Thoughts On New Forge-Test Playlist?

BiggD

I'll begin.

I played one match tonight (couldn't continue after almost two hours of SpOps and my TERRIBLE LAG!) and it was a rendition of Lockout on Ravine. It wasn't 100% accurate, but it was a lot of fun playing on it.

Why?

Because it was a small map. It was fast-paced and had good areas for DMR/Magnum battles. None of this medium-to-large-scaled map shizz that 343 gave us on disc.

When I heard Majestic will have 2 small-scaled maps, I couldn't contain my joy.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the new playlist this week?

EDIT: Here's a nice picture of Shutout.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4927/lockoutw.jpg

Edited by BiggD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love these new maps, especially the lockout remake. It felt so right...

I like the map called Scythe. I like how it has preplaced weapons that spawn on a timer.

Played SWAT on the Lockout remake. SWAT sucks so I didn't really get to try it out much.

Seems the Lockout remake is pretty popular. I'll have to continue going back to the playlist a bit this week to check out Scythe and others. Gheuh, SWAT sucks with Instant Respawn, so I feel you.

The lockout remake ( I think its called shutout?) is f'ing amazing! the two night/space maps ( scythe and relay ) are really fun, had some good/intense battles, but I feel like there should be lower gravity on those two maps b/c you really do get the feel that you are in space.

The one map that starts with a G ( think its called Garrotte ) is by far my favorite map in Halo 4. I honestly have not had as much fun, and such great/epic/long lasting battle's on any other map than this one. The jagged feel to the map allows for some very fun/complex battles ( got some good grenade wall bounce kills).

I love these maps cause I feel that there is always fighting going on around you. No looking for the enemy or running around the map trying to find a battle. Once you spawn you better be ready to start battling. Also I noticed an improvement on weapon re-spawns, and the duration that fallen spartan weapons stay on the ground before a reset. Also, the new tribal halogram thingy that is on the ground when your ordinance drops is pretty sweet!

The only gripe I have about the maps is that they are all essentially the same. They are all symmetrically alike, but yet they each have their unique characteristic. All in all I hope 343I integrates these maps into a permanent rotation and that they continue to expand and redeem themselves from the launch of halo 4.

-Relay is good for Swat and Slayer. It's about time we get to play it in Matchamaking considering how well-built it was for a matchmaking map. It pretty much plays exactly like Zealot did in Reach, which was one of the few default maps that I actually enjoyed from that game. My strategies carry over almost flawlessly.

-Shutout is a pretty good remake. Not as good as Lockout, but better than Blackout IMO.

-Scythe is a ruddy piece of crap. Too many paths and different approach points. It's like playing Call of Duty. Whoever see the other person first is almost guaranteed to win because it's impossible to effectively cover even half the points. There's no way to tell where the hell the enemy might come from. Too much of a clusterfuck to be enjoyable.

With that said, bring on the Grifball!

Haven't played any of the others yet. Don't know if Settler and Ascent are included, but I did see another one with a G in the title, so I know there's more to play. Hopefully they pop up in my vote options soon.

So far, though, I like it.

-Relay is good for Swat and Slayer...Shutout is a pretty good remake. Not as good as Lockout, but better than Blackout IMO...Scythe is a ruddy piece of crap.

With that said, bring on the Grifball!

So far, though, I like it.

You didn't like Blackout too much? I thought it was an awesome remake.

As much as I wanna play some Grifball, I'm excited for Team Doubles soon. It'll be a nice change of pace.

Seems like there's 4-5 maps total in this Playlist though, hopefully I get a chance to test the rest out this week.

I wasn't particularly fond of it because of the way Halo 3's multiplayer was built. Never been able to put my finger on it, but something about it just wasn't the same as Halo 2 and the remade map made that lacking apparent to me. (Of course, knowing me it's probably just the glitches and manipulations I used to use on Lockout. So many cheap tricks that are no longer available in Blackout or Shutout. lol)

I wasn't particularly fond of it because of the way Halo 3's multiplayer was built. Never been able to put my finger on it, but something about it just wasn't the same as Halo 2 and the remade map made that lacking apparent to me. (Of course, knowing me it's probably just the glitches and manipulations I used to use on Lockout. So many cheap tricks that are no longer available in Blackout or Shutout. lol)

Can't argue with that reasoning :p

I love the lockout remake, dont really like simplex

Really? I played a couple CTF matches on Simplex today and enjoyed it. Small maps FTW.

Scythe was so fucking bad.

Didn't play on the "G" map yet.

Relay is a great map.

And I think it was Despair - that one was kinda confusing, but not too bad.

I want to see a remake of Ghost Town & Gaurdian from Halo 3. They'd look really good in Halo 4.

This playlist would be awesome if there was no loadouts/AAs. It felt so nostalgic walking around Lockout again playing SWAT with my BR until I got killed across map by a DMR...

I want a classic slayer playlist with community/remade maps.

I'm sure 343 with make a community-map playlist once all the DLC is out. Let's hope, at least.

Better than the actual maps that came with the game and the DLC maps.

Anything beats the maps that are on disc. Out of the 10, the only good ones are Longbow (which they don't even have CTF for :() and Solace.

Played one game on one of the maps, it was appalling!

There were teleporters which, when used, would take you almost always into enemy spawns, meaning you were 4 on 1 with a split second to even attempt to try and kill them.

Joined in progress, so not sure the name of the map, was pretty crap though.

Edit: Why is there a remake of lockout, again? Sure it's not a bad map, but come on, that slot could've been better served for something new :/

343, desperately trying to win back fans

Edited by wo ai ni xx

I think if they were trying to win back fans, they would create a Team Slayer and BTB Forge Playlist with exclusively maps from H1, H2, and H3. I've seen the topics and I've seen the videos. Most of the maps from the previous games have already been recreated with painstakingly accurate attention to detail and it would be a simple matter of adding them to their own list.

And to be honest, I kind of wish they would do just that. 3 lists. Classic Team Slayer for smaller maps, classic BTB for larger maps, and Classic Objective types for all of the in-between. Coupled with the Objective playlist we need to see a return of Assault and One-Flag CTF (Am I the only one who misses one-flag?) I would also like to see the Default Invasion gametype added to BTB (No need for Invasion Slayer though.)

Than again, I might as well just ask for an official release of the Halo Chess Gametype that was teased with Halo: Reach. It did exist in Custom Games with an honor system, but I would like the option to be there for an actual gametype. Even if it didn't have a playlist, I would love to play this with actual rules in place.

I think if they were trying to win back fans, they would create a Team Slayer and BTB Forge Playlist with exclusively maps from H1, H2, and H3. I've seen the topics and I've seen the videos. Most of the maps from the previous games have already been recreated with painstakingly accurate attention to detail and it would be a simple matter of adding them to their own list.

And to be honest, I kind of wish they would do just that. 3 lists. Classic Team Slayer for smaller maps, classic BTB for larger maps, and Classic Objective types for all of the in-between. Coupled with the Objective playlist we need to see a return of Assault and One-Flag CTF (Am I the only one who misses one-flag?) I would also like to see the Default Invasion gametype added to BTB (No need for Invasion Slayer though.)

I'd love these as much as the next person, but for now, id rather see what amazing things can be made from the new forge maps

Garrotte - Favorite of the bunch. Reminds me of playing Midship or Warlock.

Shutout - One of my favorite Halo maps ever... excellent remake.

Despair - Great map. Great forger. All of his maps are top notch.

Scythe - Horrible. Didn't enjoy anything about it.

Simplex - Haven't played yet...

Relay - Not my favorite. Feels like forge blocks thrown together in 10 minutes.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this playlist and excited to test future iterations. And, I too miss One Flag...

I think if they were trying to win back fans, they would create a Team Slayer and BTB Forge Playlist with exclusively maps from H1, H2, and H3.

Classic Team Slayer for smaller maps, classic BTB for larger maps, and Classic Objective types for all of the in-between. Coupled with the Objective playlist we need to see a return of Assault and One-Flag CTF (Am I the only one who misses one-flag?)

Ditto. One-Flag must return. And they need to put CTF on the larger maps. Vortex and Longbow would support any variant of CTF very well.

Invasion was alright...only liked it on the DLC map, Breakpoint. On Spire and the other maps (Boneyard?), it wasn't that fun.

Despair - Great map. Great forger. All of his maps are top notch.

Scythe - Horrible. Didn't enjoy anything about it.

Scythe is so bad. Still need to play of Garrote though. I'm eager for them to create a solid Community Map playlist with good maps in the future.

Edited by BiggD