In Depth Achievement Guide

I thought the achievement guide posted on the site wasn't thorough enough in explaining the achievements, so here's an extremely detailed guide. It pretty much is an expanded guide to the one posted on the site. PS: Achievements are only recorded after you save you game. If you don't save, you don't get the achievement.

"Available Officer" Achievements (10 - 250 Officers Available)

Here's how to get all the officers:

1. Start the Empire Scenario "A Gathering of Heroes". Make sure your officer setting is at "Many". You chose this scenario because all the officers are alive and available to get in this one.

2. Make an area with your best guys, and start the game. I would suggest finishing at least the "Yellow Turban Rebellion" Scenario first just so you can have experienced officers to start with. If you are using experienced officers, make sure that setting is "On" when you start the game.

3. Conquer all of China except one area (corners work best) and make sure it only controls one area. Make a long alliance with that last county, which you get through consulting your officers (once you use it once and save you have it forever), the first option on the country viewing screen. If you do not have it, make short alliances. They work just as good, but are only a third as long so you have to remember to keep redoing it more often.

4(Intro). Now here is the boring part. Use either "Hire-Wide" (4A) or "Recruit" (4B) during your command phase to get all the officers. If you have an officer, a "Get" will be blinking next to their name. If there is no get, hire him/her. Then once you run out of commands, save and pass your turn. Make another alliance with the last country when necessary. Also, when you reach the max number of officers, save and dismiss any number of them (enough to hire all the officers you still actually need).

4A. Hire-Wide: This is the far easier method (for me, at least). Start out by using the "Development" Option on every area you control until they are all maxxed out. Then use "Produce" to make 2 of every item you can make. You will still have some "?"s on your item making screen, but that comes later. By now you should be a king, so you all of your commands except one every turn to "Hire-Wide" to hire every officer that you don't have. Just agree to whatever they want, you can make the items for free after all. Remember to dismiss your officers AFTER you save so you can get more. Use the other command for one of the trading (North, South, ect.); it does not matter which you do, just remember to alternate between them. Once you get to about 20-10 left, you'll start running into ones that won't join you for anything you have. This is why you left one command every turn for trading. Through trading, if you get lucky, you will be able to produce a new item. And these rare items are the items those officers want. It may be time consuming, but this is the fastest way to do it. Be warned though, it is extremely hard to get an officer currently working for the last country. Use 4C if they can't be persuaded and all else fails.

4B. Recruit: You're going to have to be quite lucky to get them all with this option, but I'll tell you how anyway. Just use all your command points to recruit every turn. You'll want to keep 88 officers at the beginning of every turn (88 so you have the best odds of getting the ones you don't have, and leaving 6 slots for new officers). Then recruit 6 times, save, dismiss 6, and pass your turn. Keep repeating until luck smiles on you and you get them all. This option by far takes a lot less preparation, but you can't control which officers you can recruit, so you better cross your fingers. Also, you can't recruit officers that are in other countries, so use 4C to get the last 6 that are left.

4C. If you're desperate, start another "Gathering of Heroes" Scenario. Write down the names of the last officers you don't have, and make a country out of them. Save on a different save file, and presto, you have added 6 officers to your collection. Some officers (for some reason, glitch maybe?) will not be counted through this method, but most of them are easy to get through normal battles anyway.

"Cleared (Scenario)" Achievements

There is no real way to speed this up. My only tip for you is start off your first Scenario (probably Yellow Turban Rebellion) using an edit character. For me, he has Zhu Ci's move pattern, which works excellently in lower ranks. Just make sure to use an edit character, and make the setting for edit characters when making the game "On". This way, you can use the same character for all six Scenarios (because through the Scenarios non-edited officers die and are born so you can't use the same non-edited officer through the whole game).

Also, you can use "Neutral Start" and "Forced March" if you have these tactics and can afford to use them. Using these two tactics makes the game end in about 5 minutes (If you play smart by taking bases as soon as the game starts). To use the tactic, first you must get it through consulting. Then, make it during your command phase. Next, during the pre-battle phase (when you see a map of the field), chose "Preparations" then "Tactics". "Neutral Start" will automatically activate, while "Forced March" you have to activate in game (Pause the game, select "Tactics", and then select "Forced March"). This way you can just run though bases picking them up, and you can get almost all of them because "Forced March" makes you run faster.

Basically, play well and hard and conquer all 25 areas to win the Scenario. Make sure to save when prompted at the end of the Scenario or you will not get the achievement. You would have to start from your last save and finish the scenario again if you do not save. Also, you can get this achievement on any difficulty, including easiest, but just know; by the end of a scenario, the difficulty automatically goes up one level, so don't expect "Novice" all the way through it. To unlock the next Scenario, you need to beat the one you already have ("A Gathering or Heroes" doesn't count). Other then that, that's all the help I can give for these.

"Play Battle of (Name Here)" Achievements

(I'm going to shamelessly Agree with the Achievement Guide on the easy ones here)

1. Play Yellow Turban Rebellion: This is the easiest of them all, but I'll lay down the basics here. For most of them, you just pick a territory, pick "Skip Battle", and the message inviting you to the special stage pops up. Accept it, and play it if you want. Win or lose, or even retreat, you still get the Achievement Regardless. For this achievement, first chose the "Yellow Turban Rebellion" Scenario. Then chose Yuan Shao (His country is in the top right, he is yellow), and start the game. Skip your turn, and play the battle; nice and easy achievement.

2. Play the Battle of Hu Lao Gate: Chose the "Dong Zhou in Luo Yang" Scenario, and chose Sun Jian (his country is in the middle right side and is red). Skip your turn, accept the invite to the battle, save after it, and you're done.

3. Play the Battle of Guan Du: Chose the "Battle of Guan Du" Scenario (Yes, you skipped "A Divided Land" completely). Pick Juan Shao (He is in the same area Yuan Shao was, in the top right corner and yellow). Once again start the game, skip your turn, and accept the invitation. Play the battle, save afterwards, and you're done.

4. Play the Battle of Chi Bi: Chose the "Flames over Chi Bi" Scenario. Pick Sun Quan (The red territory in the right middle again). Skip your turn, accept the invite, save after the battle, and we have 4 out of 5.

5. Play the Battle of Yi Ling: This one is the most complicated of all. Thusly, it's lettered.

A) Chose the "Flames over Chi Bi" Scenario (again).

B) Chose Sun Quan (again).

C) Wait until Lui Bei has taken over Chang Sha AND the territory to it's direct left.

D) Once he has both, sucessfully take Chang Sha from him.

E) Skip turns until you are invited to the special battle (should be no more then 4).

F) Play in it, save, and you're done with the Achievements for the game!

Well, that's my guide, I hope it was helpful. If you have any questions, or find a mistake, please either PM me or E-mail me at [email protected]

Extras

Well, I stumbled upon these while playing through the game again, so here are some extras I found.

NOTE: I found out this post got too long, surprise surprise. Scroll down for the extras.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited, now it includes "Bonus" (Non-achievement) unlockables.

Oh, and thank you for the sticky.:)

(Extras continued from above)

1. Cao Cao Cutscene- Play the "Divided Land" Scenario. Play as Cao Cao, and skip for about 8 turns. Eventually, you will see a loading screen. It's that easy, now watch and enjoy.

2. Good ending- A more prominent feature for the PS2 version then the X-Box 360 version (mostly because this version doesn't reward you for it, but the PS2 version does). Anyway, this one is hard to get. To achieve it, you must play any Scenario and conquer 24 of the territories, and ally with the last remaining one. Make it a long aliance, because this is gonna take awhile. Up to that point in your scenario, you can not take any "bad" measures against your people (this means you cannot use bad "Assigns", such as "Emergency Tax", against the people). Basically, if you wouldn't like your own governement to do it to you, don't do it to your people. Instead, you have to use things like "Charitable Aid" and "Distribution" repeatedly. I wouldn't suggest going for this unlockable, it's just a little cutscene at the end where your character shows how "Good" he or she is. It's not worth the hour(s) needed to get this.

3. Bad ending- Ah, evil is so easy. Basically, just be downright cruel to your people in any scenario. If there are uprisings against you every turn, you know you're reached it. Same set-up as before, any scenario, 24 territories, the works. But this one only takes about 15 minutes to accomplish, so it's the easier special ending by far. Enjoy your evil cutscene!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When you're attempting to use the Hire-Wide assign to collect officers, you should have at least 3 each of some items (I used harnesses). It's not so much that they don't want the items you have, but that some of them are really greedy. The last few I needed were all taking "3 each of [insert item name]". Just thought I'd let ya know. :boxer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5. Play the Battle of Yi Ling: This one is the most complicated of all. Thusly, it's lettered.

A) Chose the "Flames over Chi Bi" Scenario (again).

B) Chose Sun Quan (again).

C) Wait until Lui Bei has taken over Chang Sha AND the territory to it's direct left.

D) Once he has both, sucessfully take Chang Sha from him.

E) Skip turns until you are invited to the special battle (should be no more then 4).

F) Play in it, save, and you're done with the Achievements for the game!

Ive done it alot of times and i finally managed to make him get those two other places (The one that was Chang Sha and the territory to it's direct left) and i keep skipping like it says but i get taken over after like 20 skips. Am i missing something here? If anyone can help i would be very grateful as it would be my 2nd last achievement for this game.

• 4 weeks later...

4A. Hire-Wide: This is the far easier method (for me, at least). Start out by using the "Development" Option on every area you control until they are all maxxed out. Then use "Produce" to make 2 of every item you can make.

I actually suggest producing three of each item, as some officers (in my game) were a bit greedy and wanted up to 3 of the same item.

Other than that, AWESOME guide. :D

Ive done it alot of times and i finally managed to make him get those two other places (The one that was Chang Sha and the territory to it's direct left) and i keep skipping like it says but i get taken over after like 20 skips. Am i missing something here? If anyone can help i would be very grateful as it would be my 2nd last achievement for this game.

When I did it he did not take both of the territories, I believe that as soon as he takes over Chang Sha, if you fight him there, after that you should get the special battle.

• 4 weeks later...

Really the only way to check which officers you don't have is to open up the full officer list (which has gone missing from the forum; I'm sure it's still around here somewhere...) and compare it with your current officer list. The hardest ones to keep track of are the generic officers, and those will be the ones you are most commonly missing. If you don't feel like going through all the work, you can stick with 4A or 4B, which require less out-of-game preperation.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed while playing that if you try to hire an officer and he refuses to join you if you look at the map before you press A, while the notice he refused is still on the screen, the area that has the item he wants is flashing. So I just developed, produced and upgraded the items in those areas to get the last few officers.