Few Questions Before I Buy

atryeu

Hi everybody! I'm new here and finally after years of asking got my first Xbox 360 for Christmas this year. I still have a ways to go on my first game but I want to decide on my 2nd game so I can look for one on my next trip to town. I'm trying to decide between this or Red Dead Redemption (if the store even has either one of them in stock).

I have played Morrowind and am wondering if the Quest Log setup has been improved on or not. The one in Morrowind was awful and I had to keep a ton of notes for quick reference in a notepad. It also drove me insane getting so far into the game only to have it constantly freeze. Do I need to worry about it freezing up like it did with Morrowind?

Also, I don't have high speed internet in my area, so no XBox Live. Are there many achievements or other activities that require Live in Oblivion? I'm sad that I'm already missing out on 10 achievements in my first game due to no Live access.

Thank you in advance!

Oblivion has no xbox live functionality, it's all single player.

I've never played Morrowind, so i may not be tyhe best to ask. As for questing it's all very easy. You have a quest journal which shows active quests, you can view the quest stages and key points for that quest in the journal. You can select one active quest and your map will be marked with locations of where you need to go/speak to and things like that.

I personally had no problem with it as all important quest-related information is logged in your journal.

So, +1 to Oblivion

Thank you for the fast reply! I'm glad to hear I don't have to worry about missing out on Live features on this game.

Your information was just find for the Questing, thank you! With Morrowind, you had pretty much just a journal that keeps track of your quests and other random information, however there was no organization at all and by the end of the game you have 100+ pages you are trying to sort through to figure out where some information is you needed for a location or whatever. I had to get one of those cheap notebooks and start making basic notes of the quests and note the pages they are referenced on to find any sort of information. It was a great game, but the whole quest log feature was just awful!

Any problems with the game randomly freezing? In Morrowind, after you get so far and start collecting a bunch of items it would start randomly freezing and force you to restart and hope you had remembered to save often enough.

It sounds like they hopefully fixed that problem as well then or it would be very noticeable!

Thank you so much for the information! I'm hoping to find a ride to town next week if the weather clears up a little here. I'm still torn about which game and it will depend which is in stock but I'm happy to hear some of the old issues won't be a problem in this one if I go with it next!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anybody who cares.... I tried to find this game today in town. Target didn't have it, which is where my gift card was for. We stopped by GameStop after that though and they told me because it's an old game they don't sell Oblivion brand new anymore, even though they do on their site and the game was released whenever that was with all the new goodies so it's not really "that" old. Walmart had it last month but I couldn't get a ride over there, but it's the point. It made me so mad for them to say you can't buy it new anymore when you can elsewhere (not to mention on their own website).

I did find Red Dead Redemption so I can work on that at least, and hopefully Walmart will have Oblivion next time I'm in town.

Thanks for all the info!

That's the version I saw at Walmart and the one I am hoping for. I'm having somebody check at the Fred Meyer store for me because I'll get a discount if they find it there, otherwise whenever I get to town next I'll be able to check Walmart to see if they still have it. It's hard to order online since I don't have a credit card so it means buying prepaid cards but that will be my last resort if these other places don't have it *sigh* Not sure when I could get it online if that's the route I'd have to go though.

• 2 months later...

I was alerted to a new reply but I guess they deleted their post *sigh* Oh well....

Update! I still couldn't find the game in town anywhere -_- I ended up getting Fable 2 in town but couldn't find 3, so I looked online and grabbed both Fable 3 and Oblivion (GOTY) and the tracking info says they should get here today finally :) I have Assassins Creed 2 to start before I start any of these others though. I'm a bit side tracked with a book series but I'm almost done and will be ready to jump into my new games soon :)

Yeah, I seen your reply wrote in the email notification and I figured somethign happened on the forums LoL

I hate the quest guides... I like to find things myself in games.... it makes it a bit more of a challenge :)

And yay, I literally *just* got the package as I was replying to this message. Oblivion is at the end of my list for now still, but I can't wait to start it!

Alright, thanks! I loved Morrowind (minus the annoying glitches that freeze the game almost constantly). I opened it up and have it and Fable 3 both installed on my HD okay now, so hopefully that means they will both work and I don't need to worry about that. I'm annoyed that it didn't come with a manual though, it had a slip of paper with a link to go download the manual -_- It's nicer to have it right there instead of having to read it on the computer which is nowhere near the game console :(

I have 1 question off the top of my head, otherwise I'm normally good with the games. It's more fun to figure things out on my own :) I've heard that 1 of the expansions tends to have a glitch with some guy. I don't recall the details of the glitch though but I guess it's a very common problem. If you know which one I'm talking about, any ideas to keep me from accidently running into it? I installed both expansions, to make sure there were no errors on the 2nd disc as well.

I have a few things to finish before I start my next game, but I hope to start my next one by/before this weekend.

Alright, thanks! I loved Morrowind (minus the annoying glitches that freeze the game almost constantly). I opened it up and have it and Fable 3 both installed on my HD okay now, so hopefully that means they will both work and I don't need to worry about that. I'm annoyed that it didn't come with a manual though, it had a slip of paper with a link to go download the manual -_- It's nicer to have it right there instead of having to read it on the computer which is nowhere near the game console :(

I have 1 question off the top of my head, otherwise I'm normally good with the games. It's more fun to figure things out on my own :) I've heard that 1 of the expansions tends to have a glitch with some guy. I don't recall the details of the glitch though but I guess it's a very common problem. If you know which one I'm talking about, any ideas to keep me from accidently running into it? I installed both expansions, to make sure there were no errors on the 2nd disc as well.

I have a few things to finish before I start my next game, but I hope to start my next one by/before this weekend.

Hmmmmm.....I never encountered/heard of any glitch....I only did Shivering Isles though I never played the other one.

I forget which expansion it was on. I don't remember if it was my brother I had heard about it from or somewhere else. I glanced through the forums and over at GameFaqs but I didn't see anything. I didn't look very hard though... I didn't want to run into spoilers LoL I have a ways before I get to this game though so I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'll have to ask my brother again too and see if it was him I heard from....