PS3 vs. 360... I can't decide.

tpb

Ok, so I love metal gear. Always have... And everything MGS has traditionally been on playstation... I have them all there...

The problem is, now I'm really an Xbox gamer... Addicted to achievements. I got the hd collection on ps3 and didn't really play much of it... Can't decide if that's because I completed those games 100 times over, or if its because I just couldn't be bothered to boot my ps3. Lol.

What do people think? Keep the streak on the ps3 or move it to the 360?

I heard the PS3 Demo was really glitchy, and taking that into concideration + how Bayonetta was on PS3, 360 might be your best bet.

So sega is making Metal Gear now, gee you would think with that kind of news all the major outlets would have covered that.....

You want to know how it play go play MGS4 again lulz........

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So sega is making Metal Gear now, gee you would think with that kind of news all the major outlets would have covered that.....

You want to know how it play go play MGS4 again lulz........

Sega didn't make Bayonetta Platinum Games did, Platinum Games is making this. Did Platinum games make MGS4? um no.

I buy games based on whatever console was the lead platform, unless they see a PC release then I buy it regardless. In all my 20 years of gaming this buying standard hasn't let me down not once.

Bayonetta's lead platform was the Xbox 360. Platinum hasn't let the failures of their PS3 port of Bayonetta go unattended to moving forward. Since then, they've used the PS3 as the lead platform for their games and so far, it has worked out perfectly fine for the PS3 versions as well as the 360 ports. Metal Gear Rising, again, is following this structure; the PS3 version is the lead platform and as such the 360 version the port.

As for the demo, since someone said the PS3 one was glitchy, I've gone through it several times and have had no problems (my PS3 is a Japanese one though, so this is not the demo version from ZoE). There are glitches you can do, but it's pretty much stuff a kin to glitching out of the maps on a CoD map, or the famous Kilgore missle combos in Bayonetta, nothing that detracts from the game. A friend of mine has the 360 demo (ZoE version), and likewise, he's had the same experiences as me. So it seems all is well whichever system you choose to buy for.

Edited by Strid

Judging by the following article the PS3 version has better visuals during cutscenes - presumably because they have more space to play around with on Blu-Rays so can use higher quality videos.

Otherwise they sound about the same and comes down to which controller you are more comfortable with :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-demo-showdown

• 2 weeks later...
I heard the PS3 Demo was really glitchy, and taking that into concideration + how Bayonetta was on PS3, 360 might be your best bet.

This. I also played the PS3 demo and the game felt like shit on a PS3 controller. Granted, you can get 360 style controllers for PS3, but its not quite the same.

Btw, I'm getting the PS3 version as I do with most of my games.

Then why are you here? In a Metal Gear thread, nonetheless?

Edited by MachineAres

I been trying to decide myself which version to pick up. If the demos were any indication, the xbox360 has alot of screen tearing. Hopefully it's not the case with full game. I'd much rather play on the xbox controller, but I don't think I could handle that screen tearing.

I always get the xbox version, just a matter of console preference, achievements and better controller.

It doesn't matter to me that it's a metal gear game.

I got both the xbox and ps3 mgs HD collections though. To boost sales and just because I'm a fan. :)

But I think I'll be getting only the xbox version of mgr though. It's a far cry from the real mgs franchise.

The pressing issue remains that the game's physics engine takes a major toll on current console hardware. When pushed too far, frame-rates on both the 360 and PS3 come tumbling down to 30FPS at points - and potentially lower once we dice up more than a single object in one go. As a result, we rarely get a look-in on the 60FPS dream during combat. Although the 360 consistently betters the PS3 from a performance standpoint, both versions are ultimately stuck in the juddering 40-50FPS no-man's land - albeit with v-sync thankfully engaged on each.

As far as image quality goes, the gap between the PS3 and 360 releases has narrowed since the demo first landed, with identical textures, native resolutions and effects on showcase for each. The differing approaches to shadow filtering brings out unique rough edges on either platform, but the nature of this is variable and dependent on the positioning of the camera during gameplay. Crucially, however, the PS3 offers the highest quality cut-scenes, owing to superior video compression afforded by the Blu-ray format. These are perceptibly clearer, and sidestep the evident macro-blocking we see in motion on 360.

In the final call, both versions of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance are well worth considering, with each fronting unique advantages. Call it a tie overall: the performance nod goes to the 360 rendition of the game, often running with a 10FPS lead, while image quality purists are strongly advised to seek out the crisper PS3 version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-face-off

Well from a business sense it would make sense for them to make it on cross platforms unless sony gang bung out enough money for them to keep it on ps3 only...I think sony will defiantly make an offer for that since they are heading into administration unless them make big bucks and they have no stock so they need this title since its a big one on ps3 and with the xbox coming out way before ps4 again they will also loose money there.