newbie question for my lv45 character

hi everyone i guees i'm not the only person who came back to the game after long time. The game does offer some tutorial in this case which is a nice touch.

I use one hand sword and shield and follow that "make god weapon" sticky thread so I think my armor and weapon are at least top (didn't go crazy or anything but still I finished the game without any trouble)

however i now find the enemies very hard. I tried to finish the theif guild quest but is stuck in the dungeon where you are supposed to find and finish the bad guy. I can't get through because if I got one shot of an average generic falmer arrow, it will almost take half of my life. That almost renders my charater useless since i can't avoid arrows coming from behind!

I can certainly try to sneak and play safe (two NPC with me this quest) but still found this ridiculous. I thought i'm dragonborn! anyone can tip me how to get better block against arrow? or is there something i should enchant my shield or armor? thanks a lot.

hi everyone i guees i'm not the only person who came back to the game after long time. The game does offer some tutorial in this case which is a nice touch.

I use one hand sword and shield and follow that "make god weapon" sticky thread so I think my armor and weapon are at least top (didn't go crazy or anything but still I finished the game without any trouble)

however i now find the enemies very hard. I tried to finish the theif guild quest but is stuck in the dungeon where you are supposed to find and finish the bad guy. I can't get through because if I got one shot of an average generic falmer arrow, it will almost take half of my life. That almost renders my charater useless since i can't avoid arrows coming from behind!

I can certainly try to sneak and play safe (two NPC with me this quest) but still found this ridiculous. I thought i'm dragonborn! anyone can tip me how to get better block against arrow? or is there something i should enchant my shield or armor? thanks a lot.

Ok, I assume you mean the Mercer Frey mission with Karliah and Brynjolf which can be fairly tough. You have a lvl 45 character but we know little else so:

Hps?

Combat skills levels?

Potions carried?

Any spell school levels?

Game difficulty settings?

The problem a lot of people have is they level up skills that aren't combat-oriented such as smithing, speech and alchemy easily, meaning they gain character levels and enemies get stronger but the actual character doesn't get any stronger. It's important to make sure your combat skills improve along with your level as well as the more crafting-based skills.

You can get a perk in the shield perk tree that allows you to block arrows, and I would also suggest putting some skill points into your armor skill tree to reduce incoming damage.

However for a quick and easy solution you should stock up on Potions and/or healing spells as they will be your best friends in these sorts of situations.

Ok, I assume you mean the Mercer Frey mission with Karliah and Brynjolf which can be fairly tough. You have a lvl 45 character but we know little else so:

Hps?

Combat skills levels?

Potions carried?

Any spell school levels?

Game difficulty settings?

The problem a lot of people have is they level up skills that aren't combat-oriented such as smithing, speech and alchemy easily, meaning they gain character levels and enemies get stronger but the actual character doesn't get any stronger. It's important to make sure your combat skills improve along with your level as well as the more crafting-based skills.

thanks~ glad to know the dungeon is indeed a litle bit tough especially when i'm not ready for intense combat

hp is around 350 i think, i didn't check the difficulty settings but i may get it higher after i got that armor.. does this affect achievement or anything?

spell was really basic for me which I am regretting now. I don't know what I did with my perks. but not one point went to the restoration!

i think my safe bet now is just load an earlier point and go get lots of potions!

You can get a perk in the shield perk tree that allows you to block arrows, and I would also suggest putting some skill points into your armor skill tree to reduce incoming damage.

However for a quick and easy solution you should stock up on Potions and/or healing spells as they will be your best friends in these sorts of situations.

thanks.. though i am not sure there's a shield perk three? or u mean block tree?

i think i should stock up potions just to scrape through this first.

is the imperial vs rebel quest easier than this? maybe i should get to that first to get some feeling first.

yes sorry I meant block skill tree.

I haven't personally done the thief guild questline so I can not compare. Also I am probably not the best person to ask about difficulty because I personally didn't have any real trouble with any parts of the game that I have done, on master difficulty and without using glitches or exploits.

Definitely get some potions, it will allow you to keep playing with your preferred style.

Oh and difficulty does not affect achievements at all, and you can change it at any time, even in the middle of battle. So if you still find yourself having trouble, try changing that to a lower setting.

thanks~ glad to know the dungeon is indeed a litle bit tough especially when i'm not ready for intense combat

hp is around 350 i think, i didn't check the difficulty settings but i may get it higher after i got that armor.. does this affect achievement or anything?

spell was really basic for me which I am regretting now. I don't know what I did with my perks. but not one point went to the restoration!

i think my safe bet now is just load an earlier point and go get lots of potions!

Changing difficulty does NOTHING to affect the achievements.

Can we get your armor stats and what enchantments you have on them? You said you didn't go that crazy with your armor so if you don't have your armor stats maxed to the cut off point (can't remember what it is exactly) that could be part of the problem. Also your armor enchantments (and whether you have double enchant) can make a massive difference.

Once I finished my armor (I didn't go crazy either) I barely ever saw my health bar drop (and that includes standing there and just laughing as Legendary dragons attacked me) and I was just barely above the cut off point and had reasonable enchantments.

Just generally, I always carried a ton of healing potions and always had strong ones saved to my "favorites" for access without entering the main item menus. I hate using magic to heal...It takes to long and wastes magicka I can use for destruction spells.

Finally, in Skyrim I always supplement my main weapon with Archery. Not only is it insanely useful for dragons but any dungeon you find difficult can be made pathetically easy just be being sneaky with a bow.

Edited by bigbear.

I completely agree with using archery. I started off using archery as a secondary type of attack but it quickly became my primary, as it is extremely effective. It does take a while to level up though if you haven't done anything yet, but it would be something for OP to try. With both one handed and archery maxed out and using dragonbone weapons, my bow is much stronger. Add in the fact I have my bow enchanted with paralyze, and I also have the perks that give a chance to paralyze and the one that knocks enemies back a little, there isn't much that can even get close to me.

Edited by BluWolve

I completely agree with using archery. I started off using archery as a secondary type of attack but it quickly became my primary, as it is extremely effective. It does take a while to level up though if you haven't done anything yet, but it would be something for OP to try. With both one handed and archery maxed out and using dragonbone weapons, my bow is much stronger. Add in the fact I have my bow enchanted with paralyze, and I also have the perks that give a chance to paralyze and the one that knocks enemies back a little, there isn't much that can even get close to me.

An archer with high stealth is one of the most overpowered characters you can create.

If you do things right about the only thing you can't one shot with a sneak attack is [spoiler=123]Alduin

An archer with high stealth is one of the most overpowered characters you can create.

If you do things right about the only thing you can't one shot with a sneak attack is [spoiler=123]Alduin

Haha yeah you are right, I am at the point now where I rarely even use my bow as it isn't a challenge anymore.

Changing difficulty does NOTHING to affect the achievements.

Can we get your armor stats and what enchantments you have on them? You said you didn't go that crazy with your armor so if you don't have your armor stats maxed to the cut off point (can't remember what it is exactly) that could be part of the problem. Also your armor enchantments (and whether you have double enchant) can make a massive difference.

i'm away from game so long that i barely have idea about what armor stats are. i need to slowly crawl back into game and read more i think. enchantmen mostly goes to one hand attack increase and resist magic.. but for further enchantment and i need to read that post again to make sure i get most out of the enchantment right... and I don't know where I put the whole set of +enchanting +smithing stuff... :(

i did have no problem at all finishing the game with very rare death so i'm simply shocked now my character needs further enchantment or carrying loads of potion to go fight some GENERIC guys!

for now i am switching to the imperial vs rebel guild quest and see if i can slowly catch up with the game.

thanks for your answers :)

i'm away from game so long that i barely have idea about what armor stats are. i need to slowly crawl back into game and read more i think. enchantmen mostly goes to one hand attack increase and resist magic.. but for further enchantment and i need to read that post again to make sure i get most out of the enchantment right... and I don't know where I put the whole set of +enchanting +smithing stuff... :(

i did have no problem at all finishing the game with very rare death so i'm simply shocked now my character needs further enchantment or carrying loads of potion to go fight some GENERIC guys!

for now i am switching to the imperial vs rebel guild quest and see if i can slowly catch up with the game.

thanks for your answers :)

The thing is the enemies scale to your level, so if you are level 45 mostly from enchanting, smithibg and alchemy then you are going to run into trouble no matter what questline you do. Granted the Falmer can be extremely irritating in caves if you are running a mostly melee build, in sure you have no trouble actually killing them when you are close to them.

If you already have a strong melee weapon, I would personally enchant my stuff to provide HP and armor bonuses, at least until you can put enough skill points into your chosen armors skill tree to be comfortable with changing it back to increasing damage output.

this was the one mission I had trouble with and died many times. And i was level 40, had 90 or so in one handed and same in light armour. And playing on VERY EASY, heck i could run up to dragons and whack with them with my sword of flaming and they'd die in 5 hits!

So this one is tricky for no real reason. I'd turn the difficulty right down - or go and try another mission - I didn't like the civil war stuff as in battles it was blooming impossible to see which side i was attacking!

this was the one mission I had trouble with and died many times. And i was level 40, had 90 or so in one handed and same in light armour. And playing on VERY EASY, heck i could run up to dragons and whack with them with my sword of flaming and they'd die in 5 hits!

So this one is tricky for no real reason. I'd turn the difficulty right down - or go and try another mission - I didn't like the civil war stuff as in battles it was blooming impossible to see which side i was attacking!

The first time I did this one it was difficult, however for me it was the last part. I played it at about level 25 or so, at Novice level, as a Battlemage.

You need to keep moving to avoid being hit. I usually run around with a Sword and Healing in the other hand.

The civil war I had the same issue, just move to a place where there were less enemies and easier to figure them out.

• 2 weeks later...