Mr. Chau?

Because it requires a certain level of skill and luck to unlock.

I don't buy that as their reasoning or as any reasoning. I firmly believe most of the time a dev does not think of how to make achievements hard. When they do it fits into the norm of: beating a game without dying or continuing or with out any upgrades or powerups. The most logical things...

This to me is something they thought would either be cool or quickly thought up. Any time probability is used in an achievement is a bit overkill.

Since you can do this with cheats or on any setting skill is hardly involved. I mean isnt that what most of us do when it comes to unlocking an achievement? We take the easiest road? Kinda defeats their true purpose in a who's who generation of achievement achievers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy that as their reasoning or as any reasoning. I firmly believe most of the time a dev does not think of how to make achievements hard. When they do it fits into the norm of: beating a game without dying or continuing or with out any upgrades or powerups. The most logical things...

This to me is something they thought would either be cool or quickly thought up. Any time probability is used in an achievement is a bit overkill.

Since you can do this with cheats or on any setting skill is hardly involved. I mean isnt that what most of us do when it comes to unlocking an achievement? We take the easiest road? Kinda defeats their true purpose in a who's who generation of achievement achievers.

That's a whole lot of words to say: "I can't unlock it so it sucks."

luck isn't real dude its all probability

You're lucky if the probabilty lines up as such that you're not low on health when he appears. And you're also lucky if the game doesn't freeze while you're fighting him (as mine did).

The times I have managed to unlock Mr. Chau, what I did was replay the Todd boss fight over and over - it's quick (especially at 100 str), you get 20 bucks and an extra life. Usually after the 2nd or 3rd defeat he's popped on the map, and I've done it a couple times.

Obviously no guarantee it'll work for everyone, but, that's my method.

You're a life-saver, dude. This worked on the 3rd go against Todd. And since i can't unlock it, so it sucks, i beat it on the hardest setting without getting hit and with no cheats...(t-hybrid).

There is no such thing as luck. Its variance and probability that determine what you are trying to defend as, "luck."

You're a life-saver, dude. This worked on the 3rd go against Todd. And since i can't unlock it, so it sucks, i beat it on the hardest setting without getting hit and with no cheats...(t-hybrid).

Wow...take it personally much? And apparently you're no longer acting like this achievement sucks and the game is broken and the makers should apologize to you. Likely because you've unlocked it now so all's good.

I see it all the time. Achievements are the worst thing ever until the person unlocks them, then suddenly they're no problem and the world goes on as if it never happened.

There is no such thing as luck. Its variance and probability that determine what you are trying to defend as, "luck."

Wow, I realize the cliche about "Winners make their own luck" and all that good stuff....but man, talk about driving it home ad nauseum here.

I'll tell you what luck is. Good luck is having your console locking freeze come just after the game has saved your progress. Bad luck (which I had) is having it come just as the Mr. Chau battle starts.

Good luck is what you call it when favorable probabilities start paying off for you. Bad luck is what you call it when unfavorable probabilities start piling up against you.

Clear? Good? Is this stupid semantics bru-ha-ha over now?

Edited by T-Hybrid

I'll tell you what luck is. Good luck is having your console locking freeze come just after the game has saved your progress. Bad luck (which I had) is having it come just as the Mr. Chau battle starts.

Good luck is what you call it when favorable probabilities start paying off for you. Bad luck is what you call it when unfavorable probabilities start piling up against you.

Clear? Good? Is this stupid semantics bru-ha-ha over now?

i hate to still be dragging this out but "luck" is a word/thing that humanity created to have something to believe in(we depend to much on non-existent things as a species)

and i still havent found mr. chau sadly... will try later today...again

The times I have managed to unlock Mr. Chau, what I did was replay the Todd boss fight over and over - it's quick (especially at 100 str), you get 20 bucks and an extra life. Usually after the 2nd or 3rd defeat he's popped on the map, and I've done it a couple times.

Obviously no guarantee it'll work for everyone, but, that's my method.

This worked like a charm! I had already played through the game three times and Chau was still a no show. Then I tried your method and right after my third battle with Todd, there was Chau! Excellent find my friend, was really getting worried he wasn't gunna show up for me.

This worked like a charm! I had already played through the game three times and Chau was still a no show. Then I tried your method and right after my third battle with Todd, there was Chau! Excellent find my friend, was really getting worried he wasn't gunna show up for me.

No problem, glad it helped.

A)Luck can be used to describe something that happened past tense. i.e. I was "lucky" I was "unlucky", however describing future tense as "I will be lucky" is stupid. Ignoring the ability to be lucky or not in the past tense is stupid.

B)Anyway, with that said, does anyone have a screenshot of Mr. Chau on the map, so I know what to be looking for? :-)

I just found and defeated him last night and here's how he showed up for me:

After clearing the game with Scott on Average Joe difficulty i maxed out his stats and then collected around $600. I then started a 2-player game on Average Joe difficulty again with Scott as P1 and Kim as P2 with the intent to transfer the $600 to Kim and then transfer that back to my main on another character (Ramona, Kim, Stills) to make the next playthrough quicker. As soon as i started up that 2-player game Mr. Chau was sitting right there at the Chaos Theater.

It definitely looks to be a random occurance for him to appear but there very well may be some prerequisites for it to happen as well.

B)Anyway, with that said, does anyone have a screenshot of Mr. Chau on the map, so I know what to be looking for? :-)

I don't have a screen, but it's a guy dressed in black that's about the size of your character's icon on the map. He stands on top of the level icon, so you'll know he's there when the normally yellow spot on the map is black.

I have Mr. Chau, I got him when playing as Kim. Do I have him unlocked for everyone or will I have to use Kim to get the Chaudown achievement?

Have to use Kim, you unlock him only for the character you fought him with.

I will try to see about getting the method I posted added to the achievement guide.

btw people, it's easier to make him appear if you fight a boss, like don't quit out of the stage, I had him appear 3 times in my game, 1st time fail, other 2 times I beat him, I'm just wondering, does he need to be beat by each character? And what about Mrs Chau? does she have to be summoned by each character? I'll like to know as I'm for working on this achievement soon.

It also wasn't Todd it was Lucas Lee on hardest mode, and Ninja girl was my second.

Also, I was getting Kim's last move, and before I went into the forest level I got a glimpse of another figure on the map. Since I already have Mr. Chau I'm just wondering if he shows up again? Or if it's a different character?

I got him at that time too, and you don't needa worry, he's shown up 3 times for me, if you get defeated first time, you can always try getting him appearing again.

Edited by TakahashiDemon