343: Next Halo will be 'much better'

Hishoa

Here you is, DarkReign. =-D

Halo 4, the first numbered entry in the series developed outside of Bungie Studios, won praise across the board and generated $220 million in day-one revenue. Despite this success, developer 343 Industries said that it suffered a handful of setbacks with the game, promising future entries will be better.

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/317/Halo4MC_84398_embed.jpg

"We have a lot to learn. We made a lot of mistakes. We can do better," Halo franchise director Frank O'Connor said in a retrospective blog post. "And we know this, and we will."

O'Connor said there were a "ton" of things 343 wished it had done better with Halo 4, including the implementation of features that didn't make it into the final game, various glitches that surfaced, "DLC fiascos," and communication breakdowns.

The developer didn't only focus on the negatives in the blog post, admitting that "for a first effort, [Halo 4] wasn't half bad." Bright spots during the development of Halo 4 included the formation of a tight-knit development team and the overhaul of the game engine, he said.

O'Connor further explained that stepping into Bungie's "oversized" shoes would have been a challenge for any developer, noting the venture "terrified" the team at the onset. However, as the studio grew and 343 Industries began to feel comfortable, those fears were quelled, especially once Halo 4 finally hit shelves in November.

"We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing. It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success," O'Connor said. "So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time."

O'Connor didn't lay out any specific plans for the future of the Halo brand, though he specifically stated that 343 Industries is capable of doing something "genuinely amazing" on next-generation hardware. Microsoft has previously confirmed Halo 5 and Halo 6 by way of announcing the Reclaimer Trilogy.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/343-next-halo-will-be-much-better-6402200

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally had no problems with Halo 4 and I thought it was fun and I feel 343 did a pretty damn good job taking over for Bungie. I do like how they have admitted mistakes and are saying they will be better with the next one.

I dont doubt that the next Halo title from them (Not Halo 2 remastered) will be even better than Halo 4.

Tell us more about how much better the next game will be while the one we are currently playing is still full of problems, 343.

Excellent point. If 343i doesn't show the effort of fixing concerns/bugs from previous games, what makes anybody think that the next game will be little to no bugs in it?

Saying something is different than doing something. And they know they shouldn't be making promises if they know they can't keep them.

It's nice that 343i is looking forward to the future, but the way some things are worded in this interview make me think they don't want to support Halo 4, aside from the upcoming DLCs.

Saw this article the other day, but too lazy to post it. lol. Good to see they're not too pigheaded to own up to their mistakes, not that they really made a whole lot in my personal opinion. Sure the MP could use some improvements and certain playlists need to be added already, but as far as Spartan Ops and Campaign goes, I have no complaints and the only thing I could ask for is more. I'm excited for the new S-Ops episodes to see how everything wraps up and can't wait to see what the next season has in store for us.

As for Campaign, I admit to getting a little hyped in hoping for a long and extensive campaign with heavy narrative and cinematics. It seemed like that was the direction 343 wanted to take Halo in when they promised to tie all of the different pieces of canon together, but in the long run there was very little storyline beyond the surface-dwelling plot, but it did give off the distinct vibe of being a prelude toward the real treat that's in store for us with Halo 5's campaign.

As for Campaign, I admit to getting a little hyped in hoping for a long and extensive campaign with heavy narrative and cinematics. It seemed like that was the direction 343 wanted to take Halo in when they promised to tie all of the different pieces of canon together, but in the long run there was very little storyline beyond the surface-dwelling plot, but it did give off the distinct vibe of being a prelude toward the real treat that's in store for us with Halo 5's campaign.

Its like gears of war in a way. The first game didnt explain anything but then gears 2 came out and started to build an exciting plot. But gears 3 was retarded and made no sence! So hopefully they dont do that with this trilogy lol

Sense.

Defense.

Offense.

Then again, if you're British I can understand why you used the "-ce", as that's how Brits spell those words. If you're American though, my advise stands.

I know you didn't use those last two... I was just throwing them out there as extra examples because some Yahoo sports writer didn't know them and misspelled them with a "c" like you did like 10 times in one article.

I'm not flaming you or anything, honestly. I'm just passing out today's English lesson in case you really didn't know how to spell it and are American.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

Honestly, I think Halo 4 is as close to perfect as it is possible to be with a game that has such a huge multiplayer component. ALL games have bugs and glitches, but I've experienced very few personally.

And the campaign and Spartan ops are just awesome. The story is easily the best in the Halo series IMO, and I love Spartan Ops and cant get enough. Really hope they do atleast one more season.

Cant wait to see what 343i does with Halo going forward. After how great Halo 4 turned out, im sure 5 and 6 will be amazing. And hopefully they do release Halo 2 anniversary, even though Im not a big fan of Halo 2 overall, it'd still be nice to have it on 360 or the next Xbox.

Its like gears of war in a way. The first game didnt explain anything but then gears 2 came out and started to build an exciting plot. But gears 3 was retarded and made no sence! So hopefully they dont do that with this trilogy lol

Really? I stopped after the first Gears of War. Terrible plot, and no character depth. Never cared for the game.

Cant wait to see what 343i does with Halo going forward. After how great Halo 4 turned out, im sure 5 and 6 will be amazing. And hopefully they do release Halo 2 anniversary, even though Im not a big fan of Halo 2 overall, it'd still be nice to have it on 360 or the next Xbox.

Halo 2 Anniversary wouldn't be released until 2014 (10 year anniversary, remember) so it will certainly be for the new Xbox, not the 360.

Hali's 5 & 6 should be good. By the time they come out, I highly doubt I'll even care about Multiplayer at that point (or MP for any game really). So long as the Story is good and rich, I'll be extremely happy with my purchase.

In defense of Gears 3, Gears 2 was incredibly stupid also.

"DOM WE HAVE TO SAVE JACINTO!!!"

"YOU MEAN JACINTO THE LAST HUMAN STRONGHOLD THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A THING, MARCUS?

"YEAH!"

"BUT MARCUS I NEED TO SAVE MARIA WHO IS MY WIFE I NEVER MENTIONED!!"

"THERE'S NO TIME TO SAVE MARIA DOM WE'RE IN A GIANT WORM LET'S CHAINSAW IT!!!!"

"WHO'S MARIA?"

"OH NO MARCUS, TAI KILLED HIMSELF! THE HORRORS OF WAR! WE ARE TRYING TO SEEM REALLY DEEP HERE!"

"MARIA IS DEEEEAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!"

"DOM FORGET ABOUT MARIA, WE HAVE TO DESTROY JACINTO!!"

"WHO'S MARIA?"

In defense of Gears 3, Gears 2 was incredibly stupid also.

"DOM WE HAVE TO SAVE JACINTO!!!"

"YOU MEAN JACINTO THE LAST HUMAN STRONGHOLD THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A THING, MARCUS?

"YEAH!"

"BUT MARCUS I NEED TO SAVE MARIA WHO IS MY WIFE I NEVER MENTIONED!!"

"THERE'S NO TIME TO SAVE MARIA DOM WE'RE IN A GIANT WORM LET'S CHAINSAW IT!!!!"

"WHO'S MARIA?"

"OH NO MARCUS, TAI KILLED HIMSELF! THE HORRORS OF WAR! WE ARE TRYING TO SEEM REALLY DEEP HERE!"

"MARIA IS DEEEEAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!"

"DOM FORGET ABOUT MARIA, WE HAVE TO DESTROY JACINTO!!"

"WHO'S MARIA?"

Ok maybe you have a point but marcus is seriously the funniest character ever. ITS A GIANT WORM! I laughed for an hour straight at that part.

Woah guys, watch out. If you don't show your love for all M$ exclusives, M$ customer service/human resources could take your Xbox away(including other products with the M$ label).

I actually enjoyed the original Gears, it felt like a solid shove in the right direction for the third person shooter genre. It had a great competitive multiplayer, and the campaign was a worthy challenge solo insane (when I beat the campaign SI I destroyed my controller out of pure joy(Fun Fact: that was the first and only time I broke a 360 controller(and I wrecked my keyboard when I beat Halo 2 PC legendary a few weeks back))).

Gears 2 was a mess, disappointing campaign with a shitty final battle that paled in comparison to RAAM, and I don't want to even talk about the multiplayer.

Gears 3 had an epic campaign until near the end, that's when I realized how much I hate Karen Traviss as an author/scriptwriter. Epic fucked everyone over with the first DLC as it was locked on disc, no dedicated servers like they promised, and everyone's running around with fucking sawed-off shotguns and retro lancers scoring cheap kills. Really unbalanced multiplayer experience. I'd say the online in Gears 3 lasted a solid 5 months before people fully abandoned it.

Judgment is already turning into a clusterfuck of confusion, everyone on the Judgment forums here are crying about Overrun, and there's no more "down but not out" in some gametypes. The removal of the locust skins in multiplayer is causing an even greater scandal than 343i's announcement stating they were removing elite skins in Halo 4.

The only M$ exclusive franchises that haven't been thrown at a fan and regurgitated into a steaming pile of donkey turd are arguably Halo and Forza. But it seems like both Halo and Forza are teetering on the brink of self destruction given Forza Horizon and 4's shift to Kinect and the Kinect apparantly gives hardcore gamers like us limp dicks. 343i abandoned the Kinect in Halo 4, which was sort of smart (did anyone like the interactive library in Anniversary?), but 343i needs to communicate better with their fans or Halo 5 and 6 will fall short of expectations.

Don't worry. I'm working as hard as I can to get a job with 343. I'll set that game on the right track. Revamp the multiplayer with consistent playlistings, patch the glitches and bugs, and release 2 new maps every 3 months (1 original and 1 classic remake.) A standalone version will be released with updated graphics and new weapons and loadout options as a launch title for the new Xbox. It will be supported throughout the entirety of the console's lifespan.

Than Halo 5 and 6 will completely cut out Multiplayer and focus solely on a more Cinematic Campaign experience and a heavier Spartan Ops experience. Focus would be on:

-More Interactive Cutscenes with importance to the storytelling (think RE4 Knife fight, but not as outdated in design)

-More weapon variety and less weapon clones. Forerunner weapons will have secondary fire mode with support abilities (distortion bubbles, EMP tethers, etc...) and you wouldn't be able to use grenades when carrying them.

-Bring back Brutes, Drones, and Engineers as well cut Covenant concepts like perhaps the Drinol and Sharquoi. Also include more types of Promethean units, perhaps the result of the Composer being tested on Covenant troops.

-The return of the Flood. Smarter AI, new units, the return of driving vehicles. (Spartan-IV's in a Flood Form like they are in Flood Mode. Just think about that...)

-The return of vehicles that were in past Halo titles. Seraph, Chopper, Shadow, Hornet, Falcon, etc... Also introduce the vehicles from Halo Wars and vehicles of Forerunner design as well.

- The story would be on a more galactic scale. Primary focus would be on the resurgence of the Precursors and the wide-scale invasion of the Flood.

- Spartan Ops storyline would take place before, during, and after the Campaign. It would focus on the still-hostile Prometheans, the hostile Covenant, and now also the Independent Jiralhanae and the Human rebel forces.

Since the Covenant is officially disbanded, all of the races have differing alliances. The Sangheili are warring with each other, so you would have the Vadam supporters siding with humanity while 'Mdama's followers are sided with the Promethean. Jiralhanae are at odds with the Sangheili and have always respected the Human race, so I could see them hesitantly allying with Humanity as well, which would put the Vadam Truce at unease. Kig-Yar not sided with 'Mdama seem to be in bed with the Human Rebels, so that makes them open to all other factions. Than the Forerunner Prometheans are obviously hostile, but other Forerunner Intelligence (such as the Monitors and Sentinels of the Halo Arrays) seem to side with Humanity so long as their Halo isn't endangered since the Librarian deemed Humanity as the true Reclaimers of the Mantle. I would also imagine there are Forerunner forces elsewhere left behind by the Librarian for Humanity's benefit.

Anyway, some thoughts and ideas if I were put in charge of Halo 5 and 6 development. Thoughts, ideas, phone number, applications, and references for 343 employment? :D