Far Cry 2: Worth Buying?

SuperNova X2X

Sorry if I blab on for too long :)

With all the hype recently, I have had a very hard time deciding on what games I could get (I was very limited on money you see), so I knew that I would certainly buy Fable 2 and Saints Row 2. But I'm having trouble on what the last game I should get would be.

I feel like I've been pressured into buying Gears 2 this month even though I hated the original and I reallt feel like I should get it or I'll be left out by something. Then I thought abour GH:WT and thought that it seemed like another Rock Band (Which I play alot anyway)

Then I remembered, whatever happened to Far Cry 2? I don't remember alot of hype abput this game and I nearly forgot about it. So I need to know if I am going to enjoy it? I'll ask the questions now before I get carried away :p

1. How does this play compared to the other games? (Such as the single player, map maker)

2. How's the multiplayer side?

3. Should I get a hyped up game or one I nearly forgot existed? (In other words, should I be pressured into buying Gears 2 or go a in a different direction for once?)

Sorry to blab on but I wanted to get my point accross first :D

I haven't played the game yet, but don't you think that once anyone gets Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, or any other big game coming out, they will immediately forget about Far Cry 2? I was considering getting this game, but then I realized it really would only be a two week fix until Gears 2. Just save your money for another two weeks and you'll be much happier.

If you like FPS games you'll like it. There are some things about it that are very different from other FPS. For one, it's very open and you can do whatever you want. That is a good thing to most, however, it's very easy to get sidetracked and forget what you're doing. LOL! Secondly, even though there are vehicles and bus stops in the game for fast travel, it still takes some time to get from point A to point B. So don't go in expecting to whiz through it. It has a slight learning curve and it's not a straight forward story that goes from A to B to C to finish. It's time consuming, but very open allowing you to basically choose which missions or objectives to do and in what order.

Pros:

No loading during the actual game, only when you first start your game

Tons of weapons and upgrades

Tons of missions with moderate variety

Average multi-player, but an amazing map editor which will keep things fresh

Big explosions, amazing attention to detail on physics and visuals

It will take you at least 20+ hours to finish story mode, not counting side quests. Some people may look at this as a good thing, others may get burnt out before they finish it

Cons:

A lot of walking and driving, some people are going to be irritated by this

When walking or driving from mission to mission or anywhere for that matter, you tend to be attacked a lot, this does get annoying on occassion

The game takes a few hours to really get into until the story gets moving and you are able to buy some good weapons and add ons

The game can be very punishing if you just run into enemies like every other FPS (even on normal difficulty), you have to be careful in this game

This is a great game, but I can already tell just from what I've played that it's going to be a love/hate game with most people. I like it a lot, although, there are some things that bug the hell out of me. Some people are really going to hate it cause it's a lot different then a typical FPS. This game gives probably the most freedom I've ever seen in an FPS. Fallout 3 may change that though.

Edited by MrEastSide

I haven't played the game yet, but don't you think that once anyone gets Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, or any other big game coming out, they will immediately forget about Far Cry 2? I was considering getting this game, but then I realized it really would only be a two week fix until Gears 2. Just save your money for another two weeks and you'll be much happier.

Yeah but the single player is really good. I'd say this game is great, it's something you experience, it's not like any other games but it does have flaws in it's basics.

^^^ Not to mention comparing this game to a Call of Duty game makes no sense. This game is pretty open and original. Where every CoD game is essentially the same. World Of War will probably be a 5-6 hour single player campaign. Far Cry 2 takes like, 20 hours just to follow the main story, even longer after all the side quests. I'm much happier with my $60 dollar purchase of Far Cry 2 than I am with any CoD game. Even though the multi-player in part 4 is great, they always cheap out on the single player which I assume will be no different with the new one.

Also, the single player in Gears of War 2 will likely be a 6 hour affair just like the first one. And GoW multi-player is filled with cheap glitches and tons of people who sit and play it 24/7, so even if you do get into a match with nobody glitching you get pounded if you're just a casual player that wants to drop in for a match.

The games coming out this holiday are going to be great, no doubt. But, to say people should forget all about Far Cry 2 is ridiculous. The production of Far Cry 2 is definitely going to be above World of War. I can't believe anyone would even put World of War in the same league as Far Cry. Mindless enemies that constantly respawn to artificially boost the game's difficulty and make it seem longer. We've all seen WWII done to death. Nothing about World of War is going to be original. Everything was yanked from CoD4 and put into WWII settings, Yippee!!! :confused:

In my opinion, this game's not even worth a rental, let alone a buy. All the single player missions are the same - kill this person or destroy this, so it gets boring pretty fast. Then theres the free roam map, which takes forever to get anywhere and you get constantly attacked.

However, the multiplayer is by far the worst feature and I usually would only buy games that have a decent multiplayer that you can revisit. I can only get to EXP 3 cos the sessions keep timing out (host leaving, server problems etc) and then you've gotta wait another 5 min to start playing half a session before that times out as well. It gets pretty irritating.

I am currently playing this game and it's superb the multi-player is just so addictive and the graphics are the best I have ever seen this game is TRULY exceptional.

Totally agree with you. I can't wait to test out the multiplayer! Should be on it in a few hours so it better be worth it.

Edited by SuperNova X2X

Yes! This Game is one of my most favorite for the xbox 360

Has very good gameplay and the map maker is just outragously awsome! and Of course the Scenery and effects of the whole maps is just amazing like windw blowing the fire and stuff like that lighting stuff on fire and watchin it spread with your enimies getting cremated

So far the game starts off a little slow but for any avid FPS lover you will probably benefit from buying this game. I have a list of games i want and i'm getting for christmas but this just isn't on top of the most wanted game list ever.

To be honest, i started out liking this and im around the %20 mark and finding the game some what interesting but im getting a little bored of having to travel so far to do each mission. Also it seems that the AI are super human and can shoot though 3/4 buildings & trees with shotguns and deal the same damage as if you were right in front of them even though there 30ft away. I have also had some issues where there has been no one around i have climbed inside a building and been stood still then the AI comes along even though they can't see me and start shooting though the cover and know where i am without seeing me.

There are a lot of things I don't like in this game so far but i'm sure it will change, the missions are quite interesting though :) I guess they have a lot of bugs to fix. Though as soon as i put the game in i had to update it with some sort of bug fix within 2 days of release not good.

This game is really growing on me, it took some time but now I can see it's brilliance. Had an incredible firefight last night, it was intense, I fired off a rocket at a convoy, which took out one vehicle but spread the fire up the hill towards my position. I had to keep ducking out from a rock and shooting at my enemies while stopping to cut bits of metal out of my leg with a knife. Finally the fight ended and I strolled out onto the smoke covered street, only to be shot at by a guy who had pretended to be dead and had sprung up at the last moment. I put one in his chest and legged it through the jungle. FUN

Definitely one of the very best games of 2008 that I've played so far (still haven't tried Fable 2 or Fallout 3).

I never really feel a craving to play it, but once I start I can't put it down. I've just cleared the entire first map of Diamonds, Safehouses and Outposts, all without a guide. It's actually fun to go out and find the collectibles. The game does it well though, by giving the blinking green light, the number of diamonds per section of the map, and marking where you got each one. Plus, getting diamonds, acquiring save points, and knowing what items are at the outposts are actual useful things to do.

I have about 15 hours with only playing 3 or 4 main missions. It's also probably about 20 hours, from reloading saves... no, replaying the stuff I already did never gets frustrating.

This game is a must buy at some point for everyone, but obviously you have to choose between the huge amount of great games out right now.

Edited by Blackjaw x