I like this game (do NOT post here, if you don't)!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I've heard a lot of complaining about this game - Personally, I can't see why.

I've played a few games based on Disney films with a twist over the years (Kingdom Hearts being the most prominant), so when I saw this game, and saw it was about one of my favourite Disney films (Not ashamed to admit it) I was a little sceptical that they may ruin it.

I needn't have been; this is by far one of the best Hack and Slash/Adventure games I have played in a long, long time.

It's great because this game has everything an Adventure game should have - Not only is it's Collectible segment very, very large, but the way it's tallied and listed means that should you happen to miss one, unlike other Hack and Slash/Adventure games (*Cough* Prince of Persia *Cough*) it's not a pain in the nuts to find out exactly where you missed it and go back to correct it.

At the same time, they've made sure that combat remains flavoursome throughout the game - It's a Hack and Slash, but not in the traditional sense. At least some enemies block, or dodge certain attacks. Admittedly, the Teapot Cannon and DEFINITELY the Catnip Cannon are ridiculously overpowered and made Nightmare difficulty feel easier than my original Normal playthrough, but that's okay, it's fun killing a Collosal Ruin in a matter of seconds. :)

Honestly, people who gripe about this game are nitpicking. Yes, there are glitches, but they're not game-breaking. They may be annoying (Yes, I feel everybody's pain when the camera pans to the other side of the game while 5 enemies pile you), but it's not a problem to the extent where it ruins the experience.

I firmly agree with Restricted-Access, this game is an exemplary example of what Hack and Slashers should be.

This game blew my mind on the final stretch of the fifth chapter. Aside from the moments during the mini games when the art styles clash and really bring different depth to the lay out, the story itself was what makes the game. It is such a dark story, derived from one of the most loved and iconic tales ever written. I was almost shocked they could put a story like that into a video game, though not graphic it strikes a certain chord I have not seen in other games. They have done the original great justice with this title.

I thought this game was very fun to play. The controls where easy to use and the game seemed to flow nicely.

I finished it and then began a second playthrough on Nightmare immediately. There have only been a handful of games where I did that...Enslaved, The Saboteur, Portal 2 for example.

The graphics were done quite well and the weapons were cool and unique.

I absolutely love that game. Still have to finish my second playthrough.

Gamepla mechanic is just basic stuff but the whole story and atmosphere is the best since Bioshock!

But having played the first before I would say that the sequel could have been darker and I think the China level doesn't quite fit into the theme of the game.

Also liked the first Alice. Gameplay mechanics and controls are rather bad but its the atmosphere that draws me in as well and the Soundtrack is gold! So creepy, tense music. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

My favorite songs of the Soundtrack, give it a listen:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-O0VSdfwUU]American Mcgee's Alice - Fortress of Doors - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkc_uQBE63I&feature=related]American Mcgee's Alice - Wonderland Woods - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1qvnKT_DEg&feature=related]American Mcgee's Alice - Battle with the Red Queen - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCg6LATWsAs&feature=related]American Mcgee's Alice - Village of the Doomed - YouTube[/ame]

A sad day for me a few days ago. I sold my copy of "Alice: Madness Returns." I know, hard to believe... being a major proponent of the game, but I was curious what GameStop was currently offering for a trade-in value, and they told me $14.00 - sorry... not happening. It was $18.00 at GameStop, back when that other place only offered me $23.00, almost 2 months ago!

Then out of curiosity, I called that other place ("Book Off"), wondering if it was still $23.00, but was expecting maybe $10.00... I was told $30.00! WHAT?!! I was excited about that amount, since it was higher than their previous offer. I called them back about 5 minutes later, because they guy had a strong Japanese accent, and I started thinking he might have said "13" instead of "30" - and I was looking at a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get there.

I asked him if it was $30.00 - 20 dollars plus 10 dollars, not 13 dollars? He confirmed it was $30.00.

So... I sold Alice: Madness Returns. :(

Yes, I love the game... but ALL games drop in value, and I can pick it up again when I find it a lot cheaper. Right now, I have "5" games to buy in November, and EVERY dollar that goes towards that, means I'll more likely get all the games I'm after by the 15th of November!

I finished "Assassin's Creed II," six weeks after it came out, and got a $45.00 trade-in for it towards BioShock 2... and picked-up a used copy later the next year - in MINT CONDITION - for $15.00.

I only paid $40.00 for Alice (new), so getting $30.00 for it is awesome. If I get it used in the next year or so for 10 or 15 bucks, it was worth it to help get new games next month!!

Knowing MY luck... some awesome game-play add-ons will come out in the next few weeks, but that's alright... I'll get the game again someday! :)

A sad day for me a few days ago. I sold my copy of "Alice: Madness Returns." I know, hard to believe... being a major proponent of the game, but I was curious what GameStop was currently offering for a trade-in value, and they told me $14.00 - sorry... not happening. It was $18.00 at GameStop, back when that other place only offered me $23.00, almost 2 months ago!

Then out of curiosity, I called that other place ("Book Off"), wondering if it was still $23.00, but was expecting maybe $10.00... I was told $30.00! WHAT?!! I was excited about that amount, since it was higher than their previous offer. I called them back about 5 minutes later, because they guy had a strong Japanese accent, and I started thinking he might have said "13" instead of "30" - and I was looking at a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get there.

I asked him if it was $30.00 - 20 dollars plus 10 dollars, not 13 dollars? He confirmed it was $30.00.

So... I sold Alice: Madness Returns. :(

Yes, I love the game... but ALL games drop in value, and I can pick it up again when I find it a lot cheaper. Right now, I have "5" games to buy in November, and EVERY dollar that goes towards that, means I'll more likely get all the games I'm after by the 15th of November!

I finished "Assassin's Creed II," six weeks after it came out, and got a $45.00 trade-in for it towards BioShock 2... and picked-up a used copy later the next year - in MINT CONDITION - for $15.00.

I only paid $40.00 for Alice (new), so getting $30.00 for it is awesome. If I get it used in the next year or so for 10 or 15 bucks, it was worth it to help get new games next month!!

Knowing MY luck... some awesome game-play add-ons will come out in the next few weeks, but that's alright... I'll get the game again someday! :)

You are one weird dude...

I enjoyed the game a lot. Great artwork and scenery etc. Gameplay is pretty damn awesome too. I do agree the chapters seemed a little long winded after around chapter 3. Not that I am complaining - it's nice to have a long game for a change. I really enjoy platformers and when they are done right they are like this game.

Great game overall - not sure if I will come back to play it but I always keep my games so I probably will. Still got the original to sore through.

I noticed a strange little glitch - when playing music through the dashboard. When you was on the *** SPOILER *** splatting stomping on cards part. The quakes when you stamp would disrupt the music. Strange =/

I really like the rb dash evade move. It made me feel like I was dante in DMC. It's got that kind of element to it. Which I do like a lot!

Alice: MR is an amazing game. I'll admit it's very rare for me as a gamer to be hooked from start to finish on a game but that opening cutscene with the intriguing art style and eerie music pretty much sealed my opinion.

Loved it and is definitely one of the best platformers I have played in a very, very long time.

I really loved this game. I'd been wanting to play the first one for a very long time but never got around to it, so when this came out with the original I literally begged my hubby to get it for me for valentines day (how romantic!)

I played through the first on first and liked it, played through the second one and loved it. I have to say it's MUCH easier than the first, maybe that's one reason why I like it so much!

I just really like alice portrayed as dark and twisted, I hate how it is in the first disney movie where it's all happy and light. Love the dark, mature feel to this alice. Also adore the different levels. Wish there were more games as interesting and original as this.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it would have been better if the length of each chapter was cut by about 1/5 and another unique chapter added to make up for it. I really enjoyed the game, but there was way too much copy and paste going on.

I do agree that the chapters are very long, and although the camera angles and glitchey parts annoy me, I really enjoy this game. I'm addicted to it, twisted Alice in Wonderland is enjoyable ;]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this game a lot. Granted the platforming gets really repetitive, but the environments (overall scenery) and the challenge of looking for all the collectibles along the way makes up for it. The only disappointment for me was the lack of bosses. I was hoping to have something harder to fight at the end of each chapter, but all I got was the Dollmaker whom I defeated without taking any damages on my first try.

Some complained that the levels were too long, but it was the opposite for me. When I bought this game, someone said that it only had 6 chapters, so I thought "man not another 3-4 hour single player campaign game", but I was gladly surprised that each chapter stretched enough to make it worth the money.

So overall, beautiful game, fun to play and not too frustrating to 100%.

I'm not enjoying American McGee though. I find the controls and the collisions to be highly frustrating and badly done. Again, good scenery and nice music, but it seems that these are the only elements where they invested any efforts. Also, I still haven't figured out how to save and the auto-save are really rare, forcing me to re-do a big chunk of each chapter many times before I figure out where, what and how.

Also, most games even back in 2000 had a little form of tutorial on how to use newly acquired weapons and skills. American McGee just hands me stuff and pretty much says "Press buttons and see what happens". So I'm not liking that either.

But I'll get through it soon and it'll be element of the past. But at least they did a better job in Madness Returns :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks like this thread needs a *bump* to the front page! People are posting in the bitching thread that they like the game. Personally, I think the bitching thread should be stickied to the last page (but that's just me)!

I'm still not finding the game anywhere for under $20.00 (not by any significant amount, at least). I have a friend who is going to sell me his copy of the game when he finishes it (for 10 bucks), so I'll be playing again soon enough!

Anyway... if you love the game, post your thoughts here. It's not the best game in the world, but it IS fun... and a very pretty game on many levels. Also... if you have a Dolby Digital Sound System with an LFE sub-woofer... be prepared for the most amazing kick you've heard in a game, coming from your sub-woofer!!!

• 1 month later...

I was excited to play this game from the second I heard about it. I'd only played bits and pieces of the first one on the PC in the way back when, but I knew from the opening cutscene in the first Alice (brilliant, by the way, intercutting the original text of the story into Alice waking up to find out the house is on fire) that I had to follow this story all the way through. I'm a little worried that I'm playing it out of order though, because I'm playing the new before the old. But I'm having so much fun with Madness Returns that I guess I don't care that I'm essentially playing Spoiler Alert, the game.

• 7 months later...