Best Chapters for Boosting Enemy Commendations

Clueless

If anyone's having trouble grinding the watcher slayer, try episode 4 chapter 2 (Rally Point), you can easily get an average of 30 watcher kills from the middle of the map. The knights continue to regenerate one, just make a loadout that includes the firepower perk, ammo, and two precision primary weapons. Since commendation points add up even if you end game, you can restart as many times as you want! Happy hunting!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get Backstab Master in less than an hour if you play The Cauldron Base (E5C4) on easy. The covenant are more concerned with the generators than they are you so you can literally dance around them and they won't shoot you (once they're focused on the generator). I got around 80-90 assassinations per game this way.

From the start of the chapter, hop in the mantis and kill the three marines that spawn with you. Once you clear the first objective, you can hop out of the mantis and head into the base. From there, I killed the other two marines and dismantled the UNSC turret (grunts that drop behind it would sometimes get on it). From there, just wait for the covies to drop in and start attacking the generators. You shouldn't lose either one.

Also, sometimes the grunts would start running away flailing their hands. I found that instead of chasing them down and sometimes killing them without assassinating them, it was better to just wait til their attention is back on the generators. I also picked up some fuel rod ammo so I could kill the hunters without much trouble once they dropped in.

Even if you do this method, the hunters still like to focus on the generators. I can confirm that this is the easiest way to get the backstab commendation.

dude thank you this can help a lot i have the official guide but it only tells you how many you need to level a commedation it does not tell you where is the best chapter to go into for enemies you went in deep with the details i thank you this must have taken awhile for you

Even if you do this method, the hunters still like to focus on the generators. I can confirm that this is the easiest way to get the backstab commendation.

That's true, but they usually don't do enough damage to jeopardize anything. I like to loot some fuel rod cannon ammo from the grunts and shoot the hunters down with it after killing all the grunts. That way the splash damage doesn't take away any assassinations.

My numbers for Episode 6. Just a note at no point did I go out of my way to let Knights respawn so their numbers could be higher, that said there isn't many watchers around in these missions so it may not have worked.

Episode 6 - Chapter 1 (Great mission for Ultra's! Not too long and you have Ghosts to make it easier)

~15.00 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

127 Kills

Grunt 26

Grunt Imperial 23

Grunt Ultra 12

Jackal 3

Jackal Ranger 45

Elite 18

Elite Ranger 2

Elite Officer 8

Elite General 2

Crawler 12

Crawler Alpha 4

Ghost 4

Episode 6 - Chapter 2

~12.00 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

97 Kills

Grunt 24

Imperial Grunt 8

Jackal 14

Jackal Major 6

Jackal Ranger 1

Elite 16

Elite Ranger 13

Elite Officer 5

Elite General 2

Hunter 4

Banshee 2

Ghost 1

Episode 6 - Chapter 3 (lots of Ultra's and Battlewagons but it's quite a tough mission and long too)

~20.00 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

103 Kills

Grunt 17

Grunt Imperial 7

Grunt Ultra 14

Jackal 4

Jackal Ranger 8

Jackal Major 2

Elite 6

Elite Officer 5

Elite General 3

Hunter 2

Knight 8

Kinght Battlewagon 20

Watcher 5

Episode 6 - Chapter 4

~12.00 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

93 Kills

Grunt 28

Grunt Imperial 9

Grunt Ultra 2

Jackal 10

Jackal Ranger 11

Jackal Major 4

Elite 16

Elite Officer 6

Hunter 4

Ghost 2

Wraith 1

Episode 6 - Chapter 5 (Great mission for Knight Commanders)

~14.00 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

110 Kills

Grunt 4

Grunt Imperial 2

Jackal 6

Jackal Ranger

Jackal Major 4

Elite 1

Elite Ranger 2

Elite General 1

Crawler 21

Crawler Sniper 4

Crawler Alpha 25

Knight 22

Knight Battlewagon 7

Knight Commander 4 (potentially 8 with respawns)

Watcher 6

Edited by Hybridchld

Thank you Hybridchld for posting these numbers so quickly! I just ran through these on easy solo and they are the most fun SpOps missions yet, IMHO.

I have only maxed out Knight Slayer on the Forerunner side and I have Elite Zealot, Grunt Ultra and Jackal Major left on the Covenant side. Some of these commendations are difficult/tedious to master. For instance, Crawler Sniper Slayer? I'M STILL ON LEVEL 1! The best level for them E1C3 - with 10 baddies! Geez...

Thanks, Hybridchld. I did the same thing myself on Easy and Normal difficulties and got roughly the same numbers.

There is practically no difference doing the missions on Easy or Normal except:

Episode 6, Chapter 2: All The Secrets on Easy

Grunt Slayer - 29

Grunt Imperial Slayer - 8

Grunt Ultra Slayer - 0

Episode 6, Chapter 2: All The Secrets on Normal

Grunt Slayer - 16

Grunt Imperial Slayer - 13

Grunt Ultra Slayer - 5

On average, I got 5 Knight Commander kills on Episode 6, Chapter 5 but I always let the watchers respawn knights, except on Legendary. The counts were 5 (two games on easy), 4 (normal), 6 (heroic), and 6 (legendary). This seems the best level for Knight Commander kills so far and the rate is better if you play on Easy. I'm still holding out boosting this commendation until all the levels are released. At 15 kills an hour, it would take a painful 22 hours of grinding for me to max out the Knight Commander commendation (I have 327 kills to go). I already maxed out the backstab commendation the painful way but Episode 6, Chapter 3 would have been great for this with all the sleeping grunts at the start.

I also have my own spreadsheet - we all some nerds!

Edited by spiderbaby
Adding info

yeah but that mission takes so god damn long. :\ if I let every spawn exhaust itself every game is easily 20 minutes

Read the thread - Episode 1, Chapter 3 lets you boost this. Start the level, watch the cutscene, kill the first sniper crawler almost straight in front of you (and one or two other crawlers while you're at it), Restart Mission (don't end it), watch the cutscene, kill the first sniper crawler ... You get @2 sniper crawlers per minute. It's boring so I do it while watching TV.

Episode 7, Chapters 1-5 aren't very good for the rarer commendations (I mainly played on Easy) except that Episode 7, Chapter 3 got me 10 Elite Zealot Slayer kills which is on the high level for that commendation. I got 2 Knight Commander kills on both 7-1 (Normal) and 7-5 (Easy).

To get the most amount of Knight kills on 7-1, bring the Mantis to the landing zone to prevent your backup from stealing the kills from you.

Edited by spiderbaby

My numbers for Episode 7. Not a great week for the rarer enemies really but a great week for Jackal Rangers if you still need them.

Episode 7 - Chapter 1

~8 minutes

~3,000 EXP

86 Kills

Grunt 19

Grunt Imperial 4

Jackal 10

Jackal Major 2

Elite 10

Elite Officer 4

Crawler 5

Crawler Alpha 1

Kinght 12

Watcher 14

Ghost 2

Wraith 1

Episode 7 - Chapter 2

~12 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

137 Kills

Grunt 27

Grunt Imperial 6

Grunt Ultra 5

Jackal 13

Jackal Ranger 30

Jackal Major 11

Eilte 14

Elite Officer 6

Elite General 5

Crawler 11

Crawler Alpha 3

Knight 1

Knight Battle Wagon 5

Episode 7 - Chapter 3 (Best mission for Jackal Rangers but overall you'd be better off with 6-1)

~11 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

139 Kills

Grunt 21

Storm Grunt 5

Jackal 8

Jackal Ranger 61

Jackal Major 2

Elite 3

Elite Officer 2

Elite Ranger 10

Elite General 7

Crawler 13

Crawler Alpha 5

Kinght 1

Knight Battle Wagon 1

Episode 7 - Chapter 4

~13 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

174 Kills

Grunt 64

Grunt Imperial 23

Jackal 25

Jackal Ranger 22

Jackal Major 8

Elite 13

Elite Officer 3

Elite Ranger 9

Hunter 2

Crawler 3

Crawler Alpha 1

Watcher 1

Episode 7 - Chapter 5

~13 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

140 Kills

Grunt 32

Jackal 13

Jackal Major 2

Elite 2

Elite Officer 7

Elite General 2

Hunter 6

Crawler 38

Crawler Alpha 14

Kinght 5

Knight Battlewagon 3

Knight Commander 1

Watcher 13

Episode 7 - Chapter 3 (Best mission for Jackal Rangers but overall you'd be better off with 6-1)

~11 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

139 Kills

Grunt 21

Storm Grunt 5

Jackal 8

Jackal Ranger 61

Jackal Major 2

Elite 3

Elite Officer 2

Elite Ranger 10

Elite General 7

Crawler 13

Crawler Alpha 5

Kinght 1

Knight Battle Wagon 1

How is 6-1 better? To me it looks like you get more Jackal Rangers in less time.

Episode 7 - Chapter 4

~13 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

174 Kills

Grunt 64

Grunt Imperial 23

Jackal 25

Jackal Ranger 22

Jackal Major 8

Elite 13

Elite Officer 3

Elite Ranger 9

Hunter 2

Crawler 3

Crawler Alpha 1

Watcher 1

Not sure what difficulty is being used for theses statistics, but on heroic (mostly) and legendary (all), all above mentioned grunts are ultra/heavy rank. A grand total of 87 is very significant for this commendation, and yes, legendary takes a bit longer and is a bit tougher but its worth it. Happy hunting :uzi:

Episode 7 - Chapter 4

~13 Minutes

~3,000 EXP

174 Kills

Grunt 64

Grunt Imperial 23

Jackal 25

Jackal Ranger 22

Jackal Major 8

Elite 13

Elite Officer 3

Elite Ranger 9

Hunter 2

Crawler 3

Crawler Alpha 1

Watcher 1

Not sure what difficulty is being used for theses statistics, but on heroic (mostly) and legendary (all), all above mentioned grunts are ultra/heavy rank. A grand total of 87 is very significant for this commendation, and yes, legendary takes a bit longer and is a bit tougher but its worth it. Happy hunting :uzi:

I would like to add to this that if you keep replaying the first minute of this mission and stay up top just snipe the ultras with your DMR that keep funneling through the door. I avoid everything but grunts while doing this and once they stop coming I restart the mission. You can get 15 ultras in 1 minute doing this along with a couple of jackals from all 3 classes. Also pick stickies as your gnade. Run up to the human nades right in front of you. From the top platform right as your hud pops up throw all 4 gnades at the front door at about a 45 degree angle. If done correctly you can kill a lot of the ranger jackals that like to jump up and kill you as you are doing this. Also put dexterity on for quick reloads there is an ammo crate to your right if you need some more and if you die just restart. Edited by II Holland II

Hey guys. Just as a heads up, I went ahead and made a new topic with updated information. I frequent the board daily, so I should be able to keep it up-to-date with information. This should keep people from having to dig through the thread looking for stats.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=420675

Hybridchld, I formatted your information to match Clueless' format and credited you in the first post.

It's strange that Episode 5 was skipped over, but I've started working and have most of it done. I just need to finish chapters 3 and 5 and there's actually a couple record setters on Episode 5, Chapter 1. Crawler Snipers has a new best of 16.

I have already gone through Episode 8 online. Legendary difficulty definitely ups the rare enemy types. I'm going back through for Solo Easy numbers for the community:

Episode 8, Chapter 1: Unfinished Business

Time: 13:06

Total Kills: 119

Grunt: 31

Jackal: 16

Elite: 6

Grunt Imperial: 14

Elite Zealot: 14

Jackal Major: 11

Elite Ranger: 10

Jackal Ranger: 7

Grunt Ultra: 7

Elite General: 3

+1 Wraith Destroyer, +2 Ghost Destroyer if memory serves me correctly. It's also 24 kills towards Elite Zealot.

Episode 8, Chapter 2: Majestic Rescue

Time: 8:06

Total Kills: 71

Grunt: 15

Elite: 15

Watcher: 12

Jackal: 11

Grunt Imperial: 5

Elite Zealot: 5

Jackal Major: 3

Hunter: 2

+2 Ghosts, +1 Wraith. A quick level with nothing to gain.

Episode 8, Chapter 3: Lancer

Time: 12:55

Total Kills: 121

Marine Infantry: 530 (According to Waypoint. LOL)

Grunt: 45

Elite: 19

Grunt Imperial: 15

Elite Zealot: 9

Watcher: 9

Elite General: 8

Grunt Ultra: 6

+7 Ghosts, +1 Wraith. These numbers may be less accurate due to the Marine presence throughout the level. Nevertheless, this is another chapter where there isn't much happening numbers-wise.

**I would finish, but the Web Excel sheet has already been updated with the numbers for E8. A nifty tool if no one was aware of it:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A39C946A316F7935!217&app=Excel

Edited by Guilty Trace

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...