Is this game hard or I'm just a lame...

ZERATUL PL

well, i played the demo like 10 times before the game came out, so maybe just more practice? i went through the first 4 battles without losing. my strategy was try to get my strongest creatures(preferably on their matching land color) and upgrade the land. then trying to adding on creatures to that same color to increase the chain. i ended up winning collosseum III with a score of 10,000 to 3,500 for the guy and 1,500 for the girl. hope this helps, just keep at it.

I felt like this game was much more fair than the one on PS2. I haven't lost a match yet in story or versus mode, but that fire lord was close. You just need to get your deck done right, especially depending on what map you're playing (high cost decks are great for small levels with a constant supply of tower $) and always include some type of control (like holy word anything or quicksand). Aside from that if you're still having problems switch from offense to defense and play it safe by keeping $ available and only levelling up a few territories. But most of all have patience.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a former Magic:TG player and came into the game with THAT kind of strategy/logic going for me, and have to say that I think this game is "tolerably difficult." It took me, as a complete n00b, about 2-3 times to beat Coliseum III.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to concentrate more on Synergy rather than "these are the 50 best cards I have, let's shove them into my book."

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say it's hard per se, because after the first match or two basically 90% of the gameplay is learned. For me, it's just a lack of luck. I always pull the crap cards at the crappiest time, and the CPU rapes me constantly.

I haven't even beat the first match yet (of course, I've only played it twice). As much as I'd like to use stupidity as an excuse, it's not. I just happen to have terrible luck.

Granted, as frustrating as this game is, it's still fun. So no matter how many times I have to replay that first level I'll still keep coming back (unless I get into the double digits, then I'll probably shelf this for a couple months).

EDIT: Tried two more times. I decided to go with the CPU's "place monsters everywhere" mindset, and I managed to pass 4k. Unfortunately I placed too much of a land upgrade on a monster that ended up costing me the game. Really frustrating, but hopefully when I beat this it gets slightly easier.

I'm getting some nice cards from losing though. :p I might even get the 500 cards achievement before winning my first match...

ive been playing M:tg for around 12 years now and i love just about every card/strategy game there is. i loved the demo for this game and went out and bought it. this game is CRAZY hard. not because the gameplay is difficult but the CPU opponents are omnipotent topdeck every single round!!! after loosing 5 times in a row in the FIRST area i immediately sold it on ebay the very day that i bought it. this game has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with luck.

http://card.mygamercard.net/cylinder/reject444.png

Once you get the hang of the system, and some decent cards, it's a piece of cake. Time-consuming, but it does get easier.

What I did, was make a Blue/Yellow deck and a Red/Green deck. By using the opposite deck of whatever my opponents were using, I could easily counter most creatures.

Just like in Magic, once you get a deck you like, it becomes easier and easier to win.

ive been playing M:tg for around 12 years now and i love just about every card/strategy game there is. i loved the demo for this game and went out and bought it. this game is CRAZY hard. not because the gameplay is difficult but the CPU opponents are omnipotent topdeck every single round!!! after loosing 5 times in a row in the FIRST area i immediately sold it on ebay the very day that i bought it. this game has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with luck.

so you lost five times in a row and you gave up and are telling everyone else its all based on luck? no its not all based on luck, its based on how you set up your deck compared to how your opponent's deck is set up. sure, some of the rolling of the die can get lucky....but isnt that the same with any game anywhere? some luck is involved in every game, and some skill is also involved. perhaps if you took a bit more time to learn the game, you may have enjoyed it a bit more. you have to build up better cards...you cant expect to win every match with the base deck that they give you....otherwise it wouldnt be a base deck and the game wouldnt be challenging whatsoever. doesnt seem right to try to push people away from playing this game after what seems like a day worth of gameplay.

p.s. the game is very good, if you have patience you will enjoy it

I think one thing that might make this game seem harder is that matches can take a really, really, really long time. That's the main thing that keeps it on my shelf instead of in the 360 for extended periods. I'm losing one three-way match now that's been going on for a couple of hours. Part of the problem is that with a decent deck, you have something of an advantage against the AI, but if you don't play it properly, it gives them just enough of an edge to extend the game, kind of like playing chess poorly against a weaker opponent.

There are other things, like not being able to see the map when you're moving and reach a fork in the road, that can make it difficult to make the right move, but with practice at dueling, play, and deck-building, the game will become easier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
so you lost five times in a row and you gave up and are telling everyone else its all based on luck? no its not all based on luck, its based on how you set up your deck compared to how your opponent's deck is set up. sure, some of the rolling of the die can get lucky....but isnt that the same with any game anywhere? some luck is involved in every game, and some skill is also involved. perhaps if you took a bit more time to learn the game, you may have enjoyed it a bit more. you have to build up better cards...you cant expect to win every match with the base deck that they give you....otherwise it wouldnt be a base deck and the game wouldnt be challenging whatsoever. doesnt seem right to try to push people away from playing this game after what seems like a day worth of gameplay.

p.s. the game is very good, if you have patience you will enjoy it

i loved the demo and the game SEEMED realy good. but as i said, when i bought the game the opponent was suddenly omnipotent. maybe it was just odd coincidence that it topdecked its best cards every single game. but any game where i have to loose 4-6 times to obtain cards to beat the first challange is not a game i want to be playing. if the same happened in any other game id do the same. throw me in call of duty with only a knife and fork and tell me to run out and get killed 5-6 times before u hand me a gun? i think ill pass...