What sort of achievement hunter are you?

Fragarach Luin

What is your standard of success in achievement hunting?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is your standard of success in achievement hunting?

• The amount of Gamerscore, pure and simple
    • The completion percentage
    • The completion percentage, but only of quality games
    • The amount of Gamerscore, but only of quality games

The more I use this website, the more I realize that different people have different benchmarks for success when it comes to achievement hunting.

There are those who value extremely high gamerscore, regardless of completion percentage or the quality of games played. Avatar: TBE? Check. My Horse and Me 2? Of course. Assassin's Creed 2? Everything but the feathers isn't bad.

Then there's the opposite; people who care less about their total gamerscore, but you'll find nary a game that isn't perfected on their card. These people may or may not play good games, but they become intimately familiar with every one.

And of course, there are the two in-betweener categories. Maybe ease of completion isn't the most important to you when deciding which game to buy, but you know you'll try to complete it. Maybe Gamerscore is very important to you, but not so important that you'll play a pile of crap for it.

So what's the verdict? Is high gamerscore more important than completion percentage? Is this poll worth doing? I know my opinion, and I can tell you now that if every user on this site disagrees with me, it won't mean a hill of beans. But maybe this'll be an interesting discussion.

Anyway, I'm off to keep trying to perfect Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It's only 200 :gsicon:, but having that completion is, to me, worth more than 1000 completed Avatars. In case anyone was wondering my opinion.

Edited by Fragarach Luin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm less interested in the quality of games completed, since arguing which games are quality will quickly deviate this thread from its purpose. My main question is the Gamerscore versus completion question. Obviously, you're okay with completing objectively bad games for gamerscore, so the latter two options in the poll don't apply to you. The question remains, though, whether you prefer completion or points.

I like having a high gamerscore, playing a ton of games, and not caring in the slightest about my completion percent. Mine is somewhere in the 30% range I think but its just a number that doesn't influence whether or not I play a game or finish it.

If theres a game i'm playing that I love and want to continue playing after I beat it, I will do so and go for more achievements. If the game is decent, i'm fine with beating it through on normal or hard and not going any further with 500-700 GS out of it.

Most importantly if its a game I hate, I wont continue playing it and move on, regardless if i've only unlocked a small amount of achievements for it. I think some people forget the entire concept of what gaming it should be, and I will never understand why people buy DLC for games they hate to begin with to maintain a percentage. Or wont play a good game at all because 100% completion is unobtainable.

I game for fun, I play what I enjoy. The gamerscore just comes along the way as I enjoy the many experiences. To each their own, but I personally will never become a completion oriented gamer.

Completion for me, its at 98% and I never really expected it to get that high. There was a point where it became solely gamerscore with the intent on finishing every game to 1000, but some of them I just couldn't do. I can't remember all of them, but Batman AA was one that kicked my ass :(

Amount of gamerscore, but completions are certainly great. I want both. I hate games with unobtainable GS but if I can get an easy 850+ from a game, I'll play it. I have a lot of games on my checklist that I need to go back and complete or at least mop up everything I can get. I'd like to have a completion percentage above 80%. My goal right now is to get to 50,000:gsicon: by the end of 2013. Considering I'm only going to be halfway there with two months left, I doubt I'll reach it, but I didn't even have 1000:gsicon: total until May, so I've already made a lot of progress since then and especially since I got Gamefly a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I gave up gaming for about two years between summer 2011 and summer 2013 or I'd probably be hovering somewhere around 200,000:gsicon:. Can't believe I wasted all that time, so I'm trying to make up for it now.

Edited by BitterMelonFarm

Completion for me, its at 98% and I never really expected it to get that high. There was a point where it became solely gamerscore with the intent on finishing every game to 1000, but some of them I just couldn't do. I can't remember all of them, but Batman AA was one that kicked my ass :(

Really? You should definitely steer clear of AC and AO. Although awesome, they are tough. I'm a very experienced Arkham player, but I still find some of those predator challenges difficult.

I fall into a hybrid group.

I am really into making my gamerscore grow to large numbers. Gonna hit 200k in a little over a week and I will just keep going. The amount of time I put into it is what will wain as I will have a growing focus on career/job advancement and college. I will still work on my gamerscore in my spare time, while primarily focusing on games I want to play, like Dark Souls 2 and Dragon Age 3, but will still play easy games for points when I just not nearly as frequently. I do go for tougher/longer completions but those tend to be games I enjoy, like Dark Souls, Gears of War 2 japanese, and Soul Calibur 5.

I primarily care about my gamerscore and my completed game count. As long as my completion % is above 70 I am fine with it, although it has been slowly improving with focusing on completing some games and playing so many easy games. Kinda hoping to hit 200k with 72%, that will be a close call though.

Gamerscore > Completed game count > % >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Number of games played

Edited by KillerBEA

I consider the success of achievement hunting by 100% completion percentage of quality games that you actually like (not games you buy because they're just easy).

I only played about 80 games on my old account throughout my 6 years on the Xbox 360 and around 55 were completely maxed out. I was at about a 91% completion rate. That's the way I like it. This account, however, is going all out. Nothing but 100% completions, I tell ya.

I don't buy games based on their achievements. I buy games like I'm extremely interested in and then max them out. Even if it's a grind, I do it.

Like I said, I consider 100% completions to be more satisfying than a high gamerscore, a more significant achievement hunting success and a justification - if necessary - that I got the most out of my money by doing everything the game had to offer.

Edited by BiggD

The primary goal is getting 100% in my games, but I have played games (and still occasionally play games) just for gamerscore.

I think it's fair to say that although I have my share of easy games, my tougher completions more than make up for it. I don't think you're going to find anyone else who has completed all of the Gears of War games (except Judgement), almost all of the Guitar Hero games, and assorted titles such as DDR Universe, Dead or Alive 4, GRAW, and Kane and Lynch