I'm giving in, Capcom you're really starting to dissapoint me.

Sorry Delta, maybe if you weren't so anti-consumerist and boner happy for Cappy the discussion would be worth continuing, but you're so deluded by what you want to believe that what anyone else believes just doesn't matter. I figured telling you anything would be akin to talking to a brick wall, and that's fine, but I'll leave it at that.

No but you are making insinuations that the DLC content is not developed at the same time as the main game. Others are saying it is and they hold it back.

Can you show that you are right, or is this just something you know?

I can't SHOW how game development works. Mind you, multiple various developers have said the EXACT same thing I'm saying but people choose to doubt it, that's just how it is. Whereas people can EASILY prove whether the content was ALWAYS intended to be included

by simply providing the source of where they were told or heard this. Because you can't just suddenly have that specific knowledge. As opposed to ANYONE who has ever worked on a game and DLC would know what I'm saying. Albeit the closest I can do to prove that is point to other interviews that people simply discredit anyways as a developer trying to "save face".

Not everyone has the ability to get DLC. For most of the world, a credit card of some type is required. Plus, if they did cut the ending for content(I have no idea, never even heard of the game), that sets a bad precedent for future games. As everything thing else in the world, the costs of gaming will only rise in the future(Resources, bla, bla).
Microsoft point cards are an answer to not having a credit card - even then, yes, not ALL content can be played by everyone... rumor is the new systems may require online connectivity - PC has done so for quite awhile. The industry has moved beyond trying to cater for everyone. It's unfortunate but it is what it is there.

I think what a lot of the anti-DLC stems from is that before the days of DLC, all the little extras, weapons, costumes, etc. were added into games for free as bonus content. Beat game on hard, or this way, etc. This game in particular had bonuses, but you had to pre-order the limited edition. I think people just miss the times of when gaming was not yet a multi-billion dollar industry(Waaaay back in the day).

I understand that but - if the game is being balanced correctly - those small extras usually consist on simply cosmetics. Again, nothing relevant that it NEEDED to be an unlockable from the get go. But I do understand the frustration over the smaller items/pre-orders and would agree it's more unnecessary than anything else. But that is a different discussion - the focus of this one is this Campaign, itself.

Sorry Delta, maybe if you weren't so anti-consumerist and boner happy for Cappy the discussion would be worth continuing, but you're so deluded by what you want to believe that what anyone else believes just doesn't matter. I figured telling you anything would be akin to talking to a brick wall, and that's fine, but I'll leave it at that.

LOL - that's funny. But no, maybe if some people just didn't like to complain for the sake of complaining - they could figure some of this out on their own. It's an add on that no one said would be free nor part of the main game. You have no argument.

Microsoft point cards are an answer to not having a credit card - even then, yes, not ALL content can be played by everyone... rumor is the new systems may require online connectivity - PC has done so for quite awhile. The industry has moved beyond trying to cater for everyone. It's unfortunate but it is what it is there.

O, I know. If the next gen systems are DDL only and require a connection, I am done with gaming. I have bills, mortgage, loans to pay and my gaming budget is quite low. I rent 99% of everything I play, because for the same cost of buying two games a year, I can rent 15-20. This is good for me, because I rarely play a game more than one rent session. Most games are not good enough to warrant what they cost, honestly.

With the next gen systems being DDL, it would not be worth it to even purchase one, as I would only be able to afford a game or two a year. Not worth it for me.

Gaming is heading to the wealthy sector, it people like me are just left to be ignored. O well, always new hobbies.

No but you are making insinuations that the DLC content is not developed at the same time as the main game. Others are saying it is and they hold it back.

Can you show that you are right, or is this just something you know?

Not everyone has the ability to get DLC. For most of the world, a credit card of some type is required. Plus, if they did cut the ending for content(I have no idea, never even heard of the game), that sets a bad precedent for future games. As everything thing else in the world, the costs of gaming will only rise in the future(Resources, bla, bla).

I think what a lot of the anti-DLC stems from is that before the days of DLC, all the little extras, weapons, costumes, etc. were added into games for free as bonus content. Beat game on hard, or this way, etc. This game in particular had bonuses, but you had to pre-order the limited edition. I think people just miss the times of when gaming was not yet a multi-billion dollar industry(Waaaay back in the day).

So you havent even played the game yet you are commenting on the ending which you are wrong about, just like the other guys post was wrong,alot of games leave there endings open for sequels,and i agree not everyone can get dlc but in this case the story is so spratic in chapters the dlc does not mean a lick of difference it was nothing major to the story line, and dude i live in Australia we get the arse end of the deal on everything gaming related eg full price tittles are minimum$100, and we have the prepaid msp cards and if we get that would mean most places can get them. next time before you comment maybe have played the game 1st so you know what ur on about.

So you havent even played the game yet you are commenting on the ending which you are wrong about, just like the other guys post was wrong,alot of games leave there endings open for sequels,and i agree not everyone can get dlc but in this case the story is so spratic in chapters the dlc does not mean a lick of difference it was nothing major to the story line, and dude i live in Australia we get the arse end of the deal on everything gaming related eg full price tittles are minimum$100, and we have the prepaid msp cards and if we get that would mean most places can get them. next time before you comment maybe have played the game 1st so you know what ur on about.

"Not everyone has the ability to get DLC. For most of the world, a credit card of some type is required. Plus, if they did cut the ending for content(I have no idea, never even heard of the game), that sets a bad precedent for future games. As everything thing else in the world, the costs of gaming will only rise in the future(Resources, bla, bla). "

Did you miss that word? No where did I say I knew this for a fact. I said IF, then I went on to say why, even if I was wrong about the game, it was a bad precedent, then I even stated that I have never played the game.

"Not everyone has the ability to get DLC. For most of the world, a credit card of some type is required. Plus, if they did cut the ending for content(I have no idea, never even heard of the game), that sets a bad precedent for future games. As everything thing else in the world, the costs of gaming will only rise in the future(Resources, bla, bla). "

Did you miss that word? No where did I say I knew this for a fact. I said IF, then I went on to say why, even if I was wrong about the game, it was a bad precedent, then I even stated that I have never played the game.

Which really goes to prove how much of a jerk you r commenting on things you know nothing about, why would you comment at all knowing nothing about what ur talking about, plus u stated you have never heard of the game,WTF its cause you live under a bridge troll. dickheads like you forget 1 thing they are companys trying to make money not a fuckn goodwill orginisation to give shit away for free, its this simple if you dont think dlc is worth paying for dont fucking buy it. would you prefer these companys all went under and wel have no good devs making good games left at all.

I really don't care, that much. I've just recently changed my gaming practices; before I'd buy every game I was interested in (very fortunate in that regard, I'm not rich, but I've never had to budget) and then the DLC for my favorites. Now, I only buy the games I feel like getting 100% in. Before, I'd have up to seven games on the go at one time (not all new releases, and not all on the same platform), now I'm limiting myself to four. Once I 100% one, including all the DLC released up to that point, I can start looking into buying another game.

Anyway, pointlessly long back-story aside; I'll still be buying this DLC. Do I think it's shady? Fuck yes, but at the end of the day, I still like Capcom and their games.

So, I was one of the people who was trying to support this game since it came out, mainly because I am a big fan of Capcom, plus I did enjoy the game and thought it was nice they were adding a "Free" DLC. Well everyone was saying oh, it's not going to be free just wait, and they were right. That's a dirty little thing they did there. Telling us they're going to release the other side of the campaign as DLC for free, and we come to find out only 1 chapter is free. It's pretty sad, and as much as I want to I just can't support them on this anymore. Everything they've released as DLC is kind of obvious that it was in the game beforehand. Don't comment saying "Blame Slant Six" because I enjoy the game, I don't like that Capcom is releasing the content as paid DLC that should have came with the game. Just a rant

Most of these video game development companies like Capcom and such have seen the avenue of 'DLC' as a quick and easy cash grab. They purposley leave out content and then release it a few weeks after the game has been released in the form of 'DLC' and make you shell out around 800MS points for it.

It's dodgy, yes. But it's just the way it is nowdays. Accept it.

Most of these video game development companies like Capcom and such have seen the avenue of 'DLC' as a quick and easy cash grab. They purposley leave out content and then release it a few weeks after the game has been released in the form of 'DLC' and make you shell out around 800MS points for it.

It's dodgy, yes. But it's just the way it is nowdays. Accept it.

No. This is most end users view of how companies see DLC and how they nickle and dime everything. But there is no fact behind your statement with the few examples of actual developer saying, "Oh, I did that on my game. Why not?" - but one bad egg doesn't spoil the whole lot of them and people need to stop looking at it like that.

Nothing in this game was "left out" per the original introduction of the game and what the user would encounter playing it. So assuming otherwise is just flat out wrong without some support to back it up.

Most companies see DLC as a way to expand the life cycle of the game. People buy it, people like it, people want more. Is DLC bad or shady? God no. Especially in a society where it is becoming more common practice to re-release the same title with minor tweaks every single year for $60. That's absurd. More so when they also are releasing paid DLC for that title on a regular (or semi-regular) basis leading to the next game. That's money-grabbing.

And I'm not talking about the one-shot 'Special Editions' or 'Game of the Years' or 'Ultimate'. I'm talking about the flat out - here's another 4 hour Campaign and new maps/kill streaks/altered weapons... btw, for $15 you can now buy 5 maps from the last game we hope you also bought.

DLC is a good thing because companies that use it correctly to expand the experience aren't misusing it. ORC didn't promise a Spec Ops Campaign would be in the game when it was released. They did promise to make one as DLC and offer the first chapter free - which they did.

No. This is most end users view of how companies see DLC and how they nickle and dime everything. But there is no fact behind your statement with the few examples of actual developer saying, "Oh, I did that on my game. Why not?" - but one bad egg doesn't spoil the whole lot of them and people need to stop looking at it like that.

Nothing in this game was "left out" per the original introduction of the game and what the user would encounter playing it. So assuming otherwise is just flat out wrong without some support to back it up.

Most companies see DLC as a way to expand the life cycle of the game. People buy it, people like it, people want more. Is DLC bad or shady? God no. Especially in a society where it is becoming more common practice to re-release the same title with minor tweaks every single year for $60. That's absurd. More so when they also are releasing paid DLC for that title on a regular (or semi-regular) basis leading to the next game. That's money-grabbing.

And I'm not talking about the one-shot 'Special Editions' or 'Game of the Years' or 'Ultimate'. I'm talking about the flat out - here's another 4 hour Campaign and new maps/kill streaks/altered weapons... btw, for $15 you can now buy 5 maps from the last game we hope you also bought.

DLC is a good thing because companies that use it correctly to expand the experience aren't misusing it. ORC didn't promise a Spec Ops Campaign would be in the game when it was released. They did promise to make one as DLC and offer the first chapter free - which they did.

Come on dude, wake up to yourself.

Come on dude, wake up to yourself.

Come on dude, learn about something before you criticize it or make false claims.

Seriously, you can moan and complain all day and all night but it doesn't make you right. And if you dislike it - don't buy it. But don't call every company evil simply because they're willing to spend time and money to release more content that you CAN buy as an extra. They aren't forcing you. It shouldn't have any effect on the overall game to you in the end but people make it out to be so much more than it is when they have the option to just ignore it and not buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

You would have to admit though that it's a bit strange (to say the least) that dlc is announced before the game is even out.. Ever since this new 'Call Of Duty Generation' has infested xbox live companies have turned to more quick money methods rather than quality games and loyalty to their fans.

I've noticed many new changes to the video game world in the last year or so... like: these new 'online passes', announcing dlc before the game is out, that dlc then get's put onto the market place a week to month later after the game hits, what the hell is up with that? Let's not forget the awesome giving exclusive content away on the market place like preoder bonuses and limited edition content, what a slap in the face.. and now the 'unlocks' on discs. I myself am not completely affected negatively to the point to cry about it, but it sure as hell has been annoying.

Let me emphasize that this is my opinion and stating things from experience and observations IS completely what everyone is entitled to.... Personally I think (notice “I think”) that the whole unlocks on disc is a somewhat money scam. I first experienced this with Gears Of War 3, but it's probably happened before I just didn't notice/remember. My first reaction of the locked content on disc was; “hmm seems weird that 5 multiplayer maps would be 100 kbs”, after talking to my brother we determined that the content is already on disc your just getting a “key” to unlock it, what would be the reasoning for this? And why now? And why only the first dlc? With an example like Gears Of War they were already done with the first few dlcs (including the free one ) before the game released, and don't the season pass seem like a jolly great idea to make even more cash? :D yeah let's see.... a couple of lame weapon skins a little bit of a touch up on the colors of already released characters and then calling them “new costumes/skins” just because of ooh I don't know slightly bluer pants or a shade darker clothes and some of those characters were preorder bonuses and the whole thrash ball Cole special unlock was a huge disappointment.. and oh yeaah remakes of maps I bought on gears 1 and 2. Damn it must have taken epic forever to create huh?

The sad thing about so called dlc of this time, is the quality has gone down, you get more glitchy bugged filled dlc that's rushed, no patches to follow and it's overpriced.. You get what? a FRACTION compared to the game when you buy dlc, but yet you pay close to 10-25% of the original game price. I've never really had problems with dlc or pricing/paying and don't get me wrong I've brought 100's of dlcs, all because I have to get everything for games that I love-(which is most)

The worse part about it is I've been a loyal hardcore fan of many of my favorite game companies and series/franchises, some over 10 years now and it's sick to see some of them turn to the Activision way by beating the cash cow to the bone.

Good grief does Deltakappaecho work for capcom? I have never seen such cheerleading for a company and defending of ridiculous things.

Firstly the specs ops 'DLC' was at the very least finished by the end of January. As proven by 360a itself. The entire campaigns achievements were already fully implemented and this only happens when something is finished. You can't simply press the jewel button and see achievements on unfinished games. So two months before the games release and at least a month before it went gold this content was already finished.

Considering games are usually only finished around a month before release (you stated 3 months! LOL!) they were clearly ready. If you want proof games finish a month before release. Halo 3 went gold in August 2007 and was released September 2007. That is also a game where MILLIONS of copies had to be ready first day. For smaller titles they can actually only leave a few weeks as long as everything has been well scheduled.

Also the DLC was clearly not intended to be included with the game as Capcom love to rip people off. However I would say it was advertised to be included in the game and considering it is vital to the 'story' of the game, was planned to be removed and sold separately on purpose. When I say it was advertised to be in the game what I mean is some of the trailers for RE:ORC make it seem like the SPEC OPS are also main characters. Which to me implies they will have a campaign.

You keep stating you know the industry but you clearly have no knowledge of it at all. Heck you don't even realise that MvC3 and SFxT have the full characters on disc. Capcom itself came forth and admitted this, users have unlocked them and their FULL movesets are in place etc.

Oh and you are right. The game was reviewed on what was released..... and got dreadful reviews as well as comments about the short campaign.

It kinda is the future of gaming though. Take a look at Skylanders. This is how bad some games are now by the time you have bought every mod on that game you could have bought a brand new xbox with a pack of games and everything else. This is the price of 1 game which is an absolute rip off, and it was targetting a very vulnerable market. Also with some online browser games, you could have bought a house or a car worth of game items just to compete against a computer or their admins while playing their games. This kinda of stuff should be policed as it is unethical by any standards, I hope the world will grow up. Though it seems like some idot will always pay, just like the 10,000 quid app an app for phones priced at 10,000 quid which doesn't do much else.

Expansion like these, which some more content should have been incorporated into a rather medicore game by any standards. It was a rip off to the resident evil brand and has cashed in on its success. I'm not paying 20 quid more for crap....

Edited by Shabba

• 1 month later...

Not that I am defending this game. But I do agree with your sentiment about DLC. People look at it pretty harshly but there are some developers out there who do it splendidly. Rockstar comes to mind, so does Bethesda. Capcom though really gives it a bad name.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys i read the whole thing(yes it was long) and all of you forgot one specific point... PRICE DROPS !

I rented ORC when it was release... i usually don't do that(renting) cause im slow at doing game, i play an hour a day, take my time, im more a versus guy, so what i do usually is buy the big multiplayer hit(GOW, COD etc) and wait for the other games til they are 10-15$ cause i don't feel a 8 hour campaign is worth putting 60$ on... only to try to sell it 2 months later and they will give you 15-20$ at best. But ORC it was a RE, i wanted to do it, but i knew the i would hate the MP(and i did) but wanted to do the campaign so i rent for a week, cost 10 bucks, and guess what, i had time to complete it(the story i mean, not the GS) and for me that was pretty much it with this game. Now im waiting for it to drop at a small price so i can add it to my RE collection... BUT i want to do the DLC right? More achievements, new story and all. But look at this... i will pay the DLC a full 800 x2(or 1200, not sure how the dlc cost) just for the DLC, wich will be around 30$ when i will have paid the full game 15$...

They push DLC these days because DLC pretty much never drop price, exeption of DOTW that last only a week, just a way to force you to buy when your not really ready, but you say to yourself... oh ill save some bucks so you buy. You end up like me having DLC i never did because i haven't even started the main game... So they sell DLC at a full price that never drop when the game itself drop.

I love achievements, but i feel those DLC add on with achievements are probably the worst scam lately with all these online pass and disc locked content and such...

Look at back then, major MP games had DLC but it was worth it, the game where popular, and it gave us stuff to enjoy again our game. GOW1 was a brillant exemple, they gave us 2 maps free so we had something fun and new while waiting for the DLC, then they released it 4 MAPS/800 pts wich is very fair. They even gave it for free once the game was old and washed up, i didn't have any problem with that cause it was old. And the game capped at 1250 GS

But do you see this these days? Hell no, they make DLC faster than lightning, even EPIC that i praised for GOW1 above released 1 locked on disc content, and all of there DLC in the first 6 months or the game release... I brough season pass cause i love GOW, but damn please can i get tired of playing the same maps before you release new ones? I mean all these 2 maps in just 6 months? Thats dumb. They should had wait til like now to release the second DLC... but no wait, righ the next game is already schedule for a release in march or april... hell not even a year and a half after the release of the previous one... TSSSSS

Or look at COD, biggest money scam, i counted that and if i wanted all achievements for the game, i would had to pay over 60$ worth of DLC... so the price of the full game, only to have maps that would be useless to be in a couple months because the one will be out and a couple of specs ops i would mainly do only because i want the achievements... I had 1000 in both COD4 and COD6, but this time i was like "screw it" , i don't play enough COD online to be worth spending 60$ on DLC... hell no game should have you pay 60$ for DLC that will be worth only a year of play... If a COD life spam would be 2 or 3 years then maybe... but its already enough we have to pay 60$ every year for 4 hour 20 mins campaign(i took my time...) and a multiplayer map pack with a slight update from the previous game...

Back then DLC meant something, these days even sideline game that are not meant to be big have DLC... just to make you keep them instead of selling and making you buy the full price DLC

And as for stores, im for the used game market, thats how stores make there money and thats how they manage to offer a wide variety, cause if stores would be just like toy r us or whatever place they sell only new game, we wouldn't had a choice like we have now of buying old games and such. Yeah they can be griddy when paying back a game to a consumer, but you have to sell it quick after the game is release, cause if its worth 25$ they wont give you much cause they need to make money out of them.

Personally thats why i hate online pass wich is trying to kill used game market and if the next gen is DDL only, there is a big possibility i will stop gaming also. I own a great collection of games, i still have all my old resident evil on shelves, and im glad i can plug my old dreamcast and play them if i want to... With the xbox, if you change xbox, you can not even play your OWN DLC unless your connected or you do a liscence transpher... SO if in 10 years my xbox break, i get a new one, i could maybe not be able to play again as liscence transpher may not be avalaible for older stuff anymore... So thats why i hate this. Its like music or movies, i never paid for a download, either i buy in store a boxed version, or i download it free from torrents.

And im not really a renter, i think in the last year i rented 2 games... but DDL would also kill the renting game industry, wich would suck. Think about it, would rent a game like SKYRIM? no unless you just want to try it because its too big, too long, so if a developer put effort to make a great game, people will buy it. But a small 8 hour campaign, anybody can do that in a week if they like gaming, so of course they will go for a rent.

• 3 months later...
So, I was one of the people who was trying to support this game since it came out, mainly because I am a big fan of Capcom, plus I did enjoy the game and thought it was nice they were adding a "Free" DLC. Well everyone was saying oh, it's not going to be free just wait, and they were right. That's a dirty little thing they did there. Telling us they're going to release the other side of the campaign as DLC for free, and we come to find out only 1 chapter is free. It's pretty sad, and as much as I want to I just can't support them on this anymore. Everything they've released as DLC is kind of obvious that it was in the game beforehand. Don't comment saying "Blame Slant Six" because I enjoy the game, I don't like that Capcom is releasing the content as paid DLC that should have came with the game. Just a rant

I agree completly you point of view...