EA ranking exlained.. not all about winning

For everyone wanting to know why they go from no1 down a few ranks after wining a tourney or how to hold onto no 1 for the cheive (if you get it in season 1 you MUST stay no 1 till your 7th masters!!!)

Rankings are determined in stats plus winning. Remember in the 2009 TW game where you had to lead in 14 categories or something like that? Well, those categories ( though they're not listed in this version) make up a majority of ranking points.

If you hit every green, every fairway, make putts, sand saves, scramble good, high bounce back%, drive a 300 average ..etc and lose by 1, you'll get better points than missing every fairway, green, 3 putting, going OB/hazzard, and winning by 5.

To get your rank to no 1 and keep it there PLAY the shortgrass. Hit the fairways SAFELY but with some distance. Hit the greens in or under regulation, and keep your putts down. (though he sucks most of the time, the caddie will give decent advice. especially in wind, rain, and different elevation changes to allow you to almost hit the green/fairway EVERYTIME.)

If you go 100%,100% and stay under 2 putts per green, you will win every tourney and rack in points. When you start missing fairways, greens, hitting sand, and bogeying, then you're losing ground.

If you still have 09 you can see those stats I mentioned above in the "my tour" section ( or whatever it's called)

Hope this will help alot of you guys out.

BTW.. if you win and play good enough you can skip the last 7 and the first 4 tourneys in the end of the 6th season/start of the 7th. So you'll bypass 11 (plus any DLC ones) in your career... almost an entire season to get that 7th jacket sooner.

Lastly to monitor when you can skip a tourney always check your RANKINGS before you skip. If you see a dlc course onteh horizon, check your rankings and see how your AVERAGE is. NOT TOTAL pts. The AI will play every tourney and amass pts for them. You'll see they usually go up or down 2 at the most.. if your average is about 15-20 higher than the second ranked guy, you can miss about 3-4 tourneys (as long as the AI doesn't shoot lights out) before having to play 3-4 in a row.

Unfortunately, there isn't a "ranking" list to what the AI is sscoring on the courses.

If you're hitting all FIR, and GIR, I'd peek at your par 3/4/5 scoring averages, and your Holes per Eagles. I knwo the par 3 averages can kill you with just getting pars. Since most courses have ony 4 par 3's and 4 par 5's you almost have to go 3 for 4 on the par 3's and 4 for 5 on eagling the par 5's.

If you're playing DLC courses in the tour and you have one of those bitch fantasy courses, it's almost a stat killer unless you've played it in Qp to master it.. then it still isn't too easy.

ALSO... for thos choosing to set the AI scoring to insane.. they're stats will uphold their scores.. if BUBBA shoots a -13 You can bet his stats are off the charts as well.

In tw 2009 there was a cheive or somethin for being no1 in PGA categories.. If somone can find that list or has 2009 still, look it up and post it.

Thanks for the info i have a question though I'm sitting behind tiger his avg is 30.79 and mine is 30.28 i don't skip any events and hit every gir,fir etc but still cant get past him any help would be much appreciated.

Not to worry, you will pass and out-distance him soon. I have been playing every event except DLC courses, but barely stayed ahead of Tiger. Toward the end of my second season, I started to gain a better score, even though the points (far right on the EA ranking screen) noted no changes for either of us. Now I am 13-14 points ahead of him.

Not to worry, you will pass and out-distance him soon. I have been playing every event except DLC courses, but barely stayed ahead of Tiger. Toward the end of my second season, I started to gain a better score, even though the points (far right on the EA ranking screen) noted no changes for either of us. Now I am 13-14 points ahead of him.

Hopefully it starts changing in my favour lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that you "explained" this. I also like that people accepted this as correct without any question. Do you have a link to the site where EA told you this? Because if you don't, then you I'm pretty certain you are wrong.

EA rankings are supposed to simulate the real world golf rankings in which the only thing that matters is your finishing position in tournaments, especially more prestigious tournaments. I am 99.9% sure that is the case in TW12 as well, though if you have proof it is otherwise, show us.

For some people, the rankings get jacked because of a glitch where the events are stuck on a one-year rotation instead of two year so they only get 18 or 19 events in their ranking instead of 37. This means tiger keeps overtaking them when they skip dlc, regardless of winning the regular tournaments. I am pretty certain this is what is behind the confusion about the ranking system, since people with the glitch dont realize they have it at first and so they don't understand why they can't stay in first. At the same time, people without the glitch have no knowledge of it, so they come up with all sorts of non-helpful advice as they don't know the actual problem.

I like that you "explained" this. I also like that people accepted this as correct without any question. Do you have a link to the site where EA told you this? Because if you don't, then you I'm pretty certain you are wrong.

EA rankings are supposed to simulate the real world golf rankings in which the only thing that matters is your finishing position in tournaments, especially more prestigious tournaments. I am 99.9% sure that is the case in TW12 as well, though if you have proof it is otherwise, show us.

For some people, the rankings get jacked because of a glitch where the events are stuck on a one-year rotation instead of two year so they only get 18 or 19 events in their ranking instead of 37. This means tiger keeps overtaking them when they skip dlc, regardless of winning the regular tournaments. I am pretty certain this is what is behind the confusion about the ranking system, since people with the glitch dont realize they have it at first and so they don't understand why they can't stay in first. At the same time, people without the glitch have no knowledge of it, so they come up with all sorts of non-helpful advice as they don't know the actual problem.

How many events you get has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter whether it's a one or two year cycle. I play 10 tournaments a season: Champions Cup, The Players, 4 Majors, and the 4 Fedex Cup tournaments. My rankings don't go down at all. I've had the #1 spot for over 200 weeks. The rankings factor in stats such as GIRs, FIRs, putts, and score.

To be perfectly clear this thread is about the single player rankings, not the online. I am guessing the online is much different. But for single player...Seriously, stats has nothing to do with it. Real golf rankings explained:

http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/about_us/default.sps?iType=425

Finishing position is the only factor in the OWGR. Why would EA reinvent the wheel when this is part of real professional golf, which they have sought to emulate much more realistically this year than any otehr year? They had to use different min/max numbers because there are only 25 events in a season even if you the dlc, but besides that EA rankings are virtually the same. The minimum divisor is 25. This is easy to prove - if you have less than 25, do the math. Your avg is total points/25 regardless of number of events. This is some newbie cant get lucky, win a major and suddenly be number 1. There has to be consistency. The max is the last 37 tournaments played, which is exactly the number tiger always has. I will ask you, just like I asked the OP: If you have some proof EA chose to use a much more convoluted algorithym which includes stats, please show me. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

Someone will ask, "well if EA gives whole points for finishing position like the OWGR, where do the decimals come from?" I'm glad you asked. It isn't from stats being factored in, plus the OWGR has fractions as well and it is clear they don't use stats. It is because, after a certain number of weeks, the older tournaments become worth a little less each week. Proof: Create a new golfer, get to the PGA. For the first few tourneys, total points and avg points will be whole numbers. If you are really clever, you will can determine exactly how many ranking points a 2 star is worth versus the 5 star masters (how many more you have this week). But at some point in the season, you will suddenly have fractions. This isnt because the new tournament i worth 20.33. It because the oldest one is now only worth 19.67 instead of 20 (Those numbers are just examples, but that is the principle). The next week, that tourney will be 19.33, the next oldest will be 19.67, and so on until the first tourney becomes worth nothing at the end of two years or it gets shoved off because you have reached the maximum of 37 weeks.

Bottom line - without proof to the contrary, the way the EA rankings work makes perfect sense if you understand the OWGR and the simplest answer is usually the best.

A bit off topic but let me explain this a little further to NJAM:

First off, thanks for being one of the people offering non-helpful advice because you dont understand the problem.

You playing in 10 events doesn't matter because your game isnt glitched so you get credit for the last 2 years. Even though you still only have 20 events getting divided by 25, you are probably winning most, if not all, of them and they are the tournaments worth the most ranking points.

Since I can get the world #1 with the 19 included courses in one season, which have a bunch of 2 stars, of course you can keep it with 20 that are all 3 star and above.

The difference is, I cant keep it, becuase my game is glitched into a one year cycle so each week the tournament from the last year is dropped completely instead of only becoming worth a little bit less. This means I see-saw back and forth with tiger because it is impossible for me to get a big lead. the ~800 total points I have is the most I can get because it is the most you can earn in one season. But this fluctuates a bit based on where we are in the season, especially when I have to skip a dlc course. Since tiger gets 2 seasons of tourneys and it is divided 37/37 but mine is 19/25 including crappy events, I can only ever just barely top him if I win every tournament, but the second I skip a dlc, I lose an event and now have 18/25 and he still has 37/37. So he wins.

^ Sounds like this is what i'm having also. My Fir is 98%, Gir 97% I have around 250 eagles, 1000+ birdies, 250 pars, 11 bogies and 2 doubles bogies, 3 holes in 1 and 1 double eagle. I won every game in season 1 and got #1 doing the masters in y2 then lost it skipping the next dlc. When I have checked he EA ranking I always have around 800 points for whatever stat that is and around 32 for the other. Tiger has played nearly double the tournaments than me (something like 19 to his 37). The first year I played 4 rounds per tourney and changed it to 1 round on the 2nd year and wasn't sure if this was the case at first.

• 2 weeks later...

i am in year 2 won the masters my first year. I have an ave -20 under 98%fir 97%gir 300+ yrd drive ave i have 85 eagles 328 birdies 5 par 2 bogey and 1 double bogey for my career. i have not missed a fir or gir since the 6th tournament of the 1st year or had any hole worse than birdie. the longest i was no 1 was 7 weeks then i lost my no1 spot by winning a tournament at -23 with all fir and gir with 5 eagles and 13 birdies and tiger didn't even play this tounament. These rankings are all crap!!!!!!!!