Anyone having difficulty buying a house in Falkreath?

IMPOSSIBLE DAN

Thanks for looking that up again but it isn't that simple.

Most people on the several threads with Falkreath problems are beyond most of these issues.

Out of the misc quests I've completed at least 6 of the 7, the one I might be missing is the half moon mill as the female vampire was with the male vampire when I completed the DB quest to kill him. However as we're only required to complete 3 of these that's not likely to matter and I was able to become thane there long ago.

Hmm...

Problem with the letter theory is you're not supposed to receive one from any of the holds you're already a thane in, does that fit in with the letters you did/didn't receive?

I've tried reloading a pre-HF save game several times and I've only ever received letters from the orphanage and whiterun which goes with the thane thing.

The more I read the more I think the most important thing is to remember to hand in radient bounty quests as soon as possible to allow another steward or jarl to offer you another of the same type.

That's just it, I wasn't a thane of Falkreath. But I was also unable to become thane of Falkreath. I completed the Stormcloak questline so the Jarl was Dengeir and the steward is Tekla. And they wouldn't give me any quests to complete so that I could become thane.

Also, the letter didn't reference becoming a thane. It just informed me that land was available. I had completed all of the quests I could on my previous attempts and I was never made a thane, nor would they sell me the land.

So for me, at least, reloading a previous save and receiving the letter to buy land was the only way I was able to purchase the plot.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it, I wasn't a thane of Falkreath. But I was also unable to become thane of Falkreath. I completed the Stormcloak questline so the Jarl was Dengeir and the steward is Tekla. And they wouldn't give me any quests to complete so that I could become thane.

Also, the letter didn't reference becoming a thane. It just informed me that land was available. I had completed all of the quests I could on my previous attempts and I was never made a thane, nor would they sell me the land.

So for me, at least, reloading a previous save and receiving the letter to buy land was the only way I was able to purchase the plot.

I'm glad someone got their problem sorted. :)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane

Interesting that certain quests must be completed before Falkreath Jarl will give a quest. Hopefully this helps

Player does not need to be thane to purchase the land. Only the favor of the Jarl is needed.

That means you have to bring him a black briar beer. Then you need to kill the bandit leader he asks you to eliminate.

Land is then available to you. Becoming Thane just grants you a housecarl for your new residence once a bed is place in it.

I was able to buy from the steward right after completing the bandit quest. I still need to do a quest or 2 for the townsfolk to become Thane.

Yep but if you look it's not the thane part we're having trouble with, as you've said it isn't a requirement, however after we've done all the quests to get the favour to become thane well before we knew the land would become available we aren't left with any undone quests to get the land offered.

I'm being offered occasional radients now by the steward but nothing I do seems to get the jarl to like me enough.

Yep but if you look it's not the thane part we're having trouble with, as you've said it isn't a requirement, however after we've done all the quests to get the favour to become thane well before we knew the land would become available we aren't left with any undone quests to get the land offered.

I'm being offered occasional radients now by the steward but nothing I do seems to get the jarl to like me enough.

i think thats what the letter is for. you should be getting one

i think thats what the letter is for. you should be getting one

Nope, as I've said in various threads, you only get the 2 letters from the orphanage and the breezehome upgrade letter plus those from the 3 land-selling holds that you AREN'T already a thane in. I'm already a thane in all 3 holds on both of my characters but even then the one character can't seem to get the falkreath land option to appear.

It's actually correct. Unless you have a save data before you kill Helvard in the Dark Brotherhood, there's no chance you can get the land (at least from the 3 hours of trying to test all possibilities). It's an old bug which from the looks of it it was never looked up/never bothered to be fixed. Only have 2-3 miscellaneous quests not related to anything "Thane" related and I'm sure it's the whole Helvard thing since you still get the quests from Nenya (which isn't "glitched") but rather the Jarl itself. :/

Hopefully of course it doesn't glitch with everyone.

False. I was stuck as well, thinking it was because I had killed Helvard in the Dark Brotherhood questline. As it turns out, I had a :listed" misc. quest still pending. Once I completed that, I was able to purchase land at Falkreath

i have two gamer tags one is lighthouse777

this quest is open Song of the Alchemists for Lami in Morthal

and i got all three houses

on starlight777 i tried on two different characters

the one with the mirror quest open, i have all three plots/houses

on the one with no radiant quests open.. none

i cannot buy the falkreath house

denier is the jarl and i became his thane as well as the one before him

so i became thane twice in the strongholds that were taken over by the storm cloaks

the only difference is i did deniers quest to steal a letter after he became jarl

never did on the other two

and thats the one i cannot get the house in falkreath

and in one i was already a thane/twice and i got a letter for falkreath

never even noticed it at first.. on the other one i did not

the third character nothing cannot buy land. almost as bad as blood on the ice

this dlc has a lot of other issues like freezing and disapperaing floors

Edited by lighthouse777

I can't get the land plot either. I am a thane in Falkreath /Black Briar mead given and all that), I helped Imperials so Siddgeir is still the Jarl and I killed that man for Brotherhood. I have double checked my quests: had one radiant quest to kill a bandit chief, did that, went back to Nenya, nothing. Still no option to buy the land. And now I'm out of quests that I can actually do. I have that Skold who won't pay me for killing that giant and I can't report Leifnarr's death.

Oh, about that letter: I'm a thane in all holds (been that way since last year) and I still received a letter from Dawnstar so it can't be that you receive one from a hold in which you're not a thane yet.

Here's for hoping Bethesda will fix this DLC. Then again, I have to play the game with a new character for the Daedric items so it's not a big problem to start a new game for this one as well...

I can't get the land plot either. I am a thane in Falkreath /Black Briar mead given and all that), I helped Imperials so Siddgeir is still the Jarl and I killed that man for Brotherhood. I have double checked my quests: had one radiant quest to kill a bandit chief, did that, went back to Nenya, nothing. Still no option to buy the land. And now I'm out of quests that I can actually do. I have that Skold who won't pay me for killing that giant and I can't report Leifnarr's death.

Oh, about that letter: I'm a thane in all holds (been that way since last year) and I still received a letter from Dawnstar so it can't be that you receive one from a hold in which you're not a thane yet.

Here's for hoping Bethesda will fix this DLC. Then again, I have to play the game with a new character for the Daedric items so it's not a big problem to start a new game for this one as well...

That's pretty much exactly the same as I have.

I'll let you know if I manage anything.

False. I was stuck as well, thinking it was because I had killed Helvard in the Dark Brotherhood questline. As it turns out, I had a :listed" misc. quest still pending. Once I completed that, I was able to purchase land at Falkreath

Ok. I had the same thing happen and the Jarl eventually said I was able to buy land, but the Steward doesn't give me the option to buy the land. What did I do wrong?

Ok. I had the same thing happen and the Jarl eventually said I was able to buy land, but the Steward doesn't give me the option to buy the land. What did I do wrong?

Haven't seen that setup before, usually we either get stuck never having land mentioned or you get it mentioned and can buy it.

This one I can't help with I'm afraid.

The only means to buy this damned plot of land from Falkreath is to wait for a corrective patch, if I indeed understand ?

Looks like it.

Or as I've done start a whole new game again from scratch so you can get both of the biggest glitches out the way at the same time; Falkreath and Hjerim... :eek:

Hey retard did you read any of this thread before posting? Of course you didnt! Thanks for the tip though. If Bethesda could actually program a game, you would be correct!

LOL!

Well I was gonna word it slightly differently but let's go with yours. :D

Incidentally, something new on that new character I decided to go with. I received the letter from Siddgeir early on to visit which I did sometime later, was asked to clear out the Ember bandits and upon returning to him was offered the chance to buy the land there and then. No mead quest, hadn't even started the helping 3/3 falkreath denizens, wasn't thane so it has nothing to do with those. Only difference thanedom made was the housecarl appeared out of thin air as soon as Siddgeir pronounced me thane and gave me a crappy blade.

Definately a very weird system.

Did you manage to get the falkreath land ? I've tried everything, using previous saves, uninstalling dawnguard and hearth fire, but still no joy ?

Nope, not on my problem character. I've tried getting radiant quests everytime they appear from there, helping with farming collections and quests from the tavern owner for hours and hours. Nothing.

Pretty sure it'll require either a miracle or a fix and we know which of those is more likely eh? :/

Edited by buggss

I am having he same problem and it's sooo frustrating. Here's my situation.

First off I am on level 59 and I have completed all the main quest lines and I am thane in all the holds and have the weapons to prove it. What's weird is like after the Dawnguard DLC and now the Hearthfire one it's like the Jarl's all lose their minds and can't remember you or something :S

I completed the civil war quest long ago and sided with the Stormcloaks so I have Jarl Dengeir and Tekla as steward. Helvard is still alive in my game too and I didn't join the DB... I killed Astrid and everyone in the DB so...maybe that has something to do with it?

I have NO radiant quests open...finished those ages ago...and I have even opened up new quests by going to both Tekla and the chick running the Tavern there and I after I complete them I just get a reward and NO DIALOG FOR PURCHASING LAND from either Tekla or the Jarl....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! THis is so frustrating because I too am anal and want to finish this achievement!!

My husband is on level 59 and he did complete the DB questline and he joined and killed Helvard and he got the option to buy land without any problem and he sided with the storm cloaks and dealt with Dengeir too.

The only thing I can figure out is after I installed the Dawnguard DLC ...one day a bunch of vampires showed up in Falkreath and practically wiped out the whole town. It killed most of the citizens. the only people still alive are the two brothers running Gray Pine Goods, the inn keeper chick and the people who are in there like that singing bard..and the alchemist chick in Grave Concoctions. Everyone else is dead...so if I have to win favor all over again by doing nice things for people I'm going to be screwed :S

It's just really amazes me that Bethesda tries to make this so complicated because it's obvious this is a really bizarre bug and I have yet to see anything that could be the cause just by scanning through this thread. It's weird. I am so frustrated! :(

EDIT: One more thing... I do have 2 unresolvable quests listed as "return to Skald for reward" listed that will not go away. :( I go back to Skald and there is no dialog that will release that from my quest log.

Edited by squirrely1

....EDIT: One more thing... I do have 2 unresolvable quests listed as "return to Skald for reward" listed that will not go away. :( I go back to Skald and there is no dialog that will release that from my quest log.

That's one of the issues I have too, unable to hand a quest in to skald or his steward while he's in the palace of the kings in Windhelm.

A question; can you change your skald quest in your journal from inactive to active? Mine won't change from the diamond to the arrow in my journal.

Edited by buggss

So what if you cant wrap up some misc. quests because the game glitches them out and won't let you complete them. I have one main quest that I can't end after killing one of the dragon priests and I have about 4 or 5 misc quests, because targets to kill or talk to either on some unreachable plane in the map or even after I collect a reward for completion, the quest just doesn't close.

This is somewhat disconcerting. I've been patient about it, thinking a patch fix would be coming out soon. We've been talking about the Falkreath shiz for weeks here, and I was hoping all this solution finding was only to keep us occupied until a proper patch fix comes. It seems the only way is to start all over again, and go for the achievements you've missed - and I'm not too keen on the idea.

I'm finding it hard to resist whining about this whole thing: Why Bethesda's either taking so long to fix such a simple error; Or in the same vein, if perhaps they're completely neglecting this since it may be such a "small" error to them.

It's not like I'm okay with the idea of ["Oh yeah, spent countless hours on the game since I plan to 100% from the get go, but there's 2 achievements I can't obtain because Bethesda thinks they're small time to be fixed - but that's a-okay! I'm breaking my plan to 100% this because Bethesda thinks I don't need to bother myself with it!"] OH JOY.

Apologies for the immature post. Just incredibly annoyed right now. :-/

That's one of the issues I have too, unable to hand a quest in to skald or his steward while he's in the palace of the kings in Windhelm.

A question; can you change your skald quest in your journal from inactive to active? Mine won't change from the diamond to the arrow in my journal.

Nope it won't highlight or the diamond won't fill in either when I try to select that in the quest list. Well the Misc arrow will light but not the Skald one. :S And I have two of those. I also have a few other unresolvable quests that I just will never be able to clear out because of glitchyness or something :S

yeah this is really annoying. I did email Bethesda... I would say if we all do that....maybe they will get the idea. They just sent back a pretty generic email response that told me how to clear the cache of my Xbox and well hang on.... I'll copy and paste their response here so you all can read what they told me... apparently they said to stay tuned for bug patches and stuff on their blog...or something....

Here's the copy of their response:

Thank you for contacting Bethesda Technical Support.

Your email feedback has been forwarded to the tech folks who handle this. All future patches and what they might address would be determined by them. Any information on future patch releases will be posted to either the Bethesda Forums or the blog so please check back there.

We would like for you to try the troubleshooting steps below to see if it helps resolve the issue you are experiencing.

1. Restart the console.

2. Determine whether the issue has occurred more than one time. If this case is the first time that you have experienced this behavior, the issue may not occur again.

3. Try clearing the cache. To clear the Xbox 360 cache select My Xbox, System Settings, Storage… then highlight the HDD, press Y… and then simply select “Clear System Cache”. Select Yes when prompted to perform Hard Drive Maintenance.

* = Deleting the cache will remove temporary game files and updates. Saved games, profiles, DLC etc will NOT be removed.

4. Re-install DLC content by removing it from the Hard Drive, and then downloading the content again from your Xbox Live Download History.

5. Determine whether the Xbox 360 console is overheating. Make sure that the console is not in a poorly ventilated environment or near a heat source. Heat sources include TVs, computers, monitors, and other electrical devices. If the Xbox 360 console is in a poorly ventilated location, move it to a location that has sufficient ventilation, such as on top of a table or on the floor. If the issue is resolved, the previous location likely did not provide sufficient ventilation for the Xbox 360 console to correctly function.

Best Regards,

Leon P.

Technical Support

This DLC should of come out when the games was released not months later after people had already been playing it....IE: Ysolda's rare gift radiant quest"mammoth tusk"=if your speech is too high she will never give you the quest.....i managed to get all the dlc working fine on an early save before i made any civil war choices...i will really think hard before buying any future dlc for this game "if it happens at all"... Bethesda Technical Support blaming hardware or installs is pretty sad.....