PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Batman: Arkham Asylum
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Hobbz

Hobbzinio's Gamercard
Seriously, f*ck the combat challenges!

Fair enough to anybody who can sit there and have the patience to deal with them, but I have had enough.

I have completed the game, got all the riddles, done all the predator challenges and I am left with the combat ones, what a joke they are. Before you claim I am unskilled or lack the patience, I have tried for hours to complete them and the same bs happens.

An enemy will come out of nowhere, the counter will fail and he ruins a combo, I will press the attack button and the game wont recognise it thus ending my combo, it just really isnt worth the hassle.

I will rest with completing the game fully without the combat challenge achievements. Lets be real, the combat in this game is definetly the weakest element so relying on chance to fluke your way though a combat challenge cos the combat gameplay wasnt created to properly react to your movements isnt my idea of fun.

Peace!
Hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Lowpes

Lowpes's Gamercard
Yeah the combat challenges can be really frustrating and most times it seems like it's the game's fault especially with the combat. Instances where Batman doesn't react fast enough or when the Y button counter icon shows up too late don't help at all when trying to get the 3 medals. Hopefully a patch will fix some of the clinks in the combat gameplay.
Lowpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Yeh there driving me mad as well, ive asked for tips but i just dont see how people can get like 70k over what is needed.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
ThePumpkinKing

The Winter King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
The combat system isn't broken. If it were, no one could beat the challenges.

And now I'll beat a dead horse:

Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
Resident Evil 5
ThePumpkinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
Lowpes

Lowpes's Gamercard
Not arguing that the combat is broken, it's not if anything its fun to play. Just the few instances in the combat challenges where the combat becomes a little hectic and the there is a few weird glitchy moments. Without those it would have made it a little more enjoyable.
Lowpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
KNIGHTOFSERA

hyrulesknight's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinKing View Post

Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
^exactly.....they are hard but possible, some people dont have perseverance...Took me 10+ hours to beat shock and awe extreme...so obviously im not super skilled but I did it cause this game is too awesome not to get 100%

KNIGHTOFSERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
FalseHope4829

Send a message via AIM to FalseHope4829

Truth x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:

Fact.
I couldn't agree more. Getting 3 bats on all challenges takes alot of skill and practice. It took me a very long time but it's not chance at all, it's your skill using batman and the whole range of moves. And there are many guides and tips for this. And dont for a second think that you are or were the only one cursing at this game calling the challenge's mother all sorts of derogatory comments, sexually even, if they had one lol. Keep the faith!!

And I had the same feeling smokestacker, I owed it to batman to 1000 it. Takes a hell of a game for you to get your ass kicked and come back for more.

Games Completed

RETAIL:
Avatar: TLA: TBE, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands (1750), Borderlands 2, CSI: Hard Evidence, Fable II (1350), Fable III, Fallout 3 (1550), Fallout New Vegas (1655), Fight Night Round 3, Gun, Halo 3 (1750), Oblivion (1250), Resident Evil 5 (orig 1000), Shadowrun, Skyrim (1300), Terminator: Salvation, TMNT, The Darkness

Arcade: 3D Ultra Minigolf, Dash of Destruction, The Maw (250)

Last edited by FalseHope4829; 09-07-2009 at 03:07 AM.
FalseHope4829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
Fizzmatix
Banned User

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Bright Idea   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I don't really see why your so upset about these challenges, yes they are hard. I don't intend on beating them, i normally end up killing all the enemies before i can get a decent score.

So far my highest combo have been around 35 or so and i know it wont go any higher than that. Either practice and don't complain about it or just or just accept that your probably not going to beat them.

I have plenty of other games i want to play over this one once they come out so i will give the challenges a blast once in a while and just keep trying. If i never do them at least i tried.
Fizzmatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
asdf123

Quote:

Fact.
And luck
asdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
My Gamertag is Papa Skull
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf123 View Post
And luck

In my opinion, it takes no luck at all.
My Gamertag is Papa Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
bloodswan

bloodswan's Gamercard

I just started the challenges and it is quite daunting. I am not that good at stringing combos together though I managed 35 once. I just always seem to lose my combo counter. I thought this would be an easy 1000 but now if I get 1000 I'll know it will be a job well done
bloodswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.

But there's only a few in each field that are 'world class', coz Tiger Woods has the correct aptitude for golf...no matter how much practice and patience I could put into playing golf, I would never beat him.

(And I mean on a real golf course, not Tiger Woods '09)

As I have said, some people have 'got' the combat and are good at it, some haven't.

Boba Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
KNIGHTOFSERA

I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....cause I kept at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Phil View Post

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.
Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Phil View Post
Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.
One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.......In this case the greats would be the people at the top of the leaderboards where most will be way below in the minor minor leagues

Last edited by KNIGHTOFSERA; 09-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTOFSERA View Post
I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....
There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.
They keep their combo up, diversify and probably get the perfect knight and perfect combo bonuses at the end

cause using all moves in the combo is 5k a round, then 1k each round for flawless freelow, 500 for not getting hit

at the end they probably get the overall bonuses

Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total
I know you didn't mean 'straight', I would have seriously doubted anyone sanity if they sat for 10 hours straight to get one cheeve! :P

I can usually pick up a feel for a game in the first 20 minutes, in fact, with any sport as well. Some I 'get' straight away, some I just don't. I have put a good couple of hours into the combat, I just don't get it. And that's all the techniques I've read about on here.

Quote:
One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.
I agree. You don't need to be 'great', you just need to 'get it'. And, to sound like a broken record, some people get it, some aren't.

It's a weird 'design' by Eidos. The majority of games, most people can pick up and play, but with Bats, it just odd that some do, some don't.

Again, as was said by someone else, if the story mode had 'explained' the combat, it might have made a difference. Chances are, if you came round my house and showed me, that might work too. :P

Boba Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
SleepingDemon

SleepingDemon1's Gamercard
You don't really have to be great to get these challenges, if you want to be high up on the leaderboard, then that's one thing. But on most of these challenges I barely got over the minimum points, and that was achievement enough for me. I'm telling you guys, if I can get it, anyone can get it eventually. I am in no way a pro gamer, but I told myself I wasn't going to quit until I got my 1 K out of this game. It took some time, but eventually I was able to pull it off. Just take the maps one at a time, hell, I only survived all 4 rounds on Shock and Awe like 4 times, and only once with over 30 K. It isn't impossible.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #18
Half Baked Tiny

Send a message via AIM to Half Baked Tiny Send a message via MSN to Half Baked Tiny

Half Baked Tiny's Gamercard
Quote:

Fact.
agreed. op maybe your not all that used to stringing combos together eh?

Arcade 100% : Uno, Gauntlet, Dash of Destruction
Half Baked Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
Wrinklefighter

Grreen lantern's Gamercard
Quote:

Fact.
You'll get no better response than this. They were hard I'll give you that, but the combat system is nowhere near broken.
Wrinklefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Boiled Frogs

BoiIed Frogs's Gamercard

there's only 2 things i find annoying;

1. the camera angle
2. double crouching instead of grappling

Boiled Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
lkraan

RedLeeder's Gamercard
I think that this type of game is just not for everybody. Just like I think that some people are by nature good at FPS or race games.
I am not good at this and will never get the combat challenges on gold. even if I play it for 40 hours.

But I sure as hell love this game!

lkraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #22
Asaji

Asaji's Gamercard
I Just got The final one, rumble in the jungle extreme, and I got it in a lulzy way too.
I was doing pretty subpar- by the time I got to round four, I had, and I quote, 11165 for round 1, 5640 for round two, and 6470 for round three. Not high enough for even one medal.

So I start round four and I get into a rodeo combo...and another...and another....and another...and a fifth one. My multiplier climbed to 48 combos and my score for round four totaled 30330, giving me a grand total of 58,105 points, the three medals, and the achievement.

Lol, wut?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #23
CuddlyREDRUM

CuddlyREDRUM's Gamercard
Quote:

Fact.

Reading what OP's say takes skill and practice, also.

Fact.
CuddlyREDRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
VGJ Sam

VGJ Sam's Gamercard
I can only get 2 bats on most of these challenges....
Well Keep on trying....
VGJ Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #25
Jakez123
Subscribing Member

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGJ Sam View Post
I can only get 2 bats on most of these challenges....
Well Keep on trying....
make sure you ground pound the enemies on the combat challenges, all you have to do is get a 3x combo then evade then critical strike to get another 2x + combo to your meter then evade then critical strike then evade then critical strike etc, when there is like 5-6 people left and you have a combo of around 30-40 (depending on the room) bat claw 3 people then evade onto the first person pulled by the bat claw then bat claw the last 3 people then quickly ground pound 1 person then rinse and repeat till there is no one left.

if you had a combo of 30 and did this to 6 people you would get 18,000 on the ground pounds alone excluding the 8,000 from the combos and the bonuses which gives you around 26,000 a round or more

Beating Dirty in Killer Instinct is as easy as 123
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #26
xMIKEYGLASSESx

xmikeyglassesx's Gamercard
Get that variation bonus! The 5000 point boost for the 9x variation is a massive help. Try for that at the beginning of each round then its batarangs and batclaw to enable loads of ground pounds. Get this down and you'll get the points you need easily.

Then it just comes down to beating the later rounds of Shock'n'Awe Extreme before the clock runs out! The tip that helped me was to run straight for one of the side platforms, exploding gel the floor, and ground takedown as many floored thugs as you can. Then get to the other side and do it again. Worked for me.
xMIKEYGLASSESx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
eiVaL

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
the worst is when you have only a few guys left an he breaks the combo cause the next guy is too far away....ive had this happen a few times an its crap cause most of the times he'll do some gymnastic triple cartwheel across the entire floor to get to some guys but then other times he doesnt....
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #28
True Marvellous

True Marvellous's Gamercard
What are you the Dark Knight or the Dark Wimper, suck it up man.

Combat system isn't broken, if your counter doesn't work you've probably missed the window or will have initiate another move before hand.

If your too far away from guys that's what your baterang & batclaw moves are for.

Toasters Toast Toast
True Marvellous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #29
Devil Sora

Send a message via AIM to Devil Sora Send a message via MSN to Devil Sora

Devil Sora's Gamercard
I'm having a hard time with the combat as well but the Predator ones seem more chalenging. . . .I know its simple. . . do this do that and then it doesn't matter if you get "shot" still I'm a raving perfectionist and I try to go for a super fast time instead of sitting around with a thumb up my ass. . . . I've watched the vids and people doing this shit like its no big deal. . . .but when I do the exact same thing some prisoner waits outside for me to pop my little bat head out. . . .I know I can do the combat ones its just a matter of utilizing the Batclaw and ground takedown. . . .you might not think it but each ground takedown gives you 100 points X however big your combo is. . . .doing the math that for example is 21 X 100 = 2,100 thats alot of points. . . . for just one takedown.
Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.
------------------------------------------------
Devil Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #30
strawberry

Da 2pacalypse's Gamercard
hey common now, the combat in this game is amazing. the combos just look and feel so right. The combat challenges are made this way so they are a challenge (hence the name) If you dont have the patience to get them, thats cool, because beating the game and getting all the riddles was enough for me. so just leave it, who cares... but dont go cussing at the game because you dont want to participate in something in it.
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote