmap. We've had some staunch discussion on it, and as of now, this is the path we are most confident in proceeding down.

*Blushes at editing error.* Thanks Stayon.

Solid post Deadly you've cleared some key points up. I was actually asking about the Micro guides in the other thread so that's necessary info.

Yup. Announcement has been in the works for a while, and quite a bit of discussion has been shed in the name of getting it correct. We are happy with what the Guide Team has become, and happy with the path we are going down. Hopefully this helps us go down the path together in full understanding of how everything works.

The micro award by definition includes both G&R. In essence it is a mini-me version of combining a guide and roadmap. We've had some staunch discussion on it, and as of now, this is the path we are most confident in proceeding down.

I guess so. But you are treating the 2 parts of a DLC guide as one entity and a retail game as 2. That's just what confuses me with the decision. It's smaller but still two parts. Not arguing with you, just discussing.

And before it's mentioned, no I'm not suggested a micro-roadmap award.

I guess so. But you are treating the 2 parts of a DLC guide as one entity and a retail game as 2. That's just what confuses me with the decision. It's smaller but still two parts. Not arguing with you, just discussing.

And before it's mentioned, no I'm not suggested a micro-roadmap award.

This is correct.

Also to add, if an Author has written a DLC [R] and earned +1 [M] for that Title - they will not earn a second +1 [M] if he/she later go back and write the DLC [G].

They will however, earn a second +1 [M] if they write the DLC [G] for a second DLC pack for that same Title.

To summarize - if you wrote the [G&R] for Halo, and wrote the Map Pack 1 DLC [G], and the Map Pack 2 [R]

You will earn

+1 [G]

+1 [R]

+2 [M]

The awards will remain unchanged if you went back and wrote the [G/R] counterparts for both DLC.

G Dog - You want me to move this entire thread or just make a duplicate post within the Announcements?

Just a question I wanted to ask. I've noticed that some guides which are published are not up to standard (Lack of details, errors etc). Some of these guides have been recently published, for example the Dragonball: Raging Blast guide.

This leads me to my question, how does a guide team member know if the information on the guide is valid?

Obviously other members may point errors out in the guide thread in the forums but again using Raging blast as an example it fits the the criteria I've stated. I think there should be more thorough checks on guides before publishing them (possibly if the guide team member publishing the game has played it or something?).

Just throwing my 2 cents out there, and hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

Just a question I wanted to ask. I've noticed that some guides which are published are not up to standard (Lack of details, errors etc). Some of these guides have been recently published, for example the Dragonball: Raging Blast guide.

This leads me to my question, how does a guide team member know if the information on the guide is valid?

Obviously other members may point errors out in the guide thread in the forums but again using Raging blast as an example it fits the the criteria I've stated. I think there should be more thorough checks on guides before publishing them (possibly if the guide team member publishing the game has played it or something?).

Just throwing my 2 cents out there, and hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

Some great points Jake. I know I am guilty of not knowing a lot of information on the guides I publish. If people are willing to go through the submissions section and find out if guides are wrought with misinformation then we can hold the guide. Let me know whatcha think mate.

Some great points Jake. I know I am guilty of not knowing a lot of information on the guides I publish. If people are willing to go through the submissions section and find out if guides are wrought with misinformation then we can hold the guide. Let me know whatcha think mate.

I just realised that you reviewed DB:RB, I didn't mean to single you out by the way, it was just an example from that came to my head instantaneously that fitted the mould I specified and it just so happened that you reviewed it (in other words, it was a coincidence and not a personal attack or anything).

I guess your suggestion could work, it just depends if people have time to sprawl through posts and posts just to correct and update achievement descriptions. I guess the "Update: Guides & Roadmaps" thread could be used if it also applied to pre-published work also. The thing is I'm not sure how active these threads are, thus It's possible that even though a section was created it may not even be used regularly.

Again don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound offensive, I understand that everyone is working for the better of the site and many people are putting in man-hours to achieve perfection but I think it's been a bit more of "quantity over quality" when it comes to publishing guides as of late.

Again, just my 2 cents on the matter.

^^^^ Just to add some clarification, if i come across a guide that i'm unsure of whether or not it is up to the site's standards, i often refer to the original thread because if the guide is lacking or doesn't provide enough info, people will not hesitate to post how it has helped them, or lack of. You and anyone else is welcome to post in those threads with tips or additional info to make the guide complete and robust:)

Having said that, please don't go through guide threads posting negative comments;)

^^^^ Just to add some clarification, if i come across a guide that i'm unsure of whether or not it is up to the site's standards, i often refer to the original thread because if the guide is lacking or doesn't provide enough info, people will not hesitate to post how it has helped them, or lack of. You and anyone else is welcome to post in those threads with tips or additional info to make the guide complete and robust:)

Having said that, please don't go through guide threads posting negative comments;)

Hehe, I'm not THAT insensitive. Some guides just have "thanks for the guide" or "it helped a lot" despite being pretty shoddy. Don't get me wrong, I came to the same conclusion as you, but sometimes the source doesn't help.

Hehe, I'm not THAT insensitive. Some guides just have "thanks for the guide" or "it helped a lot" despite being pretty shoddy. Don't get me wrong, I came to the same conclusion as you, but sometimes the source doesn't help.

I suppose it's just one of those problems we face when we have so many different voices writing so many guides. What makes us unique and refreshing at times can also hold us down.

I have been making an effort to be more active in reading what's actually in the guide, and putting the whole thing on pause if it isn't up the the standards of our community. I think this is the common consensus of the team as well, although I speak for myself.

Either way, it's something we can work on together and clear up with little confusion and little trouble.

Again don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound offensive, I understand that everyone is working for the better of the site and many people are putting in man-hours to achieve perfection but I think it's been a bit more of "quantity over quality" when it comes to publishing guides as of late.

There is some truth to this, but you've got to keep in mind that the GT has added in brand new members, and an entire new system has been launched to aid in speeding up the Publishing process for Guides and Awards. There has been a TON of new tools, methods, and systems thrown at both new and veteran GT members within only this last month.

Everyone has settled in really well and knocked out all our previous backlog and have gone so far as to creating their own projects to keep busy! With all this gained experience they have implemented a deny forum and begun to deny [G/R/M] content that isn't up to par.

Everyone should start to see a higher Quality of guides being published ;)

- If your [G/R/M] has been denied you have the option to fix it up and resubmit it if you wish. :) That would be awesome and is encouraged!

Cheers! ;)

There is some truth to this, but you've got to keep in mind that the GT has added in brand new members, and an entire new system has been launched to aid in speeding up the Publishing process for Guides and Awards. There has been a TON of new tools, methods, and systems thrown at both new and veteran GT members within only this last month.

Everyone has settled in really well and knocked out all our previous backlog and have gone so far as to creating their own projects to keep busy! With all this gained experience they have implemented a deny forum and begun to deny [G/R/M] content that isn't up to par.

Everyone should start to see a higher Quality of guides being published ;)

I see, I never knew that there was such a thing. Now that I know this fact I hope consistent high quality guides/roadmaps become a reality.

- If your [G/R/M] has been denied you have the option to fix it up and resubmit it if you wish. :) That would be awesome and is encouraged!

Cheers! ;)

I take it people who get denied will receive some sort of indication of this?

I guess my new goal is to never be rejected when I submit a guide or roadmap =)

I see, I never knew that there was such a thing. Now that I know this fact I hope consistent high quality guides/roadmaps become a reality.

I'm glad something is getting done about some of the half assed guides an Roadmaps. when i look at the sister site(PS3T, i hold my head in shame when i compare guides because our guides were once ace and these days theirs always look like they put 110% into them.

i still love x360a though.:drunk our guides just need to be the better of the 2 sites again.:p

I'm glad something is getting done about some of the half assed guides an Roadmaps. when i look at the sister site(PS3T, i hold my head in shame when i compare guides because our guides were once ace and these days theirs always look like they put 110% into them.

i still love x360a though.:drunk our guides just need to be the better of the 2 sites again.:p

Same here, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this as a problem.

Same here, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this as a problem.

Feel free to help out like I started doing. I noticed a decline in some quality and a lot of missing info so I'm now finally helping out here after years of lurking. Not saying you aren't helping out so don't take it like that! Just pretty much saying that if any of us sees anything that isn't up to snuff, we do have the tools and ability at our disposal to pitch in and help make the content better. :)

Feel free to help out like I started doing. I noticed a decline in some quality and a lot of missing info so I'm now finally helping out here after years of lurking. Not saying you aren't helping out so don't take it like that! Just pretty much saying that if any of us sees anything that isn't up to snuff, we do have the tools and ability at our disposal to pitch in and help make the content better. :)

I don't know man, I just expected these things to be done naturally, obviously if your job is to publish guides first you must look at the quality. That is why guides must meet certain requirements to be published. Therefore logic dictates that the guides should be very good, which in the recent case it has been in decline.

I do help out where I can, for example in the Blazblue Continuum shift guide I pointed out numerous errors and corrections. The dragonball RB guide I spoke about before is also something I may help out in the future if I have time.

The way I'll help to site is by making good quality guides, that way if there is something wrong I can only blame myself. Clueless did say that now the Guide team have extra EXP (they levelled up and got a new passive skill) that we should be looking forward to better guides.

Like I said before, I'm only acting in the interest of the site, and yes, if I spot errors I will point them out.

We aren't fools. If a guide looks weak we aren't rushing it through the presses like hot potato. Like Clueless said we have had to buckle down and take a second and third look at the guides that are submitted.

I know I'm personally taking more time for each guide and really thinking about whether or not the guide should be published or asked to be reworked / moved to Greenbook.

We are only one small team of people with obligations elsewhere and most of all are only human. Together with the help of those that want to better the community as a whole we will see the quality of the guides rise tremendously.

The way I'll help to site is by making good quality guides, that way if there is something wrong I can only blame myself. Clueless did say that now the Guide team have extra EXP (they levelled up and got a new passive skill) that we should be looking forward to better guides.

Another way to help that the Guide Team would appreciate is speaking up if you spot a guide for a game you know and that you feel isn't up to par. For the most part we can tell a good guide from a bad guide but often on the surface a guide will look complete and relevant but because the person publishing it hasn't played the game we may not know if vital info is missing or wrong.

In addition to the quality of guides, this is one of the reasons we recently reminded everyone that rushed guides will not be tolerated. (I posted an announcement in Submit forum, seeing how i'm now a Level 10 publisher:p)

In addition to the quality of guides, this is one of the reasons we recently reminded everyone that rushed guides will not be tolerated. (I posted an announcement in Submit forum, seeing how i'm now a Level 10 publisher:p)

Just curious, whats a level 10 publisher? Never seen the terminology used on the forums before.