Everything you need to get your time trial achievements

Jakez123

Not sure if this has been posted, but I just wanted to put this here just in case anyone needed help obtaining 50 or a 90 star skill rating.

I personally used these time trial tutorials done by ovendonkey186 on youtube. He has done a tutorial for every time trial in the game (YES, even the pure time trials), his videos are long and detailed. They all follow the same format:

He goes through the stage commentating on what the player should do and tells them the fastest way to get through the stage

Outlines any hard jumps and shows the viewer how to do them

Shows you a real 3-star run from start to finish

He used to be a world record holder for many levels when it came to time trials (although they've been beaten now) so he knows what he's talking about.

This is the playlist:

Also, he uses the "side jump boost", but that isn't necessary to learn.

With this guy I earned my 90 stars (from 50 stars) in less than a day.

Also, he does tutorials for the speedrun achievements which is a bonus.

If you want a taste for what his videos are like, here is one of his tutorials:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ujin0nDoX0]Mirror's Edge tutorial - Convoy 2 time trial - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Jakez123

• 2 weeks later...

ovendonkey186 is a legend at Mirror's Edge! He has helped me get my 72 stars so far. I've also been following

, his videos are just 3 star runs with no tutorials but he takes different paths that I couldn't pull off from ovendonkey's videos.

I was able to 3 star all the original maps except for Playground 3, Atrium 1, and Shard 1 but I did 2 star them. I'll be going back to the DLC maps to knock out some more stars.

Great post by the way, even those these videos have been brought up before in the past, its helpful to those that are just jumping into the game for the first time. Especially with talks of ME2 around the corner, I decided to come back and finish off my last two achievements.

EDIT:

Unlocked strange new worlds achieve.. 15 more stars to go...

Edited by Divine Infekt

Alright, I have 89 stars now and I am about to tap out, so close yet so far away! I have 3 stars in everything except the following:

Chroma **, Acinto **, Acinto Rise *, Playground Three **, Atrium One **, Shard One **

Not sure which one to take on at this point, they're all really tough.

EDIT:

I 3 Stared CHROMA!!!!! fuck yeah bitches! 90*s!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thank you ovendonkey! It feels good to have this game 100% completed now. Never did i think i was going to reach 90*s. Good luck to anyone still going for this, you need a lot of patience, and perseverance. Hardest achievement ever.

Edited by Divine Infekt
SUPERSTAR

Yep, I used his videos as well, he helped me get 9 stars in the time trials. I also follow his channel for whenever he posts any new Mirror's Edge videos.

Alright, I have 89 stars now and I am about to tap out, so close yet so far away! I have 3 stars in everything except the following:

Chroma **, Acinto **, Acinto Rise *, Playground Three **, Atrium One **, Shard One **

I'd skip Actino, that one was an annoying 3*. I believe out of those, Chroma is the easiest followed by Playground 3. Shard One and Atrium were obnoxious and Actino Rise is just plain hard.

Yep, I used his videos as well, he helped me get 9 stars in the time trials. I also follow his channel for whenever he posts any new Mirror's Edge videos.

I'd skip Actino, that one was an annoying 3*. I believe out of those, Chroma is the easiest followed by Playground 3. Shard One and Atrium were obnoxious and Actino Rise is just plain hard.

Just got my 90 stars! I took out Chroma. I can never seem to keep up speed in Playground 3, even though i can do all the jumps that ovendonkey does. I am only off by 3 seconds on Acinto, if only I can make that ridiculous jump at the beginning I can probably 3 star it. Same story with Shard 1, I cannot make that jump on the air conditioner box (?) on a consistent basis, only off 3 seconds on it too.

But I'll have to say the easiest one to 3 star, is Kinect (once you know where to go) i screwed up 2 jumps and died once and i still got 3 stars on it. i dont remember if playground one was that forgiving.

EDIT:

I 3 Stared CHROMA!!!!! fuck yeah bitches! 90*s!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thank you ovendonkey! It feels good to have this game 100% completed now. Never did i think i was going to reach 90*s. Good luck to anyone still going for this, you need a lot of patience, and perseverance. Hardest achievement ever.

Firstly, congratulations, I personally couldn't use the side jump boost. Chroma, wow, nice I couldn't come close to 3 starring that.

The main problem is Actino rise with 1 star, TBH you should have went for the 2 star on that trial. Just looked at actino rise, it's pretty easy to 2 star.

I Had 2 stars in Chroma, Actino rise, Shard one, Atrium one, and 3 more, can't remember them.

Playground 3 took me like an hour to do to get 3 stars.

Again, congrats.

Firstly, congratulations, I personally couldn't use the side jump boost. Chroma, wow, nice I couldn't come close to 3 starring that.

The main problem is Actino rise with 1 star, TBH you should have went for the 2 star on that trial. Just looked at actino rise, it's pretty easy to 2 star.

I Had 2 stars in Chroma, Actino rise, Shard one, Atrium one, and 3 more, can't remember them.

Playground 3 took me like an hour to do to get 3 stars.

Again, congrats.

Thanks! I tried to two star Acinto Rise, even after following ovendonkey's footsteps I was still 10 seconds behind the two star time. With dedication i could have done it but I was only one star away and i wanted this journey over fast! I worked on Chroma because the path on this course is very simple, if you can maintain top speed the entire race, and perform the two perfect wall rans on the curved glass walls (i always screwed up that second part and ended up on a lower platform and then having to jump up to the next level.) ovendonkey did not do the two wall runs in his video, i thought what he did was slower. if you can do the second wall run and then jump to the top platform there it saves you from climbing it but you must be at top speed. it saved me 2-3 seconds, if you know what section i'm talking about.

Edited by Divine Infekt

Thanks! I tried to two star Acinto Rise, even after following ovendonkey's footsteps I was still 10 seconds behind the two star time. With dedication i could have done it but I was only one star away and i wanted this journey over fast! I worked on Chroma because the path on this course is very simple, if you can maintain top speed the entire race, and perform the two perfect wall rans on the curved glass walls (i always screwed up that second part and ended up on a lower platform and then having to jump up to the next level.) ovendonkey did not do the two wall runs in his video, i thought what he did was slower. if you can do the second wall run and then jump to the top platform there it saves you from climbing it but you must be at top speed. it saved me 2-3 seconds, if you know what section i'm talking about.

Yea, I know perfectly what part you're talking about, chroma for me was too plain, run forward for 20 seconds, jump for 15 seconds, wall run for the last sections. I couldn't use the side-jump boost so the long running sections hindered me. I'm more into speed-vaulting and jumping all over the place. Chroma was the first time trial I played in the DLC and after trying it I thought "Wait, I may not be able to get the achievement if they're all this hard." Fast forward 12 hours and I got my cheevo for 90 stars.

IMO Chroma was the hardest time trial for me.

I loved Actino rise (even though I got 2 stars on it), when I first played the level I had the "easy way out" mentality because I knew I didn't NEED to get 3 stars, hence I got 2 stars then said to myself "If I need that third star I'll come back to it." The only problem with that level is that sometimes the jumps are random, sometimes I'll speed-vault, sometimes I'll climb up the wall slowly, sometimes Faith won't even run up the wall. It was so random I did get frustrated at some points.

Edited by Jakez123

• 4 weeks later...
After 5 years of procrastinating I FINALLY started this game. It's reassuring to see recent threads of interest. Thanks for the YouTube links. I don't know what took me so long!

Good luck, no matter how hard the trials seem, you can do them. Personally some trials I barely obtained the 3 stars using the videos and in other trials I beat the 3 star time by 10+ seconds, practice is essential.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Jakez your a legend for posting these videos, I have put off the trials for years and just watched a few of these and it finally looks bearable, might try this very soon, It never helped I hated the game!

No problem man, I was in a similar situation beforehand. When I first played the game I initially went for the 50 stars cheevo, to do that I simply copied what the world record replays were doing - but they never explained the techniques they used so I had some trouble.

Later on I decided to go for the 90 stars cheevo to get into Ceris' staff club and I came across this guy's videos. They are fully explained and he goes through it step by step - this is what I needed all them years ago.

I'm sure there are many other people out there which are also put off by these trials but they're actually easy when you spend some time on them after watching OvenDonkey's videos.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...