The Helicopter Sequence (Major Spoilers)

Negative Creep

As per the title, don't read on if you haven't finished it.

Completed the game last night, and I was very impressed. The way I read the ending, Walker cracks after killing the civilians and starts hearing Konard, who had in fact been dead for several months. Whatever choices you make, you only end up getting more people killed, and the guilt of this either causes him to kill himself or "Konard", after which he is completely shellshocked.

The above being said, one thing I haven't figured it is why the helicopter sequence from the prologue repeats itself. When this happened I was starting to expect a twist where he died in an earlier fight, and was by that point in Hell/purgatory due to all the people he'd killed or failed to save. Although I still like the idea, the Epilogue does rather put paid to that theory.

So is it as simple as a dream he had before the mission, or something deeper?

• 3 months later...

And I'm sorry but I have to interject, it's Konrad, not Konard. ;)

It's a nod to Joseph Conrad who wrote "Heart of Darkness", which is the backbone of the ideas that make up the story in Spec Ops: The Line...

And TheInventinator is right about the author's contention that the game is Walker's Purgatory.

Honestly though, even the ending that has Walker not shooting the soldiers that show up at the end and allowing them to take him home has ambiguity as well.

"I can't believe you survived all of that," a soldier says to Walker.

"What makes you think I did?" Walker shoots back sardonically.

Now, did you complete the game on the rage-inducing FUBAR difficulty? ;)