A Guide to the Best Weapons and Armor (Includes "God" Armor)

Method

There goes 50 hours of my game down the toilet. You might want to highlight the part of your guide that says you can't go across to daedric from dragon. Not only does the best light armor set get no weapons, but you cant even go craft Daedric weapons without using 5 more perks what a ripoff, I am very very close to restarting because of this crap. Thats what I get for just jumping into a game I really wanted to enjoy without spoiling it too much, now I have 3 perks that ended up being completely useless.

I was already 100 before you even wrote it, so in no way do I blame you lol but something like this should be pointed out very clearly in a guide as it can cause hours of time wasted.

And as for your question earlier about best enchantments for resale, I do have to agree with you, Absorb Health for weapons is the best overall for reselling, I think I didn't have the enchantment when I first started and was using Drain Stamina and just stuck with that after I got absorb health. For Armor (from the ones I have so far which is most) Fortify Archery seems to be the general highest, with Fortify Destruction second. This is just on crap gear with a petty soul gem, but thats what you should be using for the most part.

But to defend my part about going out and trapping souls and such myself, I was leveling up conjuring anyway, and if you just run through a close dungeon you can fill 30-40 of them in like 10 minutes, and get other loot to sell, and possibly find other important enchantments to learn, all while leveling up other skills as well. But I get it, your guide is to go out and get the best armor as quick as possible, basically making yourself a god and not having the enjoyment of fighting for your life as a mammoth chases you across the plains at level 13! >.> <.< ahhh good times

Edited by Midnight Malice

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't quite do things the way I described in the guide (I boosted one handed for a while first) so I can't give you a 100% firm level but I'd say you should end up somewhere in the level 30 region when it's all said and done. Like vulkean said though, this equipment will make the level scaling feel non existent. I had no problems going out and exploring when I finished doing it and I was level 40.

ok thanks, I just an new game and I'm still in Riverwood. But have done some side quest and mining. I also boosted 1 handed and 2 handed a little and i got Orcish smitting. So I'm starting your guid from here.

Thanks again for this guide.

I've got a question: Why does the crafting gear consist of only 4 items? A full set of armor and jewelry would be more pieces to enchant, is there also a cap on how high the +smithing/alchemy effect can go as enchantments?

If I wanted to enchant that gear afterwards, would I need to create the "ultimate enchanting" set as well or is the +32% potion enough to maximize the effects?

best regards

I've got a question: Why does the crafting gear consist of only 4 items? A full set of armor and jewelry would be more pieces to enchant, is there also a cap on how high the +smithing/alchemy effect can go as enchantments?

If I wanted to enchant that gear afterwards, would I need to create the "ultimate enchanting" set as well or is the +32% potion enough to maximize the effects?

best regards

You can only assign fortify alchemy and smithing enchantments to certain pieces of equipment. In other words you can't actually put a fortify smithing enchantment on a helm. That's why there's only five pieces. The smithing and alchemy enchantments only fit on four pieces of equipment each and share three of them. Fortify enchanting is actually not an enchantment that exists and is only available through potions.

Yes there is a cap for the effects of alchemy and smithing on armor, it's 29%. Last, you need the crafting set to make +32% enchanting potions. Otherwise the potions won't be as strong.

Pretty sure you can't enchant armours with "fortify enchanting". In this case, the potion (that you made with the alchemy increasing armours) is all you need to enchant.

Thanks for the guide! Have started using the alchemy guide at the top and it is the best I have found so far!

Nice guide but I really think putting perks into Alchemy is a waist, when you get to a high enough level it is possible to buy or steal from several potion dealers(one in riften) a enchanting exlir which does plus 25% to enchanting so for that possible extra 4% for enchanting is it worth the spending of perk points?

Nice guide but I really think putting perks into Alchemy is a waist, when you get to a high enough level it is possible to buy or steal from several potion dealers(one in riften) a enchanting exlir which does plus 25% to enchanting so for that possible extra 4% for enchanting is it worth the spending of perk points?

The enchanting potion isn't' too important, but the +130% smithing potion is critical as the highest I've ever seen for sale is +50%. The smithing potion is what gives you the super high armor rating and makes you a damage sponge.

When you've done all this, what lvl will your character be?

Because, I've read that if you lvl up, the enemies insides caves and stuff will be levelling up with you.

and I don't want to face a dungeon/mine boss with low lvl one handed/two handed weapon.

Enemies do not scale with you, so there should be no problem following this guide in that regard. Only a few enemies end up scaling... daedras and some human enemies (hunters, guards, etc, or some such).

According to Prime guide, anyways, which has been wrong before.

The enchanting potion isn't' too important, but the +130% smithing potion is critical as the highest I've ever seen for sale is +50%. The smithing potion is what gives you the super high armor rating and makes you a damage sponge.

Would it just be easier to lower the difficulty if you dont want to die because if your armour and weapon damage goes to a UBER level thats what playing on the hardest difficulty will become with this level of Alchemy removing all challenge from the game lol... as I said I'm not knocking the guide but just think the perk points are waisted when you can get potions that will improve your enchanting (+25%) and smithing (+50%) without making the game too easy.

I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not. The wiki states that there is an 85% cap on damage resistance (same as oblivion) and that occurs at 567 displayed armor rating. So your estimated 3000+ is unnecessary and you've already reached the cap. In regards to armor this process appears more beneficial to those utilizing light armor with which it is marginally more difficult to reach the cap. This process should work wonderfully for weapons.

Would it just be easier to lower the difficulty if you dont want to die because if your armour and weapon damage goes to a UBER level thats what playing on the hardest difficulty will become with this level of Alchemy removing all challenge from the game lol... as I said I'm not knocking the guide but just think the perk points are waisted when you can get potions that will improve your enchanting (+25%) and smithing (+50%) without making the game too easy.
To each his own right? This guide isn't meant to force anything on you, just show you a path to get the best equipment so you can play on harder difficulties and and get the feeling of accomplishment for doing so. If you don't want to do it that way, then have fun with your way :)

I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not. The wiki states that there is an 85% cap on damage resistance (same as oblivion) and that occurs at 567 displayed armor rating. So your estimated 3000+ is unnecessary and you've already reached the cap. In regards to armor this process appears more beneficial to those utilizing light armor with which it is marginally more difficult to reach the cap. This process should work wonderfully for weapons.
I unfortunately think you're right. I fortified my armor to 1250 and didn't notice any difference from the 580 I had. I'll put this info into the guide. On a positive side, this means you don't really need to spend any perks into increasing armor % if you do this method as you'll be at 567 without it (at least with heavy). This is still great for making enchanted items and super weapons though. Just a shame I can't get my armor rating so high I don't take damage :)

You can also add +Smithing/Alchemy enchantments to two equipped daggers, increasing your overall Smithing/Alchemy skill by another 58%, I believe. Haven't crafted items with it yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not.

Here's the glitch allowing you to do so, from GameFaqs:

For this glitch to work you must have 100 enchantment and the perk that allows you to add 2 enchantments to a weapon. First thing you do is go to the enchantment table and select the soul gem you wish to use. Then is to choose a weapon enchantment i.e. Frost damage, Stamina damage, Soul Trap etc. Then select a fortify enchantment, de-select the fortify enchantment, then select it again. You should now be able to select a weapon to enchant.

You can also add +Smithing/Alchemy enchantments to two equipped daggers, increasing your overall Smithing/Alchemy skill by another 58%, I believe. Haven't crafted items with it yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not.

Here's the glitch allowing you to do so, from GameFaqs:

I tried the above and although it works, the enchantment doesn't seem to actually take. By that I mean that even if I equip the dagger with the +smithing enchantment, it doesn't show up in my active effects menu.

Any idea why my Enchanting for Fortify Alchemy has a base of 20%? I have all the necessary perks in enchanting and 7 relevant perks in Alchemy.

My equipment enchantment cap at 22% and my potions cap at 28%.

I managed to get to 23% on equipment and 32% on potions only by using a Falmer Helment, where you have 2 head pieces equipped (together with a circlet).

So I actually have +23%, +22%, +22%, +22%, +22%.

What I'm wondering is why everyone seems to have a base of Fortify Alchemy 25% (no potion use, just 100 in Enchanting). A poster on Gamefaqs claimed that it was because of an update. But I'm running the latest version and my base is still 20%...

I. Fucking. Love. You.

Haha Method your a boss! When I get back from thanksgiving Vacation IM doing this, I'm just ganna do it with my current character though, he's only level 30 so it shouldd still work and I already have 65K so I should easily get my 100K and be able to buy the solitude house finally haha :)

Did I say I love you?

Alright, I posted on the last page before this guide was finished about it being great. I was correct. The reason why I love this guide so much and what sets it apart from others is how systematic it is. You could literally create a new character and start from step 1. I realize that many other guides for other tasks or games may require more inputs, thus making it impossible to begin at any moment, but this 100 enchanting, 100 smithing, 100 herb, (almost) 100 speech, best gear guide begins the moment you "leave the sewer" and carries you step by step until you have your gear. My only problem came with acquiring the absorb magicka enchant. I had to restock for about a month in game time before it finally appeared. In the mean time, I managed to get just about every other enchant, including Turn Undead and the seemingly rare Paralysis (I saw a topic on either this forum or Bethesda where people discussed the difficulty of obtaining that one).

Now, to answer the question of "what level will you be" at the completion of the guide -- I'm not yet finished, but I am currently level 24 with 100 Alchemy, 38 enchanting (only from disenchanting gear), 73 speech (only from buying/selling potions and enchanted gear**), and 49 smithing (one batch of 100 daggers). I'll update when I get 100/100/100. I have not boosted any other skills. My combat skills have not increased more than a couple of points - not enough to increase my overall level by more than 1. I also have 90k gold after having spent 20k on enchanted gear.

**Note: I made a lot more potions than needed for 100 alchemy due to making all my potions at once. Once I was unable to sell all potions made, I simply would buy all ingredients, sell what I could, restock, buy all, sell what I could, restock, repeat as needed and then once all potions I had were gone, I would make what I could from the mass influx of ingredients I had. As a result, I went from 94 to 100 in the first quarter of my last batch (which was HUGE). I would estimate I would have gone up to 110 or so skill had leveling continued. I ended up putting points into speech and selling it at the vendor in Riverwood who has 11k after being invested in. In total, I made over 50k from that last batch alone.

Anyways, as far as best enchant for the iron daggers, assume all traits hold the following values:

- 38 enchanting

- 73 speech with 3/5 haggling (+20) -- though I don't think this increases value, I'll leave it up here anyways

- Enchanted with a petty soul gem

- Max amount of enchantment power, lowest charge

- First enchant on dagger ever -- in case diminishing returns are based on quantity made

With the following enchantment, my value was:

Absorb health - 632

Absorb Magicka - 424

Absorb Stamina - 440

Fear - 336

Fire Damage - 232

Frost Damage - 280

Paralyze - 696

Shock Damage - 280

Soul Trap - 192

Turn Undead - 600

Unless there is something I'm not factoring in, paralysis seems to be the best enchant for money. It should be noted that value is not synonymous with what you get paid for it. I suspect that after diminished prices and the merchants mark up, thus cutting your profits (even with speech up), the 400+ value spells (at 38 enchanting) probably are pretty similar in price. The higher values ones obviously take bigger cuts due to percentages.

Now, to test if enchanter points change values, I held the attributes above constant and added two points to Enchanter (2/5, +40% enchanting). This did not change the values. I'm assuming based upon this, increased enchanter skill lowers value.

EDIT: Just started producing and values are plummeting as my skill rises.

One question I may have as I am currently working on enchanting: Did you only use petty/lesser filled soul gems from Farengar (after the initial purchases from the general goods store)? I probably didn't buy as many from general goods as I tried to rapidly get Alchemy up by only buying and selling with Arcadia to forgo load screens, but I'm only getting 2-4 gems per restock from Farengar. I could keep this pace up and get 100 enchanting relatively soon, I'm just wondering if there was a less tedious way -- such as, perhaps, splurging on common filled soul gems.

Edited by mathgod9