Arrow

Shiftie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm liking how they are addressing Oliver's murderous intent (and how many dead bodies he left) in the first season and how he's trying to change now for the sake of Tommy's memory. It always bugged me that he actually killed people, seeing as how he's supposed to be a super hero and that's suppose to be their number one rule. Of course, this is a more mature show and he does shoot people with arrows after all, but I'm glad that they were moving away from that persona of justifying murder for the sake of "saving the city" and more towards the hero that he's suppose to be.

I also had no idea that Summer Glau to be in this series but it's a welcome surprise. I wonder how much of a role she'll play in this season but seeing as how she's suppose to be Oliver's partner in the company, it'll be interesting to see how that relationship plays out.

The cliff hanger at the end of the second episode of season 2 really makes me want to see what happens in episode 3 as well :D

Edited by Rapture639

Well the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2 didn't quite end as I thought it was going to, but it was still a nice surprise.

I also think its awesome that they're finally diving into the expanded DC universe with the inclusion of villains from other series like Ra's al Ghul. It'll be interesting to see how big a role he plays going into season 2.

Well the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2 didn't quite end as I thought it was going to, but it was still a nice surprise.

I also think its awesome that they're finally diving into the expanded DC universe with the inclusion of villains from other series like Ra's al Ghul. It'll be interesting to see how big a role he plays going into season 2.

I totally called Black Canary coming to the rescue :p I was not, however, expecting her to be trained by Ra's al Ghul, which I think is kind of dumb right now since she doesn't seem at all like a member of the League of Shadows. I'm kind of curious of the clocktower Black Canary is hiding in atm will be converted to The Watchtower at some point. Working out of a basement does not seem all that advantageous, but maybe it has a better location than the tower.

It was interesting to see Slade on fire.. I'm definitely interested in seeing how that pans out since he still needs to lose an eye at some point, but I couldn't really tell whether his hands were on fire or his face and hands. Fire face would be a good reason to start wearing his mask.

Edited by Shiftie

I totally called Black Canary coming to the rescue :p I was not, however, expecting her to be trained by Ra's al Ghul, which I think is kind of dumb right now since she doesn't seem at all like a member of the League of Shadows. I'm kind of curious of the clocktower Black Canary is hiding in atm will be converted to The Watchtower at some point. Working out of a basement does not seem all that advantageous, but maybe it has a better location than the tower.

It was interesting to see Slade on fire.. I'm definitely interested in seeing how that pans out since he still needs to lose an eye at some point, but I couldn't really tell whether his hands were on fire or his face and hands. Fire face would be a good reason to start wearing his mask.

It's not entirely unheard of for Black Canary to have a connection to the League or to Ra's, though never one that was so direct. In the comics, she received training by a former League of Assassins (that's the pre-Batman Begins name of League of Shadows before Nolan just decided to rename it) member, which connected her to them.

I'm sure the tower is definitely a reference to Watchtower, but Watchtower was a name given to Justice League bases of MANY different formats. However, after Smallville, the old-clocktower look is easily recognizable to many fans. I think that's why they included it.

As for Slade ... they're definitely doing a good job of keeping us on our toes as to whether he'll become Deathstroke, or whether his former partner, Billy Wintergreen will ... even when they dueled and Slade stabbed him in the eye, it wasn't made clear whether Billy was dead or not. He probably is and Slade will become Deathstroke ... but still, could go either way ;)

---

My issue with that 3rd episode though ... after "the Arrow" and former Detective Lance were working together and walking around together for hours and hours, how did Lance NOT recognize Oliver?!? His cowl + eye makeup is really a shitty disguise IMO. Hell, I'm still surprised that Laurel hasn't recognized him yet.

Also, after that episode, I'm pretty much convinced that Sara knows who he is ... that is, she knows that Oliver is "the Arrow".

One last thing ... I don't think Roy will ever become "Speedy" in this series. Mostly because of the speedy reference to Oliver's sister. I think he'll go straight to being Arsenal or Red Arrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently got on board with this show and binge watched the whole first season, didn't watch it last year because after the first few episodes I had the next few weeks on my dvr and the wife deleted them, I didn't want to watch them out of sequence.

Gotta say I freaking love this show, last weeks Ra's Al Ghul reference was so out of the blue, and this week they referenced Talia too. Little disappointed that Canary left town, probably mean the League of Assassin's storyline will goon the back burner for a bit. Hopefully though they can develop Roy some more, I agree with Vex that he will just become Arsenal. He did repaint that arrow red after all. I'm looking forward to how they handle actual powers in this universe too.

I just recently got on board with this show and binge watched the whole first season, didn't watch it last year because after the first few episodes I had the next few weeks on my dvr and the wife deleted them, I didn't want to watch them out of sequence.

Gotta say I freaking love this show, last weeks Ra's Al Ghul reference was so out of the blue, and this week they referenced Talia too. Little disappointed that Canary left town, probably mean the League of Assassin's storyline will goon the back burner for a bit. Hopefully though they can develop Roy some more, I agree with Vex that he will just become Arsenal. He did repaint that arrow red after all. I'm looking forward to how they handle actual powers in this universe too.

I think they answered the "powers" question at Comic Con panel, where they said that there won't be anything SUPERNATURAL in this show and they're keeping things more technological and not pushing the envelope much. They want to keep it more character-driven than about who's more powerful than who, etc.

Canary will definitely be back at the end of the season. I'm not sure if they're going to kill her off this season though, but they MIGHT. Depends on how quickly they want Laurel to take up the Canary mask ...

Is it a spoiler to talk about Canary's identity? Well regardless, I'll try to be vague in case people that aren't caught up and don't want to know yet. I will say though that I was surprised when they revealed who it was, and I was definitely interested in how it was going to develop with Oliver given his complicated relationship with that family. Kinda weird that she left town after 2 episodes, but I guess they wanted to go back to the alderman and his scarecrow-wannabe persona.

Is it a spoiler to talk about Canary's identity? Well regardless, I'll try to be vague in case people that aren't caught up and don't want to know yet. I will say though that I was surprised when they revealed who it was, and I was definitely interested in how it was going to develop with Oliver given his complicated relationship with that family. Kinda weird that she left town after 2 episodes, but I guess they wanted to go back to the alderman and his scarecrow-wannabe persona.

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be Brother Blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Blood), a cult leader baddie who appeared in the Teen Titans comics.

They pretty much gave that away when they cast him as a character with the name "Sebastian Blood", but he does don the Brother Blood costume in that one short scene in the fourth episode of this season.

I don't know if anyone noticed the little easter egg, but the name of the ship at anchor offshore Oliver's island was named "Amazo", which incidentally is the name of the often-times villain of the Justice League, an android able to replicate the abilities and powers of superheroes and villains who was created by Professor Ivo--the guy running the ship who took Sara under his wing.

---

As for Sara leaving town, I think it makes sense logically for her to do so. She came there to make sure they were safe, but her presence there was actually making them UN-safe. I'm sure she'll be back though. We haven't seen the last of Sara or the "original" Black Canary :)

I think they answered the "powers" question at Comic Con panel, where they said that there won't be anything SUPERNATURAL in this show and they're keeping things more technological and not pushing the envelope much. They want to keep it more character-driven than about who's more powerful than who, etc.

Canary will definitely be back at the end of the season. I'm not sure if they're going to kill her off this season though, but they MIGHT. Depends on how quickly they want Laurel to take up the Canary mask ...

I'm not sure if it was Berlanti or Guggenheim who said it at Comic Con but they said The Flash was going to have an origin episode, s02e20 as a backdoor pilot, and he would be the introduction of powers to the Arrow universe. I am sure they will ground his origin more in science than spilled chemicals and a lightning strike, something tells me this Star Labs reactor they keep referencing will have something to do with it. That being said I can't see them giving someone super speed without it actually being a 'power'. If they try it I can't see it coming off as anything other than ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it was Berlanti or Guggenheim who said it at Comic Con but they said The Flash was going to have an origin episode, s02e20 as a backdoor pilot, and he would be the introduction of powers to the Arrow universe. I am sure they will ground his origin more in science than spilled chemicals and a lightning strike, something tells me this Star Labs reactor they keep referencing will have something to do with it. That being said I can't see them giving someone super speed without it actually being a 'power'. If they try it I can't see it coming off as anything other than ridiculous.

Yeah. But super-speed can easily be grounded in pseudo-science. Just look at humming birds, insects, etc. They can all move extremely fast, so fast we cannot even perceive them sometimes. So that's not really SUPERNATURAL.

I do think they'll add more slowly, but Black Canary's powers seem to be more about training and technology, just like Green Arrow, Malcolm Merlin, etc.

Yeah. But super-speed can easily be grounded in pseudo-science. Just look at humming birds, insects, etc. They can all move extremely fast, so fast we cannot even perceive them sometimes. So that's not really SUPERNATURAL.

I do think they'll add more slowly, but Black Canary's powers seem to be more about training and technology, just like Green Arrow, Malcolm Merlin, etc.

Yeah, The Flash's power's have never been based in the supernatural really, I mean if they go the straight tech way like they did with Canary's cry I think it would come off ridiculous.

Edited by Metabolic XBA

Yeah, I mean The Flash's power's have never been based in the supernatural really, I mean if they go the straight tech way like they did with Canary's cry I think it would come off ridiculous.

I agree. A straight tech Flash would be too close to Cyborg or "The 8-Million Dollar Man" ... LOL

---

Other than the villains they've already introduced/hinted at, I'm still hoping to see:

Count Vertigo, Prometheus, and Dr. Light at some point. Vertigo and Light would make great ONE-off characters for a single-episode villain, though if fans like them, they could always bring them back/have them escape, etc.

But Prometheus is so cool, I'm hoping he shows up in a later season as a major baddie. (The second Prometheus is the best version IMO. I love that he's basically the anti-Batman when it comes to his origin!!)

• 2 weeks later...

This season is shaping up to be fucking amazing. Although they have decided to nix The Flash backdoor pilot and just go straight to a full blown series pilot. Barry is still in episodes 8 and 10 but it could mean they are rethinking the 'powers' making an appearance on the show.

Ollie is finally going to get his mask! (LINK) And it sounds like they are going to introduce it in the least cheesy way possible.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/11/Arrow-Three-Ghosts-610x406.jpg

And they are bringing in Nyssa Al Ghul (LINK) great casting choice to IMO. Just keeps getting better and better.

So that makes three Spartacus alums, who's next. ;)

Dustin Clare as Brick imo, or some other beefy thug, but apparently there's already been a Brick easter egg on the show (as in his name on Arrow's hit list).

To catch up on everything else posted that I haven't commented on.... a mask, yay (how DOES he remove the face paint so fast anyway?), the Flash, yay. Having Barry cameo in the Arrow makes me kinda think Roy will be called Speedy for a while as a sort of joke, depending on whether Barry is actually the Flash at the time or not (although I kind of recall Thea calling him that already?). Hopefully I'm wrong cause Speedy is a dumb name :p As for the rest of the show, I think Dr. Ivo is going to end up using whatever the hell the Japanese super soldier serum is called on Slade when he gets captured, and thus the birth of Deathstroke :D

Edited by Shiftie

Dustin Clare as Brick imo, or some other beefy thug, but apparently there's already been a Brick easter egg on the show (as in his name on Arrow's hit list).

To catch up on everything else posted that I haven't commented on.... a mask, yay (how DOES he remove the face paint so fast anyway?), the Flash, yay. Having Barry cameo in the Arrow makes me kinda think Roy will be called Speedy for a while as a sort of joke, depending on whether Barry is actually the Flash at the time or not (although I kind of recall Thea calling him that already?). Hopefully I'm wrong cause Speedy is a dumb name :p As for the rest of the show, I think Dr. Ivo is going to end up using whatever the hell the Japanese super soldier serum is called on Slade when he gets captured, and thus the birth of Deathstroke :D

As far as I know right now, Barry won't be appearing as The Flash on the show anymore because they gave him his own pilot for his origin. He will just be appearing as Barry Allen, forensic investigator. Although they might work him in there in the future.

Speedy is actually Thea's nickname in the show, both Ollie and Tommy call her it in the first season, maybe Laurel too. I think you might be spot on about Deathstroke though.

Wow the ending of the last episode. Really shocking to see

[spoiler=000] That Malcolm Merlin is still alive and that Thea Queen is his daughter

I'm really curious to see if these revelations turn into anything this season.

[spoiler=0249jf] I really wasn't surprised to see that Malcolm Merlin was still alive, but I was surprised to learn that Thea is his daughter.

That should be interesting in how they handle that.