IGN Review

WalterWhite

A good sign when a review gets put up early these days. Looks great, minus the multiplayer of course which everyone is reporting as pretty standard or downright awful.

Destructoid: 8.5/10

Eurogamer: 8/10

Game Informer: 9.25

Games Radar: 4.5/5 Stars

Gamespot: 8.5

Gametrailers: 8.5

IGN: 9.1

Kotaku: Yes. (I hate their review system.)

N4G: 8.5

Xbox 360a: 75

There's nothing too terribly spoilery in this video review but if you're a die hard purist of the series there's enough hints that you might want to skip it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91g_a9JjQYg]Tomb Raider Review - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by WalterWhite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good sign when a review gets put up early these days. Looks great, minus the multiplayer of course.

Final Score: 9.1

It is nice, and reassuring to see the reviews coming up early, I'm looking at you colonial marines, but non of them are overly detailed on things like mechanics, how xp works, is there a NG+ ect...

Just makes me want to play this game even more..not that I follow IGN's reviews strongly. :p

I agree. What I do like about IGN and Gamespot even more, is that they do video reviews. Alot of sites don't and I like seeing a good quality video with a mix of gameplay clips as opposed to watching forty-five minute play sessions that show entire levels of a game leaving nothing to the imagination. So they're good for that, the journalism on it's own, not so much.

Also, I probably should have just titled this "Reviews." I just didn't realize so many had hit until a minute after I posted. If anyone with the power to change the title of this is looking, feel free to fix the thread title.

Edited by WalterWhite

This makes me quite happy. Not only were they confident enough to let these sites play without an embargo but we get the review over a week in advance. Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

It's getting to the point where I worry if there isn't a review up by the time a game releases. Mainly due to the terrible games we seem to get after an embargo. I never buy a game based on reviews alone but when there are no reviews at all, it makes me very suspicious.

This makes me quite happy. Not only were they confident enough to let these sites play without an embargo but we get the review over a week in advance. Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

It's getting to the point where I worry if there isn't a review up by the time a game releases. Mainly due to the terrible games we seem to get after an embargo. I never buy a game based on reviews alone but when there are no reviews at all, it makes me very suspicious.

Very true. If a company embargo their reviews it just say's to me that they are worried their game is going to be panned. Tomb Raider seems to be scoring well so far which is good for the series. Just do away with the multiplayer next game and we're sorted.

Very true. If a company embargo their reviews it just say's to me that they are worried their game is going to be panned. Tomb Raider seems to be scoring well so far which is good for the series. Just do away with the multiplayer next game and we're sorted.

I could stomach tacked on bad multiplayer much easier if they would at least leave the achievements out of the equation. I don't mind multiplayer achievements if the multiplayer doesn't play like an afterthought. :p

However, I fully agree that some games are better off without the multiplayer component. It seems that publishers are forcing every developer to tack on a multiplayer these days.

I feel the same way, Max Payne was actually fun while playing it though, hopefully the same here.

Yeah I can't lie and say I didn't like Max Payne. It was actually fun for a while -before the grind to level 50 got kinda boring :p But if I remember correctly, no one ever complained when Rockstar decided to add a Multiplayer component to that game...

Absolutely disgusted with what's happened. So they made a wonderful single player experience but managed to make 1/3 of the achievement list geared towards a multiplayer they FUCKING KNEW would be terrible. Hell, the only community who will be playing on the servers in the coming 2-3 months will be boosters.

Before all the completionists get too excited, just remember, you have to prestige 3 times in the shitty multiplayer to get the full 1000G. Have fun boosting for the next 45 hours my fellow achievement hunters.

THIS is the perfect example of why some people lose interest in a game that should completely be given praise.

Absolutely disgusted with what's happened. So they made a wonderful single player experience but managed to make 1/3 of the achievement list geared towards a multiplayer they FUCKING KNEW would be terrible. Hell, the only community who will be playing on the servers in the coming 2-3 months will be boosters.

Before all the completionists get too excited, just remember, you have to prestige 3 times in the shitty multiplayer to get the full 1000G. Have fun boosting for the next 45 hours my fellow achievement hunters.

THIS is the perfect example of why some people lose interest in a game that should completely be given praise.

I love my completions the same as the next guy, but seriously, I couldn't give a bottle of squirrel diarrhea about the mutiplayer and the respective achievements. All about the single player for me and enjoying that as much as possible.

To sum up, I could spend quality time with the apparently very good single player component or I could boost multiplayer just for gamerscore and completion for 45 hours. I know what I'm spending my time on and it ain't grinding exp in a redundant multiplayer mode. I'd hope that other's would do the same.

I'll also say, I really feel for anyone who is skipping this game simply because it has multiplayer achievements. That is really bad.

Absolutely disgusted with what's happened...

We completionists don't care how long it takes to grind out MP achievements. Nor do we care if the MP sucks, we'll get it done.

Echoed for truth. This is a shining example of tacked on multiplayer at it's worst. And expecting people to reach max level three times? That's just a ploy to keep their multiplayer numbers high and create the illusion of interest. I won't even bother trying for any multiplayer achievements I can't get in the course of a couple hours in this game, if I even do that much. That's fifty hours I could spend with a quality game.

Echoed for truth. This is a shining example of tacked on multiplayer at it's worst. And expecting people to reach max level three times? That's just a ploy to keep their multiplayer numbers high and create the illusion of interest. I won't even bother trying for any multiplayer achievements I can't get in the course of a couple hours in this game, if I even do that much. That's fifty hours I could spend with a quality game.

Which achievement requires you to prestige 3 times? Is it a secret one? I just looked again and I must just be missing something obvious.

Which achievement requires you to prestige 3 times? Is it a secret one? I just looked again and I must just be missing something obvious.

Shopaholic: Purchased all upgrades and characters in multiplayer. Unless this person is mistaken.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=425163

Shopaholic: Purchased all upgrades and characters in multiplayer. Unless this person is mistaken.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=425163

Trust me Im not mistaken. Im going into my 2nd Prestige and the final SOLARII character is locked and says it wont until Prestige 3. I have everyone else unlocked including Lara who you get at 60. I thought she would have been the final person, you know seeing as the game is about her but nope, and the last person isnt even a major person from the game.

It also will take around 250,000 salvage to unlock everything. Just read the method I put up and all will be fine. It will take 42-60hrs to finish the multiplayer though, should be 42 but some are slow players.

The single player will probably be about 8-10hrs. With some doing speed runs in 3-4hrs.