Is gaming a sport? Yes or no?

You play a video game.....thus it's called gaming. Sports require at the very least, body movement (no, moving your fingers does not count). Not all sports are strenuous (Ex.Curling), but they do require you to get off the couch. ;) When you throw a frisbee, you could call the leisure activity a game, but that would be splitting hairs.

Edited by SpinalSynopsis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You play a video game.....thus it's called gaming. Sports require at the very least, body movement (no, moving your fingers does not count). Not all sports are strenuous (Ex.Curling), but they do require you to get off the couch. ;) When you throw a frisbee, you could call the leisure activity a game, but that would be splitting hairs.

But then you have Kinect, Wii, Playstation Moove, all these Video Game activites require you to get off the couch (for the most part) so by your own definition you are saying that this is classified as sport, but using a conventional controller is not?

Like I said "Mind Sports." Go look up the definition.

Of course you would not place playing a WWE wrestling game in the same category as actually physically being a WWE wrestler but they are both different types of sport.

I guess it is just always going to be a matter of opinion.

No, it is a hobby.

I've played ice hockey my whole life, so my comparison is as follows:

How could it be under the same definition as sport, when I am playing hockey that I am physically exerting myself by skating, shooting, checking, making saves, passing, etc. Also, I have to use the skills that I have practiced over the years: puck-handling, saucer passes, dekes, learning angles from the crease, when to use butterfly saves or when to stand up to make saves, how to use "C-Cut" skating and when not to, etc. Not to mention going to practice and playing in the actual division and ranked games. Do I need to practice anything in games? no.

Finally, how about those injuries I have occured? Torn rotator cuff, damage to my knees, and a shattered foot. My video game injuries, none.

They arent even in the same realm as each other.

This is a very ignorant comment. "Kicking" a football is not called "Sporting" so does that mean it's not a sport?

It''s not ignorant at all. Kicking is an activity you do while playing a sport.

Gaming is it's own activity.

A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.". Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.

It''s not ignorant at all. Kicking is an activity you do while playing a sport.

Gaming is it's own activity.

You Play the sport you do not sport the sport. "Playing Football" is not called "Sporting Football". Gaming is the "Mind Sport", Pressing buttons and stuff is the activity you do whilst playing the "Mind Sport"

A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.". Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.

"A Mind Sport is a sport or a game of skill where the mental component is much more significant than the physical. The official bodies that use the term have over 500 million registered users"

I never said it was a Physical Sport, even Kinect, Wii and Moove don't classify as Physical Sports in my opinion (although that is right on the line and easily up for debate).

If gaming is a sport than so is playing mousetrap, or doing a crossword. Lets go ahead and move sudoku over to the sports section. Next winter olympics were gonna have a competition to see who can find all the hidden pictures in a highlights magazine. I think sounding like an asshole in this thread is pretty close to a sport by your standards, and im winning.

The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport. I consider a sport anything in a competitive setting, athletic or not, that requires some skill so in my eyes, wrong or right, gaming is a sport, especially when there are people out there who acknowledge chess as a sport.

Probably should have read the whole thread, almost everything I said is in other peoples post.

Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.

Indeed.

The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport.

To this and the other People talking about Nascar:

Racing of any kind is very physically Exhausting. Sure the drivers might not actually be running around like a Marathon Runner, but its still takes an intense physical toll on the Driver.

On topic:

I Absolutely Think that Gaming can Be a Form of Competition, Ive even taken part in Many Gaming Competitions, but Gaming is definitely not A Sport.

Maybe with a wiineck but not with a pad ,gaming could not be a sport.

I agree with zing about driving even with "another left turn " it still drains the crap out people ,you have to be in good shape to be a driver for that reason ,you dont see many fat guys with a kfc bucket on the steering column driving .waste of fuel motor sport imo.

blu wolve be it wwe or tna or even roh it is called sport,s entertainment.

Unless it is that backyard crap that gets countless people put in hospital then that would be called idiocy ..

The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport. I consider a sport anything in a competitive setting, athletic or not, that requires some skill so in my eyes, wrong or right, gaming is a sport, especially when there are people out there who acknowledge chess as a sport.

Probably should have read the whole thread, almost everything I said is in other peoples post.

One has to be in ridiculous good shape in order to drive and win NASCAR races. You ever seen a fat driver? And why do you think they can do backflips and shit all the time? They're all very athletic and in good shape.

You HAVE to be in good shape to sit in a 180-degree cabin for 4+ hours at a time, while driving 190+mph.

What I want to know is...why do we consider Baseball to be a sport? ;)

One has to be in ridiculous good shape in order to drive and win NASCAR races. You ever seen a fat driver? And why do you think they can do backflips and shit all the time? They're all very athletic and in good shape.

You HAVE to be in good shape to sit in a 180-degree cabin for 4+ hours at a time, while driving 190+mph.

What I want to know is...why do we consider Baseball to be a sport? ;)

air conditioner... DUH (jk)

i guess because u have to run in a circle after u swing a bat

but if its a no hitter is it a sport? its just 2 guys playing catch lol

Gaming is definitely not a sport, but there's a huge difference between gaming and competitive gaming (MLG). I still don't consider that a sport, though. And playing real sports (sorry golfers) helps you get better at video games in my opinion. All my friends that play sports are good at CoD, all my friends that don't suck.

Gaming is definitely not a sport, but there's a huge difference between gaming and competitive gaming (MLG). I still don't consider that a sport, though. And playing real sports (sorry golfers) helps you get better at video games in my opinion. All my friends that play sports are good at CoD, all my friends that don't suck.
Actually the real differnce it that MLG is the Minor leagues especially when most of the Gaming Leagues don't need the strict rules that MLG has for their "pros" to Win.