Ugh, I hate speed run achievements (Lara's Shadow)

Marriott

I can confirm that you can start 2nd speedrun in the middle checkpoint of the tunnel. Run past the thrall, jump, slide down, grab the ledge and let go right after piston touches the wall. I started running past the crushing walls after it started opening in both sections. You can take a quick break in the middle if the shadow meter is low. For 2 next pistons you can climb up the ridged wall with shadow power and, once again, wait till it touches the walls to proceed up. Jump to avoid big thrall's attack and time your jumps in the moving bridge. :woop::Bounce:

Thanks for your tips guys, glad the "suicide dive" worked for you as well:)

No offense but this doesn't clarify anything - are you saying you want us to count the number of checkpoints in the tunnel, divide by 2 and then hope we're thinking of the same check point you were?

I presume you actually mean "the checkpoint in the middle of the first tunnel" rather than "the middle checkpoint in the tunnel".

This speedrun was a ball ache.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the second to last (L-shaped) ledge before the blue fireball platform (don't even climb there) jump to the right. You will suicide "dive" into blue liquid to the right of the thralls' ledge triggering the checkpoint and thus getting achievement.

i can confirm that this method works everytime!

I've read the entire thread, and I know you can do the first speedrun the first time, but what the second one ? I know the achieve description says "after you destroy whatever", but has somebody done it the first time around, when the traps are easier ?

I doubt they'd let you do it the first time round since, like you said, the traps are easier. It's a bit of a pain if only for the faster piston things when climbing walls, just take enough time to land them and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

I did the speed runs today. The refinery took me about ten attempts, but when I read the tips in this thread, I then got it first time!

The transformer speed run took me longer, about 15 attempts. Those traps getting me, which was my main problem, but first time i made it all the way through without dying I got the achievement.

I'm now on track for the 1250/1250. I still need to play Beneath the Ashes.

On the second speed run here is a tip for the pistons. Use shadow power when above (or below) the pistons. When in shadow force the pistons slow down. As soon as the piston that is against the wall is finished rotating drop or jump but you have to do it just as it stops it will look close but i got past the pistons most of the time after finding this out.

• 3 weeks later...
For those still needing clarification of where the 2nd speed run starts. It's not as it was listed in a later post (the one that has the pics). An earlier post had it right. just just in case [like me] you missed it, I'll clearify it here again.

It's from the top of the refinery, on the ledge. The part after you have climbed up the moving piston to the top of another one just like it, then to a pillar then to the ledge. When you land on it move to the left (not to the right through the doorway). You'll hear the check point chime. Save there. The Speed run starts from the second you pass the glowing blue archway / doorway into the hall. You'll keep going through the entire corridor up until you hit the slope. The achievement will trigger (if you nailed it) once you hit the floor after you drop from the slope.

As far as the time it takes. I shadow ran pretty much everything, I took a few seconds before going into the crushing spiked walls to get my timing right, and did that once again, in the middle of it. As far as the conveyor belt of platforms, I made sure I had my shadow run meter charge and held it down just before I jumped in, only releasing when I wasn't in the line of fire, and on a solid set of platforms to run on.

(hope this helps as a previous post said that the Speed run started at the bottom of the refinery, which I now found to be wrong, after wasting a lot of try trying to make it one solid run)

Pics to follow of start and end point if needed.

First speed run achievement - second time through the refinary, after the cutscene when you "un-do" what you just did. Save on the ledge BEFORE you step down to the slope and slide. Shadow run -and suicide jump as posted in pictures.

Second speed run achievement - you will shadow run up 2 turning pillars / transformers, when you reach the top and jump to the platform. Save here and approach the tunnel. Time trial starts when you pass the blue wall on entering. No tricks, just time your shadow runs on the pistons and wall.

I attempted these last night, but after reading the forums, its gonna be another long night.

Alias DJA

• 5 weeks later...

And the end :

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9813/lara2d.jpg

(From here, just jump to the right. You'll die but the achievement will unlock)

Wow, I tried about a dozen times and was about to give up until I saw this, then did it first time - cheers!

Edit: Just completed the second one as well. I thought it was a lot fairer on the player and the challenge is getting through the section without getting killed rathern than how fast you're going.

100% on all three Tomb Raiders (Including DLC) :D

Edited by Chojin

uhh i just got the 1st speed run the refinery one by the suicide strategy and it took me 4ever!!

the 2nd one i am not so happy to do even when im not times the gear things mess me up and yes i do use shadow power but it still takes me 4ever!!

im wondering is this a timed run or is it just a do-it-without-dying type thing? i would prefer the w/o dying one lol

• 4 weeks later...

First run... evil. Managed to do it legit five times and I swear to God and all that is holy that I missed it by a fraction of a second. So I said, "what the hell" and did the suicide dive. First try.

Second run... evil to the nth degree, gorramit. Thirty some tries to get it. Second time I made it to the platforms I got it. Word of advice to those trying it... do not keep reloading when you die. Seeing as it takes you back to the checkpoint before the bridge you will spend so much time reloading and doing the lifts over and over. I decided to do this after about 25 tries and got it soon after.

From where you die, go through it to the end then reload. Next time maybe you'll die later, keep going through it to the end again. Reload. Rinse and repeat until you have the timing down and know the traps.

Worked for me... maybe it will work for you.

All I can say about my new achievement... shiny.

• 3 weeks later...

Im thinking the game doesnt let you get the achievement if you progress into the story and save after the achievement point.

Because I saved right at the end, went back and tried the second run, I did a flawless run didnt stop for 1 second, every moment I wasnt using shadow i was jumping/rolling.

Everyone says you have plently of time, well I did it as fast as you can imagine and still nothing.

Okay I think I know what the problem is. Im supposed to be doing this on the second run through the refinery.

Edited by aussiestatic

• 4 weeks later...

I used this video for reference and i saved a bit before were lara starts in the video, my purpose was to train cause I've been hearing rumors that if you die in the middle of the trial you had to rerun the hole thing again, but during my training i completed that segment without dying and I got the achievement.

My point is just save a bit further back from were lara in the video starts if you die reload it and you should be just fine.

There's a catch dough you have to be as fast as the guy from the video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2gfaIU8PM]YouTube - Lara's Shadow *speedrun* Achievement Guide[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

okay ive read in loads of threads that the refinary achiev is on the second time your at refinary but... a video on youtube with someone getting this achiev it is clearly on the first run through(there are no etr balls or moving stone snake heads).....

im confused... can someone please confirm wether its the first or second time at refinary...

edit: nevermind just got the achiev... oh and i got it on the first visit to refinary

Edited by Machew8472

I found the first speed run quite easy and used the suicide trick to get the achievement.

I really struggled with the second run, I died well over 20 times to the pistons, specially the third one which was so fast I couldn't get my timing right. It wasn't until I started jumping to get past it that I was able to eventually finish the run.

I can confirm that you can save the game after the chime you hear upon entering the tunnel. It is marked out by a grey stone outline with lettering on it. If you save there it reloads you into the tunnel when you load the game and it was from here that I was able to finish the run and get the achievement.

Good Luck all, this one was a pain!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its may 2010 and i can confirm this achievement glitch was not fixed with the updates, just make sure you save at the checkpoint before the two floating platforms you have to jump onto, and remember this is the second time you enter this room.

I finally unlocked the first speedrun achievement thanks to your tips 0/

Here is the start :

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9549/lara1t.jpg

(The slope is just 2 steps ahead)

And the end :

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9813/lara2d.jpg

(From here, just jump to the right. You'll die but the achievement will unlock)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally got them yesterday, first one wasn't bad though I had to do it about 5 times to register....second one was bad, I saved on top of the platform and it took about 10 tries to get through only I didnt get the achievement. Did it 4 more times and still didn't pop.

Luckily I had a save from slightly before at the pillars and got it done finally....I had to do that twice for it to register too.