Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Clueless

For the Chief, Smash! achievement, are you able to find a better video? It cuts out halfway through :(

Hi Trev this is our video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWY40u0HH8]Halo 4 - Mission 8 Midnight - Chief Smash Achievement Guide - YouTube[/ame]

Also this is the thread to all the achievements we have done - Level specifics, Terminals etc - More once the Spartan Ops episodes release...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=397502

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Chief, Smash (On Legendary) I found the best way to do it was to grab the 2 Promethean grenades from the supply cache in the defense area (the one in the video) and then run across the bridge to where the crawlers spawn, shooting the first three that spawn and then I stopped just over halfway across the bridge. Once the next set spawns and one of them is about to cross the bridge, I tossed the first Promethean grenade, and as soon as that was about to blow I threw the second. The grenades act like a wall to have them pile up at the start of the bridge and also do the bit of damage once they explode to help damage the group and ensure some kills with a hammer smash (really important on Legendary). Thus, as soon as the last grenade blows, sprint in and smack at the center of the group. I only had two hammer smashes left and only needed one using this method and I got it first try, while I attempted the video method probably around 20.

The one thing to point out in this method on Legendary is that the crawlers will still try and shoot at you while they stopped by the grenades, but weaving back and forth on the bridge did a fine enough job to dodge the attacks. Chances are this is also easily doable as you're crossing that bridge to leave the area while the turrets shoot at the crawlers.

Edited by Shiftie

For the solo Legendary achievement, do you have to do it a continuous playthrough? (Start to finish?) Or can you change the difficulty and play the levels in any order later on? Because I started the game on Legendary, but I couldn't beat it. So I dropped it down and enjoyed the game. Now I want to go back and finish it for the achievement. Do I have to replay the levels I've already beaten? Or can I just start on the next level I need to complete on Legendary?

For example, say I beat the first 3 missions on solo Legendary already. Can I just start the game up on solo Legendary on mission 4 and continue to the end for the achievement?

The game tracks each difficulty that was completed for each chapter. So yes, you can go back and finish the chapters you missed on legendary and skip the chapters you already completed. You don't have to do it all in one playthrough.

@BloodGodAlucard & Shaun72 I had a bad experience in Halo 3 with this. Jumped around playing co-op and solo a bit too much and muddled this one up. I wrote the Roadmap with that experience in mind - I would hate for someone to be nearly finished with their Solo on Legendary run only to be cheated out of the achievement.

Shaun - was this the case in Reach as well? I didn't enjoy the campaign enough to play it a second time, let alone solo... But I'll take your word for it. :)

Hi Trev this is our video

@NeedToAchieve I like it! Into the guide it goes :p

Cheers! ;)

@BloodGodAlucard & Shaun72 I had a bad experience in Halo 3 with this. Jumped around playing co-op and solo a bit too much and muddled this one up. I wrote the Roadmap with that experience in mind - I would hate for someone to be nearly finished with their Solo on Legendary run only to be cheated out of the achievement.

Shaun - was this the case in Reach as well? I didn't enjoy the campaign enough to play it a second time, let alone solo... But I'll take your word for it. :)

Thanks for the warning Dead. I actually never played Halo 3 on Legendary since I wasn't interested in going for achievements back then. I'll keep that in mind though. It might be worth it to just start over from the beginning. I'll probably keep going as is though since I really don't want to have to replay the levels I already finished. Hopefully it will work out. If I can manage to beat it, I'll report back and let everyone know for sure. :)

There seems to be a glitch with Digging Up the Past where sometimes it won't unlock and you have to restart the level. Quite a few people are having a problem with this and I think it's related to the control panel in the next room where you can check various ship functions. I suggest not to mess with this panel until after you get the achievement.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=2479&pictureid=14769 Digging up the Past 20 :gsicon:

Found and accessed Chief's record in mission 1.

Campaign Mission 1 'Dawn' specific. Can be obtained on Easy+.

Use 'Mission Select' after initial Campaign playthrough if missed.

The Chief's record can be found down a ramp on your left after Cortana uploads herself into the chip that you insert into your helmet.

Press :xbut: to access it.

Achievement didnt pop for me, i was playing on legendary... anyone else having problems getting this?

EDIT: Seems you have to restart the level. And cant touch anything in the first room like vithzeral said

Edited by KuShNsTieN

A little thing I discovered for this achievement.

Give Him the Stick 20

In Mission 7, in solo Campaign, take out both Hunters using only the Sticky Detonator.

When I played this through the first time I got this achievement on Heroic by only finishing off the hunters with the Sticky Detonator. Buy this I mean that I had already shot them up a lot and hit them with grenades before killing them with one sticky each.

There was also a Sticky Detonator in the office at the back of the room you find them in, far right side, that I used for this.

Hope this is useful.

Is it normal I managed to unlock The Challenger and Not Some Recruit Anymore even though I didn't play any multiplayer games yet? I only completed campaign on heroic and two on legendary all by mysef. I do was log on xbox live though. I don't know how the multiplayer system works yet, my guess is you still get points from campaign, but it doesn't seems like according to your guide.

Is it normal I managed to unlock The Challenger and Not Some Recruit Anymore even though I didn't play any multiplayer games yet? I only completed campaign on heroic and two on legendary all by mysef. I do was log on xbox live though. I don't know how the multiplayer system works yet, my guess is you still get points from campaign, but it doesn't seems like according to your guide.

If you played the Campaign missions Dawn on Legendary difficulty you completed one of the Weekly Challenges for Campaign. This would have gotten you 4750 XP, which is enough to get to level 5. So, yes, it's normal that you got The Challenged and Not Some Recruit Anymore by playing solo Campaign. Other than from challenges though, you do not get XP from playing Campaign, either solo or co-op.

No way this is an 8. More like a 5.

Great guide either way :D

I agree. I've completed my Co-op Heroic playthrough - it was tough at times because the Knights are a new enemy and are difficult to read in terms of damage taken...

A bit of Knight Info:

Headshots do the most damage. Assassinations are 1 shot kills
;)

They have shields - when you see a faint blue burst from their body their shields are down.

And then I believe there are two face modes, one is flaming red... almost as if you've shot off the white shell on their face.

Anyhoo, I'm currently on Level 6 'Shutdown' Solo Legendary and I'm not finding it any more difficult than my Co-op Heroic playthrough. If anything I'm finding it a bit easier... having had experience and know which gun combo works the best for me. I'm thinking it's more of a 5 or 6 for Halo vets. After I'm finished with the campaign I'll edit the Roadmap accourdingly.

My set up for the first half of the campaign

Primary (Grunts, Jackals, Elite):

I use the BR & Pistol as much as I can for headshots until ammo is scarce.

Then I grab a Carbine because there is usually plenty of ammo available.

Secondary (Shield takedowns & EMPs):

Always had a 60%+ Plasma Pistol for depleting Elite shields, Banshee, Ghost, Wraith emp.

Only dropped the Plasma Pistol for a Sniper, Railgun, or for a quick use of Rockets (quick vehicle/banshee takedown) or Sticky Detonator.

My set up for the second half of the campaign

Primary (Crawlers & Watchers, headshoting Knights): LightRifle

Secondary (Knight take down): Scattergun - when I'm out of ammo I pick up a Suppressor and unload it close range on the Knights.

I'll drop the Scattergun temporarily for a Binary Rifle or Incineration Cannon.

Use Pulse Grenades! For some reason, they never killed any Knights in my Co-op Heroic run, but in my Solo Legendary run I'm killing plenty!

Hope this helps! It will make Solo Legendary a breeze!

Cheers! ;)

Use Pulse Grenades! For some reason, they never killed any Knights in my Co-op Heroic run, but in my Solo Legendary run I'm killing plenty!

Hope this helps! It will make Solo Legendary a breeze!

Cheers! ;)

I'm almost tempted to ask if you're sure you're on Legendary. :p Cause My experience was the exact opposite. Pulse grenades would occasionally help kill a Knight on Legendary if I threw it exactly when they were charging to throw theirs (otherwise they'd always dodge it) Never outright killed one, but take their shields down maybe. But killed several of them on Heroic runs for level specific achievements.

I'm almost tempted to ask if you're sure you're on Legendary. :p Cause My experience was the exact opposite. Pulse grenades would occasionally help kill a Knight on Legendary if I threw it exactly when they were charging to throw theirs (otherwise they'd always dodge it) Never outright killed one, but take their shields down maybe. But killed several of them on Heroic runs for level specific achievements.

Yea. Pulse nades are terrible. Stick to guns or frags/plasma. One clip of the supressor reduces their shields + stuns them at point-blank range.

I know! I'm doubting it too myself, but I'm getting the challenge complete message for #?/8 Legendary complete.

It could be the range from which I'm throwing the Pulse Grenades. I'm throwing them from Mid/Long - short range pretty much only works the way Jakez explained.

Also, a charged Plasma Pistol shot on Knights works wonders... followed by about 2 or 3 scoped LightRifle headshots to finish them off. I should be done with this playthrough within the next 2 hours - and then I'll know for sure if it was Legendary.

Edit: It was Legendary. :/ Compared to Halo 2 the difficulty was a 3! Ran through this in 8 hours probably.

Edited by * Clueless *

Also, a charged Plasma Pistol shot on Knights works wonders... followed by about 2 or 3 scoped LightRifle headshots to finish them off. I should be done with this playthrough within the next 2 hours - and then I'll know for sure if it was Legendary.

I think the knights have a mask to protect their head/face. PP is useful - but on later levels there are none

Not to complain or anything, but this guide was stickied the day it went on the forum. According to the rules, guides aren't supposed to be stickied until it's complete. Maybe this is an exception since DLM is on the guide team? Seems kind of elitist, don't you think?

The same thing happened with Shiftie's Medal of Honor: Warfighter guide. It was stickied the day after it was posted. And both games have two guides, and both second guides were written by Maka. I found Maka's guides a good compliment to the "stickied" guides and had information in them that was useful that wasn't in the stickied ones. What's up with that?

Can my guide be made sticky even though it's not finished?

No, guides will only be made sticky when the guide is complete and has been approved by a MOD or Staff member. Make sure you put in the extra effort, some guides are made sticky but have later been removed due to another guide being at a higher standard.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy