Galaxy At War TIED to online pass?

demi

Hi,

I've been enjoying this game, but I have a question and I hope anyone can shed some light on.

I have this rented from GameFly.

I do NOT have an online pass.

I read the guide, and it stated that I can still jack up the Galaxy At War percentage using the iOS Datapad, or Infiltrator.

On my Datapad, I have Galaxy At War to 80 some percent, and can easily increase it to 100.

The issue is that my Galaxy At War is always "System Offline" - and obviously this doesn't help me any to getting these achievements.

I've tried the solutions provided by BioWare (linking profile, making a persona) -- and while this WORKS, I can see the correct percentage on the website, it still doesnt show my Galaxy At War in the game.

My question is - does the Galaxy At War only work for an online pass PERIOD? Can anyone who DID NOT use a pass say they got their Galaxy At War to work correctly on the ship? NOT multiplayer.

It can't be an issue with my Gamertag, as I've received my Reckoner Armor just fine. So EA is communicating to my profile just fine.

I'm not looking for a fix, I am doing research on why it could be broken, and hoping for someone with my criteria who can comment.

I feel the Galaxy At War only works with an online pass, so I want to find someone who did not use an online pass, but could use Galaxy At War.

By logic, this is the only solution, and may have to buy a pass after all.

I'm not looking for a fix, I am doing research on why it could be broken, and hoping for someone with my criteria who can comment.

I feel the Galaxy At War only works with an online pass, so I want to find someone who did not use an online pass, but could use Galaxy At War.

By logic, this is the only solution, and may have to buy a pass after all.

Ah, i see.

i tried to do this when i first played the game (borrowed) - unsuccessfully. eventually i bought the game new (below retail) a month+ after it released. i thought you needed the actual online pass card that came in the package, but in fact you can buy the online pass via xbl marketplace for 800msp ($10).

the only way your xbox/me3 game can communicate with the ea servers is with an online pass. so you can play the ios games and link that to your ea/origin account to increase your readiness on the bioware website. but in order for that info to transfer to your xbox (to get the achievements), your xbox needs to connect to ea servers (via online pass).

you do need an xbl gold account to increase your gr through multiplayer mode (i used the 2 day trial pass that came in the me3 package). i did get hooked on the item collecting in multiplayer mode, and ended up playing it a lot more than i really should have.

Edited by chiapet

I guess it's safe to assume it is tied to the pass. I guess I will be out those two achievements, then.

i was planning on the same at first, but the completionist in me couldn't let these 2 easy cheevos block me from 100%ing the game (and streak of completed mass effect games). i guess you have to decide if it's worth 10 bucks to you :p.

I bought a pass off someone for $4 and as expected the galaxy at war works just fine. You dont need to touch multi for defender, as you can grind the datapad, but you cannot recieve those two achievements without a pass. Which is a bit of a kick in the junk considering all the "do this OR this" achievements. Hopefully this helps anyone else curious or googles their way here.

I bought a pass off someone for $4 and as expected the galaxy at war works just fine. You dont need to touch multi for defender, as you can grind the datapad, but you cannot recieve those two achievements without a pass. Which is a bit of a kick in the junk considering all the "do this OR this" achievements. Hopefully this helps anyone else curious or googles their way here.

And Datapad is still iOs only isn't it? :(

And Datapad is still iOs only isn't it? :(

that is (currently) correct.

i'm 37.000 credits away to get the final upgrade in it. this should give 3% readiness for each station. though, i rather play mp for readiness then using the datapad. it's pretty boring and to get big credits to get the upgrade that help you getting better readiness point, you have to invest A LOT of time.

since it's tied to the online pass, just play mp... it's way more fun :)

that is (currently) correct.

i'm 37.000 credits away to get the final upgrade in it. this should give 3% readiness for each station. though, i rather play mp for readiness then using the datapad. it's pretty boring and to get big credits to get the upgrade that help you getting better readiness point, you have to invest A LOT of time.

since it's tied to the online pass, just play mp... it's way more fun :)

I'm not what you would call a fan of the MP, and I have ton of hours at work to burn grinding the Datapad... unfortunately all I have is a dodgy Windows Phone.

Thanks for the response though! I'll keep crossing my fingers BioWare pulls their head out someyear...

Doesn't seem fair for the renters or those buying it used.
Tell you something you probably already know: Life isn't fair. Especially when it comes to games + EA.

"Dodgy" business practice or not, it's just another way for EA to try to maximize their profits.

@OP -- I saw you finally bought a pass, so you'll at least be happy to know the DLC that comes out next week will be free to all who have an online pass. I guess that softens the burden a bit.

Tell you something you probably already know: Life isn't fair. Especially when it comes to games + EA.

"Dodgy" business practice or not, it's just another way for EA to try to maximize their profits.

@OP -- I saw you finally bought a pass, so you'll at least be happy to know the DLC that comes out next week will be free to all who have an online pass. I guess that softens the burden a bit.

You're from the T too? Small world. Yes, I bought a pass and got the two achievements. Multi is pretty fun, so it wasn't a lost cause.