Subscriber Spotlight - February 2013

jackanape

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/guides/0-subspotlight.jpg

Hello there sports fans - yes, it's that time of month again where we draw back the imposing veil of secrecy (patent pending) on one of our lovely site subscribers and/or staff.

Luckily though this months candidate fits into both categories, saving me the need to carry out a hideous Frankenstein style experiement where I have to surgically attach various parts in order to be satisfied with the end product. In laymans terms that means less wear and tear on scalpels, less bickering with my hunchbacked assistant and a higher standard of living amongst the local townsfolk.

I doubt the torch and pitchfork sales community will thank me though, but a minor economic hit is just one of those things. AMIRITE?!

Anyway, our worthy Spotlightee (my word - claimed it) is none other than forum ninja and all around badass

Shinobi273. So grab yourself a comfy chair and let his words of wisdom wash over your soul like a calming river.

What first brought you to x360a, and then what made you stick around and subscribe?

According to the search, I first came for help with LEGO Star Wars II in December 2006 but stayed around for Forza Motorsport 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I’m not sure when I started to subscribe but I wanted to help out the site that I was spending so much time on.

How did you come up with your gamertag?

Shinobi273 is a fairly old name I would use for Counter Strike 1.5. I prefer stealth approaches so I went with shinobi. The number was something I could remember because it is used often in chemisty.

Is the 360 your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?

The 360 is the only one I use, I have a Wii as well. I started out with a SNES and had an N64 as well. After Nintendo dropped out, the Xbox was a natural choice. Nothing against Sony really but I have trouble switching button layouts between games so going between physical controllers is beyond me.

What is your gaming setup?

TV, Xbox360, Kinect, Wii, and couch.

When you're picking the next game to grace your console, do you go for game play or achievements first?

Both, poor gameplay or achievements and I’m not interested. I have a limited budget of money and time and can’t be bothered if a game is weak in either.

Everyone has a 360 game they can't get enough of, what’s yours?

I suppose it would be Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers. I have played every release on XBLA and every DLC except the deck expansions. I prefer blue decks to control the pace of the game. My favorite deck in 2013 is Crosswinds which with a proper combination of cards (there are several) allows you to prevent it from being your opponent’s turn for the duration of the game.

And the game that makes you scream?

Geometry Wars Evolved, I cannot get 1,000,000 without dying. The little pink squares, green squares, snakes, black holes, red chargers… they are all merciless in their pursuit. I tried for months and will probably go back to it for more.

What achievement(s) are you most proud of?

Armored Core 4’s Mission Rank SS was a nice achievement, requiring an S rank every mission in the game. Tetris Evolution’s Score Gold Medal and Hexic HD’s Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah are also proud moments.

We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?

Just Diet Pepsi, it has the sweetness that I like. Other drinks are too sweet or not sweet enough, I’ll leave it at that.

You've played through a lot of games during that time. Out of all of the games you played, which was your favorite?

Rainbow Six Vegas games are a nice favorite, I love t-hunting. They have great customization; I usually go with medium/light armor, flashbangs, smoke, and silenced MTAR with laser sight. My signature last enemy move is to flashbang him and take out my USP (with laser sight) for a point blank execution.

Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?

Fighting games are not something I do well at. My technique is button mash until the match is over.

Everyone has their games that they just struggle with. Which games did your head in?

Texas Hold’em has an achievement Luck of the Draw that requires that you get every type of hand from high card to royal flush. It was a nice grind to get that one to pop. It was a great excuse to learn some basic hold’em poker playing.

Not every game with quick points is easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?

Kameo: Elements of Power, it’s impossible to get an A Ranking in those levels. Gears of War Seriously will probably never get done since the spawns are so limited.

What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Was it worth it?

The last thing I bought was Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 and I love it.

Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?

Star Wars 1313 looked like it could be awesome. For games with dates, I would say Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!

If I could do anything at all regardless of how possible or realistic, I would get Microsoft to let me play test the new xbox and the likely exclusive Bungie launch title.

Any final comments?

Be sure to check out my Staff Challenge: Shinobi273's Shadow Warrior to see if you have what it takes to be a ghost. (Editors note: the Staff Challenges are en route soon - but I thought a little tease would be awesome.)

Edited by jackanape

I know the link doesn't work yet - ha ha. That's why I put in the note. Once the clubs are active it will work just fine though, boo yah!

Also, I've just realised that he skipped the first question about indroducing himself. If he comes back in here and gives me an answer then I shall post it up, ha!

Edited by jackanape

Shinobi is a ninja, one day BAM!, he's on my friend's list from nowhere. LoL

Seriously, nice spotlight. I still haven't purchased the 2013 Magic yet -.- but I still have Magic: The Gathering (DotP) along with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, if you fancy something besides Mass Effect 3 sometime. Love terrorist hunting!

http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/elmer-fudd.jpg

"Shh. Be very, very quiet. I'm hunting terrorists. <insert Elmer Fudd laugh here>"

:p

Edited by Grifter Reborn

A very interesting read as always. I'm with you on your love for T-hunting. I still think that series brags gaming's best enemy reactions to being flashbanged. That last terrorist though. Poor guy. :(

:p

Thank you. I was about to pull out the periodic table to see just what isotope was 273. It would have to something that mankind willed into existence...

I was about to do the same thing myself. Although on the hunt for an atomic mass rather than proton number.

I was about to do the same thing myself. Although on the hunt for an atomic mass rather than proton number.

I was originally thinking it was an isotope of plutonium, but Uranium is only in the 230's so that didn't make sense.

Not only do these interviews give us valuable insight into our fellow community members, but they also spur independant research.

I know the link doesn't work yet - ha ha. That's why I put in the note. Once the clubs are active it will work just fine though, boo yah!

I thought it was a nice plug.

Also, I've just realised that he skipped the first question about indroducing himself. If he comes back in here and gives me an answer then I shall post it up, ha!

Welcome to the spotlight! Introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Is not a question.

Grifter! Maybe we can do the weekly challenge first.

Also, 273 Kelvin is the triple point of water.

T-hunts! Yes. The signature move is something one needs. How else would you end a match? Just shoot at them like the others?

Edited by Shinobi273

nice interview! i dont think we've ever actually spoke, but a great read none the less.:)

i wonder what the staff challenges are gonna be. sounds interesting...