Anybody have the Platinum Edition?

Jack Frost

The reason I ask is that I recently picked this up used from GameStop and managed to score the Add-on disc that comes with the Platinum (Director's Cut, I believe) Edition of the game.

However, despite there being nothing wrong with it that I can see, my 360 refuses to read the Add-on disc. It'll sometimes tell me I can play the disc as a DVD, which gets me a black screen, and occasionally says "Play Game" but that just results in an XBOX Live error code.

Now the copy of the main game I received is NOT the Platinum Edition version (the field of color behind the XBOX logo on the disc is white and not grey - and the GameStop I bought it at didn't have any Platinum versions in their stock), and so I have a question hopefully someone could answer...

Does the installation of the Add-on content initiate from the start screen of the Platinum Edition of the main game? For example, when you select "Downloadable Content" does the game prompt you to switch discs? Or is the add-on content installed simply from the Add-on disc?

I mention this because the original GOTY version of Fallout 3 was like this - you couldn't install the DLC on the 2nd disc without initiating the install from the main game disc. If this is the case with Mafia II, then I'll know why my XBOX won't handle the disc properly.

I'm just wondering if there's any way I can make the add-on disc work since just two of the DLCs are more expensive on XBOX Marketplace than I payed for the main game. Or, if it doesn't work, I can give up knowing that I at least tried...

Barring that, anyone know if that DLC will be 50% anytime soon? :D

• 1 month later...

Might be late with the answer, but here it goes anyway.

I have the Classics Edition (it's the European version for Platinum), with two discs: one for the main game and one for the DLCs.

As the manual says, you have to put in the DLC disc first, go through the install, then you can install the main game. I'm not sure if you can play DLC from the disc.

Try uninstall everything, then put in the DLC disc. If it not starts the install procedure, take it back.

Anothe advice, with such an old game you should try to buy a new copy. I just bought myself for a very low price (in some places the main game costs more) You might spare a couple of bucks by buying used, but you can get problems in exchange.

Hope it helped, and don't forget to read the manual, there is a reason why they make them.

edit: just realised you bought it used, I guess it came without manual.

Edited by psybOltOn

• 2 months later...

And forgive the lateness of my response. :D

Anyway, it looks as if the disc is simply unreadable as my XBOX will simply not find any inf on it. More often than not I get the "Play DVD" prompt at the dashboard.

Of course, after reading this I attempted to install the Add-On disc first, but nothing happens, and as I mentioned, the disc can't be read. But thanks for answering the question because now I can stop trying to get it to work.

The initial problem came from the fact that when I bought the game, the girl at GameStop handed me the two copies they had to let me choose which disc I wanted. When I realized that one was the add-on disc, I managed to get them to give me both. However, as I mention in the initial post, the Full Game disc is just a regular vanilla version and not the Platinum Hits version.

Which is why my manual has no installation instructions for the add-on disc.

At any rate, now I know that the disc doesn't work and can move on.

Cheers for the info...

• 4 weeks later...

Your situation is not unique to the vanilla copy since I too am having the same issue.

I bought the platinum hits version new from walmart and am unable to install the add-on content. The manual has instructions to insert add-on disc first and wait for the title update prompt then its suppose to do some install magic then remove and use main game disc.

I've tried every way I could think of; cleared system cache, restart xbox, pray, follow instructions again while reading them aloud so that the xbox knew I wasn't being incredulous. Nothing worked. I did contact 2k support but their response has been uninspiring so far.