PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Shadow Complex
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
pacokorn77

Nintendo Tim's Gamercard
Post Achievement Guide and Road Map to 200

Achievement Guide

Overview

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 6/10
-Offline: 12 (200)
-Online: 0 (0)
-Approximate amount of time to 200: 15-20 hours
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2
-Number of missable achievements: 1
-Glitched achievements: None
-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No cheats
-Does difficulty affect achievements?: No

Introduction
Welcome to the world of Shadow Complex.

First things first, the reason for the amount of playthroughs is because of the leveling up. You are allowed to carry your stats over to a new game, and early play testing (IGN) has revealed it will take many playthroughs. Also, the item collection achievements has you complete the game with 100% items collected ("Completionist"), the other is 13% or less ("Minimalist").

Finding all the collectables without a map will be long and tedious. Beating the Proving Grounds challenge maps can take a while, depending on your competency with the game. Simply beating the game can take ~6-8 hours. Considering the size of this game, it’ll take a while to span the entire map, which is – roughly – 3 times the size of Super Metroid’s map.

Step 1: First Run
Play the game; simple enough. You can earn between 8-9 achievements (160-180) in your first playthrough, depending if you get all collectibles or not. Difficulty doesn’t affect achievements, so play on Casual. You will be able to get all the combat-related achievements. Achievements you will not unlock are: "Proven Grounds", "Minimalist" and "Serious Complex". I do not recommend you go for the Minimalist achievement on your first playthrough.

Step 2: Proven Grounds
Once the game is completed, go for "Proven Grounds" (think Bionic Commando: Rearmed). Simply put, going for the Proving Grounds at the start is "not advised;" you don't know how the game works yet. You can go straight for this after the initial playthrough, or…

Step 3: Minimalist
Go for "Minimalist", the 13% run. Do NOT go out of your way to collect items. Again, difficulty will not affect, so use Casual.

Step 4: Mopping Up
Go for "Serious Complex;" this will take you awhile. You can continue your game after beating the final boss; simply click Campaign and Continue. You start off right where you left off before the final boss. Just make sure you go left instead of right. You can start a new game with your existing level, experience and bonuses. Your entire inventory will be reset.

If you didn’t earn all the combat achievements in your first playthrough, go for it again. Play on Hardcore or higher once you've gotten the hang of it, as the higher difficulties net you an XP bonus for the higher difficulties.
Also, the "Walkin' on Water" achievement is missable, so be sure to get that before the final boss fight.

Conclusion
This game should not be difficult in reaching a full 200. The only places I can see there being difficult/time consuming will be reaching level 50 and completing all of the Proving Ground challenges.

ACHIEVEMENT GUIDE

.::COMBAT::.

Let’s Get Punchy : 15
Melee 5 soldiers

I
f you’ve been making use of the melee button (), you should get this fairly early on. Get close enough and an icon will pop up in the lower right corner, indicating you can melee.

Bomba Punter : 20
Punt 20 Bombas

You'll have to get a Bomba (spider-looking things with bombs attached to the top; you'll encounter them early on)
on ground level with you. If they are on the wall, shoot them just a few times and they will fall. Walk/run up to one and press , repeat.

Bombas have a
short window between dying and exploding. They will "die" once you shoot them enough, as they will collapse to the ground and white sparks will emanate from their bodies. You will have a few short moments before they explode. One type (the ones with yellowish-green bombs attached to their heads) will explode as soon as they die, do don't worry too much about missing an opportunity.

My Head A-splode : 20
Get 50 headshots

Use the to aim for enemy heads and fire with the . Better done with guns that are not the Inertial Element.

Make ‘Em Scream : 20
Get 100 soldiers to scream

To get an enemy to scream, you must knock them off a high area. In other words, however you kill your enemy, make sure they fall a good ways down to make them scream. It looks as if they need to fall roughly 15-20 feet in order for them to scream. Below are a few known methods to get enemies to fall from a high place:
  • Explosion: Use explosive barrels or grenades to knock your enemies sky high, or off of a platform.
  • Melee: The stronger your melee attack, the better chance you have of knocking your enemies further away from you, and hopefully down a chasm (or a high enough altitude).
  • Foam: Use the Foam Gun and aim close to the enemy's feet. Lob a grenade into the foam for a "Sticky Grenade." With the explosion at their feet, it will launch them into the air. With the added height, the falling distance will cause them to scream (thanks Achpoques!).

Look Out! : 5
Kill a soldier with a Bomba

You can get this as you’re working towards your Bomba Punter achievement. Simply kick one into an enemy.

The earliest you can score this is in the beginning on your way to the helipad. After swimming for your first time, enter the door immediately to your right. Walk up, press and the Bomba will go flying into the wall just behind the enemy. Give it a second for the blast to kill the enemy.

.::STORY::.

To Kill a Blackbird : 15
Destroy the helicopter attacking the vice president

Story related; cannot miss. Happens at the very beginning of the game in the Prologue. Using the secondary function on your rifle () makes this a breeze.

Hero : 50
Complete the game on any difficulty setting

Unless you give up, which I hope you don’t, you’ll get this once you beat the game. Use the easiest difficulty setting, just in case. It will unlock once the game finishes tallying your overall score.

Last edited by pacokorn77; 08-29-2009 at 12:44 AM.
pacokorn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
pacokorn77

Nintendo Tim's Gamercard
.::ET CETERA::.

Walkin’ on Water: 5
Make it from one end of the lake to the other in hyperspeed

Once you obtain the Friction Dampener, return to the first body of water you had to swim across with the lone house in the middle in the upper right section of map. Start from the inside of the cave (get rid of the lone enemy and Bomba), start from the left and run.

You'll hit hyperspeed once you hit the dock. Once you reach the house, jump up to continue running across the roof. Land on the other side of the house (don't jump off), it'll unlock once you reach the other side. Don't let off the button until you hear it unlock.

This must be done before the game points you to the lake for the final boss fight, or you will have to start all over again.

Completionist : 20
Complete the game with 100% of the items

Possibly the second most tedious achievement, you need to beat the game with all 127 items collected. Collected items are displayed as a small dot, and those you have not come up as a '?'. Use the Flashlight info screen to determine what weapon you will need to get past multiple blockades.

You will obtain the complete schematic for entire base fairly late in the game, you will start to find pieces to the armored suit. The game will eventually point you towards the lake, which is the end of the game! You may continue the game once you've beaten it, just reload your previous save and you end up right before the end. Turn around and start hunting.

Here is a link to a map that uses Joystiq's map as a basis. Click on the item you're missing and it'll link you to a YouTube video on how to get it. Much more effective than just staring at a map.

TIP: You can check the progress of your achievements (ala Orange Box) via the Achievements section of the pause menu.

Minimalist : 10
Complete the game with less than 13% of items

You need to beat the game with less than or equal to 13% of items, or less than 17 items (13% of 127 is 16.51, to be exact). There will be times where the game forces you into collecting an upgrade, so just snag it. Do not go out of your way to obtain an item.

Check out Phillosoraptor's Minimalist Walkthrough Thread, or for those who just want a list, here's one provided by our own Renesis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesis
Just finished Minimalist at 11%. Here are all the items I got by the end of the game.

EQUIPMENT (5)
  • Climbing Gear
  • CLD Thrust Pack
  • Omega Armor XOS-7
  • SCHCA Mask
  • Friction Dampener
WEAPONS (5)
  • Flashlight
  • WSAR60 Coil Rifle
  • Grenade
  • Missile
  • Foam
PICKUPS (4)
  • Health Upgrades 0/8
  • Armor Upgrades 0/8
  • Grenade Packs 1/30
  • Foam Packs 1/20
  • Missile Packs 1/20
  • Gold Bars 1/12
  • Passkeys 0/12
Proven Grounds : 10
Complete the three challenge packs in the Proving Grounds

The Proving Grounds are available at the start of the game. Familiarize yourself with the game before tackling these. They are challenging, not impossible, but, most importantly, incredibly doable. This could be the most difficult achievement in the game, if your competency with the game is lacking.

Serious Complex : 10
Level up to experience level 50

T
he most time consuming achievement in the game, you just need to keep leveling up. You can continue your game even after the final boss to keep leveling up. Select [Campaign] > [New]; it will ask to delete your data, select [OK]. Your level, experience and bonuses carry over, but nothing from your Inventory. Remember:

"Keep your level and bonuses, lose your inventory."

TIPS:
  • You earn multipliers for melee kills, head shots, and power moves, which are all part of a "Skill Kills" system. The game has a breakdown of this system in the pause menu.
  • Go for the 12 Gold Bars before starting a new game. You will unlock a new, secret area, right next to where you got your handgun. Here, you are given access to the golden versions of all the weapons available in the game (including the Intertial Element), which enable double XP throughout your entire Shadow Complex career. No matter how many times you select "New Game," you will always have access to these Golden Guns.
  • Go for a higher difficulty once you've gotten the hang of the game, as you will be automatically awarded an XP bonus just for playing on Hardcore or higher (thanks MASS DOMINATION).
  • I've added upon this YouTube video with my own method:

Last edited by pacokorn77; 08-29-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
gunnerh

I think that if you do certain stuff in the game , you get certain gamerpics .

I just got this one

For destroying that tarantula thingy.

There will probably be alot more , eg for completing the game in 2 hours , on insane etc
gunnerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
pacokorn77

Nintendo Tim's Gamercard
Yep. I got it around the same time. It's my new gamer pic.

I'm almost done with the guide, working out a few kinks here and there, making sure everything sounds right and is easily understandable. Within the next hour...??
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
gunnerh

Yeah cant wait for it , atm i only got 3/12 .

Most achievements dont look that hard , they just look very long to do .
gunnerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
FakePlasticTree

FakePIasticTree's Gamercard
Looking forward to the guide!

^^^ Follow Me!!! ^^^
FakePlasticTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacokorn77 View Post
Once you obtain the complete schematic for entire base, you will start to find pieces to the armored suit. The game will eventually point you towards the lake. This is the end of the game! Make sure you've gotten all 100% before heading there.
So are you saying once you beat the game, it auto saves at the end which keeps you from playing any further for that campaign?

I'm at the part with the exploding dome room. I'm assuming that takes place before the lake, because after I did that scene, my next destination was above ground to the right. I didn't save after that dome scene because the dome room wasn't located in a place where I can accidentally go to and I was unsure if I was already at the end. Plus I still had one more piece of armor to get and X amount of items. At least this game doesn't require you to visit 100% of the map because just about every square above ground seems impossible to visit.

Last edited by optics; 08-19-2009 at 07:29 PM.
optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Necr0sc0pe

Necr0sc0pe's Gamercard
Quite helpful!
Necr0sc0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
pacokorn77

Nintendo Tim's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by optics View Post
So are you saying once you beat the game, it auto saves at the end which keeps you from playing any further for that campaign?

I'm at the part with the exploding dome room. I'm assuming that takes place before the lake, because after I did that scene, my next destination was above ground to the right. I didn't save after that dome scene because the dome room wasn't located in a place where I can accidentally go to and I was unsure if I was already at the end. Plus I still had one more piece of armor to get and X amount of items. At least this game doesn't require you to visit 100% of the map because just about every square above ground seems impossible to visit.
The game will save right before the lake (the explosive '!' mark is the save point). When you beat the game, reload, and you can continue from the lake edge and get the rest of the collectibles.

I edited the guide to better reflect this tidbit.

Last edited by pacokorn77; 08-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
lacke

l4cke's Gamercard
Just finished the game and got Minimalist. Had 13% items and didn't pick up anything extra other than that unavoidable gold bar.

No extra life, 1 gold bar, 1 grenade canister, 0 passkeys, 1 grenade canister, 1 foam canister, 1 missile canister.

When I say 1 canister, I mean when you pick up the weapon you don't technically pick up the weapon, you pick up a canister.
lacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
pacokorn77

Nintendo Tim's Gamercard
So, you're saying you only picked up 5 items? That's asides from the weapons you end up getting, such as the M4 and the such, as well as armor that's story related, right?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #12
HeyKnee

HeyKnee's Gamercard
Quote:
.::STORY::.

The collectible in question is in the yellow box. According to their legend, this is a passkey. There are no destructible areas around it, so I assume it is in the elevator shaft above the elevator itself. There is a way underneath the elevator to bring to the ground floor, but the only way that I can see to get back to the top is to traverse across the lake above. Problem is, get too far in the game, and you won't be able to traverse the lake, due to the final boss battle. So it seems you should clear out the purple area before getting to far ahead of yourself to be on the safe side. And no, I do not have this one myself. If anyone knows how to get it without going across the lake, please let me know.

I'll try my best to explain this one myself. You do NOT actually have to go all the way around to get this passkey, you don't even have to leave the elevator shaft. However you come to it, you need the elevator to be on the bottom and then get underneath of it. Ride it up from underneath and then shoot out the two vents on the sides. Still hanging on to the bottom of the elevator, start it going down and immediately let go to drop and hang onto one of the two vents just below where you are. Climb into whichever vent you fall on and let the elevator pass by, climb out and ride the elevator to the top. There is then a decent length of tunnel to climb through but you can get to it easily enough. If you take the same route back then it's the same idea, instead you'll start the elevator going up and then climb back into a vent and let the elevator pass by.

Good Luck

25K - June 3, 2009
50K - June 11, 2010
HeyKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
bawj

bawj bawj's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKnee View Post
I'll try my best to explain this one myself. You do NOT actually have to go all the way around to get this passkey, you don't even have to leave the elevator shaft. However you come to it, you need the elevator to be on the bottom and then get underneath of it. Ride it up from underneath and then shoot out the two vents on the sides. Still hanging on to the bottom of the elevator, start it going down and immediately let go to drop and hang onto one of the two vents just below where you are. Climb into whichever vent you fall on and let the elevator pass by, climb out and ride the elevator to the top. There is then a decent length of tunnel to climb through but you can get to it easily enough. If you take the same route back then it's the same idea, instead you'll start the elevator going up and then climb back into a vent and let the elevator pass by.

Good Luck
yeah I thought it was pretty easy to figure out, I cant believe people actually went all the way around lol
bawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
SebastianSB

SebastianSB's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:

The collectible in question is in the yellow box. According to their legend, this is a passkey. There are no destructible areas around it, so I assume it is in the elevator shaft above the elevator itself. There is a way underneath the elevator to bring to the ground floor, but the only way that I can see to get back to the top is to traverse across the lake above. Problem is, get too far in the game, and you won't be able to traverse the lake, due to the final boss battle. So it seems you should clear out the purple area before getting to far ahead of yourself to be on the safe side. And no, I do not have this one myself. If anyone knows how to get it without going across the lake, please let me know.
I don't know if this has been posted yet (don't feel like reading the whole thread) but all you have to do to get that item is take the elevator to the bottom floor, shoot through the floor, crawl through the vents, and ride the elevator up to the top while hanging from it. To get on top of it, ride it up to the top floor first, then use the foam to break either of the two purple spots below you. Tell the elevator to go down, then quickly drop down and climb into the vent you just opened. Wait for the elevator to pass, and ta-da! You're above it now.

RBN Weekly Updates: http://www.trueachievements.com/lead...erboardid=1576
Attack of the Blog! http://sebspot.wordpress.com/
SebastianSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
KrakenGreyjoy

Send a message via AIM to KrakenGreyjoy

KrakenGreyjoy's Gamercard
Quote:

There is yet another collectible that may cause you to start anew. In the light purple area, on the far right, you will see an area that looks like a giant 'E'. Here is a section of the map -courtesy Joystiq - that will explain:

This could be considered the second most tedious achievement.
This may have been commented on, but I was too lazy to read the thread (I know, bad on me) but you CAN get this passkey without crossing the lake.

Simply get under the elevator as stated above, then blow out one (or both) purple hatches with the foam. Now start the elevator down and quickly jump in the vent. Once it's passed jump on top and take it to the top, there are two yellow vents, the passkey is in one of them (forgot which one, doesn;t matter, explore both).

I beat this game before getting my 100% with just 1 aquired passkey and at just 74%, so you CAN go back and get everything you need for 100%.

Also, you should make mention that there is a passkey in the same room as the scuba mask. If you got the mask and not the key, there won't be a "?" for the room. So double back and pick it up.

Thanks

Divinity within...I watch my temple fall to pieces.
KrakenGreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
phatmuther

phatmuther's Gamercard

Awards Showcase A+ Thread Award
Quote:

Your last collectible will be during the final boss fight, which is the final grenade expansion. You might be able to earn it beforehand, but as of right now, you must go into the final boss fight to earn this achievement. The game does not save after you've beaten the game, so obtaining the grenade expansion won't do anything for you other than a refill and give you the achievement, if you have everything else.
I got all 30 grenade upgrades before I did the final boss fight. Dont exactly know how I did it, but you can do it.
phatmuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
Achpoques

AK Eclipse's Gamercard
Extra tips on Make 'Em Scream and Leveling Up to 50

I've gotten nearly all my scream kills from hitting enemies with the foam gun and sticking a grenade to them as low as possible on the foam so they go flying up. Regardless how they land, they normally got enough air time to scream.

The multipliers you see above the XP bar come up for 'Skill Kills'. Headshots and melee kills are the most common ways I see. Just string together some headshots and melees and you can get the 'max' multiplier easily.
Achpoques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
Trips

Tripts's Gamercard
One thing worth noting for "Completionist" is that if you start the game on Insane mode (perhaps hardcore too, although I'm not sure), the map will NOT show any ?'s regardless of whether you lower the difficulty.

If you want to play Insane for leveling up, as well as get completionist, start the game on normal and then change the setting while in game.

EDIT: Actually I have learned that the map will display ?'s based on the difficulty you restart at. For further clarification I will give 2 examples.

Example 1: You are playing on insane mode and die. After restarting you lower the difficulty, the map will still display like it would if you were on Insane. (No map icons)

Example 2: You were playing on insane mode, then switch to normal and die. After restarting the map will not display ?'s as well as other labels to help the player. (Map icons)

Last edited by Trips; 08-20-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Elit3 m0nkey

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Nice guide. Will make it a lot easier to get the achievements.
Feel free to add me, but make sure there is a message or else I will delete it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziva David
Well, you know what they say. You cannot make an omlette without breaking a few legs
Elit3 m0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote