Gymkhana Strategy

Uranium Deposit

I 100%'d this game about a week after it came out but the title update wiped my progress so I just started over today.

What's the right strategy for winning these Gymkhana events? I've been focusing on handling upgrades and have maxed the PI for each tournament but I'm still 10 seconds behind in 3-4th place each race.

Also, on which track did you get the 80k points/lap for drift? I don't want to redo the entire Arcade or Career in order to unlock all of them.

I 100%'d this game about a week after it came out but the title update wiped my progress so I just started over today.

What's the right strategy for winning these Gymkhana events? I've been focusing on handling upgrades and have maxed the PI for each tournament but I'm still 10 seconds behind in 3-4th place each race.

Also, on which track did you get the 80k points/lap for drift? I don't want to redo the entire Arcade or Career in order to unlock all of them.

Best I've done on 100% difficulty is about 8 seconds behind with no penalties. That was about 20 attempts on the same track. Seems impossible but there are 5 people over at TA.com that have managed it.

Out of interest what is the criteria for:

World Champion Win all of the Reckless Racing Ultimate Cups.

To the End and Back Finish all of the Reckless Racing Ultimate Cups.

Done the 3 Reckless Cups on 100% difficulty but no achievement.

It is a bit misleading. You actually need to complete all of the cups. Whether that now includes the DLC I'm not certain.

I just got both achievements after completing Tropical Cup but I still have 7 other cups to start and complete (non DLC). Very strange. Just wondering if I repeat the same ones I have done on dynamic difficulty on 100% difficulty will I get the hardcore achievement. I suppose only one way to find out.

You need to uncheck dynamic difficulty and put it at 100%. Then you'll likely need to redo all the cups for gold.

Yeah, I have already started doing that. Done the last five cups on 100% difficulty. Just got to redo all the other cups I done already and then I will finish off the uncompleted cups if the Hardcore achievement doesn't pop.

It only counts the total # of cups won at max difficulty for the achievement, so if you have any of the DLC done, it'll be less of the original cups you have to do. I had the Drift cups already done, and the achievements for completing, winning, and winning at max all popped with 4 of the original cups left unplayed.

I've managed 2nd/3rd in the first Gymkhana cup, but it's definitely tough. Seems easier with the 2nd car, mostly handling upgrades.

EDIT: Finally won the first Gymkhana at 100%. Used 2nd car, with only better tires and handling upgrades. Won the first race, placed 2nd in the 2nd and 3rd. I abused the restart feature to make sure it was someone different with the best time, and the 2nd time was beatable.

1st race - I won, Tommy 2nd, Kim 3rd (Me 10pts, Tommy 8pts, Kim 6pts)

2nd race - Kim won, me 2nd, Tommy 3rd (Me 18pts, Kim 16pts, Tommy 14pts)

3rd race - Tommy won, me 2nd, Kim 3rd (Me 26pts, Tommy 24pts, Kim 24pts)

Basically, it's usually only the top time that's really tough to beat, so I just made sure the 2nd time was beatable, and it wasn't the same guy winning, otherwise restarted. Going to try this same method on the other 2 cups once I earn some more money for upgrades & the 3rd Gymkhana car.

Edited by Buckswana
update

The restart really is your best friend for the Gymkhana event, the top time can differ by about 5 seconds, so just keep restarting until you see a time you can realistically beat. Other than that, learn the courses and (IMO) always buy the tire upgrade for whatever car you use then spend the rest of the available PI points on acceleration, making sure you're at the upper limit for that event.

Anyone got any tips for the drift events??

The restart really is your best friend for the Gymkhana event, the top time can differ by about 5 seconds, so just keep restarting until you see a time you can realistically beat. Other than that, learn the courses and (IMO) always buy the tire upgrade for whatever car you use then spend the rest of the available PI points on acceleration, making sure you're at the upper limit for that event.

Anyone got any tips for the drift events??

Drifts for me was mostly trial and error. The faster you're moving while drifting, the more points you get, tapping brake to avoid hitting stuff. I generally used tire/handling upgrades over speed for almost all of the cups I ran. You're always better to stop than hit something, since you're points double when you score a drift. You really need to get an Awesome drift or two per course to have a good chance.

The drifts were great! You cannot underestimate how useful that brake can be, especially when switching turn angles in the middle of a straightaway. You should always be accelerating, but you do have a second to lose your drift once you've built up a big enough combo.

Also, remember that if you're moving fast and turn 90° against the momentum you'll be getting loads of points. The most important is to string those turns together and not hit the walls as that halves your potential score. Highest I ever got was a 20x2 on two occassions when going for the 80k achievement. Speaking of which, anyone got any recs for that achievement. Highest I've got is 76k.

Edited by Uranium Deposit

• 3 weeks later...
Finally won the first Gymkhana at 100%. Used 2nd car, with only better tires and handling upgrades. Won the first race, placed 2nd in the 2nd and 3rd. I abused the restart feature to make sure it was someone different with the best time, and the 2nd time was beatable.

Basically, it's usually only the top time that's really tough to beat, so I just made sure the 2nd time was beatable, and it wasn't the same guy winning, otherwise restarted. Going to try this same method on the other 2 cups once I earn some more money for upgrades & the 3rd Gymkhana car.

Great advice. Once I stopped being an idiot and actually restarted for a HIGH time instead of a LOW time it only took one try. Still haven't attempted to 2nd two. How did you get on with them?

Worked like a charm. Here's the solution I wrote for TA - feel free to add it to the X360A guide in some form - modified or otherwise.

The key to getting this achievement is getting beneficial opponents' scores by restarting races. You will likely restart races hundreds of times in order to unlock this. If you have unlocked all the other base achievements, then there isn't much advice I can give you in order to win these races as far as gameplay is concerned other than don't be afraid to use your brakes.

On max difficulty 75% of occassions the same AI will have the top time, with 20% going to the number two AI and the remainder being mixed. For those races you have difficulty meeting the target time for a victory I recommend trying to get the #2-#5 racers as the winner as it will often result in the #1 AI having a much lower score. Continue to restart the race at the beginning until you get a time that is beatable. Observed times for the 2nd and 3rd cups are posted below.

Vehicle configuration:

Cup 1 use the Lord S4 with only racing tires and suspension upgrades.

Cup 2 use the Lord S4 with all upgrades except camshaft.

Cup 3 use the Spritzer Turbo with all upgrades

Times (Did not collect data for Cup 1, but will post in solution if someone wants to provide in the comments) I don't guarantee that you won't find AI times, but these were the highest I saw and you're unlikely to find higher without dozens of restarts.

Gymkhana Pro

Track Highest Opponent Time Seen Personal Best Time

Dock Edge 1.05.63 1.04.08

Fast'n Slow 1.23.07 1.21.25

Runway Buster 0.58.72 0.57.04

Hick E Tricky 0.50.99 0.46.62

Gymkhana Champ

Docks Hazard 0.48.61 0.47.71

Flat Out 1.00.83 1.00.54

Slippery Slalom 0.38.50 0.36.48

Hick E Wicked 0.57.62 0.56.44

Avinosis 1.16.43 1.14.06

Criticism and contributions are welcome.