What's with this game and bad reviews??

XanafiedSpartan

Some of the controls are a bit sluggish but they are still fine.

Sluggish controls from a game on software that touts 1:1 response time? I think that's exactly why it is getting bad reviews. The entire purpose of Kinect is that you make a move and the character on-screen does the same thing, at the same time. If it takes even a second to register what you've done, the game is a complete failure.

Sluggish controls from a game on software that touts 1:1 response time? I think that's exactly why it is getting bad reviews. The entire purpose of Kinect is that you make a move and the character on-screen does the same thing, at the same time. If it takes even a second to register what you've done, the game is a complete failure.

I get damn near 1:1 movement but that's only because I pick my shots. It throws as soon as I do but you can't flail like a moron or of course it wont pick up 50 punches in two seconds. As soon as my gf figured that out she loved it. Fight like a real fight, take your time, pick your shots and I promise you'll enjoy it.

:uzi:Kick the cat, im sure it would love to help you slay Ratface.

I am firmly of the opinion that people who haven’t even played Kinect should shut the hell up. I am SOOOO tired of people bashing the Kinect because you can’t play sitting down, because they broke a sweat, or are just too lame to actually give the system a chance.

Kinect is new, and by no means perfect. Hell did anyone really expect Microsoft to put out a perfect product. Yea it probably doesn’t work as well as the “Move”. Microsoft couldn’t exactly copy the Wii to build the Kinect. Fully controllerless technology is going to take some time to mature.

With that being said, Fighters Uncaged is an excellent example of a more mature-ish game for Kinect and is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Yea your gonna break a sweat and feel like someone kicked your ass the next day, but hell goto a dojo and spar with someone for an hour. You’ll come out feeling a lot worse.

If you have a Kinect, give this game a try. You’ll have fun and after all that’s what it’s all about.

:uzi:Kick the cat, im sure it would love to help you slay Ratface.

I am firmly of the opinion that people who haven’t even played Kinect should shut the hell up. I am SOOOO tired of people bashing the Kinect because you can’t play sitting down, because they broke a sweat, or are just too lame to actually give the system a chance.

Kinect is new, and by no means perfect. Hell did anyone really expect Microsoft to put out a perfect product. Yea it probably doesn’t work as well as the “Move”. Microsoft couldn’t exactly copy the Wii to build the Kinect. Fully controllerless technology is going to take some time to mature.

With that being said, Fighters Uncaged is an excellent example of a more mature-ish game for Kinect and is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Yea your gonna break a sweat and feel like someone kicked your ass the next day, but hell goto a dojo and spar with someone for an hour. You’ll come out feeling a lot worse.

If you have a Kinect, give this game a try. You’ll have fun and after all that’s what it’s all about.

You can play it sitting down. MS has confirmed that you can control the interface, and movies while sitting down. Eventually the hybrid games (kinect + controller) will have you sitting down. Just because the games out now require you to stand up, everyone assumed you need to stand up for all games. It was a rumor most likely started by SDF fanboys..

Now ya'll have me second guessing myself. I have yet to see a review with a score over a 4 because of how terrible the controls are but then I come here and people are saying it's good. I've read that the training levels are way too long and their is some serious lag issues with the moves. Is this true?

Now ya'll have me second guessing myself. I have yet to see a review with a score over a 4 because of how terrible the controls are but then I come here and people are saying it's good. I've read that the training levels are way too long and their is some serious lag issues with the moves. Is this true?

Are there some lags issues, sure, are the training levels long, not really. Where I find the lag is when I get to carried away and forget about timing. If you stay focused and time your punches and kicks, you shouldn't have to much lag if any at all. For the training, you don't have to do the initial stuff, not sure if there is more later on in the game.

What reviewers must have forgot, this is just a game and not real life. You can't go in there windmill swinging and assume this game is going to work properly. I know I was worried about the reviews too but I bought it cause I figured I would give this Kinect a real shot. I love this game, my 8 year old daughter love this game!

If this game is this good this early on in the development of Kinect, I can't wait to see what developers come up with next!

Is the game 1:1 strikes, or does it pick a canned animation based on what it thinks you did?

Like does doing an uppercut actually translate directly (somewhat like smacking blocks in Your Shape), or does it just trigger the "uppercut" move?

Like I said, as long as you don't go into this game like it's a real fight, then it's pretty close to 1:1. If you go in windmill swinging then it just can't keep up with you.

Anyone remember when the Palm personal organizers came out? Remember the special way you had to write the letters? It wasn't like writing the normal alphabet. Well this game is similar. If you move your right foot behind your left leg, the character does a spinning back kick to the guy's head. So there is a learning curve when it comes to the moves. I recommend the training lessons!

Is the game 1:1 strikes, or does it pick a canned animation based on what it thinks you did?

Like does doing an uppercut actually translate directly (somewhat like smacking blocks in Your Shape), or does it just trigger the "uppercut" move?

Yes an upper cut directly translates into an uppercut. Unless you are out of range for that strike. This game has three basic striking distances close medium and long and certain strikes likes kicks work at long range where a headbutt obviously wouldn't connect. Throw the wrong strike and it opens up a counter. If you already have kinect I HIGHLY recommend that you add this game to your collection.

i was actually considering getting this game the other day, but the reviews scared me off. i'm hoping they release a demo.. if not, i'll probably rent it.

but onto another point, it does seem like Kinect is getting a bad rep from a lot of lazy gamers who just don't want to give up their controller and "pro" reviewers who have suddenly become technology wizards that are saying Kinect should have been better than it is. (i wonder why these "pro" reviewers are wasting their life away writing video game reviews when they act like they're smart enough to revolutionize our technological standards.) if you're a gamer, give Kinect a chance, understand it's new technology and realize it's only going to get better and better.

i was actually considering getting this game the other day, but the reviews scared me off. i'm hoping they release a demo.. if not, i'll probably rent it.

but onto another point, it does seem like Kinect is getting a bad rep from a lot of lazy gamers who just don't want to give up their controller and "pro" reviewers who have suddenly become technology wizards that are saying Kinect should have been better than it is. (i wonder why these "pro" reviewers are wasting their life away writing video game reviews when they act like they're smart enough to revolutionize our technological standards.) if you're a gamer, give Kinect a chance, understand it's new technology and realize it's only going to get better and better.

To be fair Project Natal was a lot more advanced than what Kinect is...they really did dumb it down. But I did buy one and am enjoying it...hell I got my Dad to play Kinect Adventures...those were some good pictures.

I feel that while I haven't played the game yet the developers are lazy for leaving online support out however I can understand that maybe it would have took alot longer to be able to program local multiplayer into the game.

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S phone and the phones4U guy was showing me how his programming friend upgraded the firmwire to make the phone perform at over 4 times faster than the standard model. What the meaning in this?

Well the hardware is there, it have limitations at the moment (included developers not being very fluent in developing for it) but microsoft could update firmware to increase performance down the line (I.e. better one to one processing, ability to track more joints, or even ability to scan more objects in).

So yeah, the game isn't perfect, just enjoy the tech whilst its new ;) and watch it grow like you're own child ;)

Glad to hear that we are able to debunk some of the rampant whinning going on about this game.

This game is great fun! Yes this is just the very begining for Kinect, but it will only get better from here. I can not wait for another fighting game to be release for Kinect now.... OOoooOOO Mortal Kombat Kinect... now that has a ring to it.

This is an awsome preview of what can be done with the system. This game plays a whole lot like the GIANT machines you used to be able to play fighting games on at the arcades. The ones where you had to get up and kick and punch. But this sits on top of my TV, thoes machines wouldn't fit in most people's houses.

Give it a try, if your unsure, rent it. You'll have a blast.

Glad to hear that we are able to debunk some of the rampant whinning going on about this game.

This game is great fun! Yes this is just the very begining for Kinect, but it will only get better from here. I can not wait for another fighting game to be release for Kinect now.... OOoooOOO Mortal Kombat Kinect... now that has a ring to it.

This is an awsome preview of what can be done with the system. This game plays a whole lot like the GIANT machines you used to be able to play fighting games on at the arcades. The ones where you had to get up and kick and punch. But this sits on top of my TV, thoes machines wouldn't fit in most people's houses.

Give it a try, if your unsure, rent it. You'll have a blast.

I also would love to see MK:Kinnekt (they always had unnecessary K's) and those arcade machines were my favorite back in the day. I totally forgot about them too. Kinda like nick arcade being compared to kinect. But seriously who didn't wanna be on that show? Off topic...double dare kinect....

This game really is awesome, you do have to match & learn what's in the game. Strategy also comes into play with the whole close, med, long range & it turn decides what moves you can do. Then that reflects in each fight you have.

Though I would say sometimes replicating what you want to do doesn't have so again its back to training to understand what does what (i.e. moves like the spinning heel kick which obviously you do not actually do in real, but instead you need to put your one leg behind your other). It's the more complex or "expert" techniques & moves. Then remembering which moves fit into which group, close, medium, long range.

If you're going in thinking it's not good because it doesn't respond to what you do, seriously wtf are you doing? Playing DragonBall Z? Flailing like a girl? Seriously record yourself because you might just be in denial, if you are doing said thing's then you're a freaking idiot.

Learn to fight, kinda helps... yeah.

Otherwise this game is just the tip of the iceberg of what's to come. We started off with CoD2, PDZ, PGR3, Kameo, Condemned for 360 launch, this is what we get in the line up for Kinect, now to wait a little while longer for the Gears of War & Halo equivalent to come along to really show us what Kinect is capable of.

• 2 weeks later...

People that gave this game a bad review are absolutely WRONG! This is possibly one of the best fighting game ever made. (besides a few cheezie characters) The controls are super tight, you have huge control over your character AND Your body is the controller! The game has a set of fight moves that you can do, You can only do these moves to gain full control, people that go crazy like ninjas "aka Power Rangers" (the same type of people that rapidly press a to win a fight) will think the game sucks, but actually its the controller (the person) that has the issue.

I cant believe xbox360achievements.org gave it a bad review

I wouldn’t say it was downright unplayable, but it’s not far off. The actions on-screen rarely mimic your actions in front of the camera. Even getting through the tutorial was a chore.

Sounds like he should have gone through the tutorial a few more times before moving on. Maybe he sparkles like a vampire or has a lemon sensor! :-)

Edited by TopNotched

I think that is decent game, but ofcorse there is lot of room to advance in future @ fighting games with kinect, but for first game Ubisoft have done great job!

Agree - it may not be 1:1, but it is a pretty good workout.

You just have to remember that you need to dodge a lot and do the "moves" that the game want's and not flailing your arms like a crazy ninja. :p