Truly awful game.

I played the original Most Wanted, and when my brother purchase the new version I thought I'd try it out to see if it's any good as I was interested in getting it myself.

I was on it for an hour earlier today and I must say it is horrible, I expected so much more from it. I didn't expect it to be similar to Forza, but I still expected it to be a good game, I can't even say the racing is good because it's always a rolling start and the last race I did I started last and accidentally crashed on a hard race, yet I was still able to easy get into first even though I didn't take one corner well.

Another thing I don't like, the way the game starts. When you're given the Austin I expected to be told to go to a garage, be given 30,000 or so and be allowed to purchase your own car and upgrade it yourself, in the garage. But no, you drive towards a Porsche. You should not start a game with a Porsche, yes they're good cars but it takes the fun out of working yourself up from a run of the mill car to a few good car which you work for. Instead of driving around, finding 41 cars. You don't even get to change the paint yourself, you go through a petrol station and your car is fixed and a new paint job. When you get upgrades you don't go to a garage, you press a few buttons in the middle of the road and your car has been upgraded. I'd like to see that happen in real life.

Thirdly, the pursuits. I wasn't good at them on the previous game but I liked them, on this game they're really boring. You've got an over-powered car and it's easy to evade the pursuits. In the first most wanted race, at the first spike strips I push the other vehicle into the strips and I followed as I could get away, three of my tires were puncture yet he drives away like nothing has happened.

I must say, and I am a Forza fan. I would get Horizon over Most Wanted, sure the driving styles are different. But with Forza you get better graphics, you can upgrade your car however you want, you can put your own paint job on the car, you get a large variety of cars varying from VW's to Bugatti's and I haven't seen the full Most Wanted map but I'm going to take a guess from the rest of the game that Forza will have a better map as well.

I wish the game was better, I generally like NFS games but this has been a real let down. But the game is awful, you may thing differently but that is your opinion.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally do reviews on games, this is the first time. I only wrote it because I've been looking forward to playing it and once I played it I was extremely disappointed with it, I see very little of what was good in the original Most Wanted game. I'm going to be trying the game again later today or tomorrow, but until then I'm going to stick by what I've said about it.

'I think you need to take the time to learn how to play the game before you trash it!'

Really? How long do you really need to learn how to play the game? It's a racing game, once you figure out how to drive properly on the game you've learnt how to play it. I'm not the greatest driver on that game, but if I'm crashing a lot and STILL winning when it's a hard race then were is the challenge in that? You may as well attempt to play it blindfolded, that would be more challenging. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to love the game I really did. I just don't think it'll happen.

I do however have one good thing to say about the game, it has an alright soundtrack.

I am also really disappointed with the approach they took on this game...what the hell were they thinking?!?!?

They had the formula spot on with Most Wanted e.g. start at the very bottom with a entry level car and work your way to the top slowly unlocking better cars and upgrades. You could also choose what colour of car you'd want, any decals, body kits, spoilers, hoods etc. You also have a set number of races to unlock the next wanted member.

The other thing that annoys me is that the black list members are just car names so the drivers have no personality.

You did have a set number of races to complete, and other stuff like reach a certain speed through a speed camera or last in a pursuit for a certain period of time to be able to even race the most wanted person and if you beat him, you were given the chance to win his car, get money or upgrades for your car.

You don't even need to race in the new game, you can get to the first most wanted person by just doing pursuits which is stupid.

That is true, I didn't notice that the first time I looked at it. That was the fun with it as well, you got knowledge on the people you were beating and they often came to the race with other members of their group.

First off THIS IS NOT FORZA, if you want it to be like Forza go play Forza, its like COD fanboys comparing COD against Halo, just because you have guns/cars in both games does not make them the same.

you complain that you can upgrade your car on the fly and that's not real life, ya like you have a garage outside your house filled with all the cars from Forza IN REAL LIFE.........ya didn't think so.

This game only has the need for speed name, if you did a bit of research you would see that it's burnout paradise 2.0 or 1.5 what ever way look at it. don't come into this game expecting Forza or Most Wanted, go play Burnout Paradise and you will see what this game is all about(a fcuk load of fun) oh and get online with this game, that's the best part of the game.

I know I mentioned Forza, but I never said it was Forza. I've played Forza and enjoyed it. I know they're both racing games and I know they're not similar. I'm aware I compared them, but I didn't compared the racing in the game (considering it's a racing game) I compared the cars, I compared the upgrades, I compared the paint jobs and the map. So before you have a go, I suggest you fully read what I wrote. Because I did not compare the racing with these two games, if I had then I would accept what you said.

You're reading into what I have written far too much, I never said that I have a garage outside my house is real life. I don't have that, I doubt anyone does. You also don't have that in NFS:MW, you have to drive towards the garage, pretty much what you have to do in real life. Secondly, no I don't expect all the cars to be outside my house. That ISN'T what I was saying, I was saying the fact you can pull up in the middle of no where and upgrade your car by pressing a few different buttons. That is stupid, I may be wrong but you can't do that on any other racing game nor in real life. I'm aware it isn't a simulator and doesn't claim to be, but a little realism is always nice. Like you had on the original Most Wanted.

Why should I have to research a game that I want to play? I've never gone into a shop, picked up a game and thought "Oh, I don't know. I think I'm going to have to go home and research this game first, to make sure it is what is says it is" No, you expect it to be what it says it is, Most Wanted, Need for Speed not Burnout. I wasn't expecting to come onto the game expecting Forza, if I did that I would be an idiot. But I was expecting it to be like Most Wanted, strangely enough because it's called Most Wanted.

Why should I have to research a game that I want to play? I've never gone into a shop, picked up a game and thought "Oh, I don't know. I think I'm going to have to go home and research this game first, to make sure it is what is says it is"

Why? To not be disappointed like you are now? I always research my game purchases before I buy them. I do that with cars, TVs, phones, as well.

I also find this statement odd since you did research the game before you bought it as you tried your brother's game first.

But I was expecting it to be like Most Wanted, strangely enough because it's called Most Wanted.

And The Phantom Menace was called Star Wars. Just because it shares a title name doesn't mean it's going to be anything like the previous ones.

As you said before, this is not a simulator. I don't want it to be realistic. I want it to be fun.

Taking the mod you car example. You want it to be more realistic by going to a garage? Sure, why not. Oh, BTW, your car will be ready in two days while we replace the transmission. Go play another game until it's done.

Another example is the more realistic way of restarting a race in Burnout Paradise. You had to drive all the way back to the start to try the race again. That was realistic. Too bad it was only fun the first time. After that it was extremely frustrating. I'm glad they gave a restart option in this game.

I'm aware that is research, yes. But I was referring to the research that Brian Kay mentioned, by finding out that it was pretty much Burnout Paradise. Of course if I have the opportunity to try the game out before I buy it, I'm going to take that up because it saves me time if I don't like the game. I do research other things, like you mentioned TV's and phones because you want the best for your money. But with a game that has had a previous, identical title I'd expect it to be nearly the same just upgraded. I'm going to use Call of Duty, I'm not a huge fan but from MW2 to MW3 they kept the game the same, they didn't change it too much because they know what fans like. Fans loved the original Most Wanted and I'm not saying this one isn't going to be loved, it's just been changed too much for my liking.

"And The Phantom Menace was called Star Wars. Just because it shares a title name doesn't mean it's going to be anything like the previous ones."

I understand that, but in the Star Wars films did they ever make two The Phantom Menace's? I'm sure they made just the one, so no I wouldn't expected them to be like the previous ones. However when you name your new game after a previous game, it's going to be compared to that.

Yes I said I wanted it to be more realistic by being given the option to drive to the garage, or you could fast travel there if my memory serves me correctly. It gave people the option, this doesn't. I want it to have some realism, but not to the standards of Forza, I like you want it to be a fun game to play.

"Taking the mod you car example. You want it to be more realistic by going to a garage? Sure, why not. Oh, BTW, your car will be ready in two days while we replace the transmission. Go play another game until it's done."

I get what you mean, I want a bit more realism but that's a little extreme. The garage example that I gave was from the first Most Wanted, not just some random idea. It's been used, still is being used and it works.

I personally didn't play Burnout Paradise that much so I could have a say on that, but from playing Revenge the takedowns are similar. I guess the novelty of having to drive back to the start of the race was a good thought, just not thought out well enough that it could become frustrating.

What I don't understand about the complaints:

- Criterion revealed a lot about the game in advance, like all the cars apart from the most wanted ones are available if you find them

- Easy Drive was shown before

- (it must be at least 10 times I write this down in different places) Criterion also said that they like the premise of Most Wanted BUT this is their take on the name AND they don't make sequels to other people's games

- they also said there wouldn't be any story

- just like no tuning a la UG or first MW

These were all known facts well before the game was released, how come it's a surprise to anyone that you don't start with a piece of crap car, you don't have a garage etc?? If you know these forums, you gotta be smart enough to have read these in advance.

The only prior knowledge of the game I've had, apart from the previous game is that the name was similar. On that basis, potentially not the best, I thought it would be good. I wasn't aware of that a different company were producing the game. But if they don't do sequels, then why bother bringing out a NFS game with the same title to a prior game?

Sure if I'd looked around, instead of just being happy about a new NFS game I wouldn't have bothered trying the game. This being my first day on the forums, I think I'm going to look around a little before having my say.

The only prior knowledge of the game I've had, apart from the previous game is that the name was similar. On that basis, potentially not the best, I thought it would be good. I wasn't aware of that a different company were producing the game. But if they don't do sequels, then why bother bringing out a NFS game with the same title to a prior game?

Sure if I'd looked around, instead of just being happy about a new NFS game I wouldn't have bothered trying the game. This being my first day on the forums, I think I'm going to look around a little before having my say.

At this point Black Box is pretty much out of NFS and Criterion is said to be a main NFS guys from now on.

The reason for the same name as they said is that they like the premise of being most wanted - but for them it's being most wanted amongst your friends, this is why Autolog exists, this is why no story etc. Sure, without knowing these the game must have been a surprise from many aspects. (They were also emphasizing the availability of all cars with the statement that starting with crappy cars is nothing else than 20 years of tradition, no real reason behind that.)

Glad to see there are people who think like me… Forza didnt exist in my time growing up. It was GT and NFS. Underground this and that, love it, played the hell out of it. I actually LOVED NFS: Hot Pursuit (the newest one). I was hoping a hot pursuit + underground mix in this game but of course all the hopes I got up were for nothing.

Ive been playing forza horizon, I love being a track junkie but not as much as I love open world. Most wanted looks TERRIBLE. Gameplay is crap, there is no progression in the game (well, you get upgrades for doing races and what not) but oh lemme upgrade your car on the fly without even going to a garage. There is nothing called "customization". Do these guys not know how the gear head mentality works? I like customizing… Not RICING, customizing.

NFS needs to PRAY to every single god that forza doesnt come out with a cop game because they will RAPE NFS and burry it into history. Forza horizon in my opinion already has buried this game.

Most wanted looks TERRIBLE.
Wut. You're kidding, right?

Gameplay is crap

I disagree, but to each their own.

there is no progression in the game (well, you get upgrades for doing races and what not)

"There is no progression, except for the progression."

I like customizing… Not RICING, customizing.

How dare these guys focus on racing in a racing game.

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING

There was soooooooooo much material released before release, nobody has much of an excuse to say its not what they expected, hours on hours of trailers, gameplay, reviews...games amazing.

Exactly, don't be blaming someone else for your lack of research

1)Another thing I don't like, the way the game starts. When you're given the Austin I expected to be told to go to a garage, be given 30,000 or so and be allowed to purchase your own car and upgrade it yourself, in the garage. But no, you drive towards a Porsche. You should not start a game with a Porsche, yes they're good cars but it takes the fun out of working yourself up from a run of the mill car to a few good car which you work for. Instead of driving around, finding 41 cars. 2)You don't even get to change the paint yourself, you go through a petrol station and your car is fixed and a new paint job. When you get upgrades you don't go to a garage, you press a few buttons in the middle of the road and your car has been upgraded. I'd like to see that happen in real life.

3)Thirdly, the pursuits. I wasn't good at them on the previous game but I liked them, on this game they're really boring. You've got an over-powered car and it's easy to evade the pursuits. In the first most wanted race, at the first spike strips I push the other vehicle into the strips and I followed as I could get away, three of my tires were puncture yet he drives away like nothing has happened.

4)I must say, and I am a Forza fan. I would get Horizon over Most Wanted, sure the driving styles are different. But with Forza you get better graphics, you can upgrade your car however you want, you can put your own paint job on the car, you get a large variety of cars varying from VW's to Bugatti's and I haven't seen the full Most Wanted map but I'm going to take a guess from the rest of the game that Forza will have a better map as well.

I wish the game was better, I generally like NFS games but this has been a real let down. But the game is awful, you may thing differently but that is your opinion.

1)Why?Every car is unlocked, each car has five races, there is absolutely no need to to build up towards better car.

2)It's not real life, a virtual garage makes no difference.

3)What is it you are trying to say there?

4)You have both games, why not look at the maps and stop speculating.

I played the original Most Wanted, and when my brother purchase the new version I thought I'd try it out to see if it's any good as I was interested in getting it myself.

I was on it for an hour earlier today and I must say it is horrible, I expected so much more from it. I didn't expect it to be similar to Forza, but I still expected it to be a good game, I can't even say the racing is good because it's always a rolling start and the last race I did I started last and accidentally crashed on a hard race, yet I was still able to easy get into first even though I didn't take one corner well.

Another thing I don't like, the way the game starts. When you're given the Austin I expected to be told to go to a garage, be given 30,000 or so and be allowed to purchase your own car and upgrade it yourself, in the garage. But no, you drive towards a Porsche. You should not start a game with a Porsche, yes they're good cars but it takes the fun out of working yourself up from a run of the mill car to a few good car which you work for. Instead of driving around, finding 41 cars. You don't even get to change the paint yourself, you go through a petrol station and your car is fixed and a new paint job. When you get upgrades you don't go to a garage, you press a few buttons in the middle of the road and your car has been upgraded. I'd like to see that happen in real life.

Thirdly, the pursuits. I wasn't good at them on the previous game but I liked them, on this game they're really boring. You've got an over-powered car and it's easy to evade the pursuits. In the first most wanted race, at the first spike strips I push the other vehicle into the strips and I followed as I could get away, three of my tires were puncture yet he drives away like nothing has happened.

I must say, and I am a Forza fan. I would get Horizon over Most Wanted, sure the driving styles are different. But with Forza you get better graphics, you can upgrade your car however you want, you can put your own paint job on the car, you get a large variety of cars varying from VW's to Bugatti's and I haven't seen the full Most Wanted map but I'm going to take a guess from the rest of the game that Forza will have a better map as well.

AGREE and I thought it was going to be a lot better than this This game is a right mess what have they done to it ?

I dont care a game is a game think I better do some racing in most wanted lol

A bit of NFS and a bit of Burnout oh well I guess once you get into the game, you'll get used to it :-)

Edited by Flash1965

First off, this is not Forza so don't compare it to Forza. Second off all, they tried to take a new approach, because it's not a secret that NFS games have started becoming slightly stale year in and year out. Some choices they made don't suit every person out there. Customization is at a minimum, but the car selection is great. This game is not made to be realistic, hence on the spot upgrading and FLYING THROUGH THE AIR LIKE A PLANE.

The pursuits are good, although quite easy if you try to get away as fast as possible from the very start. You have to let your heat level build up. All, reinflating tires are an upgrade on some cars.

Sounds like you are looking for a completely different game than NFS: MW 2012.

My last point is that we need a NFS: Underground 3.

There was soooooooooo much material released before release, nobody has much of an excuse to say its not what they expected, hours on hours of trailers, gameplay, reviews...games amazing.

Exactly, don't be blaming someone else for your lack of research

Let's be honest here. Not every has time to watch hours of gameplay footage every week to "research" what game they should expect. I love the game, but this not the correct way to argue the OP's problems with the game.

I am also really disappointed with the approach they took on this game...what the hell were they thinking?!?!?

The other thing that annoys me is that the black list members are just car names so the drivers have no personality.

Maybe the letters "EA" when the game starts up has something to do with that?

@ the OP...To each their own. No shame in speaking your opnion. I haven't played much of it but it seems a lot like Burnout Paradise meets NFS.

As long as its better than Criterion's effort with Hot Pursuit and a bit like Burnout Paradise I'll be happy.

Someone told me its not Burnout Paradise 2 but it has Paradise elements in it.

My copy is still in the post so I won't be finding out for a few days, but if it really is as bad as some people are saying I might just send it straight back unopened!

I wouldn't say it's "bad" but I have found it a bit disappointing. I don't think the graphics are as good as they should be, and it can be impossibly hard to see where you're supposed to be going sometimes in races.

It really does come down to personal preference though for racing games; most people on here seem to think this is great and Hot Pursuit was bad, but I really enjoyed Hot Pursuit and think it's miles better than this. I also preferred Ridge Racer Unbounded to this, and I seem to be about the only person on the planet that didn't hate that game.