Rate Microsoft's X1 E3 Press Conference

Rapture639

Rate Microsoft's X1 E3 Conference  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Microsoft's X1 E3 Conference

Now that the dust has settled and we've seen what Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo has to offer at this years E3, let's talk about how Microsoft's E3 press conference fared against the other press conferences and compared to press conferences in previous years.

My Pros:

- Emphasis on GAMES. They showed lot's of great games with many of them being exclusives including Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Quantum Break, Project Spark, Forza 5, and TitanFall.

- Not a single mention of X1 integration with TV or Sports (something that was despised by gamers during the press reveal because that was the seemingly singular focus of their X1 reveal presentation). While neither of these are going away, they made sure that their E3 press conference was aimed at the hardcore gamer and they did it by focusing on the core games.

- They announced a price ($499) and a release window of November 2013

- No little kids awkwardly demonstrating Kinect. There wasn't really much of a discussion with regards to Kinect, which seemed to be the emphasis of Microsoft's press conference over the past couple years after Kinect was released, again showing more of an emphasis on core games over casual Kinect titles.

- No Usher concert.

My Cons:

- Lack of discussion with respect to the online DRM and how used games works. This was made especially worse when Sony later that night announced that their consumers didn't need to be connected online AND they are able to buy/sell/trade used games similarly to how we are able to today.

- The Price. Most people were going into this expecting the console to be no more than $399, and so a lot of people were surprised when they announced the price at $499 (news made even worse when Sony announced the PS4 at $399)

- The Crimson Dragon and Battlefield 4 demo had some really bad technical/audio issues that is not something that is acceptable at all for a demo broadcasted to millions of viewers watching around the world.

While I felt like this conference was several times better than what Microsoft has done over the last few years at E3, it fell a bit short when it came to discussing issues that were important to many core gamers. Looking at it on it's own, their press conference was excellent this year. But comparing it to the competitions, it definitely could have been better.

Here's a link to it for those that were not able to watch it live:

Edited by Rapture639

I thought they had a great balance. The DRM and similar functions have been cleared up in press releases leading up to E3 and the Reveal conference covered apps and social media content extensively, so having almost pure focus on games this E3 was a good move. And since they had almost all exclusives and newly-revealed projects (as opposed to Soner showing us everything we've already seen or been told about at some point already. And barely any exclusives.)

As for the games themselves, they had a wide variety of different games, a little bit of everything for everyone. A decent balance of gameplay videos and CGI teasers, but nothing that actually disappointed per se. When you couple the Microsoft conference with those Xbox One games shown during the Ubisoft, EA, and Soner conferences, you can't help but be excited for the game line-up Xbox One has in store (Especially since nearly every "exclusive" they revealed in the Soner show ended up being for the Xbox One as well.)

I must've completely missed the tech issues with BF4. Unless you are referring to the issues with audio?

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it did was it was supposed to do: got me excited for the games and the console.

Yea that and similarly what happened during the Crimson Dragon demo which looks like a great game that really didn't get a chance to shine because we didn't know what the heck was going on with the technical issues (and something they didn't even address after the trailer was shown leaving people to think the problem was on their end with the streams).

Yea that and similarly what happened during the Crimson Dragon demo which looks like a great game that really didn't get a chance to shine because we didn't know what the heck was going on with the technical issues (and something they didn't even address after the trailer was shown leaving people to think the problem was on their end with the streams).

I think it was just an audio issue with the conference set up and nothing to do with the system.

I think an audio issue doesn't look nearly as bad as stuttering and freezing like we saw during the Sony conference (whether or not it is game related).

Either way, it never looks good when something goes wrong. It doesn't mean the crowd needed to boo just because the audio wasn't working right away. People can be so rude for no reason.

I give it an 8/10. I was very happy with the large emphasis on controller gaming, and the very small focus on television and Kinect.

Microsoft stayed away from the Sony low-blows, even though the opposite wasn't true. Sony has been already been caught in their wording, which is making them look like liars. MP gaming now costs $60/year, the $399 price tag doesn't include the camera that is shown in all the pictures, not to mention that THIS came out this morning clarifying what exactly they meant by "DRM-free". Sony will be called out a lot on what they said vs. what they meant, where as Microsoft has a lot in the open at the moment.

My Cons:

- Lack of discussion with respect to the online DRM and how used games works. This was made especially worse when Sony later that night announced that their consumers didn't need to be connected online AND they are able to buy/sell/trade used games similarly to how we are able to today.

- The Price. Most people were going into this expecting the console to be no more than $399, and so a lot of people were surprised when they announced the price at $499 (news made even worse when Sony announced the PS4 at $399)

- The Crimson Dragon and Battlefield 4 demo had some really bad technical/audio issues that is not something that is acceptable at all for a demo broadcasted to millions of viewers watching around the world.

To address your cons, I feel like I should point out that PS was very sneaky and precise with their wording. They say there is no DRM, but they didn't say there won't be online passes. DRM will be 100% up to the publisher, exactly how Microsoft set-up their service, just differently worded. Mutli-platform games will very likely be shared the same way. Also, the $399 PS4 price doesn't include their camera, which is an extra $60 and isn't anywhere near power comparative to Kinect. And the audio glitch was typical, and at least in wasn't a complete crash like Ubisoft had during Sony's conference.

They get a 10/10 from me. It's been so long since Microsoft focused exclusively on core games and they nailed this one. I realize all the negativity surrounding the console, but absolutely no can deny that they came out aggressively and went after the core gamer. Well done, IMO.

I saw absolutely nothing that interested me or any games/ideas I couldn't get on another platform. So, 1/10. Harsh, maybe, but I haven't seen anything new from anyone this year that's grabbed me either with the exception of Kingdom Hearts 3 and that multiplayer gameplay reveal of Battlefield 4. Even Destiny was massively disappointing. Sure, some previously known stuff was cool to see, but at this point the only games that scream as must haves for me, within the next year or so, are Watchdogs, Battlefield 4, and Batman Arkham Origins. All of which I can get on PC or 360. I see no reason to upgrade.

I'd give it an 8/10 because so many cool games were shown off. So far I'd rate E3 like this:

Microsoft- 8/10

Sony- 7/10 (Would've been 5/10 if they didn't have the epic MS troll at the end. They showed almost nothing new besides Santa Monica's cool new game. Pretty disappointing and I'm the only one who realizes it)

Nintendo- 8/10 (Smash Bros with Mega Man! :D)

Ubisoft- 7/10 (AC4, WD, South Park and the New Tom Clancy game look cool, but it was nothing special. Where's Rainbow Six!?)

EA- 10/10 (The new PvZ games look goofy and fun, Battlefield 4 looks way better than BF3, I can't wait for Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mirrors Edge 2 could be cool and most importantly... BATTLEFRONT IS BACK!!! IVE BEEN WAITING 8 YEARS AND ITS FINALLY HAPPENNING!!! :D )

9/10.

I liked how they did the console specs in a different conference, and this whole conference focused on games. This is what we want from E3, all games. New IP's looked cool.

The only thing I didn't like was that they did not have plenty big game announcements. Only a teaser of Halo 5, but no Gears, Fable, or other heavy hitters that's not Forza. And I think if they somehow took the Kingdom Hearts 3 announcement, this would of been the best conference ever.

To address your cons, I feel like I should point out that PS was very sneaky and precise with their wording. They say there is no DRM, but they didn't say there won't be online passes. DRM will be 100% up to the publisher, exactly how Microsoft set-up their service, just differently worded. Mutli-platform games will very likely be shared the same way. Also, the $399 PS4 price doesn't include their camera, which is an extra $60 and isn't anywhere near power comparative to Kinect. And the audio glitch was typical, and at least in wasn't a complete crash like Ubisoft had during Sony's conference.

I've heard other people in these forums saying the same thing about PS4 and them being a bit more sneaky when it comes to how exactly they are implementing DRM into their games. Though it'd be nice if a credible source came out and explained exactly how DRM is going to be similar/different between the 2 consoles.

Is the camera mandatory for the PS4? That's something I've never heard before so I'm genuinely curious if that's another thing they conveniently left out when talking about the pricing of the console.

Were you planning on making any reaction vids to the E3 press conferences similar to what you did when the X1 was first unveiled?

How anyone can give it a 1/10 or a 10/10 is absurd, that's pure troll/faboi territory.

I gave it an 8/10, the games looked great, lots of exclusives to get excited about and the conference was over pretty sharpish, which is a GOOD thing, I had no intention of sitting there for 3 hours.

I gave it an 8 out of 10. Although there were some technical difficulties it didn't bother me too much.

It's E3 and they mostly talked about the games. That's what they weren't supposed to do.

The games look GREAT. I just learnt Dead Rising 3 was also an exclusive and that game looks crazy. Then there was Forza 5 which was a bit confusing and finally titan fall.

They announced we'd get 2 free games a month if we were Gold.

They announced that if my brother's Gold expired he could still use Gold if it was connecting to the same network I was.

etc...

If it wasn't for the "high" price tag and slight technical issues I would've given it a 9 or 10.