Still Alive?

lonesquiff

A friend and I started talking about FFXI on a lark the other day as we were both working to finish up the last Phantasy Star Universe achievement. While neither one of us can conceive ever completing FFXI we thought it'd be fun to play.

My question is two fold.

1) While I see that the servers are still running, has there been any word of them shutting down? I'd heard FFIV was on its way out. I'd hate to start this up only to find it is shutting down.

2) Does anyone on here still play? Are there any active linkshells recommended?

Any input is appreciated.

So far i haven't heard anything about the servers shutting down, some servers like mine still have a lot of people playing. SE just released a 12 month road map of new content and updates to come http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/4937.

They are merging some of the dead servers with more popular ones to keep the game going, we have like 4k ppl daily on Asura but we also have a ton of d-bags and I wouldn't really worry about XIV because most of the XI players that went to play XIV have already returned lol.

No prob, linkshell wise, it's prolly best to look for one after you get on the server. Their are tons of social LS's and some end game ones, end game LS's require you to have a lot of free time and multiple high level jobs. You will more then likely end up getting into a friendly social linkshell that helps out and answers questions as you EXP normally.

I can't really comment on the servers to much as the only two I've ever been on are Ramuh and Asura and from what i hear Ramuh is getting merged into Bahamut some time this month or early next.

• 2 weeks later...

I play on Cerberus and the community there is generally helpful. My linkshell caters to the lower level, and there are plenty more like mine on this server, too.

FF14 isn't going away. It's staying f2p until it becomes a game people will want to pay for. I call it retail beta =P. But FF11 servers should not see any closings any time soon. Merges are coming, but they are making way too many changes and additions to the game for the rest of the year to shit the game down in the next 5, imo

EDIT: SHUT the game down. Freaken Windows phone keyboard.

Edited by theheroslegend
phone cursing.

This is good news indeed. I'm an experienced mmo player with ultima online, everquest, daoc, and WoW under my belt. I haven't played an mmo in years though and I think I might get into FF xi. Thing is, once I start it I refuse to stop until I get all 1250 gs and spend a few months to a year in an end game linkshell. It's nice to hear this game still has some legs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
played this for 3 years on the pc when it came out, there are far better games out there now imo.

Absolutely!

But for a 10-year-old game, it still holds up pretty well. Some people might be interested to try it out, and I personally don't blame them. If they can get into it, it's probably one of the best stories in an RPG on the 360, imo.