PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Silent Hill: Homecoming
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
aServantOfGod

aServantOfGod's Gamercard
I give up

title.

Another game that is just too frustrating for me. I hate games where the controllers hamper your ability to play. And this game is one of those. The game's ability to dodge around the needlers is retarded. And fuck Scarlet. I am quitting with 160. Maybe someday they will fix it and I can come back to it. But for now, this game is headed back to Gamefly.

Sorry for mouning. But this game pisses me off.
aServantOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
tonyturbo

TonyTurbo78's Gamercard
I was exactly the same dude. I only picked the game up the weekend just gone and was really struggling around the police station with no ammo, little first aid and an inability to dodge enemies. I persevered for a while, stuck with it and finally got a good knowledge of how to dodge every enemy without taking much damage if any at all.

I have just completed the game tonight and enjoyed it massively. The dodge button is the most important button in the game and once you learn to let the enemy attack you first, followed by a succesful dodge and counter combo you will find the game great.

Needlers along with the Order Members are the easiest enemies to take out. For the needlers just wait for it to raise it's front legs and roll to either side followed by a quick heavy attack with X, you wont loose any health and be on your way.

Dont give up with the game, it really is much better than the reviews given.
tonyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
HighsounD

HighsounD's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyturbo View Post
I was exactly the same dude. I only picked the game up the weekend just gone and was really struggling around the police station with no ammo, little first aid and an inability to dodge enemies. I persevered for a while, stuck with it and finally got a good knowledge of how to dodge every enemy without taking much damage if any at all.

I have just completed the game tonight and enjoyed it massively. The dodge button is the most important button in the game and once you learn to let the enemy attack you first, followed by a succesful dodge and counter combo you will find the game great.

Needlers along with the Order Members are the easiest enemies to take out. For the needlers just wait for it to raise it's front legs and roll to either side followed by a quick heavy attack with X, you wont loose any health and be on your way.
Dont give up with the game, it really is much better than the reviews given.

That won't work in the sewers where you face three needlers, because every time you dodge another one raises his legs so you have absolutely no chance whatsoever to take them out without firing your pistol or shotgun. I freaking hate this game sometimes.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
big red marino

big red marino's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Seriously...on your first play through...I think there was one boss that really pissed me off, save the nurses. When you get into the hotel that is the toughest area. You can almost always run past enemies. Also, have you tried using any of the serums that you have found. This increases your health.
big red marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Asgorath

asgorath's Gamercard
I agree that Scarlet is really difficult at first (and very annoying you need to keep going through that conversation every time you fail), but with some practice she becomes easier. Oddly also after that the game becomes easier and easier. Somehow it seems to have a bit of a reversed difficulty-curve. The bit with Scarlet is the most difficult, the rest after that is a joke.

I've played through the game fully around 3 times (as I refuse to read achievements guides for games with a heavy storyline before finnishing it at least once - so my save games where a bit messed up ) and every time it becomes easier and easier. And that's before getting the laser pistol and it truly becomming a joke.

It's a good game, worth the effort one puts into it. But I also cursed a lot at Scarlet, trust me.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."
- Col. Tigh (BSG)

Asgorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Sinister5

I gave up alot earlier than you guys and have just stared at it a few times since shaking my head in bewilderment. Im not the best gamer but man this game frustrates me as much as switching to controllers after 10 years using mouse and keyboard!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
B2KSTR8R!PP!N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgorath View Post
I agree that Scarlet is really difficult at first (and very annoying you need to keep going through that conversation every time you fail), but with some practice she becomes easier. Oddly also after that the game becomes easier and easier. Somehow it seems to have a bit of a reversed difficulty-curve. The bit with Scarlet is the most difficult, the rest after that is a joke.

I've played through the game fully around 3 times (as I refuse to read achievements guides for games with a heavy storyline before finnishing it at least once - so my save games where a bit messed up ) and every time it becomes easier and easier. And that's before getting the laser pistol and it truly becomming a joke.

It's a good game, worth the effort one puts into it. But I also cursed a lot at Scarlet, trust me.
Serious?? i finished beating scarlet on the first try on hardest difficulty.
but yer it realy is a good game though.(much better than any review gives it)
B2KSTR8R!PP!N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Alexdelicious

II DiscoBurn II's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighsounD View Post
That won't work in the sewers where you face three needlers, because every time you dodge another one raises his legs so you have absolutely no chance whatsoever to take them out without firing your pistol or shotgun. I freaking hate this game sometimes.
Don't know if you're still struggling at that part but others might be so this could be useful; if you run backwards (closer to the save area) as soon as you see your first needler, they hesitate and will come towards you individually. You can also back right off if you get overwhelmed - this will make them scuttle away and let you take another shot. It's frustrating but as you get more of a feel for the controls the awkwardness is hardly noticeable.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
Dimensive

Dimensive's Gamercard
I didn't have much trouble adapting to the controls, I always play inverted, not sure why they excluded that option but whatever.

Dimensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
ippiki_ookami

RA8ID P3NGUIN's Gamercard
I'm shocked at what I'm reading. This game was difficult only where it needed to be. There were no parts where I was frustrated by the combat, the pacing was great, visuals were stunning, the score was hauntingly beautiful (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is my favorite artist of all time), and the enemies were among the best in the series so far. In four (or five, don't remember) playthroughs I had all the achievements, and I still play it. I'm not a very skilled gamer, but I had no trouble with this game. Shame on those of you who game up on it early on. This game is a near-masterpiece.

Last edited by ippiki_ookami; 09-07-2010 at 09:22 AM.
ippiki_ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Ruthless Remix
Banned User

Ruthless Remix's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by aServantOfGod View Post
title.

Another game that is just too frustrating for me. I hate games where the controllers hamper your ability to play. And this game is one of those. The game's ability to dodge around the needlers is retarded. And fuck Scarlet. I am quitting with 160. Maybe someday they will fix it and I can come back to it. But for now, this game is headed back to Gamefly.

Sorry for mouning. But this game pisses me off.
well done im giving up on 80 GS
Ruthless Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
bloodswan

bloodswan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I never found the game hard at all to be honest. Scarlet can be a little difficult at first but just practise a bit and you'll be fine. I found the controls fine and the combat decent. It isn't an action game and if u feel combat against mutliple foes is too hard than make a run for it. The original Silent Hills were more about evading than facing enemies save for bosses and a few set areas. The fact u have little ammo is traditonally Silent Hillish. You'll be missing out on an easy 1000 and a good story if u do quit prematurely.
bloodswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Kyanite

Send a message via AIM to Kyanite Send a message via Yahoo to Kyanite

RCPD Zombie's Gamercard
I'm currently on my second time through, but the first was easy. I found the Siam enemies to be difficult, but the nurses, needlers, lurkers, and ferals never became a problem. The first boss was simple, Scarlet was a minor pain (I beat her on my third try), the third boss was also simple, and the final boss was easy once I figured out its pattern in its second form.

I am actually surprised to read that people are frustrated to the point of giving up. Homecoming isn't the best game by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel that the controls are good enough to where they shouldn't be a problem. The camera can get in the way, but I expect that out of any third-person game anymore.

Though I don't have the full 1000 GS as of right now, I'm certain that I'll have it by this time next week . . . and that's factoring in work, school, a social life, and watching various sports.

100% Arcade Achievement Completion: 23
Kyanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Disavowed Knowledge

BornOfAsh's Gamercard
I'm not finding it hard, just boring. It really sucks because earlier games in the series were so good, but this one feels so slow...I can't be bothered to keep going with it because nothing's happening.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
MrHyms

I hated it for the first hour or so, then it started making sense.

I don't mind that the controls are a little stiff - Resident Evil / Alone in the Dark / Dead Space were all similar, and to me it adds to the challenge of the game - it's a survival horror game - you're not meant to feel like an uber ninja able to just walk through enemies.......
MrHyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
Biohazard214

Biohazard214's Gamercard
I received the RROD while playing this game. Had fun while it lasted but never again.
Biohazard214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Joanna

I can't play this game for a particularly long period of time at once. After so long of nervously trying to dodge any and everything (and often failing, until you reach some kind of mastery), I'm often too irritated to do much effective dodging. I do well for about an hour at a time, though. Maybe small doses will help?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #18
Admiral Axtell

Admiral Axtell's Gamercard
I started the game my first playthrough on hard (don't ask why I regret it immensly....) made it to the sewers to the part where there are the three needlers and then the two bigass monsters, I gave up and hadn't touched it for 9 or 10 months til the other day i restarted on normal, i really really like the game when im not getting my ass kicked.

100% Retail (All DLC included):
GUN. Dead Space. Fallout 3.
100% Arcade:
Dash of Destruction. Battlefield 1943.
Admiral Axtell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
Mellow Tha Pro

Mellow Tha Pro's Gamercard
the simple fact that people make excuses for the horrible controls boggles my f-in' mind.
Mellow Tha Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 AM   #20
SevenJesterHats

SevenJesterHats's Gamercard
i Prefer to play Disney than this....

and i will

SevenJesterHats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
TakkunEG

TakkunEG's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Most of you are better than me! I quit with 10G - Kill a Nurse! That first group of nurses pissed me off, and what is all this dodge bullshit?

However, after playing Alan Wake (which was a little more challenging than the other SH games, for me anyway), I might pick this one back up again and at least give it another try. It may have been that it was the first game I tried to play on the 360. Maybe I should have cut my teeth on something easier (Fable II was the next game I played and finished it many times, still playing it off and on.)

Last edited by TakkunEG; 02-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.
TakkunEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Verdinial
Banned User

TF x Redemption's Gamercard
It made me smile to see how pissed off some of you are I didn't get annoyed at the game, I was just generally shit. I think I stopped at 140?
Verdinial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
I got the game yesterday (well I had it in 2009 but traded it in then cheated gamerscore so I've actually got 70G unattainable right now but it shows on my screen) and I got 490G + 70G from before. I completed the game within 18 hours lol.

I enjoyed it. Scarlet did do my head in first time round, 'cos I couldn't master dodging her ceiling attack but I figured out how. When you hear her scream, she's on the ceiling. walk forward and only press B once when it pops up. I did this second try and beat her. 'Cos on my first try I just kept panicking and pressed B like a madman.

It's not a frustrating game by any means, you just have to understand it. And yeah, needlers and schisms did my head in too with dodging... Smog's did my head in 'cos I barely ever had any ammo.

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Ameno

I like Homecoming a LOT in contrast to SH Downpour. I only played Silent Hill on the PSX and SH 2 on the PS2. I also did 1000/1000 Downpour and really didn't like it that much. The key to winning in this game is the Serums, Health Potions, and the combat roll is actually quite useful for dodging attacks.

If you are having that much trouble just use Pants' road map and get the OP UFO gun. Or you can try running from enemies but except for a few locations this game is very tolerable and easy. But then again, I am pretty good at survival horror games and have some experience speed running.

Last edited by Ameno; 06-17-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Ameno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #25
mrj3d

FrehleyzComet's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I dunno I thought it was pretty good. I got the 1000 without any problems. Glad I didn't pay a lot for it, but I enjoyed it.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
danihendrixx

danihendrixx's Gamercard
Im not agree with most of you. I think that its a good game, not a 10/10 game, but a good game. I have the 1000g.
danihendrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Radgeta

Radgeta's Gamercard
I beat the game once and sold it afterwards.

Too bad it takes me awhile to beat games so I missed out on getting more money back.
Radgeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #28
Devin Caitlyn

Devin Caitlyn's Gamercard
This game was so disappointing and the combat was legitimately terrible. Dodging things was basically impossible. It was definitely not worst my purchase.
Devin Caitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote