Official Golden Key Thread/FAQ

Wildmn34

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just going to put this quick little FAQ up in regards to all things Golden Key related for Borderlands 2. If you have a question that’s not on this little list and you think it should be throw me a PM and I’ll try to add it.

So, let’s jump right in!

What are these Golden Keys I keep hearing about?

Golden Keys are a special key that unlocks a chest in the town of Sanctuary. The chest can be found in the same room as the Fast Travel station. The only way to open the chest is by having a key.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/BeezerMN/afa95805acb2101cac69571212bf54181266dd10.jpg

What’s inside the chest?

Like any other chest in Borderlands it’s completely random. It can be anything from shields, class mods, to any type of weapon.

Can I get Legendary weapons from the chest?

Unfortunately, no. Pretty much any color buy orange. Some people have reported pulling an orange from the chest, but I haven’t seen 100% confirmation on that. I personally have seen greens, blues, purples, and pinks.

What level of gear is in the chest?

That depends on the level of the person who opens it. If you are a level 5 Assassin, then the gear will be level 5. If you are a level 50 Gunzerker the gear will be level 50.

You keep talking about Golden Keys, how do I get one?

Well, there are a couple ways to get them. If you preordered the game you got the Premiere Club which game with several weapons and 1 Golden Key. You can also get an additional key for singing up to Gearbox’s new site called Shift. You can sign up right from the main menu of the game under the “Extras” tab.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/BeezerMN/SHiFT_Xbox_MainMenu.png

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/BeezerMN/SHiFT_Xbox_SignUp.png

Once you register it may take between 24-48 hours for your account to be activated. You will be notified the next time you load up your character if you have acquired any new keys.

Ok, so I accidentally used my Golden Key(s) too early. How do I get more?

Currently you can get additional Golden Key codes by watching Randy Pitchford and Gearbox’s twitter accounts (@DuvalMagic and @GearboxSoftware). They have also said codes may be dropped on Facebook as well. Link

Also, the post right above this one I will always try to have the most recent codes posted until they have expired. Some codes will only be available to be redeemed during a specific time frame. I will have that time frame posted, most likely with Central Time. I suck at math, but this site can help you figure out what time it is for you. Every Time Zone

I got a code and Xbox isn’t letting me redeem it. I know I’m typing it in right, what’s wrong?

Ah, you’re not doing anything wrong. You’re just redeeming the code in the wrong place. Currently Golden Key codes can only be redeemed via the main menu Shift area. To get there go to the main menu, scroll down to Extras. It will say “Welcome back to Shift” at the bottom of the screen you will see and option to hit :xbut: for Shift code. Go ahead and hit :xbut: and enter the code.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/BeezerMN/SHiFT_Xbox_Offers.png

Once you redeem the code go ahead and go back to the main menu and load up your character. You should receive a message saying you have a new Golden Key and how many keys you have.

So, I redeemed a code but I’m only level 8 can I wait to use it or do I have to redeem it right away?

There is no expiration date for the keys once you redeem it. Feel free to sit on it until you want to use it. There’s no hurry to use them, so don’t worry.

How many times can I redeem a code?

All codes I have seen so far have been one time use codes per account.

I have 4 keys. Does that mean I have 4 keys for every character?

Nope. You have 4 keys for your profile. Meaning if you use a Golden Key with your Soldier and go to play with your Assassin you will only have 3 keys left. So, don’t waste them.

If you have any other questions not covered above let me know.

Edited by Wildmn34

I'm most others may have four or even more. I was just curious how maybe some of you others got them, since I don't know.

I know I got one from Premiere Club, and another one from signing up for "Shift."

But what about the other two? Did I get one for completing the last game?

And isn't there only one chest? so I can only use them once in each separate game, or does the chest just close again?

I'm most others may have four or even more. I was just curious how maybe some of you others got them, since I don't know.

I know I got one from Premiere Club, and another one from signing up for "Shift."

But what about the other two? Did I get one for completing the last game?

And isn't there only one chest? so I can only use them once in each separate game, or does the chest just close again?

I didn't notice the Key in my inventory, although I was focused on shooting too much to browse thoroughly. I will be sad if you did get one for beating the previous game, I lost access to my account that has BL1 100%'d, and only just fired up the game on my current account to earn a save, so I'd unlock the extra skins in BL2.

After watching my roomy have a meltdown for accidentally popping the chest at lvl9 last night, it's good to know if there will be more keys to be had right away.

I have 3 golden keys right now. 1 from the Premiere Club, 1 from the Shift site signup, and I have no clue where the 3rd one came from. I'm assuming it's from completing the first game. I have every achievement in Borderlands 1. That's unconfirmed if that's what unlocks it or not. I'd love to know where the 4th one comes from. Since I don't have 4. And I even bought the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition. So you'd think I'd have the most possible right now. :confused:

I have 3 golden keys right now. 1 from the Premiere Club, 1 from the Shift site signup, and I have no clue where the 3rd one came from. I'm assuming it's from completing the first game. I have every achievement in Borderlands 1. That's unconfirmed if that's what unlocks it or not. I'd love to know where the 4th one comes from. Since I don't have 4. And I even bought the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition. So you'd think I'd have the most possible right now. :confused:

I also have every achievement in Borderlands 1 and I got the character skin bonuses, but I did not get an extra key. So that's not where your 3rd one came from.

I pre-orderd from Gamestop, bought the Ultimate Loot Edition, and have a save file from Borderlands with 100% completion.

And I only have (well, HAD) 1 key. So for those of you who had more, the above reasons are not why. Didn't realize that chest was going to eat my 1 and only key >_< Hopefully I can grab more later.

So i started the game from the very beginning and when me and my friend got to the sactuary city i kept using the gold key to open the chest and i could open it an infinite amount of times even though the game said i had zero keys. I have max money now from selling everything i got and i equipped the best i got so far.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Also my friend was the host, not me

not splitscreen over xbox live. And around the time i was level 10 so the weapons were selling anywhere from 200 to 500 a piece and so were the shields and mods. I got lots of money but had to make a million trips back and forth, the weapons/mods/shields were always purple so that might be why they gave me a lot of money for selling them

Like title says. I accidentally opened it not paying attention to the chest. I realized it was that when there were only 2 pearlescent pistols inside. So I quit to dashboard and re loaded only to be pissed. It still uses the key and takes whatever it gave you if you quit to dash. Anyone know if that key is a one time use or can it be used once per play thru or once per character?