So how did you name your soldiers?

J4ckyb0y1

Wow, I barely remember that film. I'll probably have to have a Crystal Unger for no other reason than nostalgia. For some reason, in the original game I'd always have a Crystal Unger every time I start a new game.

No idea who Crystal Unger is...

I think I'll do the cast of Team America: World Police for my next game :)

I just leave the names as the game issues them. They usually fit just fine.

My crazy assault shotgunner who rushes in to take down Sectopods in a blaze of alloy cannon shrapnel? "Gonzo"

My deadeye sniper who crits for 19 damage? "Garotte".

My bullet swarm heavy? "Doomsday".

My fast-as-lightning medic? "Pox".

My assault who took Flush instead of Rapid Fire? "Mad man" (yeah, what was HE thinking?!)

I'm loving these nicknames!

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't renamed soldiers yet, but I had one rookie named Mordecai. When he got promoted to squaddie he was made a sniper :p

That's a great coincidence! No Bloodwing though. :(

I named my snipers, Garrus Vakarian and Thane Krios. All my squad are ME2 themed so far. Too bad Legion has no last name....

• 1 month later...

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1462/imag0448g.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1453/imag0449l.jpg

Yeah, Vorsprung Durch Techdick isn't really a famous dildo, but options I was getting from Amazon's best-selling dildo list were running thin (Ready Ryan? LAME) so I just tried to think of things/phrases tied to nationality and insert (~!) a dick or vag pun into them.

Andy Farrant (Of all the fucking people) and Lusty Leo Tolstoy were the only 2 left standing by the end of my first play session. When I fired it back up I realised a game released in 2012 didn't have Auto-Save as a default. Oh Well. RIP Wave 1.

Ooooh, the INSPIRATION from this thread. Next time I'll name them after other super-suited shooter dudes from already established franchises. That's genius.

• 2 weeks later...
Marcus Fenix 'Rising' - Sniper

Dominic Santiago 'Dom' - Support

Augustus Cole 'Train' - Assault

Damon Baird 'Boomer' - Heavy

Delta Squad is in the XCOM house!

I did the same thing with my second playthrough, naming everyone after someone in Gears of War (1st playthrough was people I know, including my kids... which was weird having my daughter killing aliens with a Plasma Rifle). I nicknamed Baird "Blondie" though, like Bernie Mataki was always calling him. Too funny!

Not so funny is that Damon and Jake Stratton ended up being my Psionic warriors... look out world, you do not want Baird wielding that kind of power :-)

EDIT (1/22): ...And for my Impossible run I am using characters from Mario Bros (though strange enough, Mario and Luigi have not made the cut so far) ...because of the insistence of my children :-). Don't worry the kids are not watching or playing, just naming. Having Princess Peach face-shot a Muton Berserker with her Alloy Cannon is just odd.

Edited by BrinkX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The origin of mine will be pretty obvious. :)

Assault

John-117 "Chief"

Kelly-087

Adriana-111

William-043

Heavy

Fred-104

Samuel-035

Jai-006

Alice-130

Sniper

Linda-058

Jerome-092

Victor-101

Cal-141

Support

Kurt-051

Fhajad-084

Mike-120

Maria-062

And three guesses as to who was "lucky" enough to be the first one to be psionically gifted... Of course it was JOHN! :D

I actually have more Spartans assigned to each role, but these are just in my current game.

• 4 weeks later...