C...S...R... What's That Stand For?

LickableLemons7

Don't see why it wouldn't work. There's a line between defending the game you've created and wanting some sort of population. And since Halo is MS's baby, I don't think they'll just sit back and let Halo die.

Call of Duty makes them more money. MS has exclusive deals with Activision for CoD. That's their baby now.

Halo is becoming a niche product.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call of Duty makes them more money. MS has exclusive deals with Activision for CoD. That's their baby now.

Yeah, 360 players get DLC a month earlier than the rest, right? I remember hearing that about MW3. Is the contract still holding with BO2 and future CoD titles?

Halo is becoming a niche product.

Just like Fable. Ugh.

Yeah, 360 players get DLC a month earlier than the rest, right? Is the contract holding with BO2 and future CoD titles?

It's been like that since at least BO1. No sign of stopping although a new system could mean change. I doubt it though seeing how out of 11+ million units sold the first week for BO2, 6+ million were on Xbox alone.

DICE and Sony play the same game with BF3

It's been like that since at least BO1. No sign of stopping although a new system could mean change. I doubt it though seeing how out of 11+ million units sold the first week for BO2, 6+ million were on Xbox alone.

DICE and Sony play the same game with BF3

Dang really? I hadn't known that. Activision is fucking rich dude. They don't mess around.

Off-Topic: Anyone think Activision will smother Bungie on Destiny?

Off-Topic: Anyone think Activision will smother Bungie on Destiny?

I think they've already got 4 games planned, right? Bungie/Activision slated the first title for release later this year(subject to change) and then they stated "Destiny" would be an ambitious project, expanding its lore to the likes of Star Wars. They've planned future titles every other year following the initial release of Destiny in late 2013. So if they do follow through with their schedule, Destiny 2(or whatever it could be called) would be out late 2015, Destiny 3 in 2017, and Destiny 4 in 2019.

Edit: My memory is better than I thought. Here's more stuff to read up. There's these things called "Comets" too.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11759-Bungie-Confirms-Destiny--a-Sci-Fi-Action-Shooter-Out-in-2013-as-an-Xbox-Timed-Exclusive.html

Edited by LickableLemons7

I think they've already got 4 games planned, right? Bungie/Activision slated the first title for release later this year(subject to change) and then they stated "Destiny" would be an ambitious project, expanding its lore to the likes of Star Wars. They've planned future titles every other year following the initial release of Destiny in late 2013. So if they do follow through with their schedule, Destiny 2(or whatever it could be called) would be out late 2015, Destiny 3 in 2017, and Destiny 4 in 2019.

FOUR?! That sounds kinda epic. Unfortunately, I never played Bungie's older games but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the men so I'm sure there's no way they can disappoint.

Lore-heavy game? I can dig that. I feel like 2 years development is kinda rushed. Unless they're doing what Peter Jackson did for the Hobbit and making all the games at once, I don't know...

Anywho, I think I'll most likely get it. So long as it isn't MMO as it's been rumored to be.

So long as it focuses on Heavy Lore and Cinematography, I'm game. Hell, that's what they should've done with Halo. Oh well. They get to try again with this series. (Fun fact: Halo 1 almost didn't have multiplayer. Just imagine how amazing the series could've been if they'd gone that route from the very beginning ^_^ Maybe Destiny will push in that direction.)

So long as it focuses on Heavy Lore and Cinematography, I'm game. Hell, that's what they should've done with Halo. Oh well. They get to try again with this series. (Fun fact: Halo 1 almost didn't have multiplayer. Just imagine how amazing the series could've been if they'd gone that route from the very beginning ^_^ Maybe Destiny will push in that direction.)

If Destiny is going to be heavy on lore and have RPG elements or just be a full RPG (because do we have any confirmation on what genre it is?) then it shouldn't have MP. Like Fallout or Skyrim.

Oh man...Bungie making a full RPG like that...I'd be so happy.

I don't think anything is officially confirmed for this game, but reports have said that Destiny feel and plays very much like Halo does, so I would imagine it will return to First-Person.

I hope this is true. I remember reading it was a sci-fi shooter at least (hopefully FPS).

Edited by StarsRPD

I don't think anything is officially confirmed for this game, but reports have said that Destiny feel and plays very much like Halo does, so I would imagine it will return to First-Person.

Well, I highly anticipate the game and hope Bungie can "wow" me as they did with Halo Combat Evolved.

I kind of hope they ditch the 'S' in FPS and go for more of a First Person Adventure game. I'm tired of games that involve running through endless hordes of nameless bad guys and killing everything that moves. The industry needs to grow up already. Games like Deus Ex where you have the option to kill everybody, but doing so is but one option. More FPS games should aspire to be more like Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls, Thief, etc...

And I understand killing is necessary in a war like Halo, but that doesn't mean every single minute of the game needs to be killing and fighting. The beginning portion of Shutdown in Halo 4 is one of my favorite parts of the game. Just being free to roam around the hangar bay and checking out the neat stuff was intriguing. A big reason Halo 1 was so amazing compared to the rest of the series is because you had enormous maps and a lot of the time there weren't enemies to fight. You were just exploring the mysterious Alien world. Mass Effect, again, exploring Normandy and the Citadel were my favorite parts of the 3 games. Star Wars: KOTOR and the Ebon Hawk once again. Just because it's a videogame doesn't mean every minute of it needs to be chaos and death.

Edited by DarkReign2021

I kind of hope they ditch the 'S' in FPS and go for more of a First Person Adventure game. I'm tired of games that involve running through endless hordes of nameless bad guys and killing everything that moves. The industry needs to grow up already. Games like Deus Ex where you have the option to kill everybody, but doing so is but one option. More FPS games should aspire to be more like Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls, Thief, etc...

And I understand killing is necessary in a war like Halo, but that doesn't mean every single minute of the game needs to be killing and fighting. The beginning portion of Shutdown in Halo 4 is one of my favorite parts of the game. Just being free to roam around the hangar bay and checking out the neat stuff was intriguing. A big reason Halo 1 was so amazing compared to the rest of the series is because you had enormous maps and a lot of the time there weren't enemies to fight. You were just exploring the mysterious Alien world. Mass Effect, again, exploring Normandy and the Citadel were my favorite parts of the 3 games. Star Wars: KOTOR and the Ebon Hawk once again. Just because it's a videogame doesn't mean every minute of it needs to be chaos and death.

But then you'll have those who argue, "Why do FPS games have to adopt these gameplay elements if there are games already like that?"

I do agree partially that more games should be focused on strategy, stealth, and moral decision making. Running around killing things is too common nowadays.

So you're more for exploration of worlds, than fighting every minute of gameplay? I get that. Because I like that too, but as I said, you add more exploration to Halo and less combat, and many will complain that Halo's "core-gameplay" is gone.

Edited by BiggD

The irony is that Halo's "Core-Gameplay" was, as I pointed out, very much exploratory. I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately in contradiction to what I said last night about gamers owning the Industry, this is one of those times where the Industry has to take control and lead gamers down the path to the future. Most gamers can't sit down and innovate the games they play. They can tell you how they want a game based off of what another game does or what it did in a previous game in the series, but most gamers will never come up with an innovative or unique idea and they will never move forward if they don't let the industry evolve. Even if it's not necessarily unique, it's still less "I want Iron Sights" and more "Halo Should be like CoD and add Iron Sights."

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that gamers don't know what they want. They bitch when things don't innovate and change, but they bitch when things are changed and a series begins to innovate *Looks at the Halo Fanbase* So the best way for the industry to evolve is to neglect what people want and focus on doing things that push the scope of the imagination and advance the industry forward.

I won't pretend to know what's best for the industry. I have ideas that people love like introducing unarmed combat to Halo and ideas that people hate like splitting game campaigns into episodic content, but like it or hate it these ideas get people thinking about what games could be and it starts to push in the right direction.

If only more people were focused more on the quality of the games they play and less on the quantity of games they get and less focused on being able to "shoot their buddies" constantly, the industry would be overflowing with unique titles. Alas, the industry has been overtaken by Casual gamers that care about nothing but that mindless multiplayer fix. And don't kid yourself, if you're one of those people that is only interested in a game for it's online multiplayer, you're a casual gamer. I don't care how "good" you are at a particular game.

And don't kid yourself, if you're one of those people that is only interested in a game for it's online multiplayer, you're a casual gamer.

I would rather be called a 'casual gamer' than ever identify as a 'hardcore gamer' because people who identify as 'hardcore gamers' tend to be snobby elitists who have nothing better going on in their lives than video games.

The irony is that Halo's "Core-Gameplay" was, as I pointed out, very much exploratory...But most gamers will never come up with an innovative or unique idea and they will never move forward if they don't let the industry evolve.

But aren't Devs doing that too? Alotta games are basing there Multiplayer or certain Single Player elements off more successful titles (Like Call of Duty influencing many games' Multiplayer now).

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that gamers don't know what they want. They bitch when things don't innovate and change, but they bitch when things are changed and a series begins to innovate *Looks at the Halo Fanbase*

I might be going out on a limb here (I do agree that people will complain no matter what) but Devs should stop making sequels and start making new IP's. I don't like that there's a 4th Gears of War, talk about a 4th Mass Effect (never played), rumors of a 4th Assassin's Creed, etc.. I want NEW games. Not sequels.

If only more people were focused more on the quality of the games they play and less on the quantity of games they get...[the] industry has been overtaken by Casual gamers that care about nothing but that mindless multiplayer fix.

Well I'm sure this isn't directed exactly at me, but personally, I don't consider myself hardcore at all. I always say it on these Forums, I don't care about Multiplayer that much anymore since MP nowadays just down right sucks...

Quality of games? Hells yeah. One of my favorite games in the past 2 years is Max Payne 3. Partially because it's less of a run-and-gun shooter and more of a cinematic experience. The flow of cinematics and narrative made the game what is was.

I would rather be called a 'casual gamer' than ever identify as a 'hardcore gamer' because people who identify as 'hardcore gamers' tend to be snobby elitists who have nothing better going on in their lives than video games.

I will have to agree with Gheuh here.

#PCMasterRace

PC gamers are pricks. I have two co-workers who play nothing but World of Warcraft and League of Legends are they're complete fucking tools who think PC games and gamers rule all.

Edited by BiggD

Sadly the "hardcore" portion of the gaming community is pretty Elitist and snobbish you're right. They're not really all that different than the Casual community though. I prefer to lean more towards the "Veteran" community myself. Knowledge in experience and interested in contributing to the community at large. Unlike these hardcore gamers, my head's not shoved so far up my ass that I can acknowledge I'm an untalented gamer. Compared to those people that insist anybody below '50' in Halo 3 was bad, I was perfectly content with my 35-40 range.

I prefer to lean more towards the "Veteran" community myself. Knowledge in experience and interested in contributing to the community at large. Unlike these hardcore gamers, my head's not shoved so far up my ass that I can acknowledge I'm an untalented gamer.

But is it still shoved up there a bit for you Veterans? :p

Joking aside, I consider myself a 'Dedicated' gamer.

Add Mirrors Edge to the list! I also hope Bungie makes a unique game and they probably will. And it doesn't have to be FPS I agree.

But aren't Devs doing that too? Alotta games are basing there Multiplayer or certain Single Player elements off more successful titles (Like Call of Duty influencing many games' Multiplayer now).

I don't believe that developers consciously go out of their way to blatantly rip off games. I don't believe they sit there and say "Okay, how can we make Halo more like Call of Duty. They analyze different series in comparison to their own and identify key features that would benefit their own series, but at the same time they're thinking outside of the box and coming up with anything and everything they can think of. Loadouts aren't actually new to the series. It's a feature they tested for Halo 2 and Halo 3 and just ultimately decided not to include. Than you take other features like Vehicle Jacking, which has never been used in any other FPS to date, or Dual-Wielding, a classic feature in FPS that was enhanced by the ability to mix weapons for different effects. Some developers will definitely go out and blatantly copy games, but big name developers are less focused on being something their not and more on what they feel would give them the most of their own game.

I might be going out on a limb here (I do agree that people will complain no matter what) but Devs should stop making sequels and start making new IP's. I don't like that there's a 4th Gears of War, talk about a 4th Mass Effect (never played), rumors of a 4th Assassin's Creed, etc.. I want NEW games. Not sequels.

This is a large part of what I'm talking about. Devs are so afraid to take risks and do something new because new doesn't sell as well as familiar. Can't blame gamers since games are $60 a pop and not worth the risk. The developers need to be focusing on getting development costs down and reducing the cost of their games in favor of being able to create more unique IP's. Every now and then you get a lucky break like Dishonored that does well, but typically a game only ever sells on Franchise or Developer name alone, so you see wonderful games like Catherine, Brutal Legends, and Enslaved ignored in favor of [FPS #72]

Well I'm sure this isn't directed exactly at me, but personally, I don't consider myself hardcore at all. I always say it on these Forums, I don't care about Multiplayer that much anymore since MP nowadays just down right sucks...

This wasn't quoted at anybody in specific as I don't hold a grudge against anybody in this site. It's not even meant as an insult. I just stated it a sort of observation that "Hey, this is what you do for the Industry" kind of way. And personally, from the way you talk about gaming, I can see you as much a veteran gamer as anything. You have diversity in your games. I've seen you on boards from Halo to Splinter Cell to Elder Scrolls and everything in between. Plus with topics like your Halo 4 Legendary guide, it's obvious you're willing to put a little time into helping or improving the community.

Quality of games? Hells yeah. One of my favorite games in the past 2 years is Max Payne 3. Partially because it's less of a run-and-gun shooter and more of a cinematic experience. The flow of cinematics and narrative made the game what is was.

This is one title I have yet to try, though I'm definitely looking forward to getting it now that I have my Gamefly account up and running again. It's been a couple years since I shut it down, so now I have a nice list of games to try out.

PC gamers are pricks. I have two co-workers who play nothing but World of Warcraft and League of Legends are they're complete fucking tools who think PC games and gamers rule all.

Amen to that. I HATE PC gamers. lol. So full of themselves.

Add Mirrors Edge to the list! I also hope Bungie makes a unique game and they probably will. And it doesn't have to be FPS I agree.

Mirror's Edge! Love it. Loved it enough that it actually made the final cut for my signature. God I hope they finish the trilogy for this. Keep saying they need to make the city available in Sandbox form so players can freerun anywhere their imaginations can take them :D It would be a neat mechanic if they could have randomized points in the city where players could compete with their friends by taking whatever route they think would be the fastest. Just imagine crossing from one side of the city to the other!

(See what I'm doing here? I'm attempt to innovate Mirror's Edge without actually talking about making it more like another game. Sadly, EA is talking about making the second game more focused on Combat and weapons, which is exactly what Mirror's Edge strove NOT to be.)

And yes, us Veterans have our heads shoved a little ways up there :p I still personally think 343 and a lot of other developers would benefit from having my guidance and and thought process approaching their franchises, but that's just my opinion. lol.

Devs are so afraid to take risks and do something new because new doesn't sell as well as familiar. Can't blame gamers since games are $60 a pop and not worth the risk. The developers need to be focusing on getting development costs down and reducing the cost of their games in favor of being able to create more unique IP's. Every now and then you get a lucky break like Dishonored that does well, but typically a game only ever sells on Franchise or Developer name alone, so you see wonderful games like Catherine, Brutal Legends, and Enslaved ignored in favor of [FPS #72]

Yeah, they rather tack on a number to their next release than make a new IP. It's sad, but they'd rather play it safe...which sometimes work but still, I would rather see new ideas within new games.

I still wanna pick up Dishonored at some point.

I just stated it a sort of observation that "Hey, this is what you do for the Industry" kind of way. And personally, from the way you talk about gaming, I can see you as much a veteran gamer as anything. You have diversity in your games. I've seen you on boards from Halo to Splinter Cell to Elder Scrolls and everything in between. Plus with topics like your Halo 4 Legendary guide, it's obvious you're willing to put a little time into helping or improving the community.

Oh for sure dude. I like to explore different genres of games. I would be bored to death if every game I picked up was an FPS, lol. I don't have a favorite genre or preferred genre, I just play what looks good and rarely am I disappointed with my purchases. And the community better appreciate that Guide...it took me 3 damn weeks! But seriously, I enjoyed making it. It seems to have helped a good amount of people which is awesome.

This is one title I have yet to try, though I'm definitely looking forward to getting it now that I have my Gamefly account up and running again. It's been a couple years since I shut it down, so now I have a nice list of games to try out.

You'll love it. I guarantee it!

I meant to post these earlier, but completely forgot. These are a couple articles about David Cage, the head developer of Quantic Dream, the developers of Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, and the upcoming Beyond. He makes some really good points on how the industry should be and how publisher should be toward their development teams.

David Cage tells the Industry to "Grow up"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/david-cage-calls-on-industry-to-grow-up-6392198

David Cage says "Sequels kill creativity"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sequels-kill-creativity-says-david-cage-6402218

Sony never asked for Heavy Rain 2

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-never-asked-for-heavy-rain-2-says-david-cage-6393277