Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U!?!?

ShadowSonic85

Ok this is something I didn't see coming when I saw Nintendo's presentation yesterday.

From what I saw Mass Effect 3 is coming to the Wii U and when the game was shown on the 3rd party games montage there was a huge applause from the crowd.

Though it's suprising to see this hitting a Nintendo console. I thought it was supposed to stay on the 360 and go to the PS3 to give the PS players a go at the game.

I know you all are 360 people who play Mass Effect 3 but do you think this was smart move? I normally don't pay attention to Nintendo's part of E3 unless something big is coming (like the Wii U...which since ME3 is coming I might just get it so I can play it on the go)

I don't really care, since I'm not planning in getting a Wii U and I'll stick to my XBox 360/Playstation 3 until the release of Xbox 720. Maybe it's good idea to release ME3 on Wii U, because more money for BioWare means they will have a higher budget for following titles. But Mass Effect 3 isn't the only game where a release is quite surprising.Dark Siders 2, Batman: Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden 3 or Assassine's Creed 3 to mention a few.

like the Wii U...which since ME3 is coming I might just get it so I can play it on the go

What do you mean by, "on the go"?

The Wii U console just streams the video to the Wii U Gamepad and I don't think that will be supported on every game. I am guessing the video stream will only work at the maximum 30ft away from the console.

Big games on nintendo suck. There meant for games like pokemon, zelda ect not blockbusters. Why would anyone want to play me3 on wii when then can on xbox is beyond me

What the hell am I reading? Firstly games like Pokemon and Zelda are blockbusters (they'll outhype and outsell Mass Effect any day every day). Secondly if you look back a whopping one generation, you'll see/remember that the Gamecube was a bigger console than the Xbox, selling more systems and having tons more big titles; and before that, Nintendo was the video game company while Microsoft wasn't even in the game.

Nintendo is not the bastard child of video game consoles, there is no reason whatsoever big titles shouldn't be on the Wii U.

Edited by Veedrock

For EA, I think it is a good move. The more places they can port a game, the more money they make. Simple business 101.

Horrible for Xbox. They keep losing exclusive IPs and the more systems that play the high end titles, the less likely they are going to keep people convinced they need an Xbox.

Horrible for Xbox. They keep losing exclusive IPs and the more systems that play the high end titles, the less likely they are going to keep people convinced they need an Xbox.

What IP is the Xbox losing to the Wii U exactly? Mass Effect hasn't been exclusive since 1 and that got ported to the PC, did you not notice until this announcement?

Edited by Veedrock

For EA, I think it is a good move. The more places they can port a game, the more money they make. Simple business 101.

Yeah right because Mass Effect is really exclusive, that's why it's on PC and PS3.

Yeah right because Mass Effect is really exclusive, that's why it's on PC and PS3.

What I was trying to say, is that if the Wii U is going to handle games like Mass Effect 3, Nintendo is going to more of a competitor all around opposed to just cornering the casual market. People will need a reason to buy an Xbox or Xbox titles. It's not doing anything to set it apart and it has a scant number of exclusive IPs to pull them in. The only ones talked at E3 were Halo, Gears of War, and Forza. PCs I never saw as competitors, they are like 3DS and Vitas for Microsoft. When it was just PS3 games were taking away from Xbox, it was one thing because there were flaws to both systems, especially after the PSN problem. But if nintendo is going to back stronger into the 'core games, Xbox really has nothing to stop them from taking players.

What I was trying to say, is that if the Wii U is going to handle games like Mass Effect 3, Nintendo is going to more of a competitor all around opposed to just cornering the casual market. People will need a reason to buy an Xbox or Xbox titles. It's not doing anything to set it apart and it has a scant number of exclusive IPs to pull them in. The only ones talked at E3 were Halo, Gears of War, and Forza. PCs I never saw as competitors, they are like 3DS and Vitas for Microsoft. When it was just PS3 games were taking away from Xbox, it was one thing because there were flaws to both systems, especially after the PSN problem. But if nintendo is going to back stronger into the 'core games, Xbox really has nothing to stop them from taking players.

Couple of counterpoints I'd like to make.

1) Nintendo will be behind again next year. While the WiiU will be able to "handle" games like ME3, it certainly won't be able to handle stuff that the next Xbox/PS4 will. Once again, they'll have Nintendo 1st party titles and shoddy ports/old games. (They showed off Batman:AC during their press conference. I beat that game 8 months ago.)

2) If a game is PC/"X Platform", it might as well be an exclusive for that platform since for most titles, the console has the bigger market share than PC enthusiasts.

3) Nintendo has lost their edge, and it doesn't seem to understand how to get it back. They had THREE conferences at E3, and delivered ZERO surprises that are relevant to the Nintendo hardcore (No new Mario/Zelda/Star Fox/Metroid/Smash Bros/Mario Kart, etc.) All three conferences were terrible, but Nintendo was announcing new hardware. They should have been able to clean the floor with Sony/MS, and the most exciting game for WiiU is ZombiU, which has already been stated to possibly work on other systems due to the Vita/SmartGlass.

Nintendo will continue to sell their consoles to Nintendo fans, and that's about it. The Wii was lightning in a bottle, and I doubt people will fall for that twice. Their upper management in Japan just doesn't stay up to date on what consumers want anymore. Nintendo is a dying company that needs to turn itself around. The Wii stuffed its coffers with cash but they can't live off that forever.

I'm not worried about it on wii-u it'll have been out for months when it's released on wii, so everyone will have played it and they'll likely sell 2 copies, nd Nintendo may have been the big console company, but now, they suck bad, one of their games are ever recievedwell, they're boring. Shovel ware, Nintendo needs to die out now as when the next generation of consoles are released, they'll be behind again and their sales will drop massively, while I stand cheering. I have a wii, I NeVER play it now as every game released is trash

What makes you think their sales will drop? The Wii may not have the same kind of library as the Xbox and PS3 but it has still outsold both systems by a long shot, despite being the last console to come out!

Xbox: 67 million units sold

PS3: 63 million units sold

Wii: 96 million units sold

Why will that be any different next generation? Because you say so or...? And let's not even get into the handheld market, which Nintendo practically owns. If you consider that and really think that they're just going to vanish, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Veedrock

Why will that be any different next generation? Because you say so or...? And let's not even get into the handheld market, which Nintendo practically owns. If you consider that and really think that they're just going to vanish, I don't know what to tell you.

Xavior briefly covered it, but I'll elaborate. The Wii was an unstoppable hype train that got tons of people on board, but that was for clear reasons. It was cheap, had a flashy gimmick and was marketed to a much wider audience. The Wii U is completely different. Is it going to be cheap? Unlikely, unless they sell it at a massive loss. Does it have a gimmick to attract the whole family? I suppose you could say the controller, but that's in no way as appealing as motion controls. Lastly, Nintendo seems to be refocusing on core gamers, but it's a bit late for that. Sure, there are plenty of die-hard Nintendo fans, but many of us have already written them off because they weren't marketing to us any longer. It also doesn't help that many of the games they're showing off are 8-month old ports.

Obviously, Nintendo is not going to vanish, but it seems clear to me that the Wii U is not going to be a resounding success like the Wii was. Why do you think Nintendo's stock fell to a 5-year low immediately after the announcement?

Edited by PoMoGub

What the hell am I reading? Firstly games like Pokemon and Zelda are blockbusters (they'll outhype and outsell Mass Effect any day every day). Secondly if you look back a whopping one generation, you'll see/remember that the Gamecube was a bigger console than the Xbox, selling more systems and having tons more big titles; and before that, Nintendo was the video game company while Microsoft wasn't even in the game.

Nintendo is not the bastard child of video game consoles, there is no reason whatsoever big titles shouldn't be on the Wii U.

False. The xbox outsold the gamecube worldwide.

I really don't understand why Mass Effect 3 is coming to Wii U. Why bring only the third game of a trilogy to Wii U? At the very least bundle it with Mass Effect 2 so Nintendo fans can have the same experience as PS3 gamers. Seems like a really bizarre move but I guess EA is just trying to make as much money as they can with a game that's already finished.

What makes you think their sales will drop? The Wii may not have the same kind of library as the Xbox and PS3 but it has still outsold both systems by a long shot, despite being the last console to come out!

Xbox: 67 million units sold

PS3: 63 million units sold

Wii: 96 million units sold

Nintendo, as stated before, caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. It had a huge following for 3-4 years, then had a huge crash. The 3DS was released and had a price drop within 4 months, after which it had the 3DS selling at a loss, which is something Nintendo never does. This year was the first time since 1984 (some time around then) that Nintendo has posted an operating loss. They are in trouble right now if they don't start keeping up with the competition.

They've got a lot of money right now thanks to the Wii's good years, but they'll run out of that if they don't start a profitable business model soon. They were the one company that had a new system to show off at E3, so it shouldnt take a lot for them to have swept the show, ESPECIALLY considering all three conferences were relatively weak (Personally I think Ubisoft won E3). They failed to deliver anything really exciting or tell people why they should buy a WiiU (other than ZombiU, which does look really good).

Last point of fact, Nintendo doesn't own the handheld market, Apple does (and they're not even trying for it). People just don't want to carry around multiple devices anymore. They'd much rather have a gaming device/phone/mp3 player/internet device/personal assistant in one device.

To sum it up, Nintendo is in trouble next gen, and it's probably due to their upper management. They are very slow to adopt good ideas that aren't theirs, and they're not keeping up with changing market conditions.

Nintendo, as stated before, caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. It had a huge following for 3-4 years, then had a huge crash. The 3DS was released and had a price drop within 4 months, after which it had the 3DS selling at a loss, which is something Nintendo never does. This year was the first time since 1984 (some time around then) that Nintendo has posted an operating loss. They are in trouble right now if they don't start keeping up with the competition.

They've got a lot of money right now thanks to the Wii's good years, but they'll run out of that if they don't start a profitable business model soon. They were the one company that had a new system to show off at E3, so it shouldnt take a lot for them to have swept the show, ESPECIALLY considering all three conferences were relatively weak (Personally I think Ubisoft won E3). They failed to deliver anything really exciting or tell people why they should buy a WiiU (other than ZombiU, which does look really good).

Last point of fact, Nintendo doesn't own the handheld market, Apple does (and they're not even trying for it). People just don't want to carry around multiple devices anymore. They'd much rather have a gaming device/phone/mp3 player/internet device/personal assistant in one device.

To sum it up, Nintendo is in trouble next gen, and it's probably due to their upper management. They are very slow to adopt good ideas that aren't theirs, and they're not keeping up with changing market conditions.

Most companies steal outright or mimic their ideas more so sony than microsoft but you wouldnt have kinect or smart glass with out nintendo influence.

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo is good for two things in the year 2012:

1. Nostalgia.

2. Handheld gaming.

The Wii-U looks like shit. The name of the console is terrible, the thing is ugly as hell, and that tablet/controller looks like it will be excellent to play shovelware with for seventeen minutes before I start fiending for a real controller. Oh, and the online friend code exchange making a return is another brilliant move. It reminds me of when the Wii released and Nintendo claimed it wasn't in HD because they didn't believe that many people would be buying HD televisions. They probably still don't believe that online multiplayer is appealing to folks either. Time to grow up Nintendo.

Nah. Xbox is by far the superior console now. There really is no need for a ps3 at all and wii's are only there for zelda and the fun family stuff which kinect can provide.

To be honest, I bitched when they announced ME2 for the PS3. Not because they were getting ME2, but because it made no sense playing 2 when they never even played 1 or got to make all of the game-altering choices. It made no sense for this, of all series, to be ported to another console mid-series.

Sadly, however, given the nature of ME3 and their blatant neglect of every decision you made in the first 2 games influencing the overall final outcome of ME3, I don't see why not. Might as well give the Wii U ME3 because they'll still be getting the full experience that we got. I would have a bigger attitude problem if they announced ME2 for the Wii U than I would ME3. ME1 was the flawed, but nostalgia-driven original and ME2 was the best in the series hands down. They belong together and it's a crime to have one and not the other. ME3, fun as it was, just doesn't compare.

Sadly, however, given the nature of ME3 and their blatant neglect of every decision you made in the first 2 games influencing the overall final outcome of ME3, I don't see why not. Might as well give the Wii U ME3 because they'll still be getting the full experience that we got. I would have a bigger attitude problem if they announced ME2 for the Wii U than I would ME3. ME1 was the flawed, but nostalgia-driven original and ME2 was the best in the series hands down. They belong together and it's a crime to have one and not the other. ME3, fun as it was, just doesn't compare.

My friend started playing ME3 with no saved game and it is really built to not need the other 2 games. You can also make the game have no decisions and go full cutscene mode.

I would have a bigger attitude problem if they announced ME2 for the Wii U than I would ME3. ME1 was the flawed, but nostalgia-driven original and ME2 was the best in the series hands down. They belong together and it's a crime to have one and not the other. ME3, fun as it was, just doesn't compare.

Maybe because it was the first but i’ve always felt ME1 was the best. I was disappointed with ME2 despite Bioware fixing the flaws in ME1. I still believe everyone needs to play ME1 to experience the true Mass Effect. Although i do agree with ME2 and ME3 being closer together.

I wonder if Nintendo will add their own ending, “Sorry Shepard, the reapers are in another castle.”:p:p:p:p:p