Neighborhood Watch Guide

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second one and I guess the sixth one (7th?) or whichever one it is that blows up that one story building a left and a right turn away from the lumber yard cabin are tough. You might have to restart a couple saves away for the latter because you can get stuck in a loop where no matter how you approach him he blows up the building as soon as you get there. As long as you know you have to take him out before the one that is on the other side near the water tower you should be OK.

That saved my day, because after killing the Watertower strider, no matter from where or when I approached him, he'd blow the building up as soon as I got there.

Achievement unlocked, thanks for the guide. And I guess I could have saved me alot of swearing if I read the other posts about the fast striders

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just did this.

Took me hours to do last night and couldnt see how you could keep the saw mill alive.

But shadowr4ven advice is gold. Oh and is easily posible on Normal, althou i did end it with 8hp :p

Heres some tips:

-1st strider Boost and run over the first hunter, YOU HAVE THE TIME, then drive back to the saw mill, leave the bomb on the back, and take one out from the despenser and fire and the strider, who is now alot closer to the saw mill.

Then jump in the car and boost to the 2nd strider, to have enough time to kill it.

-Use car as cover When you press X to jump out of the car it will carry on for a second more before it stops, allowing you to be placed behind the car to grab the bomb quickly. ALSO can use the car as effective cover till the strider gets closer. Duck, steady your aim, fire and quick switch and fire again to detonate, before a hunter shoots off the bomb. If you shoot the bomb on the top of the strider, normally the hunters cant get it off.

-Run hunters over when ever possible, unless its a fast strider

-Use your weopons Comes a point where you cant run over all the hunters and have a face off at the large house down from the water tower. 2 Rockets will generally kill a hunter, or can be finished off by a couple of shots, of anything else. The Alt fire of the Combine rifle kills instantly. Few times grouped hunters together, and took out 2 or 3 at a time (AI seems to dumb down after a while). Theres also about 6 explosive gas canisters in the building, and some Alt fire orbs (if you have saved some thou the game you might have 2or 3 available anyway)

-Only 3 striders destroy the houses The fast striders are the ones that croutch alot. Only 3 of them. 2nd that goes to saw mill. One that goes to the large house. One that goes down to the small shack below the sawmill/cranes

-After the break where you take out the hunters at the large house, it seems alot easier.(Think the AI dumbs down) (I did this all on NORMAL)

-Health and ammo in the large house and the small shack below the sawmill/cranes, as well as bombs.

Hope that helps guys. other than that just look at the radar!

Just need the "friend like these" and the portal challenges ones now! 4 Achievements to go!!!! w00t

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this guide. First time I've tried it, it looks like very impossible achievement to achieve...but this guide has helped me ALOT and I managed to get an achievement. :D

Thank you so much for easy-to-follow steps guide, as well FroZeNSouL's skills. :)

What's great thing is I just got back to Xbox 360 achievements world after few months of not bothering to play my 360, and I managed to get this achievement. :D

Only about 12 achievements to go on Orange Box (although I don't think I'll get three of them :p) :)

Lol, I did this on Normal without switching to Easy! I guess I didn't think about switching it. Still,I decided to save often and use my car to ram and run over those Hunters. I hated that very fast strider that attempted and blowing up that little lodge building. Still,after many tries,I overcame the dreaded Striders!

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot get this one accomplished! I have even set the difficulty to easy and I can't get the striders fast enough! I aint gots no skillz I guess!

You and me both. I got frustrated and gave up on it for now. I kept getting into spots where a Strider would get ahead of me & make it to a house or the silo and blow them up as soon as I came onto the screen. Maybe I'll try again... in a few months.

Thankyou so much for this. I managed to do the whole sequence in just about exactly an hour. Once you take care of those 3 that destroy the buildings it isn't too bad.

Definitely. I was getting quite frustrated. But once the last "fast" strider was done, it was cake.

[EDIT] I take that back, I just got it out of luck. It wasn't as hard as I thought. It's all about speediness, marksmanship, and johnny-on-the-spotedness (if that's even a word). You've just got to focus on those three 'fast runners' and then move to the rest. Use those logs as well as your car as weapons against those pesky Hunters. If you can, kill those hunters first to give you a clear shot against the striders. After you kill a 'fast running' strider save right afterwards!

Now it's time for me to move on to Aperture Science, which is without-a-doubt much more difficult (for me).

• 2 weeks later...

I got it on first try. Not the striders themselves, but I kept reloading a save, but I got to know the area REALLY well, so with that knowlege, I just used faster and quicker routes to get to the faster striders and it worked. The funny thing was, the whole time, I forgot to drop of Lil' Bastard (the gnome) in the rocket and was carrying him with me the entire fight.

Great guide. Got it, THANKS.

Here are my highlights:

1. Play on EASY (I've compared it to normal and it helps significantly)

2. Let Strider 1 come close to the sawmill so you can quickly take out nr. 2 without driving too much

3. Kill the Hunters as often as the guide suggests. This also helps and takes away some of the stress

4. I consider nr. 6 to be the hardest, after you finish 8 and get the break things should be easier

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoa thanks a lot Steve50013. I haven't played this game since it came out and only recently tried going back to unlock some achievements. I was planning on just skipping this one but I'll give it a shot now since your guide seems pretty in depth. Wish me luck lol

**EDIT** I just beat this thing on my first try! Your guide plus the tips other people posted here REALLY helped a lot. After the three fast striders, it was super easy! Thanks again!

Edited by tnavi23

• 3 weeks later...
got it. so, 90 minutes i guess. hard shit.

holy crap that ending.

i agree that #2 is a pain in the ass. i haven't killed anymore after that(i had to go to work and i haven't gotten back to this yet). would you or anyone here say that it's the only one that fires it's lazr right after it appears? i killed it out of pure luck from the opposite side of the saw mill and that bomb must've bee carried by angels or something. i got after a few tries because i saved right after i blew the first one and i really don't know if i can deal with more crap like that.