Meta-Games: Tips, Discussion and Help Thread

The Pants Party

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I don't know if anyone is having problems with these achievements but I played solo last night on crows nest, turned on the Mystic skull and scoring set to 'free-for-all' I got 18000 points by the end and never got the achievement. Then I tried with 2 friends and set the scoring to 'Team' with Mystic on again, we accumulated just over 16k points, still no achievement, anyone else having these problems?

Also the coop over Live is REALLY laggy for my friends and I, anyone getting that too?

Yeah, same here. Not getting the meta-game achievements in solo or co-op(team or ffa) I believe the lag is because of SO many players on just Halo 3. :)

I have an idea, not sure if it would work though. The simplest way I've found to do this is on co-op normal difficulty with the Iron, thunderstorm, and fog skulls turned on (Mythic can be thrown in). Now on co-op, with iron you won't start from the beginning of the level, only from the last checkpoint; but, it resets if either you or any of your partners die. What I did was kill all enemies I came across, while my friend sat back until I broke the score requirement.

Now, I'm not sure if this works in local co-op, but if it does, it would be extremely similar to playing normal on solo, save for the split screen. With all of the skull multipliers you should be able to break the score limit with a bit of elbow room, even if your timer multiplier goes to 1x. Granted, this won't get you record scores, but it should be enough for the achievements.

Edit: tested this out, it works beautifully. It may be oversimplifying it, but it could help those having trouble.

I found something screwey with the scoring in the meta-game that makes these achievements a LOT easier.

The way the game calculates scoring on each monster is a bit screwey. It seems to add up all of the medal bonuses you get as a multiplier, instead of using them independently. So what happens is if you get two medals at once you end up getting a 2.5x bonus, not a 1.56x bonus as you would get if it used them independently.

This makes the plasma pistol+headshot combination worth a ton of points, and also makes the goal much easier as whatever health bonuses enemies get do not apply to plasma vs. shields or headshots vs. unarmored opponents. So you can turn on a bunch of skulls, still be able to take out brutes with one plasma shot and one battle rifle/carbine round, kill them as if it was nothing, and score a ton of points.

Does anyone have any good tips for beating the meta game levels where you fight the Covenant? The remaining levels that I need to complete are Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Ark and the Covenant. It's damn hard because Covenant has so many vehicles that cause you to die hundred times and your points get severely depleted. I play on Normal, using two to three skulls, Fog and some others.

I was doing this ealier and we were doing legendary on 4 player co op with thunderstorm and/or famine and at least one or two people got the meta game for every level so i am going to go heroic 2 player co op with my bro and use both skulls and i expect to finish with at least a x2 for the time so i expect for both of us to get the achievement for every level

and a tip for the flood levels try not to kill the little guys so that they infect the bodys so you can get extra points also you can find parts of the level that will continue to spawn the big exploding ones and you can use those for extra points

also an easy way to kill the all of the different flood forms is to use the plasma rifle i like to duel wield them and have at least one person doing melee with a sword/brute shot/hammer to back me up

I have an idea, not sure if it would work though. The simplest way I've found to do this is on co-op normal difficulty with the Iron, thunderstorm, and fog skulls turned on (Mythic can be thrown in). Now on co-op, with iron you won't start from the beginning of the level, only from the last checkpoint; but, it resets if either you or any of your partners die. What I did was kill all enemies I came across, while my friend sat back until I broke the score requirement.

Now, I'm not sure if this works in local co-op, but if it does, it would be extremely similar to playing normal on solo, save for the split screen. With all of the skull multipliers you should be able to break the score limit with a bit of elbow room, even if your timer multiplier goes to 1x. Granted, this won't get you record scores, but it should be enough for the achievements.

Edit: tested this out, it works beautifully. It may be oversimplifying it, but it could help those having trouble.

So, you just turn on some skulls and set it up split-screen co-op? and just have the 2nd player there for respawns if you die?

If so what skulls/diff?

So, you just turn on some skulls and set it up split-screen co-op? and just have the 2nd player there for respawns if you die?

If so what skulls/diff?

Correct. Skulls/diff are listed in the first paragraph. They are Iron, Fog, and Thunderstorm, on normal difficulty. Theres a couple of places where you may need to protect the 2nd controller at a specific part (mission 8 at the beginning comes to mind), but otherwise it's as if they aren't even there. I don't think it matters, but I had it on free for all scoring.

Correct. Skulls/diff are listed in the first paragraph. They are Iron, Fog, and Thunderstorm, on normal difficulty. Theres a couple of places where you may need to protect the 2nd controller at a specific part (mission 8 at the beginning comes to mind), but otherwise it's as if they aren't even there. I don't think it matters, but I had it on free for all scoring.

Cool :) Thanks for the tip, will give this a go later.

Edit:

Thanks that worked like a charm on the 3rd level :) got 30k+ guess I'll continue tomorrow :)

Here is what i did that worked for me to get all the meta-score achievements.

I played all the levels on solo-normal and turned on 6 gold skulls and 1 silver skull.

the skulls are: Tough Luck, Catch, Fog, Famine, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Cowbell(silver).

for me, cowbell increases the radius of the explosions i think, because whenever i throw a grenade, the explosion seems much more violent.

anyways, the fact that you have Tough Luck on (enemies dive out of the way of grenades) cancels out with Cowbell because the explosions are large enough to catch them anyways, so when they die, they drop more grenades thanks to Catch. Another thing i noticed is that thanks to Catch, enemies stop for a while to throw grenades, giving you an opportunity to stick them with a grenade of your own or pop in a head-shot.

with Tilt just remember that brutes are semi-immune to ballistic weapons with their armor on, so have a plasma weapon handy. some flood are immune to plasma, but i dont remember which ones.

i did turn off Famine for the last two levels though, but thats because i hate those levels and i knew there were enough enemies to get the points

what are the best 2 skulls to have on to get the 15k on heroic?

In my opinion, Fog is an easy 1.5x, (you really don't need your radar in campaign), Thunderstorm (1.5x) and Mythic (2.0x) upgrade enemies and give 'em 200% health but they are still managable. Catch (1.5x) works really well for some extra bonus on the Flood based levels (they don't throw nades, so here's some free points.) :)

I would really avoid Iron, Famine, Tilt, and Tough Luck. Iron makes you restart the level if you are playing by yourself (trust me, you will die at some point and restarting once near the end is a nightmare), Famine makes weapon drops practically useless (you'll need a little extra ammo with Thunderstorm and Mythic turned on so avoid this one if they are turned on), Tilt makes enemies immune to some weapons (can make some of the Chieftian battles a real pain), and Tough Luck prevents you from killing most enemies with grenades (they dive out of the way pretty effectively).

At any rate, you can easily roll Normal, by yourself, with those skulls turned on (and any silver skulls you want) and break 20k fairly easily. It's a little tight on the last level but, try and get some splats in and you'll do fine. Any enemies the Arbiter guns down while you are driving the hog count towards your points as well.

I think that the hardest part of playing the Metagame is the negative points you get when you die. You don't seem to care or notice during normal campaign, but once you keep seeing your score tank, it's a real eye opener. :> Try and find that balance between what is "doable" for you as a player versus how many skulls you turn on. Having a 16x combo for every kill is fantastic, but only if you can manage to stay alive. Every time you die you revert to the last checkpoint, lose any points you accrued, PLUS take a negative point hit for the death itself. So, keep working until you find a combo that works for you.

I did the Ark and Covenant with 6 skulls (Tough Luck, Catch, Fog, Famine, Thunderstorm and Mythic) activated on normal by myself and got more than enough points. On the Ark I got over 80.000. So you can do them all on normal as well. Only need Cortana and Halo now.

Where can I find the meta-games?

when in campaign pre-game screen *when setting uo the game)

hit the x button, and change the top to individuall scoring, and add skulls for multiplyers as wanted. then just start your game. there will be a score on the bottom right of your screen. each level requires a different amount (either 15k or 50K) review the achievements thread to find out what you have to get in each.

When in the campain menu press X to find the meta game menu.

Also the required points for each level is 15000 for an acheivment.

Dont know if the points vary between levels.

Thanks, I was lost also on how to even find them??

Much Appreciated!