How to successfully fix the "chaudown" bug!

I'd like to request that this method be pegged at the top of this forum so people can fix this if they mess up.

I finally managed to find a way to retry and get the Chaudown achievement. This is so far not a 100% guarantee, but it is a possibility for resetting your chance at getting this achievement. Follow this guide

First you need to delete the game in your memory. Next, get an XBL silver profile that ISN'T the one that purchased the game (if it doesn't reset see note 1). Now after you have the profile signed in go and download the trial game for Scott Pilgrim, when the game menu loads up ("press start"). Then sign in as the profile you want to get the achievement with and play the trial SOLO. After you've beaten Matthew Patel it'll prompt you to buy the game, say "unlock full game" and hit "download again" which'll unlock the full game (costing nothing since you already have it). After you get the game again then ALL the info should be reset, as in no Negascott and everyone (except whoever you played as in the trial) set back to level 1 and all leaderboard stuff should also be reset. Now here you can restart and have another chance to get "Chaudown", here's the path that I personally took (you may unlock it with our without cheats, this is just the path I took):

1. I used NO cheats and play on Easy difficulty

2. On my first playthrough I got Mr. Chau before ever getting to Gideon or beating the game and used both Mr. and Mrs. Chau as strikers before beating the game

3. I played no multiplayer at all (by this I also did not move my money to another character, I started all over from scratch with each)

4. I never fought Mr. Chau as any other character

5. I used default colors only

6. I used strikers semi-regularly

Again I do not know if you need to do all this stuff I'm just describing what I used to get it.

After all this stuff and playing through every time I actually unlocked the achievement as soon as I used Negascott. Now the game is complete for me. Good luck to you and I wish you the best! If this achievement doesn't unlock for you then I apologize, you may need to try again.

Note 1: I was told by a forum member that you must not have ANY info at all that the trial profile has ever played the game, if you encounter this problem and your info doesn't reset then download the trial and make a local only profile and load up the trial game, then start it and choose the profile you want the achievement with in the main menu, now return back to the guide where you left off.

Edited by RealistIdealist

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. On your first playthrough get Mr. Chau before ever getting to Gideon or beating the game and use both Mr. and Mrs. Chau as strikers before beating the game (I'm 90% sure that this is what causes you to not get the achievement, I didn't do this and didn't get the achievement the first time I played)

The achievement didn't glitch on me in the first place, so my input probably doesn't hold as much weight as it would otherwise, but I didn't encounter Mr. Chau until my third playthrough (first Ramona, then Scott on Average, and Scott again on Supreme), using the Sword of Love cheat and having played multiplayer several times.

The achievement didn't glitch on me in the first place, so my input probably doesn't hold as much weight as it would otherwise, but I didn't encounter Mr. Chau until my third playthrough (first Ramona, then Scott on Average, and Scott again on Supreme), using the Sword of Love cheat and having played multiplayer several times.

No I don't mean your first playthrough ever I mean that you get Mr. and Mrs. Chau before you beat the game as a certain character. I beat the whole game with Stills then got Mr. and Mrs. Chau then went and beat it as everyone else. So I think if you still have a character to do it with then you may be fine. I can't be 100% certain though.

I think that when you beat Gideon then you may have trouble unlocking it if you never used the Chau strikers.

Alright, just finished it with Scott for my first time through using this. Got Mr. and Mrs. Chau before getting to NegaScott and made she they both appeared and hit something. Playing on Average Joe. No cheats. I'll let everyone else know how it turns out, but it might be a few days before I finish every else's.

Alright, just finished it with Scott for my first time through using this. Got Mr. and Mrs. Chau before getting to NegaScott and made she they both appeared and hit something. Playing on Average Joe. No cheats. I'll let everyone else know how it turns out, but it might be a few days before I finish every else's.

Was your Chaudown glitched out before?

I'm sure it was.

Personally, nothing makes me more annoyed than people who keep asking if I used Negascott to call Negaknives and if I called all the strikers, I tried every last resort and I'm sure he did too before I found out this one.

Yeah, I even went so far as to get Mr. Chau on all five characters, then call out Knives, Mr. Chau, and Mrs. Chau with all five characters during a single session...

I saw another post on GameFAQs that this method did NOT work for them, but hopefully Haruhiko will return positive results and, if it works for him too, then maybe I'll give it a go as well.

I'm also on a wait-and-see basis right now because we have three people in the house playing in the game and, so far, I'm the only that's glitched out, though the other two haven't tried for Chaudown yet and I don't want to reset their data too in case they're able to get theirs legit.

Edited by JQTNguyen

Yeah, I even went so far as to get Mr. Chau on all five characters, then call out Knives, Mr. Chau, and Mrs. Chau with all five characters during a single session...

I saw another post on GameFAQs that this method did NOT work for them, but hopefully Haruhiko will return positive results and, if it works for him too, then maybe I'll give it a go as well.

I'm also on a wait-and-see basis right now because we have three people in the house playing in the game and, so far, I'm the only that's glitched out, though the other two haven't tried for Chaudown yet and I don't want to reset their data too in case they're able to get theirs legit.

I saw that reply. The guy did not do the trial part correctly IIRC.

This method DID work for me though. I posted all over these forums about how I couldn't get Chaudown and now currently have it.

1. Use NO cheats and play on Easy difficulty

2. On your first playthrough get Mr. Chau before ever getting to Gideon or beating the game and use both Mr. and Mrs. Chau as strikers before beating the game (I'm 90% sure that this is what causes you to not get the achievement, I didn't do this and didn't get the achievement the first time I played)

3. Play no multiplayer at all (by this I also did not move my money to another character, I started all over from scratch with each)

4. Never fought Mr. Chau as any other character

5. Default colors only

6. Use strikers semi-regularly

I just wanted to add that the bug appears to be COMPLETELY RANDOM as i

1. Used the Sword of Love constantly, 1st playthrough on easy, Supreme Master for second.

2. Didn't fight Mr. Chau until my 3rd playthrough and didn't call Mr. or Mrs. Chau until i had called all other strikers

3. Played multiplayer several times (both times defeating Mr. Chau were in multi-player)

4. Fought Mr. Chau with 2 or 3 characters.

5. Used non-default colors regularly

6. Very rarely called strikers, maybe 5 times per character.

and i unlocked the achievement with absolutely no problems on my first attempt.

Basically i'm just saying i didn't follow any of your instructions and still got the achievement which leads me to believe that whatever causes this bug is still a mystery.

2. Didn't fight Mr. Chau until my 3rd playthrough and didn't call Mr. or Mrs. Chau until i had called all other strikers

Question about this bit. Did you unlock Mr. and Mrs. Chau before or after you fought Gideon in your third playthrough? I'm convinced that as long as you didn't fight Gideon in that playthrough then it'll be okay. The time it glitched for me I had been on my second playthrough and was going for supreme master when Chau appeared and I fought him. I had already fought and defeated Gideon so when I got them and used the strikers and later used NegaKnives it didn't unlock for me. I think that it has to do with when in a playthrough you unlocked them. I can't be sure though and the bug may be as random as the "Seriously" achievement glitch in GoW.

Question about this bit. Did you unlock Mr. and Mrs. Chau before or after you fought Gideon in your third playthrough? I'm convinced that as long as you didn't fight Gideon in that playthrough then it'll be okay. The time it glitched for me I had been on my second playthrough and was going for supreme master when Chau appeared and I fought him. I had already fought and defeated Gideon so when I got them and used the strikers and later used NegaKnives it didn't unlock for me. I think that it has to do with when in a playthrough you unlocked them. I can't be sure though and the bug may be as random as the "Seriously" achievement glitch in GoW.

I remember fighting Mr. Chau 2 times for sure. After completing my Supreme Master playtrough with Ramona (2nd playthrough total, 1st with Scott on Average Joe), i loaded up a co-op game with Ramona and Stills on Average Joe to transfer money over for my next playthrough. Mr. Chau was there waiting on the map as soon as the co-op game started. He was also there right at the beginning when i was transfering money from Stills to Kim. So both times i fought him was with a character that i had just completed the game with and in Co-op.

My Brother and I beat Mr Chau on our first Multiplayer playthrough and called out both Mr and Mrs Chau as Strikers before the first time we had beaten Gideon on any of our characters. We also used Power of Love, Non-Default Colors, and used Strikers very a handful of times, to work towards getting the Achievement to unlock.

I just unlocked this achievement a few mins ago. Me and my little sister have played this game through 5 times. We've maxed out every character, played multiplayer, beaten the game on the hardest difficulty, even used some of the unlock-able cheat codes. We never unlocked mr. chao untill we actually beat Giddeon. She was sitting here trying really hard to figure out this achievement, and I kept reading up on this achievement. It seems to me that this achievement appears at random. I believe you must unlock mr. chao with every character, and then mrs. chao will finally come out (at least she did for me). Before we figured it out, I signed in under my sisters account and she played on mine. We were running through the gardens to beat roxy (we thought it was how we got Mr. Chao to spawn, and it worked every time), before we got to her... she hit LB to call her striker as nega-scott and Mr. Chao. appeared, right after he went away, she hit LB again and Ms. Chao appeared and the achievement unlocked. I cant say why it did unlock, but it did. Hope someone else tries this and it works for them.

My Brother and I beat Mr Chau on our first Multiplayer playthrough and called out both Mr and Mrs Chau as Strikers before the first time we had beaten Gideon on any of our characters. We also used Power of Love, Non-Default Colors, and used Strikers very a handful of times, to work towards getting the Achievement to unlock.

The Achievement popped for My Brother, but not for me and, seriously, we didn't do anything different really, except I went back and unlocked Mr Chau on all five characters after mine didn't pop, though from what Jake who posted above is saying, that didn't seem to matter in his case, whether he unlocked Mr and Mrs Chau before or after beating the game...

--snip--

I believe you must unlock mr. chao with every character, and then mrs. chao will finally come out (at least she did for me).

--snip--

I don't know about that, Jake. Before I came to the forums looking for additional info, I'd already maxed all 5 of my characters, unlocked Mr. Chau on all of them, was in top 150 on leaderboards, etc. None of that helped me, and I spent 2-3 hours calling all of the strikers on all the characters - no achievement unlock. To look back at what MONOXBOOG1E said, and what RealistIdealist said up earlier, they don't exactly conflict. I still feel the most likely cause of the bug is unlocking Mr. Chau on a character, and then *not* using both Mr. Chau and Mrs. Chau before beating Gideon. If you didn't unlock Mr. Chau on your playthrough that's fine - you can get him later and then use him and Mrs. Chau without problems. At least that's what I've seen on most of the forum posts on this one way or the other.

In my original case I first played through the game with Ramona, lost to Mr. Chau, then went back to find him again later, and beat him before I beat Gideon. However I didn't call Mrs. Chau. Once I did that, if this theory holds true, then I effectively glitched the achievement. One other thing about Mrs. Chau - I think I recall reading estimated percentages of appearance on striker summon, and it's something like 55% knives/40% mr chau/5% mrs chau. So with a somewhere between 5-10% chance of getting her she takes a while to come out. Of course since its a dice roll you can still get her on first call in when entering a stage.

In any case, right now I'm on a full-reset playthrough as Kim to max level. I haven't run into Mr. Chau yet, and I haven't beaten stage 5 or 6 because I want to find him before I go to Gideon. I'll comment in a couple of days as to my final results. I'm not using any cheats, but I'm not sure that using cheats would cause a problem at all...I just want to avoid any potential problems.

Edited by shisio
typos

Perhaps this should just be changed to "how to reset your data and get another chance at chaudown". I'm convinced that in some playthroughs that unlocking Mr. Chau later is what causes the problems however there's exceptions against my case. We still don't know what exactly causes this glitch.

I agree. You seem to have found a way to give people a second chance at getting the achievement but it's still unknown what exactly is causing the bug and therefore may bug on people again.

I also wanted to reiterate that i absolutely did not unlock Mr. Chau with every character and still got the achievement just fine.

It's my belief that there aren't any hidden circumstances to unlocking it, it really is as stated to simply "call all strikers". Unfortunately somewhere along the line its getting bugged for many people and until the cause of the bug is found there is no tried and true fix.

Perhaps this should just be changed to "how to reset your data and get another chance at chaudown".

I third this motion. I got the Achievement to pop after doing a data reset and I didn't really play all that differently from my first playthrough.

Since the game was DLed on another GT in the first place, I couldn't avoid multiplayer and had to start the trial with the GT that had the license, with my GT as the second player. It reset data for both of us after beating Matthew Patel. Afterwards, here's what I did...

- Always played with Default Colors.

- All games were on Easy/Average Joe.

- "Power of Love" Cheat was used for all playthroughs.

- Used Strikers on a regular basis, at least once per Stage (by that I mean I would use it at least once within all of Stage 1, not once on Stage 1-1, once on Stage 1-2, once on Stage 1-3, etc.) or just about every time I dropped the "Power of Love" Sword.

1) Transferred/Duped Money between the two GTs so I could max out all characters on my GT.

2) Played with Scott first, beat Stage 6, kept fighting Todd Ingram until Mr. Chau showed up.

3) Beat Mr. Chau, went back to Stage 1 and kept calling Strikers until both Mr. and Mrs. Chau came out and performed a successful attack.

4) Beat the game with Kim, then Stills, then Ramona.

5) Played as Negascott, called Negaknives Striker and then... *pop*

But, yeah, the glitch seems to be totally random...

Edited by JQTNguyen

Just unlocked NegaScott finally. About to go use his striker after the credits are over. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Bam, got it. Unlocked right as I used the striker. Only thing I did different than OP was that I always watched credits. This method works. Use it.

Edited by Haruhiko
Updating.

Just unlocked NegaScott finally. About to go use his striker after the credits are over. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Bam, got it. Unlocked right as I used the striker. Only thing I did different than OP was that I always watched credits. This method works. Use it.

Ding..me too. I just unlocked NegaScott a little while ago, and when I started up the game again when my friend got here and called NegaKnives, I now *finally* have my achievement.

To echo Monoxboog1e

I also wanted to reiterate that i absolutely did not unlock Mr. Chau with every character and still got the achievement just fine.

I only unlocked Mr. Chau on my first character playthrough as Kim. I only ran into him again with Stills, and didn't even go through the effort of beating him to unlock him, so he was only unlocked for her.

I give serious credit again to RealistIdealist to taking the time to confirm that this method works, and help give a good sense of what you should do to try to avoid glitching the achievement again. Thanks guys, really!