PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Clive Barker's Jericho
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
asnaz11

kushassassin2o6's Gamercard
Truly 1 of the most underrated games ever, if u need to be convinced 2 get this, read

After hearing the horrible reviews, I didn't really think about this game. However, if I wasn't so ignorant at first about the game and if I actually knew what the game was about, I would have ignored the reviews and got it. But eventually I read about it online and figured why not, so I rented it a while ago (probably at least a year) and instantly from the get-go it was a game I loved. I asked for it for Christmas and I just beat the game on hard yesterday again, and I had a blast, even though I had played through it before.

I cannot stress enough how much of an underrated game this is. I'm really quite irritated at magazines like EGM who gave this a 3/10. I mean good lord, the game's worth 30 bucks in my opinion, easily. Of course, reviews are completely subjective, but I'm almost angry at the game magazines/big sites that gave this game below 5/10. This game is truly awesome. I love games like Call of Duty 1/2/3/4/5, Halo 1/2/3, Black, Far Cry 2, Doom 3, and other FPS, but this game is so unique and really is such a blast to play.

Things I liked about this game
;
-Graphics are amazing. People who complain about them must be spoiled silly or something with other games, I was really impressed with the graphics here. This game seriously ranks top on my list of best graphics in a game, whether you agree with me or not.
-Guns/Weapons are sweet. There's quite a variety, from Machine Pistols to even Katanas (I love Church!!), Miniguns to a G36 Assault Rifle fitted with a Shotgun as a secondary weapon (I love this thing), a Sniper Rifle with a Grenade Launcher as well as Dual Desert Eagles w/extended clips that can either be fitted with Explosive, Fragment, or Regular rounds, a SMG with a telescopic sight which can point out enemy weaknesses, grenades which can be set to 4 different modes (remote, 2 second, impact, and proximity), and a .50 caliber pistol as a sidearm.
-The powers of each team member are unique and awesome. The animations/graphics for each power is done very well and the resulting effects are awesome! Let's see, we got a:
-Witch chick who uses a knife to carve her own blood and can create either a Fire Ward, which sets enemies on fire, or a Blood Ward, which binds enemies with weird blood rope things and freezes them for a short period of time.
-A "Pyromancer" Sgt who has a huge thing on his arm which releases a flame spirit that resembles a snake which sets enemies on fire and flies around (is pretty much homing), and has a fire barrier which makes him invulnerable to fire.
-A "Reality Hacker" chick which can slow down time or uses a "firestorm" which makes the team's weapons more powerful for a short period of time. She also "updates/downloads" the team with ammo automatically.
-A Psychic man who can use "Astral Projection" to jump out of his body and posses others in order to open doors and other stuff. Once possesing an enemy, he can bind together the team's powers (such a telekenesis) to open doors and stuff.
-A telekenetic chick who can use a "Ghost Bullet" which slows down time for you, and basically is like a Guided Missile, but a bullet you can use to guide into enemies heads for ownage headshots. She also uses Telekenesis to move large objects like piles or rubble or boulders in the way.
-The "Father" exorcist who can heal downed teammates from long range, using a blue ball of energy conjured from his hands, and can curse enemies, causing enemies' health to regenerate teammates if they hit the enemy with conventional weapons.
-The controls are incredibly easy to learn. I have the game on the highest sensitivty, but the controls are tight, responsive, and almost perfect feeling in my opinion. Simply put, the left and right bumpers are the two different powers for each teammate, the left trigger is secondary weapon and the primary weapon is right trigger, y is turn flashlight on, left and right on the D-Pad control the two squads in the team (they are split up 3 on each squad, it's like Rainbow Six Vegas, you hit left or right on the D-pad and the squads will head to that location), up and down on the D-Pad control "Follow Me" and "Hold position," respectively, b is melee attack, and zoom is clicking in the right thumbstick. to switch characters either hold a and pick one or have your crosshair over the desired teammate and hit A.
-The story is actually well done. Even the reviews that bashed this game noted the story was well done, thanks to Clive Barker. I actually cared about the characters, and while the ending fight is shocking, the actual ending sucks, but there's 2 sequels planned as this is a trilogy, so seeing a cliffhanger ending really shouldn't be that surprising.
-Pretty cool boss battles. I won't mention any, as I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but they're awesome. There are truly some epic moments (I like the last boss battle a lot)

Things I didn't like;
-No vibration in the controller when shooting guns. I was incredibly disappointed, this game would have been much better if there was vibration, as in some parts of the game (rarely), there are instances when your controller vibrates, which makes absolutely no sense at all.
-No multiplayer/Co-op. Would have been a freakin amazing co-op game, I hope they make it co-op for the next game. Still a great Single Player Experience, though.
-Somewhat repetitive enemy types. The enemies are fun to fight, but there isn't much variety, other than the bosses. Rarely do you see a lot of variety in the enemy types, but it's nothing to discourage you from getting the game, there's a fair amount of enemy types and bosses, although you sometimes end up fighting the same enemy for several levels.
-Somewhat repetitive level design. Not as bad as, say Halo 1 (I still love the game though), but pretty repetitive. Again, nothing to really worry about, but I feel there was some repetition.

All in all, this game is simply put amazing. I was so impressed by it, and I know a lot of others feel this way. This game is definitely worth a rent, if not a buy (it's very cheap these days). I've heard people say they bought this game for 7 bucks and were "cheated out of my money," but wow, don't listen to them. This game is easily worth 30 bucks, if not 7 to rent it, so I suggest you guys go out and get it!!!!!!

asnaz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
deaks

ModernJuggler's Gamercard
I agree. This game was just a victim of bad timing. Other cooler games were coming out at the same time and it just never seemed to catch on. This really is a great game to play especially single player. I just recently picked it up again and it's really fun.
deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
asnaz11

kushassassin2o6's Gamercard
Yep. No matter how many "big" games (Gears of War, Halo for example) come out, I still enjoy the "small" ones thoroughly. I also enjoyed "Legendary" a lot as well. I'm not sure what games came out when Jerico did, but it still remains to this day one of my favorite games!! I just made this topic so hopefully people will at least rent it.
asnaz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
WUBBLE1989

wubble1989's Gamercard
Exclamation come on now ,listen

people this game is truly something , i would highly recommend it
for many different reasons:
1. it is a great game
2. it is fairly cheap now
3.unique character

the only have 2 bad point i have against this game is that on part of the game i get slightly bored and no LIVE OR MULTIPLAYER AT ALL.
WUBBLE1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
Darth Nightwing

Darth Nightwing's Gamercard
I am a huge fan of 1st person shooting games but I also like games with a good story line like RPG. This has both. The story line is really unique and I have to say I really enjoyed this game. I am with these guys on saying that it is an underrated game.

For the easy achievements, and how low price it is now. I would have to say this is one of the games that everyone should atleast try, if only for the easy 1000 achievment score

Darth Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to Eternal Send a message via MSN to Eternal

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Gold   Donator - Level 1   x360a Book Club   SOTF Winner   Road Map - Silver   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
I saw this game for $30 (which is really cheap here) and I didn't know whether to get it or not. Thanks to you, I might be getting it
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Armakuni

Send a message via ICQ to Armakuni Send a message via MSN to Armakuni

Armakuni K's Gamercard
Interesting thread, at least for seeing how different people's impressions can be. My opinion is that Jericho had some cool characters, weapons and story but was hampered by really bad level design and repetitive combat against boring enemy types.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
A 2rue boofer
Banned User

A 2rue boofer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Y this game is really kool the concept of it was amazing
A 2rue boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
Tussell

Send a message via AIM to Tussell Send a message via MSN to Tussell

tussell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   10,000 posts   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tournament - Winner   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I just bought it, and I must say it's decent, but definitely not the most underrated game. For the 360, I would go with either of the Condemned games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektrohazard View Post
To anyone who is planning to buy this game, I highly recommend the special edition. It's the exact same price, but it comes with an awesome art book, and a DVD which is probably the best game DVD I have seen.

This is the kind of game you can really get wrapped up in, because it has a unique, complex, and involved story line. Probably one of the best I have seen since Star Wars: KOTOR or Perfect Dark for N64. So the DVD kind of completes everything that you could know about this game. Most Gamestops will have it, special edition, for $20.
I returned it because the damn thing wouldn't close and my OCD kicked in. I just got the regular edition.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
MrMario2011

MrMario2011's Gamercard
I completely agree, I picked this up for $10 at the BB sale, they had like 10 or 15 copies of this game! Anyways, I started playing it and couldn't stop, I just got the last achievement I need in it (250 melee kills). I like how for every achievement you unlock, it unlocks something within the game, so the achievements aren't only just numbers. I do highly recommend it. I don't think multiplayer would be good in this game as it was a bit slow paced, but co-op would have been excellent! I'm selling this game soon, despite how good it is I have 1000 in it and even going through it a second time wasn't as fun as other games I've gone through multiple times. Also, co-op or some downloadable content would make me keep this game. The game unfortunately is too old and unpopular for any DLC, but we can always hope in Jericho 2! I for one will deffinately pick up the sequel!

This game deserves at least an 8 out of 10! Many games I play with low reviews like 4's 5's or 6's, just aren't good. For example, Kane and Lynch, it got low reviews but they were true. The guy at GameSpot got fired for his brutal, yet spot on review of it! Some people did like it don't get me wrong, but I for one didn't. This is one of the few games I've played that got low reviews and ended up being amazing! My only complaint was that at times the game was too quiet. The dark, nasty backgrounds really deserve to have some dark guitar or metal played with them.

Completed Retail:

Clive Barker's Jericho (1000/1000)
Condemned (970/970)
EA SPORTS FN 3 (1000/1000)
Fallout 3 PC (1550/1550)
Halo 3 (Original 1000)
King Kong (1000/1000)
Lost Via Domus (1000/1000)
Oblivion (1250/1250)
TMNT (1000/1000)
Wanted (1000/1000)

Completed Arcade:
Dash of Destruction (200/200)
The Maw (Original 200)

Last edited by MrMario2011; 05-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
MrMario2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
stevieboy65

Stevieboy65's Gamercard
I've really enjoyed it too but am stuck at the end. How do i kill the firstborn?
stevieboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I agree.
Took a break from playing Sacred 2 today, (can get a bit repetative) and picked this out, and what was mainly for achievements today has left me actually really enjoying it. (Just going back to do the 250 melle kills and that's 1000 on that one).
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Missingnin80

Missingnin80's Gamercard
a friend scoffed at me for buying it and i knew for a fact he hadn`t played it and told him not to judge things he had no basis for an opinion on...he kept commenting on how crap it was supposed to be according to reviews he`d read I said i disagreed...he played it really liked it and was very embarrassed. I think the weapons/abilities are fantastic, gameplay is solid but like the guy who started the thread i think the level design and enemies get a little repetitive however It`s a game i`m really pleased i own. I got it for a measly 8.99 and it was the tin version too brand new and sealed!.
Like a previous poster I found the ending a little dissapointing...didn`t want anything epic just some kind of ending really...i mean it doesn`t even really tell you anything you`re just left hanging.....maybe a sequel will emerge, I hope so....it`d be a good game to make a sequel to....
Missingnin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
big red marino

big red marino's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Based on the reviews here and the possibility of an easy 1000 I have this coming from GameFly. Looking forward to it.
big red marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #15
truecorpse

I just got done with this game a few days ago and i will say that it is a great game. I thought it had one of the most original storylines and cast of characters ive seen. The only downside to the game is that its to short. Plus its an extremely easy 1000 gp.
truecorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Pheonix_Assassin
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to Pheonix_Assassin

Phe0nixAssass1n's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I just started playing this game today after i was given it to borrow off my step brother and i must say it is awesome

Truly is underrated and it is a shame it is a classic FPS
Pheonix_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
Graivul

Heroic Bishop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Yeah I have to agree this game is seriously underrated. Yes there are a few little niggles (like any game) but to see the reviews it has received it is totally unjustified.

When you look at the scores the reviewers gave it, it is quite clear to me how it scored so low. There is no onine / co-op mode and I love the game for that all the more.

The last thing we need is another Gears / Halo / COD. We have too many games with online modes tagged on and online achievements which are an instant turn-off. Then there is the inevitable lobby full of 12 year old special needs cases doing nothing but swear over and over again because mommy can't hear them, or just basically abusing everyone. I can live without that crap, long may Jericho remain the shining light of an example to what a real game should be like.

Graivul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #18
Vitiate

Send a message via AIM to Vitiate

Omega2486's Gamercard
I bought this game, and just love it. Definetly a hidden diamond experience, Ive 1Kd for 4 other people for points so far, one of my favorites.

I refuse to use MGC, they never updated my profile.
Vitiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
drexsack

drexsack's Gamercard
Nice and very easy game, easy 1k, but a total stupid boss fight and one of the worst endings ever.
drexsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
for the price i bought it (10 bucks) the game was pretty good, a little repetitive but good nonetheless. Unfortunately the ending was so awful that my personal rating for the game was knocked down a couple notches. Still has decent replay value though.
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #21
That SAM Guy

That SAM Guy's Gamercard
Nice. I've looked at this a few times. Think I'll give it a try.
That SAM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #22
SoulFlame555

SoulFlame555's Gamercard
I bought the collectors edition off the bat. Always been a Barker fan! Story was fun and interesting, the gameplay was smooth.

Most people drop it after 5 minutes because they don't even give it a bloody chance!

I worked at Hollywood Video as a Store Manager for a while prior to company closing, and recommended this game a LOT. Usually came back with a bad review, until I asked how long they played it!? Give it at least 15 minutes folks!
SoulFlame555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
LeopoldX92

Leopold X92's Gamercard
I totally agree, this game is great. Sort of wish they had allowed for co-op but overall a really well done first person shooter
LeopoldX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
ReapingEcho

ReapingEcho's Gamercard
I thought this game went under the radar also. Got it for 10 bucks used couple years ago at gamestop and thought it was pretty good. Acheivements were a blast to get cause they were easy lol.
ReapingEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 AM   #25
montana97

montana97's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i likened it to oblivion crossed with call of duty.
montana97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
Deadly Noob92

Deadly Noob92's Gamercard
i got this game for like $7 new, so it was really cheap. I was expecting it to be really glitchy and shallow story, but was presently suprised. This game, while creepy in some instances, is rather enjoyable to play. I think it could have gotten a much better score than it was given. I love how many of the historical periods and characters are accurate, thus making it even more enjoyable. I definatley recommend this too!

need a boosting partner for:
Deadly Noob92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #27
Bcleal

QcK Dagger HeaT's Gamercard
After reading this i picked it up at gamestop for $7.50 Looks like a good game ill give it my opinion after i play it Hopefully its as good as everyone says it is.

Born March 2010
10k-June 29 2010
20k-Oct. 28th 2010
30k-Feb. 2 2011
40k-Mar. 24 2011
50K-June 18,2011
Gamerscore Completion: (85.02%)
Bcleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
justinb24

Justinb24's Gamercard
This is a good budget game. Don't expect to be amazed but I am having more fun with it then I would of thought.
justinb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #29
Eddy Kemp

Eddy Kemp's Gamercard
This thread inspired me to pick up the Collector's Edition for ~$11 on Amazon. Looking forward to cracking it out this weekend.
Eddy Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
FrozenRaptorz
Banned User

FrozenRaptorz's Gamercard
Still a great game when you consider its probably $5 at gamestop. I kind of got a Metro 2033 vibe from it.
FrozenRaptorz is offline   Reply With Quote