Achievement Discussion

Barad

Sometimes I feel as if the gaming community is starting to feel like they should be entitled to an achievement after a few minutes or a few tries now a days. How can you call that an achievement when it's just based upon how much time you spent. Too many times game companies give away free achievements by allowing them be given by simply pressing a button or completing some menial task that comes with normal gameplay anyways. For once there are some achievements that deserve the name 'achievement' and people are complaining. I understand ppl needing to 100% everything because of 'OCD' but really, that isn't an excuse. Gaining an achievement should be just that, an achievement. As the person above me said it felt really really good gaining a few achievements in the Dunwall Trials, that's how it's meant to be done, and the feeling you should have when you gain one. A great achievement is one that makes you feel proud to have completed it and that you've earned something. With the next gen of achievements having the possibility to span multiple titles, it's going to be a nightmare for those that must get 100% on everything.

:goodpost /10char

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh effing hell.... So I've been busy packing for a move, planning camping trips, vacation, construction at work, finishing up Metro LL when I have a moment life is not going insane. Haven't been able to download this yet, or read anything on it even.

Bioshock Infinite's first DLC is a fucking challenge/trial DLC?!?!?!?

Seriously my friends, say it ain't so!!!!! :(

Oh effing hell.... So I've been busy packing for a move, planning camping trips, vacation, construction at work, finishing up Metro LL when I have a moment life is not going insane. Haven't been able to download this yet, or read anything on it even.

Bioshock Infinite's first DLC is a fucking challenge/trial DLC?!?!?!?

Seriously my friends, say it ain't so!!!!! :(

It's so :( But fear not bud, for the next two DLC's will be (by the looks) just as awesome as the retail game itself!

Whoever invented Horde/Arena/Survival/Waves needs shooting, as now thats all we get, even in games they dont belong

The earliest Xbox 360 game I can think of to have a mode like this would be Rainbow Six Vegas back in 2007.

Treyarch and EPIC then followed suit a year later in 2008 with Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty Black Ops.

So let's blame them.

snip

Except if you actually bother thinking about it beyond this old painfully dull argument that's thrown out for apparently no reason other than to try and make yourself sound better than other people without any consideration of the specific achievements being discussed of, 'Oh, but achievements are called achievements because you're supposed to achieve them!' You realise that for some achievements that means nothing.

Sure, I get and agree with the point when an achievement is difficult, take an equally old example of a tough achievement, Mile High Club - That was tough but it was always fair and so sure, no problem with that line when applied there in my opinion.

However what's being discussed above is luck, there's no possible way you can rationalise how the same argument can be applied to something that is dictated to such a large degree by nothing more than a dice roll and how much time you're willing to waste until you get the right roll come up for you.

Whoever invented Horde/Arena/Survival/Waves needs shooting, as now thats all we get, even in games they dont belong

The earliest Xbox 360 game I can think of to have a mode like this would be Rainbow Six Vegas back in 2007.

Treyarch and EPIC then followed suit a year later in 2008 with Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty Black Ops.

So let's blame them.

I actually love horde modes, probably even more than standard multiplayer just because it actually inspires teamwork where competitive multiplayer modes, despite their efforts to do so, almost always fail and everyone runs around doing their own thing. It was awesome in Rainbow Six: Vegas and Gears of War but my absolute favorite was in Mass Effect 3. The difference? You weren't fucking playing alone! Solo wave-based combat is no fun. They should have taken a shot at doing two-player co-op with this add-on, one player as Elizabeth and one player as Booker. The player controlling Elizabeth could have played a support role and they could have gotten pretty creative and made that a lot of fun. I actually can't think of too many games that have a horde mode that doesn't fit as much as this one doesn't seem to.

I actually love horde modes, probably even more than standard multiplayer just because it actually inspires teamwork where competitive multiplayer modes, despite their efforts to do so, almost always fail and everyone runs around doing their own thing. It was awesome in Rainbow Six: Vegas and Gears of War but my absolute favorite was in Mass Effect 3. The difference? You weren't fucking playing alone! Solo wave-based combat is no fun. They should have taken a shot at doing two-player co-op with this add-on, one player as Elizabeth and one player as Booker. The player controlling Elizabeth could have played a support role and they could have gotten pretty creative and made that a lot of fun. I actually can't think of too many games that have a horde mode that doesn't fit as much as this one doesn't seem to.

Yeah, this whole horde/arena mode doesn't fit well at all in BioShock. Had the team focused on some sort of two player cooperative horde mode like you mention, that could have been really interesting though. Of course, I've yet to start this DLC, but I'm not really sure it'll hold my interest that long. I hope it's still somewhat enjoyable.

So let's blame them.

Not to nitpick, but don't you mean World at War? It was the first CoD to introduce ANY wave based mode, being zombies. Then MW2 added spec-ops. Then Black Ops, then MW3 with survival spec-ops mode.