As Bad As They Say?

Im just wondering but is this game as bad as they say. I played it for about an hour when it first came out but had other games to play that weren't as difficult. But now I want to pick this game up again but professional reviews are horrible while there are quite a few good personal reviews out there. Any personal reviews here that ya'll are willing to give?

• 4 weeks later...

Early impressions from my first night of rental is:

Cheap, but not horrible. For $10, $15 it might be worth it. Or as a rental. Just don't set your hopes high. Kind of reminds me of EDF; somewhat solid game mechanics except for a problematic camera (learn to click the right stick to recenter), okay graphics, mediocre storyline. It's basically a playable version of a B movie. Not bad, just mediocre.

Apparently, there's a lot of moaning and groaning about most of the achievements. Part of the problem seems to relate to the 'Cool Combo' system, which is basically timing your button presses correctly for an added bonus. Special enemies and a few achieves apparently require this to be done well, so if you aren't good with rhythm (especially hidden, non-displayed ones), this could be a pain to 1K. Alternatively, if you're not for total completion and you don't mind a cheap romp, you might want to give it a try.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was a fun little no brainer of a game. I didn't mind how repetitive it became. If you like hack and slash cheesy stuff then you may enjoy this!

I really enjoyed how basic it was, I got it on release date and it was very cheap. The achievements are quite difficult and no explained very well at all, I only got about 470G with A LOT of hours game play!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I love it. But I have a sense of humor, I don't take games too seriously, and I'm able to enjoy games that aren't "AAA" titles. I'm also old enough to have been around when there wasn't a video game industry as it exists today. Games were a diversion, and there weren't websites, magazines, and tv shows telling consumers what they were allowed to like if they really were a "gamer."

Is it repetitive? Yeah, of course. But so are Halo and Call of Duty, and you don't see that stopping people from playing that hours on end, do you?

It's pretty fast paced and fluid, which is exactly what you want in a hack & slash game. I played Samurai Warriors 2 a bit last week after playing Onechanbara, and it felt really slow.

Many of the achievement seeking crowd gripe because the achievements aren't story based, and so they just give up on it. Truth be told, other than two or three of the more difficult ones, most of the achievements are easily farmed once you know what they are and how to get them.

There's also a free illustrated PDF guide with full walkthrough, tips & tricks, and achievement guide available on the publisher's website (D3 publisher).

• 2 months later...

Honestly I think that the game's biggest problem is with the manual. Without the guide that CosmonautCowboy mentioned, most people won't understand Cool Combos and the myriad of hidden moves and inputs. The practice mode is actually very good, but it still doesn't explain what the bars mean and make no sense unless you're a fighting game fan and understand frame data. There's a surprising amount of depth to the game, but unfortunately you have to go looking on the internet to find it.

Ultimately this doesn't change the lackluster presentation and the beat-'em-up-quality story, but I don't think that matters as much when the gameplay feels right. I'll keep singing this series' praises, even if I'm the only one.

It's just a basic spectacle fighter with the novelty of lightly dressed female characters, although I am impressed that a bikini can offer the same kind of protection Chuck Greene and Frank West have.

You know what? I actually like that the game's lore explains the characters' ridiculous outfits. These are superpowered women who gain strength when blood makes contact with their skin...So why not wear a bikini? More skin showing means more blood makes contact, and they become more powerful as a result.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...