Character Leveling Guide

Method

I have seen several threads asking the same question: Where and how do I level up? My hope is that this guide will prevent anyone else from posting another thread asking the same question. The following info is on places to “grind” levels and may contain *SPOILERS*.

Character UNDER LVL 50:

You can start leveling up very early into disc two. After getting control of the Slantnose, head toward the Numara Atoll (NW of Numara). We’re not fighting yet just unlocking the area. Next head to the Tosca Village. While there you can do a lot of things and collect a lot of treasure. We’re worried about getting the GAMBLE spell (LVL 2 Spirit Magic). To do this go inside Tolty’s Inn and head to the 2nd floor. Talk to Tenka (little girl near Kelolon statue) and agree to pay your respects. When you pay your respects to all 16 statues you will receive the GAMBLE spell as a reward. You can now either go to the Numara Atoll and follow the instructions below or get Sarah from the old sorceress' mansion then head there. I suggest you get Sarah as she has a high casting speed and is a very useful character to level up.

Once you get to the Numara Atoll, equip Kaim and Seth with Casting Support and Ming and Sarah with Spirit Magic (at least level 2) and go hunting. There are two types of enemies here that you encounter randomly. We’re looking for the Silver Kelolons. The Hell Shakers level you up too, but they’re much more annoying to kill at lower levels and only give 2 SP as opposed the the 8 SP from the Kelolons. Now all you need to do is run around and fight the Silver Kelolons and flee from Hell Shakers. When the battle starts, have Kaim and Sarah cast Casting Support on Ming and Sarah and have Ming and Sarah cast Gamble on the SAME Kelolon. Make sure you cast it on the same enemy as Gamble often does not kill the enemy with one (or sometimes even 2) tries. Doing this will allow you to gain one level per Kelolon until around Level 45. This high a level will make getting to Disc 4 very easy.

*NOTE: The Kelolons LOVE to flee so try not to get too frustrated.

*NOTE #2: Grinding here before going to get Sarah will make the Boss fight before her much easier.

Alternate Method (from Mrs. Cliffton):

First equip your party with anti petrification items or skills, then go to the secret cave in gongoras mansion (you must have tolten in your party so he can break the royal seal, I went at the beginning of disk four) The only enemies here are things called Experiment No. 42 A. killing them should take around 3 turns with a full party. its easy as long as you have anti petrification! In addition you will gain 5 sp (10 with sed in your party) and this helps with learning skills. fighting these experiments will allow you to gain one level per fight until about level 48, then it takes two fights to level to 49, but still a very easy way to lvl to about 50.

Character OVER LVL 50:

The next spot to level up is the Temple of Enlightenment on Disc 4. I’m not going to go into detail on how to get there, but you will need the White Boa to ram through the ice on the most southeastern island. Once you have unlocked the area save at the save point and begin fighting the enemies outside the Temple before going inside. The enemies out here should earn you one level every battle until around level 55. After this it’s time to go inside. Before doing this a quick skill/spell checklist. I would strongly recommend the following skill/spells before entering: Nullify All Elements, Auto HP Recovery, Auto MP Recovery, Ailment Resistance, Double Cast, Turn Tail, Guard Heal, Relax, Persistence, Absord Attack, Absorb Magic, Lucky 0 Magic Damage, Forceus, Groundus, Aquaus, Flarus, and Windus. These things will make your experience inside much more…..pleasant.

Once inside battle any enemies you want. If you are getting low on HP or MP simply wait for a fight and have everyone but one character defend (this is why I recommend Guard Heal and Relax) and have the other character use Turn-Tail. When you get to the point where you aren’t leveling up every battle it’s time to focus on the 2 Hellish Kelolon enemy battle. Just flee from everything else as this battle will grant you one level every time until level 97! These guys have two main attacks, Prismus (which Nullify All Elements takes care of) and Lightning Strike. Lighting strike can hurt bad, but sometimes Absorb Attack and Lucky 0 magic damage can nullify it. They also have two rare attacks called Payback and Kelolon Rush which both target a single player and do a few thousand damage at a time. Strategy to beat these guys, Option #1: focus on one at a time. Have your immortals attack and double cast Forceus on one while your mortal attacks the other one. The reason you mortal does this is that the other Kelolon may be trying to cast Prismus and this will delay it for a turn. Options#2: Have Kaim use Casting Support on Sarah and Seth use Casting Support on Ming. Have Sarah and Ming use Leveler(once). 5th Char can be used to do extra damage if you don't have a great deal of HP.

*NOTE: I did everything in the Temple of Enlightenment with the "double" skills. If Sed wasn't in the party, I gave each immortal a different "double" skill. This allowed me to get more skill, gold, loot and experience than I would have normally.

*NOTE 2: There is a Hellish Kelolon hotspot in the ToE. It is located at the platform with the elevator you take down to fight Fu. If you go down the elevator and back up the next encounter you have should be 2 x Hellish Kelolons.

DLC (from Dragon Viper):

For those who still need to level (after 40?) and plan on getting the DLC Seeker of the Deep you can level up faster and easier in the new dungeon. Of course the levels I give were tested with Double Experience skill on someone. I was already 99 with Immortals and in the mid sixties with Mortals when I started to go into the lower levels of the dungeon, so the first 10 floors I am only guessing on. I am only going to mention some enemies as all but 3 new ones (and 5 stronger versions of the new ones) are just stronger versions of enemies you have seen before. All floors ending in a 5 will have no enemies at all and some enemies in a floor group (1B-4B) only spawn on the last 2 of the group. Every battle will allow you to level once, up to the levels given.

Floors 1B-4B

Level 50? - Dark Mutation can only be hurt by magic, 2 new monsters, Prototype 1 and , they are nothing to worry about but wanted to mention them anyway.

Floors 6B-9B

Level 60? - Doctor Darkness counters magic, 2 new monsters that are stronger than ones on previous floors, Prototype 2 and , they are nothing to worry about but wanted to mention them anyway.

Floors 11B-14B

Level 70 - Prototype 3 has a new accessory but the drop rate is really bad

Floors 16B-19B

Level 80 - Steam K has a new accessory but the drop rate is really bad and Sky Reaper has a new Ring but the drop rate is bad just not as bad as the accessory drop rates on other monsters (I got 5 of the Ring before I got the Accessory from Steam K)

Floors 21B-24B

Level 95, 99 on certain battles

The Single Diamond Kelolon battles and the Supreme K (has new accessory but the drop rate is really bad) allow levels every battle up to 95. All other battles will take you to 99. Dark Kelolons (stronger version of Hellish Kelolons) can counter physical attacks and will deal between 5000 and 6000 damage, their attacks are Death Combo which is a physical attack that hits 3 times and deals between 5000 and 6000 damage each hit and takes them 3 turns to use, Dark Lightning which hits everyone dealing damage based on health of character, you usually end up with critical health afterwards, and Shadowus dealing a little over 1000 damage and takes them 2 turns to use. The Diamond Kelolons use Death to instantly kill 1 character. The other enemies are Platinum Kelolons and Faceless Defender but are nothing to worry about. I found that Leveler is the best thing for the Dark Kelolons because they counter so much. My Ming and Sarah are level 99 with 9720 HP and do over 20,000 damage to them each cast with full or nearly full HP, were the Kelolons only have a little over 44,000 HP.

Congratulations! You’re a now level 99. Enemies will pretty much just bounce off of you now. The main exemption is the Immortal One in the Backyard because he likes to cast Cube every other turn! But that’s an issue for another time. If you have any questions send me a message on XBL. Also, thanks to INVAL1D for helping me refine Numara Atoll leveling technique.

Edited by Method

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would be the best place to level on Disc 4? I am currently right at the beginning of the disc and my characters are only level 40ish. It seems I can't get to Numara Atoll or the Temple of Enlightenment yet. Any tips?

Where would be the best place to level on Disc 4? I am currently right at the beginning of the disc and my characters are only level 40ish. It seems I can't get to Numara Atoll or the Temple of Enlightenment yet. Any tips?

In order to be able to go across the hypercurrents you need to go to the Great Ancient Ruins and get the magic stone. The stone will give the nautilus more power and allow it to cross hypercurrents and reach the Numara Atoll.

Additionally you can also go to Gongora's Secret Cave in Uhra and level up to lvl 50 there. I updated the guide with Mrs. Cliffton's input on the cave, above.

for the up to level 50....the best way i have found to do it is to have Kaim, Seth, or Cooke with Casting Support...then Cast it on Both Sarah and Ming. Then use Sarah and Ming with Gamble. It does not work with Mack because his casting overall time is too slow even with the Casting Support not once did i kill one when i tried it with Mack. Both Sarah and Ming have a casting time of 1 which is the fastest that you can have. has soon as you cast the Support spell they immediately jump to the front of the line. Sometimes they even can kill the kelolon before the second Support spell gets cast. This even works on a a single Kelolon.

You might want to change your guide to have this in there too, because mack is too slow to cast. It doesnt change anything if you get Sarah then go back to Numara Atoll before you do the cave, because i already had Sarah when i found this guide. And my current set of 5 are all in there 40's through this method and I have not entered the Cave yet that Sarah unseals

In order to be able to go across the hypercurrents you need to go to the Great Ancient Ruins and get the magic stone. The stone will give the nautilus more power and allow it to cross hypercurrents and reach the Numara Atoll.

Additionally you can also go to Gongora's Secret Cave in Uhra and level up to lvl 50 there. I updated the guide with Mrs. Cliffton's input on the cave, above.

Thanks you are a legend!!

You might want to change your guide to have this in there too, because mack is too slow to cast. It doesnt change anything if you get Sarah then go back to Numara Atoll before you do the cave, because i already had Sarah when i found this guide. And my current set of 5 are all in there 40's through this method and I have not entered the Cave yet that Sarah unseals

Thanks for the help I updated the guide. I should note that I used Jansen with a spirit magic accessory and leveled up before I got Sarah. Jansen's casting time is high enough that he will act before the Kelolon if he has casting support. I then went and got Sarah and leveled up even more :p

Is it necessary to lvl up to 97, I mean do I have to go to temple of enlightenment or can I just go straight to grand staff? God I wanna finish this game already. 71 hours played and I can't see the end. :p

im 30+ hours into the game and i just started the 3rd disc with my main team at level 50.

reaching level 99 just makes the game alot easier. Like Gongora at the end of disc 2 was supposed to be challenging but he barely touched my HP. It just makes the game easier.

You dont have to go to the temple of enlightenment...but you will be missing an achievement i believe (i think treasure trove ach. deals with that place and then there is i think a boss at the end with an achieve.)

But thats the whole thing of RPG"sthey are supposed to take forever to play through and to get the max stats

Thanks for posting this, I think this deserves a sticky!

If not, a link to it on another sticky!!

It's too bad I missed the Gamble spell, and I went to the Atoll and got beaten down, so i left it thinking I'd come back later :p

Anyway I'm level 42 and on disc 4 now, guess I'll head straight for the Temple of Enlightenment!!

:D

Thanks for posting this, I think this deserves a sticky!

If not, a link to it on another sticky!!

It's too bad I missed the Gamble spell, and I went to the Atoll and got beaten down, so i left it thinking I'd come back later :p

Anyway I'm level 42 and on disc 4 now, guess I'll head straight for the Temple of Enlightenment!!

:D

If it did get stickied we'd have to change the name of the thread from "character leveling guide" to "leveling discussion thread" or something. That way it would be used for all posts dealing with leveling.

Anyway, have fun at the ToE, although I think level 42 may be a bit low to start out. Maybe you should try Gongora's secret cave for a little while?

Anyway, have fun at the ToE, although I think level 42 may be a bit low to start out. Maybe you should try Gongora's secret cave for a little while?

Level 42 is fine ONLY if you remain outside of the temple. If you venture inside, you'll become mincemeat in no time!

My Immortals are level 74 now and I am just fleeing from all the crap inside TOE and focusing on the Hellish Kelolons. This is going quite slowly, as I am only finding one maybe 15-20% of the time.

At the moment I am just inside the gate door running up and down - I don't wanna get lost in here again! If I go deeper will there be a higher rate of Kelolons, or better monsters?

___

As a side note I've found a great way of beating the Hellish Kelolons in one turn, even if you are mid-60s; Kaim>Casting Support>Sarah|Seth>Casting Support>Ming. Sarah/Ming>Leveler(once). 5th Char can be used to do extra damage if you don't have a great deal of HP. My leveller does around 14k each and im only level74 without all the HP gear on!

I then use the OPs advice of using Guard Heal/Relax on ALL of my characters and when I flee from all the low level crap that doesn't give much EXP, which means I can keep going without using any potions.

My Immortals are level 74 now and I am just fleeing from all the crap inside TOE and focusing on the Hellish Kelolons. This is going quite slowly, as I am only finding one maybe 15-20% of the time.

At the moment I am just inside the gate door running up and down - I don't wanna get lost in here again! If I go deeper will there be a higher rate of Kelolons, or better monsters?

First, unfortunately the Hellish Kelolons are the best you're going to find in the ToE for leveling up past your current level. As far as a higher rate of them, I don't think that there is an actual "hotspot" for these to spawn.

Personally I started at the save point at the The Corridor of Timelessness. From there I ran outside and waited for random battles with the Kelolons. This way I could save easily every 5-10 levels up. While outside I would sometimes get two Kelolon encounters in a row or a 15 minute drought. Just be patient, unfortunately I've heard of no easier way to get to level 99.

Also, I updated the guide with your method for killing the Hellish Kelolons.

• 3 weeks later...