Handyman Carnby Achievement Guide(s)

jokerxbl

I just got his achievement 5 mins ago and I'll post what I did for it.

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Flare

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Glowstick

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Bullets

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Flare

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Glowstick

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Bullets

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Flare

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Glowstick

Explosive Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Bullets

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Flare

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Glowstick

Empty Plastic Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Bullets

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Flare

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Glowstick

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Bullets

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Flare

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Glowstick

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Bullets

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Flare

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Glowstick

Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Bullets

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Flare

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Glowstick

Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Bullets

Empty Glass Bottle + Water

Empty Plastic Bottle + Water

Bloodpack + Double Sided Tape

Glowstick + Double Sided Tape

Flare + Double Sided Tape

Spray Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Flare

Spray Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Glowstick

Spray Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Bandages + Bullets

there are two best locations for doing this

1ST area: Near center of map by lake, its an underground storage area (has big circle design near it)

2ND area: Lowest left area of map big house has flood lights outside of building. has fire hose you use to climb down from the 2nd floor (near first root of evil)

Thanks a lot dude, helped me out. Didn't think of combining water with an empty bottle.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you make the items reappear in a location? I tried dying and that didn't work.

Edit: Just unlocked it after getting the useless achievement. There's no way I did all those combinations so I guess it glitched on me!

Edited by Big Tuna

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks! I finally got that "Handyman Carnby" achievement to pop up!

After messing with it for hours, it turned out to be the blood pack + double-sided tape. I thought I had already did that one, but I guess I did not save it or something. I was trying all the other ones until I thought to try the blood pack + double-sided tape. Once I did that, "Achievement Unlocked."

Anyway, great guide and really helpful! Now, onto finishing this game!

I didn't check all pages for whether this has been mentioned before, but the achievement popped for me when I reloaded the gun through the inventory (not just pressing B in First Person). You'll propably need to reload the flash light the same way. Otherwise, great guide!

In case if anyone else is making notes and scratching his head like I did. ;)

• 1 month later...
ok where exactly is the 1st place mentioned in the guide? I've searched for hours now and still cant figure it out. I've looked near every circle I could find. A screen shot or a detailed description or anything will do please help lol

dat is also the same problem im having i cant find the 1st location for getting these materials..can some giv me a more detailed description of where this storage basement near the circle on the map is plz...thx alot in advance!!

Check out this post on the Gamespot forums:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/aloneinthedark/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44310748&pid=930280

You apparantly dont have to combine every item, only the TITLES of the items are enough. For instance, the game does not care if you make a molotov cocktail with handkerchief or bandages. Worked nicely for me, actually did get it in 5 minutes!

Beware of that house though, scary place ;)

PS: Do it on Chapter 8, sequence 1. Here you start in a safe place with a shitload of loot lying around, makes it easier to get there safely as you dont have any items when you load a specific chapter/sequence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The achievement has just now popped up for me and here are the only combinations I actively chased:

I know for fact that I never did combinations such as Explosive Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Bullets, Empty Glass Bottle + Double Sided Tape + Handkerchief + Glowstick etc which makes me think that as long as you have every combination achievement, you only need the five combinations I listed above (possibly less? I read bloodpack may not be needed).

If anyone would like to test this for me (because I'm not going to ever play this game again once it's done haha), can they try a run making just the following?

Any combination that unlocks Basic Combination achievement- explosive/water/empty plastic/glass bottle with tape

Any combination that unlocks The Sticky Bomb achievement- explosive plastic/glass bottle, or spray with tape

Any combination that unlocks The Glowstick Bomb achievement- explosive plastic/glass bottle, or spray with tape and glowstick

Any combination that unlocks The Molotov Cocktail achievement- explosive plastic/glass bottle with handkerchief/bandage

Any combination that unlocks the Fire bullets achievement- explosive plastic/glass bottle with gun

Any combination that unlocks the Demolition Expert achievement- spray, tape and ammo

The combination that unlocks the Useless! achievement- empty plastic/glass bottle with tape, flare and handkerchief/bandage

Sorry if this theory has already been brought up and disproven, and doubly sorry if this seems like I'm insulting the OP's original work- I'm very thankful for this thread because it got me the achievement :) All I know is I've only used a single handkerchief in the entire game so far and I've unlocked the achievement, even though there's twelve combinations a handkerchief can be used with- it could be a glitch on my part for all I know, but I got this achievement far faster than I expected and all because I was lazy and wanted to start with the simple 2-piece combinations haha.

• 2 weeks later...
you do not need to do all of that i only did the achievement ones and the useless achievement then i transfered liquid from one bottle to another. You do not need blood

id just like to confirm that the blood pack with double sided tape IS Required, it was the last one i needed as ive followed alot of others advice in it not being needed.

• 1 month later...

Man, this achievement is a serious pain in the ass! I tried every list out there and nothing worked. I was going through yet another list and I did taped bloodpack (which I had done many times before) THEN did a taped flare afterwards to see if I could stick them together somehow and BAM! Achievement unlocked...like wtf?? Ah well, finally got my 1000 and can trade this crap game back in.

Both of these Helped alot. Went round and round. Turned out that i had to just tape up the flare ;). Done now thanks guys got my 1000 now YUS!

THIS GOT MY ACHIEVEMENT! I do not know if all the above are necessary in the original post, but I do know:

I had all other achievements in the game (Others don't matter, but I know the combo acheves matter. I was sitting at 970/1000)

I read this post, and decided to tape up a flare, and when I taped the glowstick, achievement unlocked!

I also:

Taped the bloodpack

"Combined" bullets and gun (Didn't reload)

Cursed a whole helluva lot at this game

The place I did all this combo stuff is at the bottom left hand side of the map, where you have to go into the basement and up the elevator to kill the roots. It has most of the things you need (I would bring a hankerchief and bandages with you, you can do everything else there)

:woop::woop::woop:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My journey to this achievement was actually quite painless; I used a minimal amount of combinations.

In addition to the item combos for other achievements, I did the following:

Bullets + gun

Taped explosive bottle + Ammo box

Taped spray + Ammo box

Taped bottle + Flare

Explosive bottle + handkerchief + flare

Taped spray + flare

Explosive glass bottle + handkerchief

Explosive plastic bottle + handkerchief

Bottle + glowstick

Explosive bottle + handkerchief + glowstick

Spray + glowstick

Additionally, I taped every object: Anti-rust spray, mosquito spray, medical spray, blood pack, flare, glass and plastic bottles, and glowsticks.

I never used water combinations at all; I did, however, pick one up out of one of the machines, which may in itself account for a combination. I also used one bottle (both plastic and glass varieties) to fill another, which may count for something.

Best of luck in getting this.

• 1 month later...

Just for my information and understanding...is bloodpack = the stuff you use to heal the deep bleeding wounds or is it something different? (Translation problems since i'm from Germany) :D

Thx for help

...don't mind...got it easily...even without having the useless combination so it seems like this is pretty random. After i taped a bottle with a flare it popped!

Edited by Tommy Gun 81

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I see. So the guide in the Achievements Guide was half filled. Please, somebody fill the remaining and correct the order of all possible combinations. I tried combining the following combinations as the Ach Guide instructed, but the achievement didn't pop out.

What do I miss are Health Spray and a Bottle of Water.

Off to find the remaining contents.

• 4 weeks later...

I am stuck on water combinations. The water should be found in trashcans (in plastic bottle) or I need to find water in fountains or something and fill in an empty bottle with water? Please reply!

EDIT: Nevermind. I already found it.

Edited by D!Qn3*